ADVERTISEMENT

Is St Mary's Any Good?

They are probably what you expect: a team with lots of foreign players, so they are very sound and can shoot. Their leading scorer (which is a bit misleading because they have 4 guys who average 10+ a game) and rebounder however is a 6'10" Estonian who is solid, but not athletic at all (whether white men can jump is debatable, but this guy can't!) so TJD can and should have his way with him if he goes decisively and doesn't hesitate. Easy to see him getting in foul trouble, and Race too should be able to get around him. LIkewise, their 2nd leading scorer is their PG and XJ should have a big advantage on him with quickness. Keep riding the horses that brung us in TJD and XJ, hope Race and Kopp are rid of their jitters and that one or two of RP, JG, TG or PS breakthrough. We need to close out well and cover their shooters. Remember the RP vs PU in that first game? I hope he does!
Its their guards/wings on defense who will protect their 6-10 guy from Davis eating his lunch -- if they can. That's how you do it. Prevent the guy with the ball from passing inside. Make him go sideways and overload the side he goes towards. As great as Davis is he has to get it to threaten their D. I doubt they are athletic enough to do that, but they have to try.

I agree, but XJ should have a huge quickness advantage, and he's not 6'7" so he shouldn't have much trouble on him as long as he avoids foul trouble.
Plus, Phin can come in and spell X and hold his own, and could also matchup against their 2 guard as well.

Actually, Kuhse kind of reminds me of Phin. Kuhse as been much more consistent and productive than Phin, but from a size and style of play, they seem very similar

My whole thinking is, unless it would actually hurt, and I don't believe it would, I don't know why you wouldn't try.
It could help, I only went a few times, but the thing about the guy I went to was he would record the sessions and send them to you so you could just listen to it for 20 minutes before I tried to go to sleep and I think it was the repetition/reinforcement that made it work. I wish I were actually hypnotizable because I have a relative that was and actually did quit smoking that way, I'm just not wired that way, probably wouldn't work like that for me even though that was what I had to say to get it paid for.

Plus, Phin can come in and spell X and hold his own, and could also matchup against their 2 guard as well.

Actually, Kuhse kind of reminds me of Phin. Kuhse as been much more consistent and productive than Phin, but from a size and style of play, they seem very similar
I kind of hope both play at the same time. This might be one of those games. Attack them with 2 point guards. Draw some fouls. It seems like that kind of game.

Saint Mary's has three shooters who have the ability to change a game if allowed good looks from three. These are their season 3-point shooting totals:

Tommy Kuhse
45/96 (46%)

Alex Ducas
61/158 (38%)

Kyle Bowen
40/102 (39%)

Given that Saint Mary's is one of the slowest-paced teams in the country (67 possessions per game), my fear is that they will play a purposefully ugly, slow game and allow their shooters to be the difference.

The good news is that IU won't have to sacrifice a defender doubling the post since Trayce and Race can hold their own on the block against Saint Mary's bigs (6'10" Matthias Tass and 6'8" Kyle Bowen).

Therefore, the strategy should be for our perimeter defenders to stick to their man like glue and fight through screens. Going under screens should be absolutely unacceptable in this game.

Reactions: susyq and jiouhyu
Kenpom says they're better than us offensively which was no surprise, but also said they're better than us defensively...which really surprised me. I've not seen one second of any of their games.

Anybody know a B1G team they might compare them to?
They played Gonzaga three times and beat them once. If they can beat Gonzaga, then they can beat us.

Saint Mary's has three shooters who have the ability to change a game if allowed good looks from three. These are their season 3-point shooting totals:

Tommy Kuhse
45/96 (46%)

Alex Ducas
61/158 (38%)

Kyle Bowen
40/102 (39%)

Given that Saint Mary's is one of the slowest-paced teams in the country (67 possessions per game), my fear is that they will play a purposefully ugly, slow game and allow their shooters to be the difference.

The good news is that IU won't have to sacrifice a defender doubling the post since Trayce and Race can hold their own on the block against Saint Mary's bigs (6'10" Matthias Tass and 6'8" Kyle Bowen).

Therefore, the strategy should be for our perimeter defenders to stick to their man like glue and fight through screens. Going under screens should be absolutely unacceptable in this game.

From what little I have seen of St Mary's, they are very selective with 3's and rarely shoot anything other than a wide open 3, usually when the shooter's defender gets too far out of position on help.

The key to this game will be guarding the PG Kuhse 1 on 1. He's really methodical driving to the basket, and has great rhythm and timing of when to get his shot off with minimal pressure and around the basket. X might have a shot at speeding him up and throwing out of his rhythm, and Phin has the right kind of patience and defensive skill to challenge him as well.

If he gets hot and we need to start helping, that's when their shooting will come into play

does anyone believe in hypnosis? I swear, I'd try it with Stewart and Kopp and try and get it in their heads that they are great shooters and will make shots. I went to a hypnotist for awhile during my divorce for anxiety and sleep (partly because I bought a series of sessions on a Groupon and partly because she had big hooters, and partly because I thought it helped) and, while I don't know about long term change, I did feel better and sleep better for a couple of days. Phil Jackson tried different methods to reach players, I swear, I'd try it by telling them "you guys are good shooters so I want you to try this and see if we can't get you to relax and let the good shooter you are come out." For that matter, try it with Race and Trey too, if you're going to keep allowing them to shoot 3s.
And find a therapist with big hooters. That will put them in a trance.

Reactions: kkott
Greatest strip clubs on Earth. period.
I don't know if you even need to go to a strip club. You might see something at breakfast in the morning. I had a weirdo former relative one time in life that moved there for naked bicycling, restaurants and all that fun stuff. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had that, because they get most in just daily life

We literally average the same points offensively and defensively as st Mary’s. They did it in a mid major and we did it in the B1G. I’ll take our chances straight up winning this game. Not buying the west coast, lenardi and media hype.
With all due respect, St. Mary is much better than Wyoming. We have better athletes, but they are very well coached.

Reactions: kkott
It could help, I only went a few times, but the thing about the guy I went to was he would record the sessions and send them to you so you could just listen to it for 20 minutes before I tried to go to sleep and I think it was the repetition/reinforcement that made it work. I wish I were actually hypnotizable because I have a relative that was and actually did quit smoking that way, I'm just not wired that way, probably wouldn't work like that for me even though that was what I had to say to get it paid for.
I was at a meeting once and we had a hypnotist as the entertainment. He veted the whole room (appx 500 people) by having us stand up and close our eyes and extend our hand and imagine we were holding on to a big bunch of helium balloons. He had the helpers (about 8 staff members) go out and bring the ones who were very animated and really extending their arms and "into it" to the stage, because they were more suggestable. That was about 30 out of the 500. He then questioned and culled them down to about 6 while we ate and then he hypnotized those 6 one at a time and they were our entertainment over dessert. Very interesting and entertaining. He had guys fighting big fish on stage and walking sexily in high heels. Made me wished I'd studied hypnotism and practiced on some of the female population at IU. A friend of mine was one of the 6 and she didn't remember anything but said she felt as if she'd woken up from a deep and relaxing sleep.

My sessions weren't so lively, but I felt they helped and I had pleasant dreams of the hypnotist's impressive bust for some time after.

They play late into the shock clock, so there are less possessions in a game, which is partially why their defensive numbers are so good. They have three rotational players who hit 38+% from the three (and a fourth off the bench too). Also, they are a Senior dominant team which can be a luxury. The betting line is 2.5 - which suggests a close game. So all in all, they are good.

I like the attitude of this team. They aren't whining or making excuses about the logistical barriers to the west coast minus sleep...and you can throw in 5 games in 8 days. I think the selection committee put IU in a sink or swim situation which includes the metal life preserver. However, the players understand that they have to play on tired legs. Hopefully, bench management and better than their statistical shooting can offset some of that...both will be needed to win this game...which is winnable.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I like the attitude of this team. They aren't whining or making excuses about the logistical barriers to the west coast minus sleep...and you can throw in 5 games in 8 days. I think the selection committee put IU in a sink or swim situation which includes the metal life preserver. However, the players understand that they have to play on tired legs. Hopefully, bench management and better than their statistical shooting can offset some of that...both will be needed to win this game...which is winnable.
Play Geronimo more than 19 mins tonight! He’s ready to roll!

With all due respect, St. Mary is much better than Wyoming. We have better athletes, but they are very well coached.

I wouldn't say much better. St Mary's lost to Colorado St by 16, at a team Wyoming played twice and split (both 6 point games). St Mary's also lost to SDSU by 10, who Wyoming lost to be 7. St Mary's beat Utah St by 2, and Wyoming did the same twice.

I wouldn't say much better. St Mary's lost to Colorado St by 16, at a team Wyoming played twice and split (both 6 point games). St Mary's also lost to SDSU by 10, who Wyoming lost to be 7. St Mary's beat Utah St by 2, and Wyoming did the same twice.
Tells me both of those teams are way over seeded and hyped. I bet Michigan beats CS today too. Not buying the hype.

Tells me both of those teams are way over seeded and hyped. I bet Michigan beats CS today too. Not buying the hype.

Michigan is going to be without DaVante Jones (concussion) and are incredibly thin at guard even with him so I'd go with Col St today.

Colorado st pounded them. Wyoming beat Colorado state. So I’m not sure how much(if any)better they are. IU in the B1G all day. Both of those schools are frankly seeded to high.
Colorado State beat St. Mary’s in early December around the same time we lost to Syracuse. I agree they are seeded too high and we are seeded too low. It’s more of a seven versus a seven. Wyoming was more of a twelve.

Speaking of party, did anyone see that vid on the plane? Some of the worst white boy dancing I have seen.
The student manager's moves were funny. You're better off thinking about tiktok dances in terms of inspiration. Trey Galloway probably had the best moves in terms of "understanding the assignment" (lol sort of cringe to use that phrase but most people on here are too old to have the cultural literacy to know what that means anyway)

Tommy Kuhse
45/96 (46%)

Alex Ducas
61/158 (38%)

Kyle Bowen
40/102 (39%)

I think IU is uglier....we have make our shots while otherwise ugly.

as a team, IU shoots .665 at the free throw line...St. Marys - .688. It may well come down to the stripe if this game is a close see-saw, which I can see....so who steps up?
IU put Wyoming at the line way too soon in the second half. Can't do that in this game. I am concerned about the west coast officiating...and the "touch fouls".

They’re nothing special. We’ll have the talent advantage. Should be a good one.
Looking like the mid major teams are a tad over seeded. I expect a frustrating game but IU should win this.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT