ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Marshall

Indiana is a much better basketball state, and Kansas has two less National Championships. So, yep. I understand Kansas is big brother, but they aren't as big as IU.

WOW. Nothing to do with big brother. I am the farthest thing from a KU fan. But I give them their due. They are a top 5 program.

Sorry, I was looking for intelligent conversation. And just FYI I am in Indianapolis to watch my team play a tournament game.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a poster on here not pulling for Wichita St. against UK. I also don't think you want to compare programs, especially Tourney success.

Sorry, I was looking for intelligent conversation. And just FYI I am in Indianapolis to watch my team play a tournament game.

Tell me. How does one end up a shockers fan? You pretty much have to have actually attend that farm school. I can't imagine someone becomes a fan by choice. Especially with better options in their own state.

What? He's basically Crean with less personality and a worse recruiter.
Obviously by your post you have no clue bout college basketball. He is one of the top 5-7 coaches in all of college basketball. If you looked at their team last night there is not a big ten team that is any better than they are. He took Winthrop to 7 tournaments in 9 years and now have taken WSU to 6 straight tournaments

Reactions: Tegray1
I'm worried he will bring in someone that wont go hard after OAD..Fred talked about academics and graduating ..Need OAD to compete with the big boys
No you don't maybe one here or there but there are a lot of teams that compete with out them. I don't want a coach who will come in here and just try to recruit one and done players.

1st choice is Alford..He would lock up the state in recruiting and that will get you a top 20 team alone or better..2nd choice is Marshall..He might be the better coach, but Alford is tops imo
I guess by your name you are from Spiceland Indiana which is near New Castle. Why on earth would Alford be your first choice. if he was not from New Castle or play at IU n one would consider him a good hire.

I guess by your name you are from Spiceland Indiana which is near New Castle. Why on earth would Alford be your first choice. if he was not from New Castle or play at IU n one would consider him a good hire.

Great as in what? Size? If that's the case UK has the greatest fan base.

What do you consider a really big job? I would say IU is not one. I said it would be a step up, but to think IU belongs in the group of elite jobs is living in the past. In my view the title of elite jobs is reserved for places like Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK. I would then say there is a 2nd tier of teams like Arizona, Villanova, Louisville, Syracuse. Then IU would fall into the 3rd tier. A top 20 job probably but not top 10.
You do realize that we have more championships than most of those teams on that list. To go with great facilities and one of the top recruiting budgets in the country.

WOW. Nothing to do with big brother. I am the farthest thing from a KU fan. But I give them their due. They are a top 5 program.
The only thing that makes KU a better job is the right coach. Was KU a great job before Brown/Williams? Yes it was but they hadn't been consistently good in years. They had a 20yr stretch that makes us look like world beaters

I didn't realize there was a post limit. So I will address all in one post. I grew up 30 miles from Wichita St campus, went to school there and still live close by. I didn't come here to flame. I wanted to see what was being said about Marshall. I obviously hope he doesn't go to IU or anywhere else. Love what he is doing at WSU and I want it to continue. I am bored in an Indianapolis hotel so I came here looking to pass time.

And I have stated that IU is an obvious step up from WSU for a coach. No doubt about that. I do realize full well the history of IU. But I think history is the key word. Can IU get back to being a top 10 job? Certainly, but I think they have dropped out of that conversation for now.

Hope everyone is supporting WSU tomorrow. Look forward to seeing how we stack up against one of the giants of college basketball. Don't want to jinx but I do have a good feeling about it.

I didn't realize there was a post limit. So I will address all in one post. I grew up 30 miles from Wichita St campus, went to school there and still live close by. I didn't come here to flame. I wanted to see what was being said about Marshall. I obviously hope he doesn't go to IU or anywhere else. Love what he is doing at WSU and I want it to continue. I am bored in an Indianapolis hotel so I came here looking to pass time.

And I have stated that IU is an obvious step up from WSU for a coach. No doubt about that. I do realize full well the history of IU. But I think history is the key word. Can IU get back to being a top 10 job? Certainly, but I think they have dropped out of that conversation for now.

Hope everyone is supporting WSU tomorrow. Look forward to seeing how we stack up against one of the giants of college basketball. Don't want to jinx but I do have a good feeling about it.
It depends on how you define top ten. Texas isn't a top ten football program but it's one of the 2-3 best jobs in the country. Gonzaga is a top ten program but it's not a top 20 job.

IU isn't a top ten program but it is a top ten job because, like with Texas fball, it's one of the very few jobs that offers everything you need to be elite.

Money, prestige, recruiting base, facilities, conference....those are the things that a coach wants and IU can offer each of those. KU has everything but the recruiting base, which is why they have always had to walk the line on being dirty.....and tgat recruiting base is why IU is the better job even though it's not currently the Better program

KU has everything but the recruiting base, which is why they have always had to walk the line on being dirty.....and tgat recruiting base is why IU is the better job even though it's not currently the Better program

KU doesn't have any more dirt on them than IU.

They're obviously a more prestigious program than IU. But I think there may be an argument that IU is a better job. I probably wouldn't agree with it, but I wouldn't belittle it either.

If you looked at their team last night there is not a big ten team that is any better than they are.
Sounds like an indictment of the Big 10 if you ask me. The devils advocate in me would say that Wisconsin, Purdue, and MSU looked better.

Last edited:
Yes as you know Spiceland is a few min from New Castle..I think Alford would lock up the state in recruiting and that's the lifeblood of a top program.and he knows a thing or two about coaching basketball.

In response to some earlier comments;

The city of Wichita is the 72nd largest csa in the us with a population of 630,000

Not hard to see how they could have a decent amount of fans

Marshall reminds me of Crean. Marshall might be a good coach, but I can't get passed that.

Go hard after Donovan while the NCAA is going on. Then start interviewing coaches as they are eliminated. Make the announcement the day of the championship game.
Interesting take on Marshall in the last Assembly Call podcast - there is something that always puts people off....

If the choice is between Donavan or Marshall, I would choose Marshall. Donavan put himself on the map as a Gator and his return to college would appear as a strikeout in the NBA. I would question his motives and dedication to the university. Thinking about the upside of Marshall is far more exciting. He has had tremedous success at two levels, but there is no question he wants more. His motives would be very clear, and consistent with the fan base. Hang the sixth banner.

Reactions: Thomtar
Yes as you know Spiceland is a few min from New Castle..I think Alford would lock up the state in recruiting and that's the lifeblood of a top program.and he knows a thing or two about coaching basketball.
He's a mediocre coach. No thanks.

If the choice is between Donavan or Marshall, I would choose Marshall. Donavan put himself on the map as a Gator and his return to college would appear as a strikeout in the NBA. I would question his motives and dedication to the university. Thinking about the upside of Marshall is far more exciting. He has had tremedous success at two levels, but there is no question he wants more. His motives would be very clear, and consistent with the fan base. Hang the sixth banner.
He was at Florida for 19 years. He's had 4 jobs in 28 years.

But yes, let's pass on a two time national champ because we just can't trust his commitment.

Good gracious.

Reactions: crimsonlaw
It depends on how you define top ten. Texas isn't a top ten football program but it's one of the 2-3 best jobs in the country. Gonzaga is a top ten program but it's not a top 20 job.

IU isn't a top ten program but it is a top ten job because, like with Texas fball, it's one of the very few jobs that offers everything you need to be elite.

Money, prestige, recruiting base, facilities, conference....those are the things that a coach wants and IU can offer each of those. KU has everything but the recruiting base, which is why they have always had to walk the line on being dirty.....and tgat recruiting base is why IU is the better job even though it's not currently the Better program

This is where you keep thinking in the past century. People don't have to work for IBM, GM, or old school companies any more. Same with Gonzaga, or others. If you are into the outdoors, Gonzaga is a top 20 job, despite your protestations it isn't. You can win a national title there and not have to deal with some of the other detriments that the traditionally top jobs bring with it. Ultimately it is up to that particular person that determines if it is a top job or not, not preconceived notions based on past performance.

Is NC State a top job? By the arguments some of you are making, it should be. ACC, has two national titles, three final fours. But is it a top job? Is Illinois? I say no to both. But ultimately a personal decision.

Recruiting bases, stop thinking old school. Every game is on television. Kids have no problem going away to school, this isn't the 1970's or 80's anymore. Do you think Spokane or the state of Washington has a huge recruiting base? Does Idaho for Boise State football? All it takes is a few really good players for basketball, and schools can get from anywhere. When was the last time the Big Ten won the NCAA basketball title? Yet little Villanova won it last year. Little Butler played for it twice in the last decade. Little Marquette made the Final Four. Little George Mason. Little VCU.

Stop pretending it is the 1980's.

A return to college seen as a strikeout in the NBA? Talk to Calipari and UK fans and see if they care about any of that.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
This is where you keep thinking in the past century. People don't have to work for IBM, GM, or old school companies any more. Same with Gonzaga, or others. If you are into the outdoors, Gonzaga is a top 20 job, despite your protestations it isn't. You can win a national title there and not have to deal with some of the other detriments that the traditionally top jobs bring with it. Ultimately it is up to that particular person that determines if it is a top job or not, not preconceived notions based on past performance.

Is NC State a top job? By the arguments some of you are making, it should be. ACC, has two national titles, three final fours. But is it a top job? Is Illinois? I say no to both. But ultimately a personal decision.

Recruiting bases, stop thinking old school. Every game is on television. Kids have no problem going away to school, this isn't the 1970's or 80's anymore. Do you think Spokane or the state of Washington has a huge recruiting base? Does Idaho for Boise State football? All it takes is a few really good players for basketball, and schools can get from anywhere. When was the last time the Big Ten won the NCAA basketball title? Yet little Villanova won it last year. Little Butler played for it twice in the last decade. Little Marquette made the Final Four. Little George Mason. Little VCU.

Dumb

It didn't hurt Calipari nor Pitino that they "struck out" in the NBA.

What do you consider a really big job? I would say IU is not one. I said it would be a step up, but to think IU belongs in the group of elite jobs is living in the past. In my view the title of elite jobs is reserved for places like Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK. I would then say there is a 2nd tier of teams like Arizona, Villanova, Louisville, Syracuse. Then IU would fall into the 3rd tier. A top 20 job probably but not top 10.

You would be hard pressed to find any IU fan who doesn't want WSU to win today. Now that's more about wanting to see Ky lose, but still. Shockers Fan, please don't spoil it and make watch the game with conflicted feelings.

I do think some live in the past a little, but i think they are considering the resources present at Indiana, combined with the past success. Kinda like a turn key operation if the right hire is made.

Crean was in the top 10 of pay for college coaches. You factor in that the pay is top 10, the talent coming from in state year to year, the new facilities on campus, the huge fanbase, a tough conference and the history tied to IUBB, it really isnt that big of a stretch to still say it is a top 10 job.

I do think some live in the past a little, but i think they are considering the resources present at Indiana, combined with the past success. Kinda like a turn key operation if the right hire is made.

Crean was in the top 10 of pay for college coaches. You factor in that the pay is top 10, the talent coming from in state year to year, the new facilities on campus, the huge fanbase, a tough conference and the history tied to IUBB, it really isnt that big of a stretch to still say it is a top 10 job.

I think that's a fair assessment.

He was at Florida for 19 years. He's had 4 jobs in 28 years.

But yes, let's pass on a two time national champ because we just can't trust his commitment.

Good gracious.

It didn't hurt Calipari nor Pitino that they "struck out" in the NBA.

And never mind that he's going to the playoffs two years in a row. Fair or not, Donovan has succeeded thus far. He'd be leaving by his choice. Big difference over others. We'd be very lucky to get Donovan.

I don't really understand your points. You say it was a mistake to fire Crean because IU is not elite anymore. To defend your point, you bring up other schools who have great coaches and have succeeded. If Villanova, Gonzaga, Witchita State, St Mary's, and several other programs expect greatness with the right coaches, why can't IU expect greatness? You are correct that it isn't 1980 anymore but why does that mean Indiana has to accept mediocrity? UK had mediocrity with Tubby and Gillespie but had a chance to grab Cal and did it. Was that wrong at the time? UNC was becoming mediocre and grabbed Roy from another blue blood. Was that a wrong move at the time? I don't understand your point. It's always been about great coaches , either through X's and O's or recruiting. Crean is not elite level at either one.

He is obsessed with Ky yet here you are on an IU board. I'd say you are the obsessed one.
I'm on an Indiana board talking about Indiana. Obsessed would be if I was an OSU fan on an Indiana board calling out a random poster for pointing out an IU fan's obsession with UK. You're 3 times removed an still can't avoid your UK obsession. Do you think OSU will will today?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT