ADVERTISEMENT

Jerome Hunter

Smith is a 3/4 Hunter a 2/3 maybe. Hunter has better handles. If Smith doesn't have the perimeter skills to start at 3, he'll back Morgan up or be the small ball 4 when Morgan plays 5..

After Morgan gets his advice from scouts do you think he will be hesitant playing the 5, and instead maybe work on stretch 4 position? I'm going to assume his knock at the NBA level is breaking down a player from the wing with the ability to hit a a deep shot or take a player to the hoop. I could be way off, but I don't know if playing the 5 will help his prospects by the end the of the Sr. year. I think if he has any chance its that 3/4 versatility that a 6'7 guy excels at in the NBA.

After Morgan gets his advice from scouts do you think he will be hesitant playing the 5, and instead maybe work on stretch 4 position? I
It's not his choice. hope Arch isn't like Crean where he plays players to the benefit of them and not the team. Team first ....

Last year Rob was told he needed show his PG skills to get to the next level. Arch didn't play him at point. So...

I also suspect having Morgan as a dual threat and expanding his game to the perimeter more will help both him and the team. We have more options this year and won't have to use him as a work horse in the post as much.

It's not his choice. hope Arch isn't like Crean where he plays players to the benefit of them and not the team. Team first ....

Last year Rob was told he needed show his PG skills to get to the next level. Arch didn't play him at point. So...

I also suspect having Morgan as a dual threat and expanding his game to the perimeter more will help both him and the team. We have more options this year and won't have to use him as a work horse in the post as much.

It was a joy watching him in the post, and as you said, I hope he becomes a dual threat. He showed spurts at the perimeter and it is escaping me if he ever did a little pump fake and stepped in a few feet and knocked down the jumper. Put all those together and I believe he to be something special.

Davis is Sonja athletic and after Achilles I don’t see that improving any.
No less athletic than Haas, or Wesson, or Watkins.

His efficiency numbers are outrageous, including having decent defensive numbers. In some ways better than Cody, and glaringly better than Vonleh or Bryant.

I really don't get the dislike, and that's what I assume it is, for him. Is it his hair? You see his weakness but completely ignore and dismiss his strengths.

Top 10% scoring per minute.
Top 5% total production (PER) per minute.
Top 15% Blocked Shots per minute.

Never turns the ball over, 7% TO ratio. While having a high usage factor.

75% of FGA at rim with a 70% FG% . Again, with a high usage factor. 2nd highest on team slightly behind Juwan 24 vs 26.

9.2 FTA per 40. < that is a glaring stat. Cody was 9.8 to put it into perspective with higher average possessions per game.

His only issue is motor, which is obvious looking at MPG, rebounds and fouls. And, now an injury.

I doubt many here understand just how good his efficiency numbers were.

Last edited:

His efficiency numbers are outrageous, including having decent defensive numbers. In some ways better than Cody, and glaringly better than Vonleh or Bryant.

I really don't get the dislike, and that's what I assume it is, for him. Is it his hair? You see his weakness but completely ignore and dismiss his strengths.

75% of FGA at rim with a 70% FG% . Again, with a high usage factor. 2nd highest on team slightly behind Juwan 24 vs 26.

9.2 FTA per 40. < that is a glaring stat. Cody was 9.8 to put it into perspective with higher average possessions per game.

His only issue is motor, which is obvious looking at MPG, rebounds and fouls. And, now an injury.

Who said I don’t like him? He is
6’10 and plays like he is 6’5 in the
Post. Yes those efficiency numbers are
Solid but it’s a Concern when a team without frontcourt depth can only get 18 minutes a Game out if him and 4 Rebs

Reactions: IUgradman
He is
Post.
That's incredibly untrue.

75% shots at the rim with a 70% FG% with a 24% usage factor drawing 9.2 fouls per 40, flushes your statement like a turd. Those are big boy numbers rarely found and even rarer in a soph who was not a HS pro prospect. They are as good as Haas was a soph.

If he actually played as bad as you say he did, and improves by playing 5" taller he would put up better numbers than a majority of pro All Star lottery picks .. 28.5 PER playing 5" shorter. If he gets it to 33 to 35 he would equal David Robinson, Shaq and Duncan numbers.

What he really needs to do is work on his lower body strength so he doesn't get knocked off balance as much as he does and doesn't tire and foul as much. The injury doesn't help his cause.

Last edited:
That's incredibly untrue.

75% shots at the rim with a 70% FG% with a 24% usage factor drawing 9.2 fouls per 40, flushes your statement like a turd. Those are big boy numbers rarely found and even rarer in a soph who was not a HS pro prospect. They are as good as Haas was a soph.

If he actually played as bad as you say he did, and improves by playing 5"5 taller he would put up better numbers than a majority of Pro all star lottery picks .. 28.5 PER playing 5" shorter. If he gets it to 33 to 35 he would equal David Robinson, Shaq and Duncan numbers.

What he really needs to do is work on his lower body strength so he doesn't get knocked off balance as much as he does and doesn't tire and foul as much.
You are spinning the numbers..he was not very good thisbyear. Who did those efficiency numbers come against? Also why did we get better once he was out of the lineup?

Totally agree, Crean utilized players to the detriment of the team while they developed their skills. Most likely did this based on promises. This issue and over recruiting crushed team chemistry.
Bottom line any HS program who truly knew him he did poorly with. It was getting progressively worse.
It’s possible to develop your game while helping your team win, its happening at Villanova.

Reactions: T.M.P.

He's a fkn Notre Dame fan.

Total idiot.

oh my god.
1404497_profimedia0349343124_ls.jpg

McRoberts should never sniff the starting lineup with the roster we have for next year whether Romeo comes or not. Play Hunter, Anderson, and the other young guys.

Who said I don’t like him? He is
Post. Yes those efficiency numbers are
Solid but it’s a Concern when a team without frontcourt depth can only get 18 minutes a Game out if him and 4 Rebs
He sure did look pretty good against Duke this year. They had trouble stopping him in the paint.

Hunter is just outside of a McDonald's All American. .He'll contribute next year ..But Davis is .And will be. A big disappointment. Imo.So slow .Can't hedge.No jumper even from ten feet.
Get's consistently blocked around the rim by smaller player's. Hopefully Archie never recruits player's with his skills. .If he does..We'll languish mid pack in the Big Ten forever. .

You are spinning the numbers..he was not very good thisbyear. Who did those efficiency numbers come against? Also why did we get better once he was out of the lineup?

You are saying he had a bad year because the team improved as the season went on with a new coach?

And he played hurt....

Besides free throws and his motor on defense, Davis is a very good player.

Why do you keep saying his isnt?

You are saying he had a bad year because the team improved as the season went on with a new coach?

And he played hurt....

Besides free throws and his motor on defense, Davis is a very good player.

Why do you keep saying his isnt?
He is solid but he is far from being very good. Very good is Marvin Bagley Jr, Bamba, Ayton. Only getting 18 minutes a game and 4 Rebs isn’t “very good”

McRoberts should never sniff the starting lineup with the roster we have for next year whether Romeo comes or not. Play Hunter, Anderson, and the other young guys.
McRoberts will play 15-20 minutes a game because he is a better than average defender and a better than average rebounder without downsides. He will be even more solid next year.

He is solid but he is far from being very good. Very good is Marvin Bagley Jr, Bamba, Ayton. Only getting 18 minutes a game and 4 Rebs isn’t “very good”
we don't need him to be "very good"(although it would be great if he was), all we need is for him to be in the solid to good range. With the other talented players we have - Morgan, Smith, Hunter, Romeo (yes, Romeo is coming to IU), Anderson, Green - we just need a "big" to keep the defense honest. Add in Thompson, Forrester, McRoberts, Durham and Phinisee we will have a very deep team.

Get's consistently blocked around the rim by smaller player's.

No he doesn't ... that's utter and complete BS. a person "constantly" getting blocked wouldn't have a 70% success rate at the rim.

Just another example of only pointing out his weaknesses, while completely ignoring his strengths. Biased much? Every player has weaknesses, and every player has strengths. Why is it you some of you only see one side with Davis and completely dismiss the other?

It's got to be the hair... no other explanation. Maybe if he got a crew cut, you guys would see his value.

Reactions: mike41703
Lol ... then he would have left after his freshman year and this discussion would be moot.

According to you you have to be in the top .00646 percent to be "very good".

Flush turd....
Your efficiency numbers are like yards per carry for the number 2 rb. The guy plays 18 minutes a game and averages 9 and 4. He isn’t a very athletic big man and plays below the rim. How often do you see a drop step and dunk for him? Hardly ever. To me he is a quality back up and nothing more.

Your efficiency numbers are like yards per carry for the number 2 rb. The guy plays 18 minutes a game and averages 9 and 4. He isn’t a very athletic big man and plays below the rim. How often do you see a drop step and dunk for him? Hardly ever. To me he is a quality back up and nothing more.

Look at Haas in his sophomore year for an example. About the same in efficiency.

It's obvious you just don't like his hair and/or have some bias which is fogging your perspective.

Reactions: mike41703
Look at Haas in his sophomore year for an example. About the same in efficiency.

It's obvious you just don't like his hair and/or have some bias which is fogging your perspective.
What are you talking about with the hair? Like I said he is a solid backup and I look for Thompson and Forrester to steal more minutes from him. I would say he averages more like 12 minutes a game next year

I didn't say he was a NBA lottery pick......just very good. lol

He played HURT last year.

Haas averaged 5.7 boards and 23 mins a game. Davis will do better next year and I considered Haas very good this year.

Davis will easily start at the 5 for Indiana and will probably average double digit points, shoot some godly % from the field, and pull down around 6 boards a game.

Defense and free throws are the weak spots.

Of course, thats if he is healthy......

Last edited:
What are you talking about with the hair? Like I said he is a solid backup and I look for Thompson and Forrester to steal more minutes from him. I would say he averages more like 12 minutes a game next year

Hahahahahahahahaha Forrester stealing minutes from Davis.

Wow.

My only beef with Davis is he can't be the plodder that I think he is...like Haas is (since we're comparing him).

In a half court offense he's incredible. He has great footwork and passes out of double teams supremely well (if we had any shooters it would have been nice).

In one on one situations around the bucket he's unstoppable. That's a tantalizing combination having a post guy who can pass out of double teams. If we get Romeo our half court offense should he pretty fun to watch if Davis can get back to 100%.

That being said, he really struggled rotating and getting this packline, as the whole team did.

He's obviously not going to help you much starting, sustaining or finishing in transition. He doesn't block shots, run or even rebound well right now.

He's also a major liability at the line. Him drawing fouls is only good for getting guys in foul trouble so far.

Seems to me he's a real weapon in the half court offense and a liability outside.

For me the big question is...did the team improve defensively because of Davis or despite of him? I honestly don't know. It seemed like our close outs and switches we're quicker going lean (McBobby, McSwain, Smith and Morgan).

If it's the latter and Davis starts getting it defensively too....then he'll be a monster asset.

All my 'feelings' of course. Lol

Reactions: cshartle123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT