ADVERTISEMENT

Holtmann

I think it largely comes down to 2 factors:

1) the will to attempt to do it;
2) the competence to successfully do it

I think most Admin folks tend to wait for circumstances to force them to find the will to do it. And even then I don’t know if the the requisite competence is there to successfully pull it off.

I don't think you can say that Dolson has been forced in the coach decisions.
He moved on Archie when most thought he wouldn't.
The same can be said about Allen.
Now the competence part in regards to the Woodson hire can be questioned but I think it is hard to do without knowing all the possible back room antics that might have happened.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
So who is qualified to have an opinion of Dolson? Other ADs? University Presidents? Trustees?

Basketball programs are quantifiable and fans can determine what is good and bad.

IU has every advantage: top-10 NIL, big bball budget, great homecourt, great fans, reasonably good facilities, national exposure, and history. Basically top-10 in every resource.

Yet we are ranked about #100 in year three with no clear catalysts for that materially changing. Dolson is responsible for basketball, our premier sport at IU. Woody coaches the team. Some people aren’t good at their job, assuming the goal is to win and everything good that comes with that.

Or maybe being #100 is actually good for IU, perhaps there is a qualified person who can set me straight.

Personally, I find it much more appropriate to criticize admin. Win/lose the final responsibility lies with them per their job description. I don’t like the player criticism. In that case I think it’s hard to know the whole picture and things can be out of their control, so you really just want to pull for them to do well.
Anyone with a first hand view of the program, combined with some sort of organizational leadership experience, and knowledge of what is actually causing the problem is qualified to have an opinion. Do you, Bailey, or bsmitty have those three things? Do you have two of the three? Too many losses = bad. Ranked 100 is bad. That's some high level analysis. Thanks for the illumination.

Yes, we are having a bad season. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten, despite the hourly reminders I've been reading for the last 3 months.

Of course, the last two seasons were, eh, satisfactory? Better than the preceding 5 seasons, anyhow. But hey, right this second we are 100th, so bang that drum long and hard now that our ranking suits your argument.

You dont care for criticising the players? That's actually hilarious. The guys who play the games are losing more games than we'd like, but we can't blame them notwithstanding their top 10 NIL deals, we can only blame admin. Newsflash, Woodson and Dolson don't shoot the ball. I'm relatively sure Woodson doesn't tell the kids to play defense if they feel like it.

Every coach throws up a clunker of a season every now and then, RMK included. But you have no idea who will be on the roster next year and no one cares whether you see or don't see the catalyst for improvement. It will happen or it won't, and we will either have a new coach later this year or at some point down the road. No amount of belly aching on here about some alleged administrative deficiency will change that. Maybe we should blame the band director too. I mean, they attend as many or more games than Dolson and Buckner do. And they provide 0 leadership and 0 culture for the team.

You disappeared from this board for 5 years and then came back 6 weeks ago, and started posting 8 times a day. I honestly wonder why.

Anyone with a first hand view of the program, combined with some sort of organizational leadership experience, and knowledge of what is actually causing the problem is qualified to have an opinion. Do you, Bailey, or bsmitty have those three things? Do you have two of the three? Too many losses = bad. Ranked 100 is bad. That's some high level analysis. Thanks for the illumination.

Yes, we are having a bad season. Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten, despite the hourly reminders I've been reading for the last 3 months.

Of course, the last two seasons were, eh, satisfactory? Better than the preceding 5 seasons, anyhow. But hey, right this second we are 100th, so bang that drum long and hard now that our ranking suits your argument.

You dont care for criticising the players? That's actually hilarious. The guys who play the games are losing more games than we'd like, but we can't blame them notwithstanding their top 10 NIL deals, we can only blame admin. Newsflash, Woodson and Dolson don't shoot the ball. I'm relatively sure Woodson doesn't tell the kids to play defense if they feel like it.

Every coach throws up a clunker of a season every now and then, RMK included. But you have no idea who will be on the roster next year and no one cares whether you see or don't see the catalyst for improvement. It will happen or it won't, and we will either have a new coach later this year or at some point down the road. No amount of belly aching on here about some alleged administrative deficiency will change that. Maybe we should blame the band director too. I mean, they attend as many or more games than Dolson and Buckner do. And they provide 0 leadership and 0 culture for the team.

You disappeared from this board for 5 years and then came back 6 weeks ago, and started posting 8 times a day. I honestly wonder why.
You act like this is so complicated when it's simple. It's a basic organization. Scott Dolson is responsible for the bball program results, in addition to all athletics. He hired Mike Woodson to assemble and coach a bball team. Woody recruits players to play the game. That's it.

Woody recruits the players, he is responsible for who is on the team and how they perform. I don't bother worrying about the players since Woody and his boss Dolson are ultimately responsible. They're kids, I like pulling for them, and I don't know what might be going their way or not. If people want to get upset with them that's fine.

I'll drop the #100 argument when we get better. The key is we have top-10 resources and we don't get close to top-10 results. It's a bummer for our players, fans, and school.

Good coaches have clunkers, but not #100, that's historically bad. We actually do have an idea who be on the roster next year -- the whole team isn't leaving. Uncertainty is higher than usual, which isn't good. When you can't see a path to getting better, that's not good (organization leaders will tell you this).

The band director wouldn't be to blame, they aren't responsible per the org chart.

It's a message board dude. Nothing said here matters. It's all entertainment. When this season collapsed, it's interesting to see what IU fans think.

You can get as mad as you want, but this is not complicated.

Last edited:
Yep. Luck matters. Timing. Lots of things. But until we have an opening, I don't care what Dusty May is doing. Tell me how we beat Northwestern.
I'm not sure anyone here is qualified to discuss how to beat Northwestern. They need first hand knowledge of both teams, in addition to coaching experience.

I don't think you can say that Dolson has been forced in the coach decisions.
He moved on Archie when most thought he wouldn't.
The same can be said about Allen.
Now the competence part in regards to the Woodson hire can be questioned but I think it is hard to do without knowing all the possible back room antics that might have happened.
I didn’t say Dolson specifically was forced into certain specific decisions—that comment was directed more generally towards multiple ADs and multiple Administrations.

Kicking the can down the road has been standard operating procedure for IU athletics for about as long as I can remember. And fwiw if McRobbie were still President and some donors hadn’t shown an unprecedented interest in the football program (unlike previous donors) I think Tom Allen would probably still be IU’s head football coach.

In this specific instance it appears to me that, in order for a change to be made THIS off-season, something would have to happen to “force” Dolson to do it and for the Administration to give him its blessing. I don’t know what might qualify for an example—maybe losing out and missing the NIT?

Otherwise, I expect Dolson and the Administration to hunker down, Woodson to return, and next season to largely resemble this season.

That’s the thing about wanting to fire somebody. The firing part is easy. The hiring part is what is tricky.
Yep. Unless there is a damn good replacement lined up, you don’t fire him. Can’t **** around

It seems IU only swung for the fences once...with Brad Stevens...and settled for well....we know. Its a shame the Billy Donovan fantasy was just that. Its puzzling how the same hiring mistake keeps repeating itself. By now...an accidentally successful hire would seem likely....no?
What? Who would want Brad Stevens or Donovan when we were incredibly fortunate to get Buckner‘s golf buddy and the best human being he knows. The darn stars were aligned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT