ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any reason this team can't win B1G tournament?

Yes...Purdue, MSU, OSU, Michigan, and Nebraska are all reasons we may not win.

I could see us doing it, though. We look like a top 25 team

Reactions: IUgradman
We definitely aren't the favorites but their is a small chance. Would be a great year to do it.

It would take a heckuva hot streak...but we're playing with the intensity and smarts...so perhaps not out of the realm of possibility.

Personally, I think you're suffering from delusions of grandeur. Yes, I like what we're seeing vs. what we saw before certain players got "it". But the truth of reality is that we still aren't a good free throw shooting team, nor are we a consistent outside threat. Plus, we are not large underneath. Yes, we have quickness and yes, Freddie McSwain plays his heart out but still shows symptoms of "bull in a china shop" disease. Yes, Justin Smith is highly athletic but has yet to show he has basketball instinct and finesse underneath the basket and a consistent shot from outside anything. So, no, I don't think we have a shot at winning the BT tournament. At this point, I'm just hoping we don't have to play one of the first games.

does btt winner get an automatic ncaa tourney bid or reg season champs. in prior years the btt wasn't even over before the bids went out if i recall correctly. if anyone makes a deep run in the btt they'd almost have to get an ncaa bid i would think

Last edited:
does btt winner get an automatic ncaa tourney bid or reg season champs. in prior years the tourney wasn't even over before the bids went out if i recall correctly. if anyone makes a deep run in the btt they'd almost have to get an ncaa bid i would think
BTT Championship winners

It definitely would take some fortuitous happenings for us to do it, but I agree, it looks like we're finally up to speed in regards to effort, team communication and ball distribution. We just need more shots to drop. I think the way we've been zinging the ball around recently, thanks in most part to Devonte's awakening, it has helped guys get better shots in rhythm, which has helped our percentages. Man I wish this team would have found their mojo a month ago! But damn I'm excited for the future.

We are playing better but we just beat two of the worst teams in the conference. We need to prove it against top competition first before I feel confident about winning a four day tournament.

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
I could totally see this team getting hot and winning out in NYC...In Archie We Trust!!
It has happened. I would just to see us win a couple games. Even that would be better. Creans teams seemed to suck in the tourney. We don’t have a probable chance, but you’re right. We COULD get hot and win it. We played two of the top teams very close and could have won those games. That’s about the only way we get into the dance right now.

Size and depth in the post are a problem. I don't see how IU stops Purdue, Michigan St, etc... The other issue is Morgan will get in foul trouble against those teams and once he is out, IU loses it's biggest scoring threat. Let's reassess after going on the road to Nebraska. If IU keeps it close that will be telling as Nebraska is playing to make the tournament.

Size and depth in the post are a problem. I don't see how IU stops Purdue, Michigan St, etc... The other issue is Morgan will get in foul trouble against those teams and once he is out, IU loses it's biggest scoring threat. Let's reassess after going on the road to Nebraska. If IU keeps it close that will be telling as Nebraska is playing to make the tournament.
I almost think in the tournament, if Morgan gets his second foul, take him out for a short blow (of fresh air) and then put his ass back in because there will be no tomorrow if we lose. We can’t afford to have him sit with 2 fouls the rest of the half, just out of fear for his third. Play the man, Archie! He’s too good not to and chances are his chances are awfull good that 5th one will never come.

I don't see it happening because we can't win 4 games in 4 days. Also you have to remember we were on a 4 game losing streak before these last two wins. I like how we are playing and winning big but those teams are the two of the worst teams in the league.

I think having McSwain starting is helping to shield Morgan from early foul trouble. McSwain is doing most of the heavy lifting on the other teams' big while Morgan is there to provide help and grab boards/alter or block shots. Teams with multiple bigs provide challenges, but I agree, we need to ride our horses and stay aggressive if we want a shot at winning big. Look at the Eagles in the Super Bowl. Going for it on 4th and 2 at their own 45 and converting was the difference in the game I believe. That's the kind of mentality we need in the tourney and down the stretch here.

I don't see it happening because we can't win 4 games in 4 days. Also you have to remember we were on a 4 game losing streak before these last two wins. I like how we are playing and winning big but those teams are the two of the worst teams in the league.

Yes - it would be astounding for IU to make a run like that, given our personnel. Like how we are playing. Put in some context , though, Minnesota is terrible as is Rutgers.

It generally is also a bit concerning when a team is trying to find its starting 5 only 27 games into the season (that was dws). However, it is a bit refreshing and that the team appears to be getting better and not pulling the typical late season swan dive that we’ve done for the last several years.

Yes. We can’t shoot.
We shot 57% last night, only because half our shots were layups and dunks. (MN had no answer for our baseline game.) Hitting 38% from 3 isn't going to carry us far.

We shot 57% last night, only because half our shots were layups and dunks. (MN had no answer for our baseline game.) Hitting 38% from 3 isn't going to carry us far.

IU is 7-2 against non Mid-Majors when shooting at least 32% from 3. If we could shoot 38% from 3 the rest of the way... I would be ecstatic:)

IU is 7-2 against non Mid-Majors when shooting at least 32% from 3. If we could shoot 38% from 3 the rest of the way... I would be ecstatic:)
Based on our usual shooting performance, so would I. ;)

For us to win the BTT (the thread subject) or even just finish out strong and go deep and sniff a NCAA bid, our outside shooting is going to have to be much much better than what we've seen so far. You're the math nerd; I'll leave the computations to you or someone else, but I don't think 38% will get us there. ICBW.

Starting Devonte at PG has changed the season. I can see IU winning the BTT in the future! Under Crean it just wasn't happening, no defense, and too many turnovers under Crean's style of play

Based on our usual shooting performance, so would I. ;)

For us to win the BTT (the thread subject) or even just finish out strong and go deep and sniff a NCAA bid, our outside shooting is going to have to be much much better than what we've seen so far. You're the math nerd; I'll leave the computations to you or someone else, but I don't think 38% will get us there. ICBW.

I'm gonna guess that you're probably right. I'm just enthused that we are even having these kind of discussions at this point. It all may still be highly unlikely, but I was sure it was impossible not too long ago... so there's that

I really look forward to when Archie gets a more balanced roster with depth. I feel the culture purge to no longer be an issue in just 1.year. Depth seems on the way in the frontcourt. If Al is bumped down to the 4th guard because Romeo commits then it seems the backcourt will have depth assuming no injuries.

I don't want to look to far ahead. They need to pay back Illinois and Iowa battled MSU to the wire at Iowa. Those are both losable for IU. Win those 2 and maybe they can play spoiler to OSU with that home game or go into Nebrask with confidence.

I think an NIT bid would be awesome just for the extra practice time especially with the season ending a week early.

I think an NIT bid would be awesome just for the extra practice time especially with the season ending a week early.
This. More practice time, I have to believe at least one home game, and a chance at going deep or even going all the way. I'm old enough to remember when we won the NIT by beating the PUkes and danced in Showalter as if it had been the NCAA title game.

Yes...Purdue, MSU, OSU, Michigan, and Nebraska are all reasons we may not win.

I could see us doing it, though. We look like a top 25 team
With an upset or two and we continue to defend well, we could surprise people.

We needed a guard to play like Green so Rojo didn't have to be the lead guard. We also needed someone doing what Freddie has been doing. Archie has them playing better at the end of the season. It's been a long time since that happened.

Time will tell, if we put the basketball in hole at the charity line and hit better percent at the 3 pt line play killer defense anything can happen it not how big the dog is its the fight in the dog or hoosier!!!!!! LOL

Time will tell, if we put the basketball in hole at the charity line and hit better percent at the 3 pt line play killer defense anything can happen it not how big the dog is its the fight in the dog or hoosier!!!!!! LOL
Look at those close games we lost. Imagine if we improved our fga. Now, as long as a highly motivated Indiana low D1 school doesn’t suddenly join the big!

Personally, I think you're suffering from delusions of grandeur. Yes, I like what we're seeing vs. what we saw before certain players got "it". But the truth of reality is that we still aren't a good free throw shooting team, nor are we a consistent outside threat. Plus, we are not large underneath. Yes, we have quickness and yes, Freddie McSwain plays his heart out but still shows symptoms of "bull in a china shop" disease. Yes, Justin Smith is highly athletic but has yet to show he has basketball instinct and finesse underneath the basket and a consistent shot from outside anything. So, no, I don't think we have a shot at winning the BT tournament. At this point, I'm just hoping we don't have to play one of the first games.
Every entrant has a shot at winning. We’re not going to give up our shot.

We are playing better but we just beat two of the worst teams in the conference. We need to prove it against top competition first before I feel confident about winning a four day tournament.
Seems to me we played Purdue and MSU pretty even. With a break...?

Seems to me we played Purdue and MSU pretty even. With a break...?

We would be playing them at a neutral site so the crowd wouldn't be a factor. Maybe a little in IU’s favor. With the new starting lineup and Devonte’s improved play we would have a shot.

With an upset or two and we continue to defend well, we could surprise people.

We needed a guard to play like Green so Rojo didn't have to be the lead guard. We also needed someone doing what Freddie has been doing. Archie has them playing better at the end of the season. It's been a long time since that happened.
And, we also needed someone to do what McRoberts has been doing.

I cannot imagine how frustrated the opponents must become when they think the play is over and relax ... but then McRoberts comes out of nowhere and slaps the ball off of the other guy's leg out of bounds for a turnover or dives on the floor and bats the ball along the floor to a teammate or jumps in among the trees and takes the ball away from some guy twice his size who wasn't expecting competition.

McRoberts has been doing stuff like this 2-3 times a game, and it's inspiring every time.

Reactions: iubud and IUgradman
I wish we had the present team at the beginning of the season. We would be playing in the NCAA tournament.

3 reasons why IU won't:

1. Never have won it
2. Lack of shooting and depth
3. The games are not at AH

3 reason why IU could:

1. Conference is down
2. An 8 seed (Michigan) won it last year
3. IU is waaaaay overdue

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT