ADVERTISEMENT

IU Boosters/Donors

Yes....and my point is that if it seemed off from day 1, shouldn't it have seemed obvious to the guy hiring him on day 1 minus 1?
Fred Glass is, and always was, an incompetent Athletic Director. He's very skilled in fundraising and rubbing elbows with deep-pocketed boosters, but that's the entire scope of his skill-set. He's an ineffective leader. It's as simple as that.

If we keep Archie, I hope we are absolutely pitiful next season. I hope it’s an embarrassment. I wish he would cheat and give them a black eye. The fact that this administration keeps this guy around is beyond. His non-coaching ass will probably get 2 more years.

I thought we had a booster that pulled all the strings at IU and was ready to write the check to get Archie out of here?

Is that not the case anymore?

I respectfully disagree on this. Take the Philadelphia 76ers for example. Their executive-level management actively engaged in a "tanking" process for four full seasons to turn the organization around. While it's not easy, rooting against the IU program to elicit necessary recourse is best for the long-term health of the program.
I’m no NBA fan, but it’s a little different with pro sports fans hoping to get a lottery pick or a early draft pick (NFL). IU fans can’t hope to get the first pick in a high school player draft. ;)

Reactions: MrBing and minneman
I thought we had a booster that pulled all the strings at IU and was ready to write the check to get Archie out of here?

Is that not the case anymore?

Boosters don't have the final say on those kinds of things. I heard a rumor that IU had an offer to fund the construction of an ice arena on campus and it was declined because the AD did not want to get into D1 hockey. Even though it's the third leading revenue sport in the conference despite only 7 schools having teams.

I’m no NBA fan, but it’s a little different with pro sports fans hoping to get a lottery pick or a early draft pick (NFL). IU fans can’t hope to get the first pick in a high school player draft. ;)
A new coach in college is more important than any professional draft pick. Far more important.

Boosters don't have the final say on those kinds of things. I heard a rumor that IU had an offer to fund the construction of an ice arena on campus and it was declined because the AD did not want to get into D1 hockey. Even though it's the third leading revenue sport in the conference despite only 7 schools having teams.

I know that. I was just poking fun at the guy because he said a booster pulled all the strings at Indiana and if he wanted Archie gone, he was gonna make it happen.

Does anyone on this board know who any of the prominent IU boosters and/or donors are? I'd be interested to know who the potential candidates would be to pull their generous donations in light of the current trajectory of the program.
I'm gonna guess the list includes: John Mellencamp, Andy Mohr, the Cook family, the Simon-Skojt family and a transplanted Texan ironically named Cuban -- among many others.

What teams do you root for besides IU? Hawaiian beach volleyball?
IU in all sports above all other schools because I’m an IU grad and fan. OSU because I taught there. UD because I support the local team. Navy because I was Navy. Cincinnati Reds because I grew up in Reds country during the Big Red Machine years. Dallas Cowboys because I have family in Texas and the first game I saw as a young kid was the Cowboys with Roger Staubach, Calvin Thomas, et.al.

Who are your teams?

Bing is right that women’s beach volleyball is good too.

Reactions: Cutter1973
I have the same opinion on this. He's only 61 years old, so it's not as if he's legitimately reached "retirement age." Between the firing of Kevin Wilson, the firing of Tom Crean and the lame duck hire of Archie Miller, I believe Glass saw the writing on the wall and decided to leave on his own terms.
Trust me Fred Glass does not have to worry about a social security check to retire. Many people retire at that age.

On track for what? Another 20 win or less bubble team? Just making the tournament isn't good enough at a program IU and Archie hasn't even proven to be able to do that 3 years in.
Some people just like t be unhappy and assume the worst. Lighten up Francis!

IU in all sports above all other schools because I’m an IU grad and fan. OSU because I taught there. UD because I support the local team. Navy because I was Navy. Cincinnati Reds because I grew up in Reds country during the Big Red Machine years. Dallas Cowboys because I have family in Texas and the first game I saw as a young kid was the Cowboys with Roger Staubach, Calvin Thomas, et.al.

Who are your teams?

Bing is right that women’s beach volleyball is good too.

IU basketball, Vikings, Celtics, Red Sox. In that order. I don’t watch or care about any other sports.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Mr. Assembly Hall seems to be a big donor. They named the basketball arena after him.

Mr.
Seriously?
My goodness you're "poorly informed". You do realize it's the SIMON Skjodt Assembly Hall don't you?

Reactions: destewart
I’m sorry but how many losses do we have this year by 15+ points. Do you think this team should be in the NCAA tournament?
16-9 with 6 to go. IU will either win enough or they won't and you can't do a damn thing about it.

Why get so pissed off? Is your health, happiness, and security based on a group of college kids? I don't want an answer, but think about your priorities.

16-9 with 6 to go. IU will either win enough or they won't and you can't do a damn thing about it.

Why get so pissed off? Is your health, happiness, and security based on a group of college kids? I don't want an answer, but think about your priorities.
Because I’m a super competitive guy. I don’t play sports or watch sports to pass the ****ing time. I like my teams to win and to at least be competitive in games. This team is one of the least competitive teams on the road I have ever seen.

Reactions: snarlcakes

Yeah with three games on the road and none are Nebraska. We also have Penn St. and Wisky at home. The odds of us winning enough is about 20%.

Mr. Assembly Hall seems to be a big donor. They named the basketball arena after him.

Mr.
Seriously?
My goodness you're "poorly informed". You do realize it's the SIMON Skjodt Assembly Hall don't you?
You are close. Melvin Simon is CEO of Simon Property Group, a publicly traded corporation. Cindy Simon Skjodt is his daughter, and she is the one who made the whopping donation to update Assembly Hall.

You are close. Melvin Simon is CEO of Simon Property Group, a publicly traded corporation. Cindy Simon Skjodt is his daughter, and she is the one who made the whopping donation to update Assembly Hall.
Mel died 10 years ago. David has run SPG for awhile.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Would those 7 schools be in states like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, for example?

Title IX is one of the main issues. Glass can’t expand men’s athletics without expanding women’s sports, as well.
Thanks for reinforcing my point to the original poster, who seemed to be advocating taking on men's hockey because it was a good revenue producer.

Fred Glass is, and always was, an incompetent Athletic Director. He's very skilled in fundraising and rubbing elbows with deep-pocketed boosters, but that's the entire scope of his skill-set. He's an ineffective leader. It's as simple as that.
In his practice as a partner in one of Indy's prominent law firms he had substantial experience in facilities development and financing, something IU needed at the time he was hired. If you have ever been around him, he is not exactly a hand slapper and elbow rubber.

Mr.
Seriously?

giphy.gif

Thanks for reinforcing my point to the original poster, who seemed to be advocating taking on men's hockey because it was a good revenue producer.

If they invested in an arena, they would have likely fielded men’s and women’s teams, solves the title ix issue. Given Chicago’s / St Louis’s proximity yet only club teams at northwestern, Illinois, etc. surprised it wasn’t successful if funding was there. Huge youth hockey footprint in Chicago. Truly a “if you build it they will come” scenario.

Yeah so? You think kids from those states don't come to IU? Notre Dame plays hockey in the Big Ten also.

It’s not about getting the players, those places can make money because they have fanbases that buy tickets. Minnesota/Wisc do quite well and are exceptions, but even places like Mich and MSU are only pulling in the range of $3 million a year, which is about break even money.

Because we all have to suffer through these negative posts non-stop, everyday. It's fun to remind you all that your certitude is not a substitute for knowledge, and your constant negativity is foolish.
Several wish those old insufferably stupid post were forgotten. If they’d only said, “I think this will happen,” instead of posting in absolutes as if their opinions were facts, they’d be less foolish looking. The perpetual negativity would still be an issue, but at least that would be coming from their opinions instead of them treating their opinions like facts.

Because we all have to suffer through these negative posts non-stop, everyday. It's fun to remind you all that your certitude is not a substitute for knowledge, and your constant negativity is foolish.
You’re suffering? On an internet fan forum? Just stop reading them if they’re that emotionally draining for you. The whining here is off the charts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT