ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin...

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
I do not expect us to win going to our House of Horrors and especially with them coming off a loss, but my question is: with where we are, what would you do with this team and how would you like to see them play? Offensively, I'd use a 4 out 1 in, with Ware on the wing more, picking and popping and encourage him to take 3s when he's open. I'd also be looking for Mbako at the 3 anytime and force feed him shots: transition 3s, early in the shot clock... get him looks. Secondary shooters like Cupps, Galloway, Reanu and Gunn, I'd ask to be ready to shoot and take the shots they are confident of. But, if you're not, use the shot fake. I'm not sure I've seen a team use the shot fake less, and then bite on so damn many shot fakes. Walker is not a shooter and shouldn't be shooting from 3 (should've been benched when he took a 3 with MM open), and we need to do a better job with finding the open man (and him being ready to shoot!) and especially Reanu passing out of double teams. Purdue uses that tremendously, and we don't. TJD got much better, so hopefully Reanu can too. And, push the pace and look for open/easy baskets; we need all

Defensively, I'd not switch everything and only when called out. I think all the switching causes this team to lose guys on the perimeter. And then block out and attack the glass. We have to rebound better to close out defensive possessions. Way too many second chance points for our opponents.

Lastly, Xavier. Gotta have a plan there. I think you have to do 1 of two things: convince him to try and hit the "reset button" and start him with explicit instructions for what you need from him, or suspend/dismiss him. If he's one of the locker room problems, it's #2. Not starting him isn't working and you can see it in his body language. If he was a football player, he'd be a diva receiver. Kills depth without him, but I'd not play him until he says/shows he wants to do what the team needs, but I'd live with Cupps, Galloway and Gunn and start getting Leal some minutes.

I do not expect us to win going to our House of Horrors and especially with them coming off a loss, but my question is: with where we are, what would you do with this team and how would you like to see them play? Offensively, I'd use a 4 out 1 in, with Ware on the wing more, picking and popping and encourage him to take 3s when he's open. I'd also be looking for Mbako at the 3 anytime and force feed him shots: transition 3s, early in the shot clock... get him looks. Secondary shooters like Cupps, Galloway, Reanu and Gunn, I'd ask to be ready to shoot and take the shots they are confident of. But, if you're not, use the shot fake. I'm not sure I've seen a team use the shot fake less, and then bite on so damn many shot fakes. Walker is not a shooter and shouldn't be shooting from 3 (should've been benched when he took a 3 with MM open), and we need to do a better job with finding the open man (and him being ready to shoot!) and especially Reanu passing out of double teams. Purdue uses that tremendously, and we don't. TJD got much better, so hopefully Reanu can too. And, push the pace and look for open/easy baskets; we need all

Defensively, I'd not switch everything and only when called out. I think all the switching causes this team to lose guys on the perimeter. And then block out and attack the glass. We have to rebound better to close out defensive possessions. Way too many second chance points for our opponents.

Lastly, Xavier. Gotta have a plan there. I think you have to do 1 of two things: convince him to try and hit the "reset button" and start him with explicit instructions for what you need from him, or suspend/dismiss him. If he's one of the locker room problems, it's #2. Not starting him isn't working and you can see it in his body language. If he was a football player, he'd be a diva receiver. Kills depth without him, but I'd not play him until he says/shows he wants to do what the team needs, but I'd live with Cupps, Galloway and Gunn and start getting Leal some minutes.
As much as X seems to have checked out (not sure as I certainly don’t know his psyche), the only chance this team has to be decent and to continue positive momentum and to save Woody’s job and legacy is to have an effective XJ running the point. I think we live or more than likely die with him at this point

Reactions: Rcp65goiu

You play through Reneau in the post. Have him kick out to "shooters" and have the shooters ready to shoot. I'd also look to push the ball in transition more and look to score when running.

Defensively I'd love to see IU have a clue. But it doesn't matter. Even when IU is playing decent d they give up offensive rebounds to the point where it doesn't matter if they are playing good or bad D. What does it matter if the other team goes 1 for 1 on a possession or 1 for 3 after getting 2 offensive rebounds. They scored on the one trip down the floor.

IU is terrible. They will have a few games where everyone will be like...what a great game, IU is turning the corner. Then they'll come back the next game and look like they couldn't care less.

This shit is hard to watch!

Last edited:
As much as X seems to have checked out (not sure as I certainly don’t know his psyche), the only chance this team has to be decent and to continue positive momentum and to save Woody’s job and legacy is to have an effective XJ running the point. I think we live or more than likely die with him at this point
I agree, but that's assuming X isn't a distraction in the locker room, or contributing to the chemistry issue that seems to be present. That's why I laid out 2 options, if he's salvageable I think you put the crap behind and start him. Bringing him off the bench isn't working and I don't think will based on his demeanor.

You play through Reneau in the post. Have him kick out to "shooters" and have the shooters ready to shoot. I'd also look to push the ball in transition more and look to score when running.

Defensively I'd love to see IU have a clue. But it doesn't matter. Even when IU is playing decent d they give up offensive rebounds to the point where it doesn't matter if they are playing good or bad D. What does it matter if the other team goes 1 for 1 on a possession or 1 for 3 after getting 2 offensive rebounds. They scored on the one trip down the floor.

IU is terrible. They will have a few games where everyone will be like...what a great game, IU is turning the corner. Then they'll come back the next game and look like they've couldn't care less.

This shit is hard to watch!
playing through Reanu requires him to be effective kicking the ball out of the post on double teams and I haven't seen that in him. TJD became so much better of a passer, but that to me seems something Reanu still needs to develop.

playing through Reanu requires him to be effective kicking the ball out of the post on double teams and I haven't seen that in him. TJD became so much better of a passer, but that to me seems something Reanu still needs to develop.
I disagree.

Reactions: kkott
Woody gives each starter his defensive assignment, or a zone would be OK. Woody instructs offense to pretend they are on a NYC playground....loose and with enthusiasm. Make up your own plays. If one gets a little winded raise a hand and you'll come out for a quick blow. Couldn't be any worse than what we have seen lately.

As many mentioned, play through MR , and somehow get him to pass out of the post. He has shown range, but imho it’s when he gets going inside offensively first. I think it’s important to have one of him and Ware out there at all times.

Offensively I’d like to see quicker passing (eliminate putting the ball on the floor first, which leads to stagnation and pounding the ball into the floor with no purpose). This could be especially helpful passing out of the post. You see other teams do this constantly; Pass into the post, ball comes right back out.

Defensively does it seem like we have massive communication issues? Maybe it’s trivial, but the more you switch the better your communication needs to be.

Offensive rebound : need an emphasis on getting the team focused on this, and doing something with them when you get them. Especially getting 3pt attempts from them.

X, I’ll be curious to see how he is tonight. UW likes to get under your skin, and I’ve seen him on the edge in games versus them before. Like you, I am wondering if the team would benefit from addition by subtraction, insofar as chemistry, leadership and team culture go. Maybe he’ll prove everyone wrong. Crazy to think back a couple of months where many thought he could sleepwalk to a first team all B10, and now we are seeing people wonder if we wouldn’t be better w/out him (despite a complete lack of depth, and underwhelming production at guard)

Nice post. I Would’ve liked to have seen that pick and pop strategy with Ware prominently featured in the PU game. I would’ve told Ware to shoot over that drop coverage like it was his job and if he didn’t shoot when open, he’s coming out of the game.

checked it and you appear right: Reanu is averaging 3.1 apg, which I think is pretty decent for a post player. TJD was at 4 last year, and Edey, who I would've thought got a ton of assists kicking it out to their shooters is at 1.7apg.

I really felt TJD got to be excellent at finding the open man off double teams, but it looks like Reanu is good at it too. You often see what you want to see! Tonight, I want to see a W vs Wisconsin, so I hope that comes through.

I've got give you credit. I'm a fan since 1975..
I barely care to watch this team.Let alone break down a game plan..

I've got give you credit. I'm a fan since 1975..
I barely care to watch this team.Let alone break down a game plan..
Assembly Call kind of did something similar, so I was curious what folks on here might think. Beats carping about our next coach or backcourt problems. This is your hand: how would you play it?

Reactions: BigMobe
Assembly Call kind of did something similar, so I was curious what folks on here might think. Beats carping about our next coach or backcourt problems. This is your hand: how would you play it?
Thinking about the next regime is what happens when the end starts to appear inevitable. Sucks but here we go yet again

Reactions: GThomas
I really, really, really want a good IU showing tonight. Not expecting a win, but a good showing.

But, we are playing in Kohl, and based on history, and the fact that Bucky is coming off a loss, my prediction:

376944373-Mr_T_Pain_zps63d4cea7.jpg

I like the 4 out 1 in concept with Malik flashing in and out of the post. We need to open up the lane more. If our only hope is finding a much better X, he needs some room in the lane. It is always congested in the paint. This is in part due to our 3 pt shooting, but also due to KW and Malik hugging the lane. Instead of endless pick and roll, mix in more pick and pop and clear the damn lane so the guards have a better chance to create something. The 3 pt shooting has been better, so open up the lane and spread out. Play a few more minutes with X, TG, Gunn, MM, and either KW or Malik. The rebounding can’t get worse. Those 2 will still get enough minutes. Defenses are packing it in. This is causing us to force feed the post or pick and roll into a crowded lane resulting in endless turnovers. Make a special effort to open up the lane and let guys create more. This will result in more 3 point shots and maybe some guard finishing in the lane. And fewer turnovers.
I remember Olidipo having a breakout game at Purdue. At least in my mind it was a breakout game. Crean opened up the lane and put the ball in VO’s hands. Let’s try it and see if we can get X and TG going at the same time, with MM having some room to create as well. Isn’t this what Woodson said he wanted to do?

Reactions: .Gerdis
Great post, think Reneau is a black hole and he may have avg 3 apg but I’m guessing 2.5 of those are lobs to ware….
Love to see MM drive to the hoop to put pressure on D and going into season, thought we’d see alot of the pick and pop with ware

Watched the PU game on P and Hummel made a great comment about bball IQ of us saying that he sees a lot of running out to guard the 3 when the shooter is less then 20% on that shot. Whereas pu would leave X wide open for the 3, daring him to shoot and then that would leave the player who left him open in to rebound instead of flying out and past the poor shooter like we do. I get it that the staff has made an emphasis on defending the 3 but gotta know who the shooters are

As for X, you almost gotta start him cuz if you don’t, he’s gonna sulk and then give a half ass effort Imho

Reactions: jmdkhoosier
I agree, but that's assuming X isn't a distraction in the locker room, or contributing to the chemistry issue that seems to be present. That's why I laid out 2 options, if he's salvageable I think you put the crap behind and start him. Bringing him off the bench isn't working and I don't think will based on his demeanor.
It's been previously reported the IU men's locker room has issues and I don't mean the peep hole to the adjoining lady's shower. If X isn't the problem, what might that chemistry issue be attributed to? Is one bad apple spoiling the bunch or is the basket itself at fault here? "Chemistry issues" is such a nebulous excuse for a beaker-full of unwanted precipitate found in solution. Likewise, the same can be said for a badly performing sports team, the currently formulated 2023-'24 IU basketball experiment devised by it's poorly prepared scientist, Coach Mike Woodson.

It's been previously reported the IU men's locker room has issues and I don't mean the peep hole to the adjoining lady's shower. If X isn't the problem, what might that chemistry issue be attributed to? Is one bad apple spoiling the bunch or is the basket itself at fault here? "Chemistry issues" is such a nebulous excuse for a beaker-full of unwanted precipitate found in solution. Likewise, the same can be said for a badly performing sports team, the currently formulated 2023-'24 IU basketball experiment devised by it's poorly prepared scientist, Coach Mike Woodson.
The way this team is playing....if the locker room didn't have issues...I would be even more concerned.

Issue playing 4 out is we don’t scare anyone from deep. So lanes will be clogged and we will be dared to shoot

I hate all this Bucky... but I know IU doesn't have a prayer tonight. Wiskyville by 17+. Someone from UW will have a career night. Hate this, but they OWN us. Have for a long time.

Reactions: edub72
I hate all this Bucky... but I know IU doesn't have a prayer tonight. Wiskyville by 17+. Someone from UW will have a career night. Hate this, but they OWN us. Have for a long time.
after the PU game, we really needed a bounce back game, a game where we could regroup and succeed. The last thing you wanted to see on the schedule was the road trip to Madison. It's been IU's kryptonite for years. Hell even Vic & Zeller couldn't win there.

on the other hand....we have the opp for the mother of all turn-the-season-around games tonight.

When I watch IU, I want to come away feeling like I’ve been entertained. They may not win, but when they don’t I want it to have been a game of competitive effort in undeterminable score going down to the final minutes, if not seconds. These 15-25 point butt-chucks we’ve been forced to endure have been bloody painful, not cutting the butter for much better.

Last edited:
The worst of it is when Wisconsin plays IU....they virtually know they are going to win. The fact that they check their schedule with W in advance, as if they were playing IPFW....its pathetic. When you listen to Wisky players after an IU game....its like "what did you expect"?

We need to run them somehow with MM out front, but have Ware & MR in position when that doesn't work out. X MUST be locked in and under control from start to finish, if he is not or overly aggressive, immediately bench him. Ware will have to expend a ton more energy than he usually does, and the stars align/couple lucky breaks, but I think that should be the recipe. If this team could figure out what a drop step is, or a jab step, or a backdoor cut, and learn to shoot from above their heads overnight, it could be done.

If the starters are playing well, sub them as sparingly as possible to give them rest.

At least two of MR, KW, MM and one of TG, X (if he's good X tonight) on the floor at all times. Nobody sits for 2 fouls in the first half.

We've got a full week until Illinois, nobody needs a lot of rest in this game.

If the starters are playing well, sub them as sparingly as possible to give them rest.

At least two of MR, KW, MM and one of TG, X (if he's good X tonight) on the floor at all times. Nobody sits for 2 fouls in the first half.

We've got a full week until Illinois, nobody needs a lot of rest in this game.
I don't care what he does/how he subs, what he's been doing to establish a go-to offensive system is totally FUBAR and/or we don't have the personel to make it work. So, what I'd hope to see from this game, and the rest of the season for that matter, is game by game strategy and in-game coaching as opposed to platoon substitutions that make no sense and blind adherence to blown game plans.

What happened to Conner Essegian? Only averaging 3.5 points and 17 minutes per game. Last year was 11.7 points and 27 minutes per game.

Wow Cupps set to come back in with 2 fouls wonder if woody is feel the heat from last game and not putting starters back in with 2 fouls

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT