ADVERTISEMENT

If Urban Meyer is fired by OSU, should IU hire him?

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
This could be a rare opportunity and timing for IU to hire a top 5 Football coach. I know he may have covered up for an assistant coach alleged abuse of his wife. DeAntonio and his MSU football players molest and commit rape, he looks the other way or covers it up, and he's still coaching at MSU. IU will never win big without a Big Time coach that recruit high end talent and coaches them to major bowls.

Reactions: BayernFan
This could be a rare opportunity and timing for IU to hire a top 5 Football coach. I know he may have covered up for an assistant coach alleghis wife. That is not a student. DeAntonio and his alleged abuse j9jj9jMSU football players commit rape, ph he looks the other way or covers it up, and he's still coaching at MSU. IU will never win big without a Big Time coach that recruit high end talent and coach them to major bowls.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the guy who once predicted/declared a 1-11 season after starting 1-0...we proceeded to go to our first bowl in 10 years.

He also said investing in football facilities was a waste of time and that the soccer team should play at MS because they would draw better.

Go away.

This could be a rare opportunity and timing for IU to hire a top 5 Football coach. I know he may have covered up for an assistant coach alleged abuse of his wife. DeAntonio and his MSU football players molest and commit rape, he looks the other way or covers it up, and he's still coaching at MSU. IU will never win big without a Big Time coach that recruit high end talent and coaches them to major bowls.

No

Nope

Project Veritas? The James O’Queef group that deceptively edits videos to make people look bad? Meyer is scum but don’t link to their website.

Reactions: turney333
tumblr_m3s3snwp1p1rvhcoto1_400.jpg

Oh, it's a rare opportunity alright!! Hey UFO guy - - come back to earth.

P.S. This is my nominee for funniest thread of the year.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Only if Urban promises to bring CKW with him..... (dws).

I may be in the minority here, but that is okay.. No charges have been filed against the assistant coach. Even the victim didn't want him to be fired. As far as we know, he shows up to work and must be doing a good job.

I manage 9 people. I am not going to fire one of them because there are texts that he has had an altercation with his wife. I will sit him down and suggest he separate himself from her and get counselling, but if there is neither a complaint filed with the police or charges brought against him, I am not going to fire him. It is a personal matter. My job as a manager is not to check on my people to make sure they do everything proper away from work. The exception is if he is involved in activity that affects his work or I see him do something that confirms the act he is accused of.

I'm not an Urban Meyer fan. I can separate my personal feelings from what is done in the workplace. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired. I'm sure IU wouldn't hire him. Someone will hire him and they will be a contender in a couple of years.

BTW, my wife does support Meyer. I would have thought again about this if she had thought differently.

I may be in the minority here, but that is okay.. No charges have been filed against the assistant coach. Even the victim didn't want him to be fired. As far as we know, he shows up to work and must be doing a good job.

I manage 9 people. I am not going to fire one of them because there are texts that he has had an altercation with his wife. I will sit him down and suggest he separate himself from her and get counselling, but if there is neither a complaint filed with the police or charges brought against him, I am not going to fire him. It is a personal matter. My job as a manager is not to check on my people to make sure they do everything proper away from work. The exception is if he is involved in activity that affects his work or I see him do something that confirms the act he is accused of.

I'm not an Urban Meyer fan. I can separate my personal feelings from what is done in the workplace. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired. I'm sure IU wouldn't hire him. Someone will hire him and they will be a contender in a couple of years.

BTW, my wife does support Meyer. I would have thought again about this if she had thought differently.
Holy God.

This was a lot more than an "altercation." Also, there was police involvement and charges were filed. This goes back to 2009 in Gainesville, FL when Smith was charged with aggravated battery on a pregnant victim, when he allegedly threw his wife into a wall. Published reports say that the wife/victim was pressured by a friend of Meyer's and by Earle Bruce (Smith's grandfather) to drop the charges, and she did. Meyer and his wife then recommended counseling, which the couple attended, but the abuse didn't stop.

Meyer rehired Smith when he got the gig in Columbus. There was another violent incident in 2015 and it appears that Meyer lied last week, from the podium in Chicago, when he denied knowing about it until recently.

Meyer's history of hiring includes not only this guy (Smith) but some other questionable characters as well. And he may have protected Aaron Hernandez, who punched a guy in the side of the head (rupturing his eardrum) but was never charged, and was also a suspect in an attempted homicide (before he was convicted of an actual homicide). If you're okay with protecting and/or enabling violent assailants, then Meyer's your man.

If your employee's wife texted your wife about being abused, would she tell you? And if she did, would you later deny it?

So we fire Wilson for player abuse and turn around and hire a coach who knew about and then lied about spousal abuse?
PASS

So we fire Wilson for player abuse and turn around and hire a coach who knew about and then lied about spousal abuse?
PASS
source.gif

This was a lot more than an "altercation." Also, there was police involvement and charges were filed. This goes back to 2009 in Gainesville, FL when Smith was charged with aggravated battery on a pregnant victim, when he allegedly threw his wife into a wall. Published reports say that the wife/victim was pressured by a friend of Meyer's and by Earle Bruce (Smith's grandfather) to drop the charges, and she did. Meyer and his wife then recommended counseling, which the couple attended, but the abuse didn't stop.

Meyer rehired Smith when he got the gig in Columbus. There was another violent incident in 2015 and it appears that Meyer lied last week, from the podium in Chicago, when he denied knowing about it until recently.

Meyer's history of hiring includes not only this guy (Smith) but some other questionable characters as well. And he may have protected Aaron Hernandez, who punched a guy in the side of the head (rupturing his eardrum) but was never charged, and was also a suspect in an attempted homicide (before he was convicted of an actual homicide). If you're okay with protecting and/or enabling violent assailants, then Meyer's your man.

I’m also guessing there is more to this story, but we are also only hearing about the things that McMurphy could verify (text messages) working as an independent journalist.

There's no vacancy, thankfully.

Project Veritas? The James O’Queef group that deceptively edits videos to make people look bad? Meyer is scum but don’t link to their website.
Deceptively edits? Translation: you don’t agree with their view but will hurl accusations bc it fits your viewpoint.

Deceptively edits? Translation: you don’t agree with their view but will hurl accusations bc it fits your viewpoint.

O’Queef is a convicted felon who had to pay a $100k fine to a former ACORN employee he smeared. That punk also tried to end Shirley Sherrod’s career but after the unedited footage was released the government offered her back her old job because she didn’t say anything bad.

O’Queef is a dirty trickster.

Last edited:
I don’t know about all this Meyer stuff but I know Calipari is going to be available after this year and he’s got a National Championship. This Miller guy has done nothing here and he had veterans coming back last year and we sucked. He didn’t even make the NIT?
If IU basketball was serious, they’d hire a real coach like Calipari.

Now...digest that for a minute and let your blood pressure come down a bit.

What I just typed is how stupid some of you guys sound around here.

He'd be a good hire. He did a nice job at Toledo, and quickly turned things around at Iowa State.

The more I read, the more convinced I am that Meyer is toast at OSU. He's another in a series of highly successful coaches (and we had one in a different sport) who self-destructed. I guess ego and arrogance take over with some of these guys, and they think they can say and do whatever they want. Gotta hand it to the great coaches who are principled and do things the right way.

O’Queef is a convicted felon who had to pay a $100k fine to a former ACORN employee he smeared. That punk also tried to end Shirley Sherrod’s career but after the unedited footage was released the government offered her back her old job because she didn’t say anything bad.

O’Queef is a dirty trickster.

Not a convicted felon. And that video was edited by Breitbart, Larry O'Connor was specified as the employee in the lawsuit. I don't believe O'Keefe has any official relationship with Breitbart.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the guy who once predicted/declared a 1-11 season after starting 1-0...we proceeded to go to our first bowl in 10 years.

He also said investing in football facilities was a waste of time and that the soccer team should play at MS because they would draw better.

Go away.
And this from a guy that once stated he wasn't going to post on the free board anymore.

He'd be a good hire. He did a nice job at Toledo, and quickly turned things around at Iowa State.

The more I read, the more convinced I am that Meyer is toast at OSU. He's another in a series of highly successful coaches (and we had one in a different sport) who self-destructed. I guess ego and arrogance take over with some of these guys, and they think they can say and do whatever they want. Gotta hand it to the great coaches who are principled and do things the right way.
Yep. Nonetheless, the time is nigh for poaching OSU commits who don't know who the Buckeye coach will be next year.

Not a convicted felon. And that video was edited by Breitbart, Larry O'Connor was specified as the employee in the lawsuit. I don't believe O'Keefe has any official relationship with Breitbart.

He pled guilty to a felony so he is a felon.

Pretty much agree with you. Never understood
why people expect the football coach to do what
law enforcement refused to do??

Last edited:
Reactions: iubud
Pretty much agree with you. Never understood
why people expect the football coach to do what
law enforcement refused to do??
Said coach was allegedly complicit in "encouraging" the victim not to press charges at School #1, rehired the abuser at School #2, took no meaningful action when another violent incident, involving the same people, was brought to his attention in 2015, and apparently lied about his knowledge/awareness of the incident in front of assembled media and a national television audience last week. Is this the kind of person you want leading a group of young men? Are you effing kidding me?

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Said coach was allegedly complicit in "encouraging" the victim not to press charges at School #1, rehired the abuser at School #2, took no meaningful action when another violent incident, involving the same people, was brought to his attention in 2015, and apparently lied about his knowledge/awareness of the incident in front of assembled media and a national television audience last week. Is this the kind of person you want leading a group of young men? Are you effing kidding me?

Yep, it very much appears that Urban was actively involved in efforts to keep law enforcement out of it. In which case that's not just a fire-able offense, but perhaps a criminal one.

Also, the other assistant coaches knew and apparently at least some confronted Urban to do so something. Those coaches could have done something themselves, but if they were scared of retribution towards their careers, then Urban needs to be fired for creating such a hostile work environment

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Urban-Meyer--489958221.html

Last edited:
[QUOTE="RBB89, post: 2444052, member: 327I'll take that as a prayer. I appreciate it!

What were your predictions and expectations before the season began in each sport? How do you think our AD is doing so far nearly a decade in, regarding both sports?

Football 6-6 +/- 1
Borderline bowl

Basketball 21-12 +/- 2
Lock for NIT and bubble for NCAA
And, no blowout losses to IPFW and ISU.

I think Fred Glass is doing a fantastic job. Best investment and growth in facilities in IU history. Operates in the black. Donations are at all-time highs.

If your employee's wife texted your wife about being abused, would she tell you? And if she did, would you later deny it?
I wouldn't deny it. Meyer made a bad decision. I can't read his mind, but I would make every effort to protect their privacy until charges were filed or legal action would have made the case public. I would respect the wife's privacy as well as not prematurely accusing the coach. Denying after the facts had come out was Meyer trying to fend off criticism. People never learn that cover ups cause more issues than the truth.

OSU can do whatever they want. He isn't our coach. He will move on and be fine. OSU will hire a new coach and they will still win.

Football 6-6 +/- 1
Borderline bowl

Basketball 21-12 +/- 2
Lock for NIT and bubble for NCAA
And, no blowout losses to IPFW and ISU.

I think Fred Glass is doing a fantastic job. Best investment and growth in facilities in IU history. Operates in the black. Donations are at all-time highs.

A lot is riding on this season. If IU misses a bowl and the basketball team struggles then I don’t know how anyone can defend Glass.

Reactions: Upset Alert
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT