ADVERTISEMENT

Grooming Behavior

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
One of my biggest complaints with the rise of the use of the term “grooming” is that it undermines what grooming actually is. I’ve done some very small amount of work in sex crimes prosecution and grooming has a very specific definition in that world. I think the more apt term anti-drag queen story hour folks would be “desensitizing.” Which I think is probably more accurate anyway absent any allegations of drag queens actually abusing kids.

I bring this up today because of allegations out of Texas of a state legislator getting an under 21 intern drunk and, at another time, showing her something to apparently test her willingness to report him to authorities. He later is accused of having sex with her. THAT is textbook grooming. And, for the record, he’s NOT in the LGBTQ community.

One of my biggest complaints with the rise of the use of the term “grooming” is that it undermines what grooming actually is. I’ve done some very small amount of work in sex crimes prosecution and grooming has a very specific definition in that world. I think the more apt term anti-drag queen story hour folks would be “desensitizing.” Which I think is probably more accurate anyway absent any allegations of drag queens actually abusing kids.

I bring this up today because of allegations out of Texas of a state legislator getting an under 21 intern drunk and, at another time, showing her something to apparently test her willingness to report him to authorities. He later is accused of having sex with her. THAT is textbook grooming. And, for the record, he’s NOT in the LGBTQ community.

language manipulation is a significant component advocacy and persuasion. We see it more and more because it seems as though everyone must be an advocate for something. This gives rise to the whole “silence is violence” phenomenon.

Part of persuasion is to select words which prompt the emotional response you want. But the words must fit their purpose. (Trial lawyers say “collision” instead of “accident”). ”Grooming” as you note, in this context has a specific offensive meaning. Those who expand the meaning want to carry that offensive feeling to other activity.

I agree the word grooming is the wrong one. It implies the drag person wants to have sex with the children.

The better word is "normalizing" or "destigmatizing." The entire point of having men in drag (it's never women, is it?) come read to children is to show that they are not scary, perverted weirdos as some in society would judge them, and are, instead, just like the rest of us. If children see them reading nice, sweet stories to them, then the children will grow up to think of them as just as normal as a gay person or a man wearing a flannel shirt and jeans or whatever stereotype you want to apply.

Here's a short movie (10 min) showing some of these drag story hours.

Note, these people aren't overly sexualized in their dress and aren't doing anything overtly sexual at the readings.

In instances, though, where the drag performers are sexualizing themselves through clothing or dancing or whatever, I think people have a genuine concern about children attending.

Note, these people aren't overly sexualized in their dress and aren't doing anything overtly sexual at the readings.

In instances, though, where the drag performers are sexualizing themselves through clothing or dancing or whatever, I think people have a genuine concern about children attending.

Seems to me that we are coming to the point of seeing gender as independent of biology, anatomy, chromosomes, and genes. So, why should we ever attach legal significance to a claim of gender? Seems like gender is becoming as irrelevant as a tattoo or chartreuse hair.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Seems the beneficiaries of these drag queen story hours are the drag queens who feel better about themselves.

I agree the word grooming is the wrong one. It implies the drag person wants to have sex with the children.

The better word is "normalizing" or "destigmatizing." The entire point of having men in drag (it's never women, is it?) come read to children is to show that they are not scary, perverted weirdos as some in society would judge them, and are, instead, just like the rest of us. If children see them reading nice, sweet stories to them, then the children will grow up to think of them as just as normal as a gay person or a man wearing a flannel shirt and jeans or whatever stereotype you want to apply.
I just don't get the point . It seems to me it's more about getting to go out in drag for them. They could read to kids in normal clothes. To your point it's never women is it? Is there really drag for women?

If you had a woman come in to read about gardening wearing overalls appropriate to the subject is that drag? Women have always worn clothes that really have no practical point. Using sports and newscasters, men general wear a jacket , pants and or not a tie but pretty general. Women doing same job wear high heels tight/short dresses for one reason. To get looked at. Men wear clothes to best get a job done. Not saying jacket and tie are needed but pants , a shirt and shoes you can walk in are kind of part of whatever job.

Seems the beneficiaries of these drag queen story hours are the drag queens who feel better about themselves.
Or maybe, like most people who take time out of their schedule to read to children, they feel like they are doing something good. So yes, I guess your point is true. Most people feel better about themselves when they help others.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Seems to me that we are coming to the point of seeing gender as independent of biology, anatomy, chromosomes, and genes. So, why should we ever attach legal significance to a claim of gender? Seems like gender is becoming as irrelevant as a tattoo or chartreuse hair.
I think that is their goal.

So what? It’s still adults imposing this nonsense on kids. Why?
The only thing being imposed on the kids is being read to. Unless there’s a dress up portion of the readings that isn’t being advertised.

Then explain to me what’s being imposed on them
You saying that the only thing going on is reading. I am saying there are obvious context clues. How about Jesus story hour where everyone arrives with a religious shirt like "Jesus Saves" or dressed like a priest or nun? Nonverbal communication exists.

Having a bunch of men show up in dresses and make up is conveying a message. "This is normal little 4 year olds." No, it isn't. We have to get little kids and brainwash them into thinking this is normal because adults know it isn't. All of you people defending this now thought it was weird shit 5 years ago but now it is the next cool thing. The UN just released a statement on minors and sex. You will be on that train in another 5 to 10 as well.

You saying that the only thing going on is reading. I am saying there are obvious context clues. How about Jesus story hour where everyone arrives with a religious shirt like "Jesus Saves" or dressed like a priest or nun? Nonverbal communication exists.

Having a bunch of men show up in dresses and make up is conveying a message. "This is normal little 4 year olds." No, it isn't. We have to get little kids and brainwash them into thinking this is normal because adults know it isn't. All of you people defending this now thought it was weird shit 5 years ago but now it is the next cool thing. The UN just released a statement on minors and sex. You will be on that train in another 5 to 10 as well.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

1) Priest story hour isn’t proselytizing. “Jesus saves” story hour is. Because it’s pushing an actual message. Forgetting for a moment that pastors and priests have a bad rep for abusing kids, not that it stops people from taking their kids to Sunday School.

2) just because something makes you uncomfortable (I.e., men in drag) doesn’t mean it naturally makes people uncomfortable. The fact that the kids don’t run out screaming shows that discomfort is in part at least a learned behavior. More kids throw fits meeting Santa Claus where they’re actually being forced by their parents to sit on the lap of a stranger #forthegram

3) thanks for speaking for all of us 5 years ago. You clearly have your finger on the pulse of progressive culture.

Priest story hour isn’t proselytizing. “Jesus saves” story hour is. Because it’s pushing an actual message. Forgetting for a moment that pastors and priests have a bad rep for abusing kids, not that it stops people from taking their kids to Sunday School.
So you would be okay with "Jesus Saves" if everyone showed up in shirts with a picture of Jesus hung on the cross (or other obviously Christian symbols) but no words?

3) thanks for speaking for all of us 5 years ago. You clearly have your finger on the pulse of progressive cuculture.
I do, you are all willing to accept any ****ed up thing put in front of you because you think it makes you open minded.

I guarantee that you will be one of the people pushing for minor's sexual autonomy when the other dip shits that run you all around by your nose tell you to. You have accepted every other piece of degeneracy they have sold you.

Wake the **** up.

So you would be okay with "Jesus Saves" if everyone showed up in shirts with a picture of Jesus hung on the cross (or other obviously Christian symbols) but no words?
Yes.

Edit: you really don’t think people haven’t read or taught kids in the library or public school context forever with religious iconography on? I’m pretty sure there’s solid Supreme Court precedent about that anyway. In fact, clergy story hour should be pushed by all religious groups because it might make kids see religious folks as nice people reading to them and not pushing an agenda. Personally, I don’t expect there’d be a huge upswell of it because they’d be less likely to read a secular text of any kind. And there’d be major pushback by those who wouldn’t want their kid to be read to by someone of a different religious view even if it didn’t include any advancement of a message whatsoever.

Last edited:
I do, you are all willing to accept any ****ed up thing put in front of you because you think it makes you open minded.

I guarantee that you will be one of the people pushing for minor's sexual autonomy when the other dip shits that run you all around by your nose tell you to. You have accepted every other piece of degeneracy they have sold you.

Wake the **** up.
Nah, bro. Being open minded makes me open minded.

The only thing being imposed on the kids is being read to. Unless there’s a dress up portion of the readings that isn’t being advertised.
Oh for Pete’s sake. That dude dressed and made up as a woman is there to give a message to the kids, and it ain’t reading. Leave the trans advocacy to the adults. Kids don’t know Jack about that stuff; nor should they.

Oh for Pete’s sake. That dude dressed and made up as a woman is there to give a message to the kids, and it ain’t reading. Leave the trans advocacy to the adults. Kids don’t know Jack about that stuff; nor should they.
Again. What’s the message?

Again. What’s the message?
Are you kidding? Do you even know what a role model is and how important they are to a young mind full of mush?

I’m old enough to remember when all the libs kicked cops out of school post George Floyd partly because they didn’t want any cop to be a responsible and positive role model for a kid.

I think your definition of "help" is different from most people. In my opinion, when you do something to help someone the recipient should be receiving the help and not the giver (which, like Aloha says, is the case here)
Why in heck am I always attracted to the crazy ones? arggggh.

I think your definition of "help" is different from most people. In my opinion, when you do something to help someone the recipient should be receiving the help and not the giver (which, like Aloha says, is the case here)
Well I think both you and Aloha are wrong. Research says reading to kids is one of the best ways to help with literacy.

• Haha

That’s so stupid. And you were the same people 20 years ago wanting to put gay people in jail. Something about this really seems to threaten men and their idea of masculinity. Not sure what it is but it sure seems to trigger you. For such a big let the parents run the school advocate, why can’t you let the parents decide if they want their kids to attend a drag show? Everyone doesn’t have to follow your idea of morality.

• Haha
Are you kidding? Do you even know what a role model is and how important they are to a young mind full of mush?

I’m old enough to remember when all the libs kicked cops out of school post George Floyd partly because they didn’t want any cop to be a responsible and positive role model for a kid.
Hmm I missed that one too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT