ADVERTISEMENT

0 for B1G should get Tom Allen fired, need a Coach Prime type hire

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Colorado’s AD when they hired Coach Prime paraphrased) , “ it was time to get relevant or get out” IU needs their own Coach Prime an earth moving head coach hire. It is long past time for IU to either pay for a difference making top coach and become relevant in the age of the B1G-SEC Big Two conference realignment. Big time college football programs are driving this entire college sports conference landscape change. IU needs to become relevant in football or drop football and join a a basketball only revenue generating sport conference like the Big East, where several schools do not field a football team.

Last edited:
Colorado’s AD when they hired Coach Prime paraphrased) , “ it was time to get relevant or get out” IU needs their own Coach Prime an earth moving head coach hire. It is long past time for IU to either pay for a difference making top coach and become relevant in the age of the B1G-SEC Big Two conference realignment. Big time college football programs are driving this entire college sports conference landscape change. IU needs to become relevant in football or drop football and join a a basketball only revenue generating sport conference like the Big East, where several schools do not field a football team.
get relevant or get out. i like it.

This is a serious question....

How much MORE does IU need to "pay for a difference making coach?" If we are currently paying a coach who has a $20 million buyout, doesn't that indicate we ARE willing to pay the money....our administrators just used that money on a really, really, REALLY bad investment in TA?

I always hear how we don't invest in football at IU but I'm really uneducated about what it would mean to invest in it.

What should we be doing that we aren't doing? (Football-only weight room is the only thing I hear consistently and I believe that is being taken care of soon.)

How much MORE does IU need to "pay for a difference making coach?" If we are currently paying a coach who has a $20 million buyout, doesn't that indicate we ARE willing to pay the money....our administrators just used that money on a really, really, REALLY bad investment in TA?

I always hear how we don't invest in football at IU but I'm really uneducated about what it would mean to invest in it.

What should we be doing that we aren't doing? (Football-only weight room is the only thing I hear consistently and I believe that is being taken care of soon.)
Pay for assistants especially for coordinators doesn't compete with other teams. Everyone wonders how Bell got the job, Dolson only designated $500k for the job while Washington pays their OC $2m. The salaries don't seem reasonable but if you are competing against others you pay the going rate or accept you won't compete.

Pay the HC middle of the road B10 salary, with performance incentives.

Pay the coordinators and position coaches at the top of the conference.

Hire a guy, research it yourself, stay in a Holiday Inn Express...whatever it takes...to have the vision and knowledge to ensure those coordinators are good, dynamic, difference makers. Don't be worried about losing them...hell, go get young ones that you KNOW you'll lose! If you lose them its because they did a good job. If they did a good job, you win. Go find the next dynamic, young coordinator and pay them well too.

When the time comes for a change...go find a successful FBS, D3, whatever coach. Someone with a good football mind, great organizational skills, a leader...then surround him with the best young football minds B10 football level money can buy.

I, too, like to treat my own premises as fact before they even happen.

There are at least four games left IU should be competitive in, being Rutgers, Illinois, Michigan State, and Purdue. Assuming they lose every single one of those is completely unreasonable.
IU will be the underdog in every B1G game this season. So it would be an upset for IU to win a remaining game.

Underdog in every B1G game means this Tom Allen IU team is not competitive. IU ndeslerstely needs a new program changing Head coach.Go Big or Go Home. Get relevant, or get out!

Before IU hires another FB coach they need to hire a difference making AD...

An AD who will have the respect and influence to be a power broker, not just among the B1G AD's, but the power holders within the NCAA as well....

Not until then will they be able to attract a coach who will have a fair chance to turn around the program...

The current AD is weak....

Last edited:
Before IU hires another FB coach they need to hire a difference making AD...

An AD who will have the respect and influence to be a power broker, not just among the B1G AD's, but the power holders within the NCAA as well....

Not until then will they be able to attract a coach who will have a fair chance to turn around the program...

The current AD is weak....
It was really disappointing they hired Dolson instead of Pat Kraft [both had IU backgrounds] as the BOT told us what was important to them. IU needs a good house cleaning across the board to get a football minded group together if football and basketball is to change. Woodson gets the support to do well, I think he will, and it would be nice if enough effort was made for football. Seeing the contract Carey got maybe it can change.

Why don't you wait until the end of the season to start emulating "Coach Prime". He's got a great offensive coordinator who was a head coach who is carrying his team right now. That guy will be gone after this year, and we'll see what's left.
Back up the brinks truck and get Sean Lewis here. He is who we should be going after.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
It was really disappointing they hired Dolson instead of Pat Kraft [both had IU backgrounds] as the BOT told us what was important to them. IU needs a good house cleaning across the board to get a football minded group together if football and basketball is to change. Woodson gets the support to do well, I think he will, and it would be nice if enough effort was made for football. Seeing the contract Carey got maybe it can change.

Scotty Basketball was ordained as the new AD before Fred even left. There was never going to be other candidates. It was his job in waiting . If for some reason he didn’t want it, the next in line was a department secretary who had been with IU for 45 years named Marge.

Underdog in every B1G game means this Tom Allen IU team is not competitive. IU ndeslerstely needs a new program changing Head coach.Go Big or Go Home. Get relevant, or get out!
There’s a decent chance we are favored against MSU. ESPN already has us as a slight favorite now, and Sparty has gotten worse over the last few weeks.

I. don'y know about hiring a lightning rod Coach like sanders, But here is the Stat that should be the vfinal nail in Allen's Coffin.
With all the problems and upheaval at Northwestern at the start of the Year (loss of long term head Coach, appointment of an interim head coach Who never expected to be in that situation, and uncertainty among the Players), they should be as big a Dumpster fire as MSU, but they Aren't. They are 4-4 on the year and have 2 wins in the big 10. They have character, leadership, and have pulled together for a common cause.

We on the other hand have a Coach in his seventh year, with no Big Ten wins, and the inability to correct ongoing mistakes. But, Hey, We Love Each Other and that is so much more important than the Won=Loss Record.

Or maybe it means we had a front loaded schedule where 4 of the 7 FBS teams we played are ranked in the top 15 and a combined 30-2.
Barely scratching out of victory against Akron in a game that Akron should have won did not help.

I would love to provide cribs, but if you read the article there have been increases in every category imaginable which has led to millions and millions of dollars for Boulder and the Buffs. This was written over a month ago too so the numbers are a lot larger by now. You make a splash coaching hire, a guy with NIL knowledge and also an AD that understands this it's not hard to gain traction and get successful quick. When Rick George hired Prime he didn't even have the money secured but knew it would come. It's rolling in now.

Pay for assistants especially for coordinators doesn't compete with other teams. Everyone wonders how Bell got the job, Dolson only designated $500k for the job while Washington pays their OC $2m. The salaries don't seem reasonable but if you are competing against others you pay the going rate or accept you won't compete.
You keep spreading misinformation about the Bell hire. Bell was CTAs first choice Regardless of budget (for some reason unknown to the rest of the college football world.) We offered him $700k (not $500k as you state) and he jumped at it because he knew nobody else would pay him more after his repeated failures. It didnt make sense to offer more.

This was still a very competitive salary for an oc at the tine. Mark Whipple, for example, coming off a Broyles award finalist season leading Kenny Pickett to a Heisman run was hired by Neb for $875k that same year.

Iu paid Deboer $800k back in 2019 because because that was his market value and he deserved it.

So stop blaming Dolson for the Bell hire. CTA made a horrendously bad decision and it was not because he was constrained by the budget.

Reactions: bang63 and midwolfe
Coach Tom Hindsight.
When will he make the right decision / strategy in the game itself rather than after we’ve lost?

Again, as I said previously, he’s way too emotional during the game that he often loses rational thought process.
Cut him some slack. He's in playoff mode. Playoffs!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: midwolfe
Cut him some slack. He's in playoff mode. Playoffs!!!!

When I heard that, I couldn’t believe it. I guess that means that it’s crunch time and he believes this team will pull out all the stops?
He repeatedly said he likes this team and believes in them. He sure as hell didn’t believe in them after we intercepted inside the 20 yard line. He basically called 3 “fetal position” plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT