ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly on the IU Head Coach Position

Demographics probably play a role. If the donors in question are "older" and still feel nostalgic for RMK/IU basketball, Mike Woodson is still a name they probably feel comfortable supporting. Especially if Quinn Buckner is advocating for that. Heck, its even very possible there are very wealthy donors that don't even go to the games any more, but still give large amounts of money. "All American legend Mike Woodson needs your help!" "One of Coach Knights all time favorite players, Mike Woodson, needs your help."

Also, hearing excuses, ideas for improvement, justifications, etc... from someone like Mike Woodson probably gets heard differently than it did from Archie Miller.

The specific donor I've seen being mentioned as a hold-up are the Cooks.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I know what we discuss on here is of zero consequence...but it does seem more likely that we should be considering/talking about what Woody can do, to get the ship turned back in the right direction.

Here are some ideas...

1. Coaching staff shakeup...get rid of one of the "recruiter" assistants. And bring in a proven college head coach, from somewhere. Preferably one that has taught styles and principles that you believe in. If Woody wants to stick with his "nail" defense...scour the coaching ranks for coaches that have successfully coached that same defense, and won a lot of games doing it, as an example.

2. Late signee/Portal full court press... He needs to make a goal of finding a starter level player for each position. ESPECIALLY the guard positions.

3. Reinvent himself, his expectations for his staff and his expectations for his players. Sit with them at seasons end, lay out expectations of excellence. Most importantly the process that they're all going to meticulously adhere to, between now and the start of next season. And if they're not on board with that, they should leave. Most importantly, HE has to adhere to these expectations too. He might already do these things, but he needs to be at Cook Hall bring and early, and leave late. Instill that workers mentality. He needs to scour film of the styles and teams he wants to emulate, become a master at recognizing what good habits look like, and always be aware of whether his staff and players are progressing towards those habits or not.

I'm not asking some Joe Schmoe off the streats to reinvent himself, to change his path, to dramatically improve. I'm asking a guy that was an All American, that played for one of the best coaches to ever coach the game, that had the opportunity to be around, watch, experience players at the TOP, for a number of years...I'm asking THAT guy to tap in to all those experiences, and resolve to get better. And stop allowing "we're young"..."I can't take the shots for them"... stop allowing those to even be thoughts in his head, let alone things he says publicly to justify failure.

Woody CAN do all this. Its just questionable that he thinks he needs to, or has the desire to put all the work in to do it.
From my perspective that is WAY more work than I could imagine Woodson wanting to exert. He seems to struggle getting out to recruit in person regularly, let alone the things you lay out. Not to mention the humility it would take, which he doesn’t seem to have a great deal of.

From my perspective that is WAY more work than I could imagine Woodson wanting to exert. He seems to struggle getting out to recruit in person regularly, let alone the things you lay out. Not to mention the humility it would take, which he doesn’t seem to have a great deal of.
Very real possibility. And obviously its not the only way Woody can be "successful" again at IU. In reality, all he needs are a few impact portal guys. The "bar" at IU seems to be NCAA tournament appearances. I honestly think there are a lot of people that post on this board that could occasionally clear that bar, with all of IU's resources.

Man I’m almost 40 can we get a real coach for once? Bloomington is dead. This is sad. Everyone I talk to hates Woodson. Or maybe it’s because I lead off with good god he sucks.
this twitter/x post about Gallo (apparently) leaving is a little troublesome, especially the line "unless there are sig changes". Granted, those are not his direct words (that we know)....but just begs to ask....what 'sig changes" is he referring to???

Wonder if Gallo's relationship with CMW becomes frosty now. Really bad timing for this story to leak.

I think a part of it also has to be, why would a guy like Donovan (and his wife) want to leave a high class life in Chicago to come to Bloomington Indiana. Same reason Stevens (and his wife) didn't want to leave Boston. I can't stand living in big cities but when you have the money that these people do it's a completely different experience. Kirkwood Avenue and Lake Monroe doesn't quite compare to the Mag. Mile and Lake Michigan.
Nick Saban left Miami to live in Tuscaloosa. Anything can happen. Besides...Saban got quite a pay hike when he moved. Donovan would too. (We know it ain't happening...but, hey....dreamin' it beats the reality we are stuck with.)

this twitter/x post about Gallo (apparently) leaving is a little troublesome, especially the line "unless there are sig changes". Granted, those are not his direct words (that we know)....but just begs to ask....what 'sig changes" is he referring to???

Wonder if Gallo's relationship with CMW becomes frosty now. Really bad timing for this story to leak.
Do we know his relationship isn’t already frosty?
Gallo just doesn’t seem to be as happy or as productive this year. I bet he really liked playing with TJD and this years version just isn’t the same.

Will write this again, you can't fire a guy after one bad season. You will never get anyone worth a crap to come to Indiana.

Now, I do agree that I don't think he is the answer. I've said from day one, IU is too prestigious of a program to recruit kids using NIL as the main attraction. You'll never build a sustainable culture that way.
Tell that to UK and UNC.

BCG axed after two years..

Doherty -+former PLAYER at UNC, axed after 3 seasons.

How them programs doing?

One nad season? IU was meh Year 1. Yeah, yeah..NCAAT. As a walk-on, AKA "Play in game.." Year 2 ...14 losses again. Blowout loss in NCAAT...again.

It's beyond this

He may truly believe CMW has this and will turn it around next year. Just because we don’t agree with him doesn’t mean he doesn’t have positive intent…
He may truly believe CMW has this and will turn it around next year. Just because we don’t agree with him doesn’t mean he doesn’t have positive intent…
Then he needs removed from the BoT. I would understand if they were improving but like I said before. The defense is horrible, 3pt shooting is horrible, rebounding is horrible, we foul way too much and turn the ball over way too much. There isn’t any indication this will get better.

Tell that to UK and UNC.

How them programs doing?

One nad season? IU was meh Year 1. Yeah, yeah..NCAAT. As a walk-on, AKA "Play in game.." Year 2 ...14 losses again. Blowout loss in NCAAT...again.

It's beyond this
Comparing apples to oranges with BCG was an alcoholic and UNC had a hall of fame coach Williams in the wing. We have no one like Williams waiting after Woodson is fired.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Comparing apples to oranges with BCG was an alcoholic and UNC had a hall of fame coach Williams in the wing. We have no one like Williams waiting after Woodson is fired.
Roy turned job down first go around.

It's only apples to oranges because IU is no longer among the UK/UNC's.

Point is....those schools don't care about what others think. They **** up, they fix it. 1 year...2 years, or 3. It's why those programs have only had a blip or two..meanwhile, we are the ****ing blip.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Tell that to UK and UNC.

How them programs doing?

It's beyond this
If Woody gets a 4th year, he should Venmo TJD his entire salary.

That's Fan101 stuff...

And its why I said it isn't a good look for Dolson. Doesn't matter who's pulling the strings on this, "most" people will associate all this with Dolson. He's the AD, he hired Woody, he gave him the raise, and he'll be the one retaining/firing him.

Quinn's done at IU next year no matter what happens. He'll walk away "Scott free"...no matter what. Dolson is going to have to live with this decision for the rest of his ADing career.
What makes you think Buckner will not be given another term?

What makes you think Buckner will not be given another term?
Nothing. I have no clue how that works. Just assumed he was done when it was up.

If he’s still here, maybe we could replace Woodson with Dakich or Wittman next year.

Tell that to UK and UNC.

How them programs doing?

It's beyond this
I get it but those two are a bit different scenarios. UNC had Roy in the bag and Billy Clyde was a drunk, cruised the coeds and didn’t sign hide contract. We don’t have a Roy or an alcoholic without a contract. The buyout alone is pretty big. Let alone overcoming the largest donors saying no. He’s here one more year.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Mitch Henderson of Princeton. Villianova went with a Hofstra coach years ago and he did ok.

I know what we discuss on here is of zero consequence...but it does seem more likely that we should be considering/talking about what Woody can do, to get the ship turned back in the right direction.

Here are some ideas...

1. Coaching staff shakeup...get rid of one of the "recruiter" assistants. And bring in a proven college head coach, from somewhere.

2. Late signee/Portal full court press... He needs to make a goal of finding a starter level player for each position. ESPECIALLY the guard positions.

3. Reinvent himself, his expectations for his staff and his expectations for his players. Sit with them at seasons end, lay out expectations of excellence. Most importantly the process that they're all going to meticulously adhere to, between now and the start of next season. And if they're not on board with that, they should leave. Most importantly, HE has to adhere to these expectations too. He might already do these things, but he needs to be at Cook Hall bring and early, and leave late. Instill that workers mentality. He needs to scour film of the styles and teams he wants to emulate, become a master at recognizing what good habits look like, and always be aware of whether his staff and players are progressing towards those habits or not.
1. Like Matta?
2. How has that worked so far?
3. So become a head coach?

I don't care much whether he goes or stays, but he sure does seem inept.

Reactions: bawlmer
Tell that to UK and UNC.

How them programs doing?

It's beyond this
I'll respond to this example again (in which I'll assume you didn't read the entire thread).

Gillespie had his 3rd DUI... really easy to fire the guy after his 3rd DUI.

Doherty was let go for a ringer in Roy Williams who had huge success at Kansas plus was a long time assistant for Dean Smith. Again, you knew he was your guy until he retires.

So I'll write again, unless you are 100% sure the guy you bring in will be there for a long time, you cannot fire a coach after one bad season. The elephant in the room, you owe him $12.6 million, all of which you will have to pay because no one with a brain should accept anything less. Might be different if the gut was wanting to coach again (like Crean or Archie) but Woody is done. This will be his last gig... hence pay me the $12.6. I'll throw out one more, the buyout drops to $4 mil after next year.

• Love
Reactions: Radio Zero
I'll respond to this example again (in which I'll assume you didn't read the entire thread).

Gillespie had his 3rd DUI... really easy to fire the guy after his 3rd DUI.

Doherty was let go for a ringer in Roy Williams who had huge success at Kansas plus was a long time assistant for Dean Smith. Again, you knew he was your guy until he retires.

So I'll write again, unless you are 100% sure the guy you bring in will be there for a long time, you cannot fire a coach after one bad season. The elephant in the room, you owe him $12.6 million, all of which you will have to pay because no one with a brain should accept anything less. Might be different if the gut was wanting to coach again (like Crean or Archie) but Woody is done. This will be his last gig... hence pay me the $12.6. I'll throw out one more, the buyout drops to $4 mil after next year.
Guess I should have went into coaching.

My fear----Woody goes 22-15 next year----we win a game in the NCAAT----And now this discussion will be, "You cant fire a guy whos been to 3 NCAAT in 4 years."

Rinse and repeat.

Firing a guy for one bad season, I mean I guess not. BUT when its INDIANA, I mean that has to carry something? By letting this carry on, IU is basically saying---"Meh, we don't really care. COme here, we will let you be average for 4 years, pay you $20 million dollars....."

OR.....You come out and declare---"THis is ****ing Indiana. A ONCE proud program that I am determined to make elite again. Therefore, we have decided...….

Otherwise, have some ****ing balls, and show you are serious here. Or , ya know, keep the old man around, and hope like hell.

This three year rule is made up.

Billy Clyde was primarily fired because he was a bad coach. He never gets fired if he was good. Two years. That’s a serious bball school.

Another one at a bball school would be Chris Mack at Lville, he made it three years and 20 games, with one of those years being Covid.

Then there is Doherty. That counts, happened just two years after he was coach of the year. Part of firing a coach is lining up the next one.

You can fire a coach anytime. IU will probably lose $3-4M pretty easy next year in donations and gameday revenue (assuming both of those fall by 10%). Serious schools move quickly, like any good organization.

Reactions: GThomas
I'd say 80-95% of IU fans aren't thinking of firing Woodson. They're thinking we suck this year and hopefully next year will be better. I'd say close to 95% of IU fans are oblivious to Woodson having gotten a raise. Hell, I'd wager there's a good chunk of IU fans that don't even know who Scott Dolson is.

This place, Twitter and other message boards is an echo chamber of a few hundred/thousand fans who are uber interested beyond just the two hours when the games are taking place. It can skew reality.
Disagreed.

Fanbase perception...Dolson has zero power when it comes to basketball decisions.

Non Quinn and his bros, decision makers perception... Annoyed that Dolson and Quinn's group are disagreeing, annoyed that the bball program sucks, but not paying close enough attention to make a determination on who's "fault" it is.

Quinn and his bros perception...we've got this guy in the palm of our hand

Woody's perception...I guess Quinn and his bros are my actual boss.

Right now, I just can't see Woody improving enough to make a huge difference towards improvement next year. The "noise" is going to be very, very loud at the end of this season. And I think initially it will be next season too, but if/when next season goes similarly to this season, I think much more wide spread apathy will kick in. Apathy leads to less and less revenue...and that's what an AD's job, at IU, is most about.

Dolson will get fired next year because of that. Quinn's term is up, so he'll just "go away". But Dolson, despite being one that seems to be in favor of acting now, will be seen otherwise, and will be the one that takes the blame from most involved parties, probably including our fan base.

If he believes acting now is the right thing to do, he needs to push that, and stake his IU career on it.
We’re just delaying the inevitable, unless Woodson gets a couple of killer guards from the portal. So, yeah, anyways, we’re delaying the inevitable. We’ll sit through another year of shitty basketball and then do what we should’ve done right goddamn now.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
We’re just delaying the inevitable, unless Woodson gets a couple of killer guards from the portal. So, yeah, anyways, we’re delaying the inevitable. We’ll sit through another year of shitty basketball and then do what we should’ve done right goddamn now.
Glad you are willing to pay for the 12 million plus buyout. Pay up or shut up.

• Love
Reactions: Radio Zero
According to Rabby, Indiana would be able to land Bruce Pearl.
Didn't I hear that Pearl also has a very large buyout to leave Auburn? So, in addition to the 12 million we might owe CMW, we might also have to pay to get Pearl. Think there's a similar issue with Beard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT