ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly on the IU Head Coach Position

Tammany Hall

All-American
Dec 10, 2010

Trilly is pretty plugged into the chatter if you follow him on recruiting.

I don’t know what happens, just passing along that there are “discussions”. Not sure how much donations and attendance fall with a really bad bball team, but a 10% decrease is $3-4M of revenue, so it can start to materially impact the athletic dept bottom line. Then there are our NIL donors who may pull back and risk to our brand (yea I know it’s already been hurt). We’ll see.

Reactions: Seyton and bIhawk
Brand is tarnished, but we are still a big program that could be very good with a good coach.
No denying fan support, and NIL money.

Any good coach will be like ya, I understand why you fired him. He was 106th in Kenpom with three NBA players and no1 that can dribble. Even if X were healthy, no other guards on the team. Galloway Gunn Cupps and Leal ? Really Woody?

Any good coach will be like ya, I understand why you fired him. He was 106th in Kenpom with three NBA players and no1 that can dribble. Even if X were healthy, no other guards on the team. Galloway Gunn Cupps and Leal ? Really Woody?
Spot on.

Reactions: bsmitty08

When Rosemond is one of your assistant coaches….you are running an inept organization.

Going in to year 3 after two modest seasons with those guards and an open scholarship is the CAUSE everyone always talks about. It’s as stupid as showing up for work drunk and wizzing your pants in front of your boss.

Will write this again, you can't fire a guy after one bad season. You will never get anyone worth a crap to come to Indiana.

Now, I do agree that I don't think he is the answer. I've said from day one, IU is too prestigious of a program to recruit kids using NIL as the main attraction. You'll never build a sustainable culture that way.

Will write this again, you can't fire a guy after one bad season. You will never get anyone worth a crap to come to Indiana.

Now, I do agree that I don't think he is the answer. I've said from day one, IU is too prestigious of a program to recruit kids using NIL as the main attraction. You'll never build a sustainable culture that way.
You can.

Billy Clyde got two seasons at UK, didn’t scare Calipari. Doherty got three at UNC, didn’t scare Roy.

Good coaches will look at Woody’s results and think wow that’s bad I understand the firing and I am an awesome coach and I will never be that bad, in fact I will be really good at IU.

I don’t know if our AD will move. But he could.

So, I don't agree with your premise but...
Dolson convinces him to retire and everyone is happy.

You can.

Billy Clyde got two seasons at UK, didn’t scare Calipari. Doherty got three at UNC, didn’t scare Roy.

Good coaches will look at Woody’s results and think wow that’s bad I understand the firing and I am an awesome coach and I will never be that bad.

I don’t know if our AD will move. But he
Gillespie had alcohol issues, there was cause for the change. Doherty is a good example but Williams was a long time assistant with a proven track record at Kansas. Also, he had a relationship with the AD and various influential alumni.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It’s fair Roy had connections at UNC.

Billy had some issues but if he was winning I suspect those wouldn’t have been a problem.

Also it’s not quite one bad season. It’s one horrible season and all signs point to next season being similarly bad. I don’t know I just can’t see a big time coach caring about that, but I never spoken to one about it to be honest.

I think it’s 50/50, not that it matters.

MonvalleyJ I agree with your sentiment to a point but...

1. NIL/Portal era a new coach can turn things around quicker
2. We hired a coach that was outside of the box... no college experience. It is evident his systems on both ends of floor are not working.

For Woodson's sake moving on may be the best thing for him.

As a former high school coach, I am reluctant to be a fire the coach guy. I could write a thesis statement on why he is not the guy though. Recruiting, relationships with players, and x's n o's are 3 key components. His recruiting has been vastly overrated in terms of fitting pieces together. Their execution on both ends is poor, and the losing/outside noise seems to be infiltrating the lockerroom. He is losing them. I think NIL and talent chasing led them astray. I am not bashing these kids talents or characters, but X, Ware, Reneau, and Mgbako have/had other priorities above winning games. Whether its cash, draft status, or whatever.

Gillespie had alcohol issues, there was cause for the change. Doherty is a good example but Williams was a long time assistant with a proven track record at Kansas. Also, he had a relationship with the AD and various influential alumni.

If this same scenario was happening with your Purdue program, I guarantee you would be singing a different tune.

You can.

Good coaches will look at Woody’s results and think wow that’s bad I understand the firing and I am an awesome coach and I will never be that bad, in fact I will be really good at IU.

Not sure Dolson has the authority. Definitely has the responsibility to do so.

If this same scenario was happening with your Purdue program, I guarantee you would be singing a different tune.
A lot of Purdue people coming over here to say:
- We can’t fire Woodson for some made up hypothetical reason
- Our fanbase is delusional and somehow a problem (it’s not, it’s really supportive,
Woody didn’t do much first two years and everyone was backing him)
- Coaches don’t want to come here (yea right they want to be top dog)

They should just be happy we mismanage our bball coaches, that’s all they need.

Exactly my point…evidenced in spades
Based on the following assumptions:
1. several starters will not be back as will several other subs who aren't living up to potential
2. We go thin on portal results, especially at the guard slots (just like the past 2 years)
3. No offense to Liam, but a one-off recruiting class with no guards isn't fixing this next year

No reason to think next year will be anything less than a disaster. And remember, the current failures are happening this year- when the B1G as a league kinda..well....sucks.

Dolson has to step up. If he does not act, and next year is same or worse, the natives will be coming for his head as well as CMW.

You can.

Those are outliers and we have no sure OlRoy thing. The Billy Clyde deal was crazy. He didn’t sign his freaking contract so it was easy to move on. Now…I will say the no NIL rules does change things. With IU having at least top 10 nil support probably changes things.

Those are outliers and we have no sure OlRoy thing. The Billy Clyde deal was crazy. He didn’t sign his freaking contract so it was easy to move on. Now…I will say the no NIL rules does change things. With IU having at least top 10 nil support probably changes things.
Given all the resources that this program has, it's sickening to be at the bottom of the league in year 3.

Yea, most of the good bball schools don’t have coaches that do as bad as ours. Those are the only examples I could find. Looks like Lville gave Chris Mack 3.5 years, which could be another example.

I guess the counter would be a bball school that had a coach that struggled in year 3 or 4 and came out of it to be successful. Has to be last 20 years or so. Jay Wright might sort of fit that, but I don’t know the context. I don’t think there are many.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
We’ve landed Crean, Miller, and Woodson. Why didn’t top coaches come then? Really think anyone worth a crap is landing in Bloomington? That’s why Woodson is here.

Woodson is here because of the Quinn Buckner AT&T Friends and Family plan.
This is Exhibit A exactly WHY you don’t hire underachieving friends. Woodson didn’t do shit in the NBA. He wasn’t on anybody’s radar to coach college basketball . Yet, we hired the guy with some weird setup with two other coaches aboard to help with
the navigation of the college landscape. Problem was that Woody didn’t want help. He thought the arrangement was insulting and they bolted or were booted.
IU’s problem has been too much input from incompetent university presidents and BOT members.
Crean was walking into a dumpster fire. Archie turned out to be a fraud.
The problem has been identifying competent coaches, not that nobody wants to come here. But in some cases, we did identify competent coaches (Belein) and they got overruled. Too much politics.

You can.

Plus, a good college coach will recognise that one of the major reasons why Woody failed was because of his complete lack of knowing anything about the college coaching game. They are two completely different jobs.

Were the last two years “good”? They both ended with embarrassing blowouts in the NCAA’s. Last season had the potential to be B10 champs and and a F4. This season is not an anomaly. Any prospective coach who is put off by the thought of not performing after 3 seasons should not be considered as a candidate.

Woodson is here because of the Quinn Buckner AT&T Friends and Family plan.
This is Exhibit A exactly WHY you don’t hire underachieving friends. Woodson didn’t do shit in the NBA. He wasn’t on anybody’s radar to coach college basketball . Yet, we hired the guy with some weird setup with two other coaches aboard to help with
the navigation of the college landscape. Problem was that Woody didn’t want help. He thought the arrangement was insulting and they bolted or were booted.
IU’s problem has been too much input from incompetent university presidents and BOT members.
Crean was walking into a dumpster fire. Archie turned out to be a fraud.
The problem has been identifying competent coaches, not that nobody wants to come here. But in some cases, we did identify competent coaches (Belein) and they got overruled. Too much politics.
NIL will help plus we might have a president that will at least support athletics. I’m hoping football and Cig hire is a home run. So far he’s walking the walk.

Reactions: IU 4 LIFE and 76-1

I strongly disagree. As I’ve said before, winners win and do not care if the previous coach was canned after year three unless they’re a loser as well.

A good coach will have the program trending upwards after the first year. This loser mentality surrounding the program is baffling. Anyone who argues that firing a loser will scare off other coaches worth their weight in salt has to be a low performing individual as well.

This isn’t middle management. This is a multimillion dollar per year job to perform to expectations. That is the precise reason we’ve sucked for 30 years.

Low performing losers having low expectations for low value coaches.

We’ve landed Crean, Miller, and Woodson. Why didn’t top coaches come then? Really think anyone worth a crap is landing in Bloomington? That’s why Woodson is here.

A bit of revisionist history. Miller had other opportunities and was the consensus top hire in college basketball that year. OSU fans were pissed when we hired him. He didn't work out but it isn't because he was unheralded.

And yes, I think a good coach can be hired here. Why wouldn't it happen?

Reactions: jmix and kmathum
I strongly disagree. As I’ve said before, winners win and do not care if the previous coach was canned after year three unless they’re a loser as well.

A good coach will have the program trending upwards after the first year. This loser mentality surrounding the program is baffling. Anyone who argues that firing a loser will scare off other coaches worth their weight in salt has to be a low performing individual as well.

This isn’t middle management. This is a multimillion dollar per year job to perform to expectations. That is the precise reason we’ve sucked for 30 years.

Low performing losers having low expectations for low value coaches.

This in SPADES. Coaching are mostly a type A personality and IMO, most think they can be successful ANYWHERE.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Plus, a good college coach will recognise that one of the major reasons why Woody failed was because of his complete lack of knowing anything about the college coaching game. They are two completely different jobs.
Which was about as dumb as hiring a coach with only HS head coaching experience.

Reactions: dr.jb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT