ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Opening a $80,000,000 Football Operations Center

I’m now living in Gainesville Fl. A couple weeks ago a Gator football player was arrested after a hit and run where he was clocked at 150 mph. Xavier Johnson barely got up to 90 mph. How are the Hoosiers going to compete with such a NIL discrepancy?
The players need more lamborghinis! If only those damn pedestrians would stay out of the way.

When did weather errect a football game at IU? Leave it outdoor in my opinion. I’d rather see an investment on media connectivity. Biggest impact to fan base on game day along with food improvements. I’d rather they take a quarter of the cost for a new facility and be the largest NIL College each year. Buy it
I’d say Michigan - the year when the wind changed for the 4th quarter.

It doesn’t affect the game often. But it sure affects me.

Mostly, a dome would send a message that IU is serious about changing things and leaving history behind and out-recruiting/out-playing the big boys in the new college football world.

I believe it was Indiana Railroad that offered this one year in the early 1990s. Fans boarded the train south of downtown Indy near the intersection of Senate Ave/Wisconsin Street and got off near Woodlawn Ave (I believe). It was a convenient and fun experience.
That sounds like fun. If they sold booze I'd be all in. Especially the return trip after a win.

That sounds like fun. If they sold booze I'd be all in. Especially the return trip after a win.
Some entrepreneurs are missing out big time by not running party trains to various events in the state.

Indiana was a major player in public transportation with the Interurban. It's too bad we can't have something like that now.

Some entrepreneurs are missing out big time by not running party trains to various events in the state.

Indiana was a major player in public transportation with the Interurban. It's too bad we can't have something like that now.
I took the fan train from Indy to Bloomington many years ago, the
problem was the train had to go from Indy to Terre Haute then
down to Bloomington on the Monon tracks because the
more direct route through Nashville was not certified
for passenger traffic, I believe the Nashville route
is now passenger certified.

It was a fun train trip, and they had a baggage car
full of barrels of iced down beer, good time.

They strapped your ass to a pine rail and sent you up the Monon line. "Leave the ball George".

Last edited:

I didn't realize there's a train from Indy to Nashville. Isn't there one that goes straight south through Morgantown and Bean Blossom?

I didn't realize there's a train from Indy to Nashville. Isn't there one that goes straight south through Morgantown and Bean Blossom?
I may be wrong about the Nashville part, I thought the
one from Morgantown went to Nashville??

Reactions: vesuvius13
I really don't know. I just figured it would be a straighter shot to Bloomington through Morgantown, but if you had to go through Terra Haute, then evidently not.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
They don't run a passenger train now, do they?
Here's the latest RR map I could find (but I didn't spend a lot of time doing so, so there's probably a much better one out there somewhere):

Looks like the preferred route would be the Indiana RR line from Indianapolis to Bloomington...

As long as they have the line certified it could be done... Seems to me that the major issues would be where they'd board and deboard at both ends of the route... Whoever is running it might need to also have shuttles available at either end (to link the boarding area with the respective parking lots).

Appears that the Indiana Railroad Company would be the ones to contact with questions (if they still exist).

Last edited:
Here's the latest RR map I could find (but I didn't spend a lot of time doing so, so there's probably a much better one out there somewhere):

Looks like the preferred route would be the Indiana RR line from Indianapolis to Bloomington...

As long as they have the line certified it could be done... Seems to me that the major issues would be where they'd board and deboard at both ends of the route... Whoever is running it might need to also have shuttles available at either end (to link the boarding area with the respective parking lots).

Appears that the Indiana Railroad Company would be the ones to contact with questions (if they still exist).
That is an active line though I think mostly coal trains use it. I live close enough to hear the train’s whistle. Maybe something could be worked out on it.

That is an active line though I think mostly coal trains use it. I live close enough to hear the train’s whistle. Maybe something could be worked out on it.
I have a friend who works for a company that manages tourist trains - like in Colorado and Arizona.

I'm going to contact him to see if it would be feasible to set something up.

Thanks, @76-1 for the research.

I have a friend who works for a company that manages tourist trains - like in Colorado and Arizona.

I'm going to contact him to see if it would be feasible to set something up.

Thanks, @76-1 for the research.
There are no passenger trains on the line now, but a
fan train could use the line now since it has been
certified for passengers. Arrangements would have
to be made with the Indiana Railroad Co. for track use.
A couple of years ago when I was stopped at the
Southport road crossing a fan train passed by, I checked
with Ind. Railroad about how someone would get on
that train and the representative said it was by invitation only.

After thinking about this far longer than I should have, my sponsor choice would be Red Solo Cups. Red Solo cups have a natural tie-in with college students and the tailgate crowd. Call Memorial Stadium "Big Red" Solo Cup Stadium, affectionately known as the Red Solo Cup. Would be easy to stamp Indiana, Hoosiers, etc. into the side of the cups which could be used at the stadium, sold all over Indiana, etc. Perhaps they could candy stripe the cups. In addition, you could play Toby Keith's Red Solo Cup song between quarters. I'm honestly very fired up about the potential of this.

Toby Keith's Red Solo Cup

Red Solo cup
I fill you up
(pack the Rock!)
Let's have a party
Let's have a party

Update. I emailed Scott Dolson to share my Red Solo Cup sponsorship idea. Props to him for responding. I assume the idea will go nowhere, but I wanted to give him credit for not ignoring the idea. I raise my Red Solo Cup to you Scott!
s-l1600.png

There are no passenger trains on the line now, but a
fan train could use the line now since it has been
certified for passengers. Arrangements would have
to be made with the Indiana Railroad Co. for track use.
A couple of years ago when I was stopped at the
Southport road crossing a fan train passed by, I checked
with Ind. Railroad about how someone would get on
that train and the representative said it was by invitation only.
Was the fan train going to Bloomington?

The good news about track use is that, from my observations anyway, most of that track is utilized at night..., so getting a daylight run approved might not be as tough as it sounds...
Purdue should look into it. According to the map you posted, there are 2 routes from Indy to Lafayette - one is through Montgomery County and looks to be the most direct and the other is through Frankfort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT