ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly on the IU Head Coach Position

Just don’t know if he could pass our ethical inquisition since he is another distinguished show cause recipient from the NCAA. Need to pass the purity test like the witch in Search Of The Holy Grail.

I don’t know how anyone could coach the Vols for multiple seasons and have to listen to the effin pep band play Rocky Top endlessly.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Just don’t know if he could pass our ethical inquisition since he is another distinguished show cause recipient from the NCAA. Need to pass the purity test like the witch in Search Of The Holy Grail.

I don’t know how anyone could coach the Vols for multiple seasons and have to listen to the effin pep band play Rocky Top endlessly.
That’s a legit concern for sure in my opinion. His likability and charm may win over people like Pam and certain trustees who are probably most focused on character risk.

Beard on the other hand doesn’t have that charm. Almost no chance with him.

IU isn't hiring any coach that had a show cause penalty. And anyway, Pearl is 63 years old. Is that really the best direction?
I'd be excited with the move. I know we've been wrong a couple times recently on buyout dynamics being a hinderance... But with Woody's at 12, and Pearl having a sizeable one himself at Auburn...seems unlikely we'd make the move on Woody AND stomach the Auburn buyout AND then pay Pearl 6+mil a year.

From a pure basketball standpoint, I would have no concerns on his age. He'll have 4-5 really good years left. That'd be ample time for him to get IU back to elite status.

But honestly...we don't "need" Bruce Pearl.

1. Good teacher of basketball
2. Coaches a style that appeals to all players
3. Good enough personality to sell IU, handle the job, and maximize our NIL advantages

There are probably 100 guys like this up and down the college coaching ranks that would check all these boxes, and would be successful at IU.

How we keep picking fundamentally flawed coaches is baffling to me.

I'd be excited with the move. I know we've been wrong a couple times recently on buyout dynamics being a hinderance... But with Woody's at 12, and Pearl having a sizeable one himself at Auburn...seems unlikely we'd make the move on Woody AND stomach the Auburn buyout AND then pay Pearl 6+mil a year.

From a pure basketball standpoint, I would have no concerns on his age. He'll have 4-5 really good years left. That'd be ample time for him to get IU back to elite status.

But honestly...we don't "need" Bruce Pearl.

1. Good teacher of basketball
2. Coaches a style that appeals to all players
3. Good enough personality to sell IU, handle the job, and maximize our NIL advantages

There are probably 100 guys like this up and down the college coaching ranks that would check all these boxes, and would be successful at IU.

How we keep picking fundamentally flawed coaches is baffling to me.
Me thinks that IU has settled on coaches who showed flashes of success at a high level...but lacked the consistency and longevity of that success before IU hired them.. Miller and Crean come to mind. Up and comers who showed a season or two of success. But...this is the B1G, where parity and infighting is extreme. To be in the top 4 of this conference on a consistent basis...it takes a coach who is a cut above, at least in the conference.

Posted today Woodson..

“Every year I’ve coached, when things don’t go well, I point the finger at me. A lot of coaches won’t do that, but at the end of the day, when things go well, I point the fingers at the players,” Woodson said on Monday.

Didn't I hear that Pearl also has a very large buyout to leave Auburn? So, in addition to the 12 million we might owe CMW, we might also have to pay to get Pearl. Think there's a similar issue with Beard.
IIRC Pearl’s current buyout is just under $17.5 million. It might change around April 1st, not sure, but possibly still be well north of $12 million going forward.

IIRC Pearl’s current buyout is just under $17.5 million. It might change around April 1st, not sure, but possibly still be well north of $12 million going forward.
Way too much to pay for a coach of that age who's got about 5 years left in his career.

Way too much to pay for a coach of that age who's got about 5 years left in his career.
That is what donors are for. Money is not an issue with IU donors.

Ryan Phillips

@RumorsandRants
·
42m

Bruce Pearl really pushing hard for the Indiana job... #iubb

·
4h
Bruce Pearl jokes: "I've always been a guy who knows the 3-point shot is worth more than the 2-point shot. Not everybody's got that figured out."

• Haha
Reactions: dr.jb
I didn’t look very hard but I think the buyouts might be getting mixed up here. Is that the buyout if he leaves or if he gets fired? I think it might be gets fired.

I found this regarding him leaving: “If Pearl leaves the job between May 1, 2022 and April 30, 2023 he would owe the university $10 million. If that happens the following year it would $8.5 million. For the following year it would drop to $7 million and then go to $5.5 million between May 1, 2025 to April 30, 2026.”

Again, sorry if I missed something. It maybe be $8.5M. Still a chunk of change but less.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
This is what I read.

Pearl leaves the job between May 1, 2022 and April 30, 2023 he would owe the university $10 million. If that happens the following year it would $8.5 million. For the following year it would drop to $7 million and then go to $5.5 million between May 1, 2025 to April 30, 2026.

So it’s actually 8.5 million. Woody buyout would be 12.6 million. So just over 20 million total just to move the head coaches.

• Sad
Reactions: Bucket Getter

That’s as true as anything ever posted here. After attending that fiasco of a Gator Bowl a couple years ago, my brain still hasn’t been right. That damn song was stronger than the 6 double margaritas I tried to drown it out with.

This is what I read.

Pearl leaves the job between May 1, 2022 and April 30, 2023 he would owe the university $10 million. If that happens the following year it would $8.5 million. For the following year it would drop to $7 million and then go to $5.5 million between May 1, 2025 to April 30, 2026.

So it’s actually 8.5 million. Woody buyout would be 12.6 million. So just over 20 million total just to move the head coaches.
Not that it matters much at all, but I think Woody’s buyout didn’t jump with his raise? Would it be three more years at $3M, so closer to $9M?

Once again revisionist history. Miller was lauded by EVERY poll and EVERY talking head as the TOP hire in college basketball. Even endorsed by RMK. To say, after the fact, that was a bad hire is 20/20 hindsight at best and nothing more.

I distinctly recall Don Fisher’s early take on Miller: “he’s Bob Knight without all the bullshit”.

Not that it matters much at all, but I think Woody’s buyout didn’t jump with his raise? Would it be three more years at $3M, so closer to $9M?
It actually did. It’s a raise so it bumped. Hes also do whatever incentives…etc. 100% buyout this year is 12.6 million. 4.2 million times 3.

It actually did. It’s a raise so it bumped. Hes also do whatever incentives…etc. 100% buyout this year is 12.6 million. 4.2 million times 3.
Haha. I don’t have his amended contract and would have guessed we didn’t also juice his buyout and tie our own hands further.

Thanks.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Dusty May appears to be the wild card...he is linked to alot of programs...WVa, OSU, UCLA...others...I don't think IU will act on Woodson to prevent losing Dusty May. JMO. Been burned twice with similiar candidates....Now he may be the real deal...but IU will take a pass if it comes down to May or Woodson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT