ADVERTISEMENT

If Urban Meyer is fired by OSU, should IU hire him?

I want IU football to compete for bowls annually.
Some of what I mentioned in the past is sarcasm based on watching IU football over the last several decdes, but the key is leadership that can recruit at a Top Tier B1G Level to compete for postseason bowls. The B1G East has games where IU will be the underdog every season.(OSU, PSU, UM, MSU) and when they schedule Wis, Neb, Iowa, NW, IU will nearly have to win every non-conference game and beat PU to be bowl eligible. When NW is much better now in football than IU it is embarrasing. No reason IU can not recruit better in football.
IU is recruiting well enough with Allen's staff to improve quite a bit when all his recruits fill the roster. WS until this year had been ranked in the 40s or 30s with their recruiting classes. It takes getting the right players to fit your system something Coach Wilson wasn't good at with dropback and DT QBs. Coach Allen has a plan the staff is sticking to so they get the right players in for their system. Give the coaching staff four years of recruit before judging if they can recruit well enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
IU is recruiting well enough with Allen's staff to improve quite a bit when all his recruits fill the roster. WS until this year had been ranked in the 40s or 30s with there recruiting classes. It takes getting the right players to fit your system something Coach Wilson wasn't good at with dropback and DT QBs. Coach Allen has a plan the staff is sticking to so they get the right players in for their system. Give the coaching staff four years of recruit before judging if they can recruit well enough.
You say that Allen is Recruiting well enough to improve quite a bit and then say that it will take four years before his Recruiting can be fairly judged. Based on class rankings, Recruiting isn’t so good. What reasons are there that IU can improve quite a bit in spite of that?

You say that Allen is Recruiting well enough to improve quite a bit and then say that it will take four years before his Recruiting can be fairly judged. Based on class rankings, Recruiting isn’t so good. What reasons are there that IU can improve quite a bit in spite of that?

I think he is referring to development.
It takes a full cycle to develop your guys. At least that’s what I think he is saying. You are just looking at paper.

One of the best classes IU ever got in the Rivals history was 2013 and several of those guys never got on the field or stayed to make an impact.

Ratings won’t mean squat if you don’t develop and the guys leave.

Rashard Fant was a 4-star and it wasn’t till his mid-junior season that he really seemed to start pulling it all together. Thus, development.

Reactions: jsglenn4 and 76-1
I looked at the IU Football aeason schedule. 5-7 is what I realistically see as the top end of realistic expectations and no bowl.

This was a lot more than an "altercation." Also, there was police involvement and charges were filed. This goes back to 2009 in Gainesville, FL when Smith was charged with aggravated battery on a pregnant victim, when he allegedly threw his wife into a wall. Published reports say that the wife/victim was pressured by a friend of Meyer's and by Earle Bruce (Smith's grandfather) to drop the charges, and she did. Meyer and his wife then recommended counseling, which the couple attended, but the abuse didn't stop.

Meyer rehired Smith when he got the gig in Columbus. There was another violent incident in 2015 and it appears that Meyer lied last week, from the podium in Chicago, when he denied knowing about it until recently.

Meyer's history of hiring includes not only this guy (Smith) but some other questionable characters as well. And he may have protected Aaron Hernandez, who punched a guy in the side of the head (rupturing his eardrum) but was never charged, and was also a suspect in an attempted homicide (before he was convicted of an actual homicide). If you're okay with protecting and/or enabling violent assailants, then Meyer's your man.
You do understand what the word "alleged" means... right? Smith was never arrested or charged. He admits he never told Meyer about anything. Wanted to keep it in the family. Smith's wife said she "assumed" urban knew. No evidence and both Smith's mother and his wife's mother both said they think the wife is lying about the abuse in the first place.

You do understand what the word "alleged" means... right? Smith was never arrested or charged. He admits he never told Meyer about anything. Wanted to keep it in the family. Smith's wife said she "assumed" urban knew. No evidence and both Smith's mother and his wife's mother both said they think the wife is lying about the abuse in the first place.
Urban, is that you? If so, welcome to the board!

Reactions: Chriselli
All the reporting undermining Smith's wife and McMurphy's reporting is coming from Jeff Snook, a loyal OSU hack, and is probably doing so probably just to muddy the waters and sow doubt, and potentially at the behest of Meyer and his lawyers.

It does seem rather odd that Snook, who is a devoted OSU fan and book writer, is the centerpiece of these retorts. His book “What It Means To Be A Buckeye” has a forward written by Urban Meyer himself and in it, he praises Earl Bruce.

Guess what? Earl Bruce is Zach Smith’s grandfather. That’s right. Earl’s daughter is Zach Smith’s mom.

Reactions: 76-1
It does seem rather odd that Snook, who is a devoted OSU fan and book writer, is the centerpiece of these retorts. His book “What It Means To Be A Buckeye” has a forward written by Urban Meyer himself and in it, he praises Earl Bruce.

Guess what? Earl Bruce is Zach Smith’s grandfather. That’s right. Earl’s daughter is Zach Smith’s mom.

Plus, in his posts, he is super-antagonistic of other reporting, and doesn't even attempt to look an objective. His goal predominantly seems to be to rile up OSU fans rather to report facts, which call his credibility into question

And that is the only reason Zach Smith kept his job and why "the" Urb tried to cover for him. There's a lot of equal to, or better, WR coaches out there than Zach Smith...

I know what it means. I also know what it doesn't mean - - "exonerated."

Almost everything about your post is wrong. Smith was arrested for domestic violence in 2009. Meyer and his wife then "counseled" the couple. I think it's safe to assume the counseling didn't work. Meyer has admitted he knew of another incident in 2015, after initially denying knowledge of it during his Big Ten Media Days remarks. There are pictures, texts and other compelling evidence of abuse. You're either blinded by your devotion to Meyer or you're clueless.

I know what it means. I also know what it doesn't mean - - "exonerated."

Almost everything about your post is wrong. Smith was arrested for domestic violence in 2009. Meyer and his wife then "counseled" the couple. I think it's safe to assume the counseling didn't work. Meyer has admitted he knew of another incident in 2015, after initially denying knowledge of it during his Big Ten Media Days remarks. There are pictures, texts and other compelling evidence of abuse. You're either blinded by your devotion to Meyer or you're clueless.

Yeah, what Smith says he didn't tell Meyer about was a 2013 drunk driving offense, but it sounds like Meyer and he talked about everything else

Reactions: iulb
IU is recruiting well enough with Allen's staff to improve quite a bit when all his recruits fill the roster. WS until this year had been ranked in the 40s or 30s with their recruiting classes. It takes getting the right players to fit your system something Coach Wilson wasn't good at with dropback and DT QBs. Coach Allen has a plan the staff is sticking to so they get the right players in for their system. Give the coaching staff four years of recruit before judging if they can recruit well enough.
My point is that NW and WS don't get highly rated classes yet develop winning teams based on gettting their type of players in and developing them. I was pointing out to critics that class ranking isn't the end all when it comes to developing winning programs. IU is unlikely to match the B1G East recruiting classes but can match NW and WS with getting the right kind of players in and coaching them up to compete with the best in the B1G.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
That's Urbans idea of a guy who is a coach and mentor of young men... Phony Urban Meyer... All hot air...
And Smith is hardly the only guy with a sketchy reputation who he's brought on board.

Meyer probably should be canned, but I doubt the OSU administration will have the balls to do it. He wins too much.

Reactions: iulb
And Smith is hardly the only guy with a sketchy reputation who he's brought on board.

Meyer probably should be canned, but I doubt the OSU administration will have the balls to do it. He wins too much.
The timing is the only issue. OSU will fire you in a heartbeat and go get somebody just as good or better. Ask Woody and Tressel.

The timing is the only issue. OSU will fire you in a heartbeat and go get somebody just as good or better. Ask Woody and Tressel.
So true. Ohio State has shown they are more than willing to fire highly successful coaches if they don’t conduct themselves properly. Ethics among their administration isnt in question.

money has always mattered to schools, but the drive for money seems to have gone from a means to an end, to the end goal itself these days.

i don't see Meyer going anywhere.

as for Woody, even doing what he did on national tv probably wouldn't have gotten him fired had it not been for his age.

I think they understood what happened at IU and more importantly why and thus had no problem bringing him there.

I think they understood as well, thus the irony in your proclamation. Now that another OSU head coach is being exposed, it will be interesting to see their "ethics" play out.

I think they understood as well, thus the irony in your proclamation. Now that another OSU head coach is being exposed, it will be interesting to see their "ethics" play out.
Suspending Meyer and conducting a formal investigation before deciding how to deal with the allegations looks like an ethical way to handle things. I think they realized Wilson got that which is why they understood the circumstances of his IU ending. Will be interesting to learn the facts about Meyer. Sounds like Smith was a mess.

Last edited:
Suspending Meyer and conducting a formal investigation before deciding how to deal with the allegations looks like an ethical way to handle things. I think they realized Wilson didn’t get any of that which is why they understood the circumstances of his IU ending. Will be interesting to learn the facts about Meyer. Sounds like Smith was a mess.

KW absolutely was given due proces, that was made public.

Urby's buddy IS a mess and has been for some time.

KW absolutely was given due proces, that was made public.

Urby's buddy IS a mess and has been for some time.
I don’t remember much of it, but I recall IU suspended Wilson and then conducted a full and independent investigation before issuing a public report on what happened. No sympathy for him since they fully disclosed everything.

I don’t remember much of it, but I recall IU suspended Wilson and then conducted a full and independent investigation before issuing a public report on what happened. No sympathy for him since they fully disclosed everything.

Odd that you would make statements as fact when you "don't remember much of it". We have seen posters like you here and it rarely goes well.

Odd that you would make statements as fact when you "don't remember much of it". We have seen posters like you here and it rarely goes well.
It was a while ago so it was just my recollection and I’m sure you know the details of the suspension, investigation and report much much better than me. It looks like Ohio State and Maryland have followed IU’s lead in how to deal with their coaches too, which is a testament to the way the AD does things in the light of day.

Yeah, what Smith says he didn't tell Meyer about was a 2013 drunk driving offense, but it sounds like Meyer and he talked about everything else
Think about 2013 for a minute . . .

He is arrested in Powell , a suburb of Columbus right next to Dublin on the Northside. His arrest paperwork says he works for Ohio State University; he got his driving privileges restricted, which certainly meant for sure his employer was disclosed to the court. Finally, the judge of the court that handled his case is a member of tOSU athletic booster club. Plus, as noted before, he’s Earle Bruce’s grandson.

Add ALL that together . . . and we’re supposed to believe Urban Meyer knew NOTHING about the case for 5-1/2 years? Tom Crean has a better chance of winning a championship this coming season than Meyer NOT knowing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT