ADVERTISEMENT

Indy

Yes, it was clearly that and not the loss of their leading scorer and offensive quarterback.
I have been a Pacers fan since 1970 and these losses have been gut punches. To lose in the last 10 seconds, TWICE, due to turnovers is maddening. Proud of the effort, though, without their leader last night. And I do think Nembhard was fouled!

Last edited:
That was phenom. I sit in a very engaged section (J), we stood so many times and the last 15 laps everyone in our section and NW Vista next door was on their feet. When they rolled into 4 right in front of us Oward was right on Newgardens ass and I thought he may get him again on the main. Newgarden's car was too strong in the end. Freaking incredible race with the usual drama throughout!

Edit: What a long damn day. What makes the day even more special??? Nobody's phone works at the track. Most people just give up and leave em in the car so you actually have to go meet people and chat. Met some great folks today, old and young and all walks of life from states all over. Good stuff.

I'd think anything real would be shredded by repeated 220 mph breezes
Those flowers are indeed real. I manned the turn 3 camera for ABC from 1989 to 2018 and NBC's first year in 2019 retiring after that race. The runners purchase a couple of flats of flowers usually for carb day practice and swap out the best ones for race day. ABC started doing putting out flowers next to their only unmanned "speed shot" coming out of turn 4 back in the 70's, and the tradition has continued. Shows how strong of a breeze the cars generate as they pass the camera. Now there are I believe 12 manned robotic speed shot cameras all the way around the track.

Left at 7:00am and got home after 9:30pm. Grueling day. I believe this was the latest we have ever gotten home after the race. We were there the entire time in 2007 and we were home earlier that year.

Reactions: DDE-6-20-23
Yes but even my car starts 99% of the time and I don’t have people whose sole job is to make sure it works all the time. Crazy. And it happens every other year to someone.
If a car starts 100 percent of the time, there’d never be a reason to check it.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
That was phenom. I sit in a very engaged section (J), we stood so many times and the last 15 laps everyone in our section and NW Vista next door was on their feet. When they rolled into 4 right in front of us Oward was right on Newgardens ass and I thought he may get him again on the main. Newgarden's car was too strong in the end. Freaking incredible race with the usual drama throughout!

Edit: What a long damn day. What makes the day even more special??? Nobody's phone works at the track. Most people just give up and leave em in the car so you actually have to go meet people and chat. Met some great folks today, old and young and all walks of life from states all over. Good stuff.
We’re in turn one every year and they’re great seats for restarts and most of the lead changes, but have to watch the finish on the big screen. They’re great seats and there are 20 of us.

We’re in turn one every year and they’re great seats for restarts and most of the lead changes, but have to watch the finish on the big screen. They’re great seats and there are 20 of us.
I sat with a group for years, 20 plus people in Stand E Penthouse. Best seat in the house IMO. A few years back my older kids asked if we could get our own tickets and make it an annual family event. I ended up in J on turn 4. I like where we are at and the best part is the people in J. Everyone is really into the race much more so than the peeps in the Stand E penthouse. I remember one year they played God Bless America and I was the only guy standing up top in E and finally after what was an awkward moment everyone looked at me and stood. I'm like what's wrong with you people! Anyways turn 1 is a great seat. I do like 4 though we can see them coming out of 3 the short chute, 4 and then down the main.

I sat with a group for years, 20 plus people in Stand E Penthouse. Best seat in the house IMO. A few years back my older kids asked if we could get our own tickets and make it an annual family event. I ended up in J on turn 4. I like where we are at and the best part is the people in J. Everyone is really into the race much more so than the peeps in the Stand E penthouse. I remember one year they played God Bless America and I was the only guy standing up top in E and finally after what was an awkward moment everyone looked at me and stood. I'm like what's wrong with you people! Anyways turn 1 is a great seat. I do like 4 though we can see them coming out of 3 the short chute, 4 and then down the main.
We used to sit in the NW Vista. For my money, those are great seats, maybe the best for how much you can see.

We used to sit in the NW Vista. For my money, those are great seats, maybe the best for how much you can see.
Sat in 4 the year Danny Sullivan won. I actually saw him spin out in the short chute coming out of 1 - you could see that far down the track from there.

I just can't do the sun anymore. Some in-law cousins have seats on the upper section on the straightaways and the action in the pits is awesome.

Sat in 4 the year Danny Sullivan won. I actually saw him spin out in the short chute coming out of 1 - you could see that far down the track from there.

I just can't do the sun anymore. Some in-law cousins have seats on the upper section on the straightaways and the action in the pits is awesome.
Yeah, the sun can be brutal in those seats. We haven't been to an Indy race since 2010 though. I took my son on a backpacking trip in Yosemite over that weekend in 2011, and then Memorial Day weekend was either the beginning or the end of backcountry trips for a while. We even stopped going to the Brickyard and NHRA race a few years later.

Yeah, the sun can be brutal in those seats. We haven't been to an Indy race since 2010 though. I took my son on a backpacking trip in Yosemite over that weekend in 2011, and then Memorial Day weekend was either the beginning or the end of backcountry trips for a while. We even stopped going to the Brickyard and NHRA race a few years later.
Since moved to Charlotte, I can watch it live on TV.

I grew up listening to the race on the radio and I still think it's almost better listening to it - the announcing crew really paints a great picture in your mind. I listened to the end this year because I wasn't near a TV and that was one of the best radio calls of the race I've ever heard. Had me on the edge of my seat.

I'll always remember listening to Back Home Again In Indiana when I was stationed in Germany. Brought a tear to my eye.

Since moved to Charlotte, I can watch it live on TV.

I grew up listening to the race on the radio and I still think it's almost better listening to it - the announcing crew really paints a great picture in your mind. I listened to the end this year because I wasn't near a TV and that was one of the best radio calls of the race I've ever heard. Had me on the edge of my seat.

I'll always remember listening to Back Home Again In Indiana when I was stationed in Germany. Brought a tear to my eye.
Having a lead, an analyst, and then putting an announcer in each turn is a stroke of genius. They each talk the listener through their part of the track as the field goes around and it’s excellent — paints the picture as you said. The crew doesn’t miss anything and they work together seamlessly.

Having a lead, an analyst, and then putting an announcer in each turn is a stroke of genius. They each talk the listener through their part of the track as the field goes around and it’s excellent — paints the picture as you said. The crew doesn’t miss anything and they work together seamlessly.
If I'm not mistaken the Indy set the trend with the 4 corners broadcasting. Everyone else followed suit. Race radio is the bomb!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. A buddy of mine asked why can't Indy car do split screen when they run ads. Wasn't Indy car the innovator off that technology???

If I'm not mistaken the Indy set the trend with the 4 corners broadcasting. Everyone else followed suit. Race radio is the bomb!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. A buddy of mine asked why can't Indy car do split screen when they run ads. Wasn't Indy car the innovator off that technology???
Yes, the Indy series had split screen all the time.

Paul Page was very good, but the guy before him - forget his name - was the best.

Until he blew his brains out.

I still miss Carnegie. "He's on it"
Same. Tom Carnegie was the best at the track PA guy. Great voice, he stuck to the relevant info, and he had a gravitas that added to the event.

Calabro as his replacement has been rough — Dave cannot stop blabbing whatever his train of thought is, and he spends too much time telling fans to get excited or watch something (everyone is already doing that) vs providing info to help people better follow the race. His partner Bestwick does a better job.

Hilliard Gates is the one I remember the most from the HS tournament.
Hilliard was originally out of Ft. Wayne, wasn't he? I think Hilliard came after Carnegie for state coverage, but I don't know that for sure.

Hilliard was originally out of Ft. Wayne, wasn't he? I think Hilliard came after Carnegie for state coverage, but I don't know that for sure.
Basketball wise, Carnegie was TV and Gates was radio, unless I'm mistaken.

TG was on channel 6 out of Indy for all of my life.

Reactions: DANC
Paul Page was very good, but the guy before him - forget his name - was the best.

Until he blew his brains out.
Sid Collins from WIBC. He was great, listening to him as a kid in our back yard, great memories

Reactions: 76-1
Fellow stand J'er, since 1982. Have a group of about 40 or so, mostly family. What a race '82 was, as Mears was about a 1/2 lap down to Johncock with maybe 25 laps to go. Every lap he was closing, and then with about 2 to go, was right on his tail. Johncock, surprisingly, held him off. Seats are good, not great, but turn 4 fans are the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT