ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry Purdue but it's over

I honestly think it’s their year. They learned their lessons in previous seasons, now they know what it takes.
I can't see them beating UCONN..I guess a F.F. is reality...
But as long as Refs allow Edey to bump every defender back a foot for separation .....Who knows ?
He is the major X factor...

Reactions: kkott
But as long as Refs allow Edey to bump every defender back a foot for separation .....Who knows ?
Yea. Its just one game and Purdue can definitely beat them.

I honestly think it’s their year. They learned their lessons in previous seasons, now they know what it takes.
I don't think they can beat Gonzaga, then Creighton or Tennessee, then Houston or Duke, then UConn or Arizona...

I think they need help with other upsets to actually win it all. A path of Gonzaga, Tennessee, Houston, UConn...I'd put their chances at slightly above zero to beat all those teams.

But I think breaking through to the Final Four could definitely happen.

I don't think they can beat Gonzaga, then Creighton or Tennessee, then Houston or Duke, then UConn or Arizona...

I think they need help with other upsets to actually win it all. A path of Gonzaga, Tennessee, Houston, UConn...I'd put their chances at slightly above zero to beat all those teams.

Maybe. Upsets helped Tony Bennett finally win it at UVA. 16, 9, 12, 3, 5, 3 seeds for their natty.

But it's not only the lessons learned, it's trying to avenge the humiliation. I'm concerned -- they look like they can do it.

Gonzaga has 3 "bigs" at 6'9" - 6'10" and 230-240lbs. A lot of times they will play Ike and Gregg together and Gregg will step out to shoot threes.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGunner
Maybe. Upsets helped Tony Bennett finally win it at UVA. 16, 9, 12, 3, 5, 3 seeds for their natty.

But it's not only the lessons learned, it's trying to avenge the humiliation. I'm concerned -- they look like they can do it.
We'll see. It was pretty obvious early in the Utah State game that they weren't going to be competitive. If they thump Gonzaga I might come more around to it. But I still think they'll need help on their path to do it.

A Purdue/Houston FF matchup might result in some exploding heads on here.

Reactions: Carib04 and .Gerdis
They shoot it well also. 11-22 from 3 yesterday. If they don’t shoot well from 3 they can be beat

Gonzaga's big pushed Dickinson around. If he can avoid foul trouble, it will be pretty interesting. Gotta keep Edey a step or 2 farther than he wants to be when he catches it.

I don't think you're going out on a limb here, I think this could be the one year where the bracket breaks to the top seeds. I'm here for it. If it works in Purdue's favor they would have eliminated another talking point ("got an easy path").

But so you're fully informed, Purdue has 6 opponents in the S16 and is a combined 7-0 against them.

2 wins over Illini
1 win over Gonzaga (N - Maui)
1 win over Tennesee (N - Maui
1 win over Marquette (N - Maui)
1 win over Alabama (N - Toronto)
1 win over Arizona (N - Indy Classic)

That guarantees nothing, but I can tell you no other team remaining has anywhere near that type of record against the field.

Gonzaga's big pushed Dickinson around. If he can avoid foul trouble, it will be pretty interesting. Gotta keep Edey a step or 2 farther than he wants to be when he catches it.
Dickinson is coming back off of a separated shoulder (you could see the sling around his upper torso). After playing a hard game on Thursday, I suspect that Dickinson wasn't in peak condition.

Looking at the first Gonzaga / Purdue game, Purdue won by 10 and Edey got his typical 23/14. The interesting stat is that both teams were pretty bad from 3 (Gonzaga 6-32, Purdue 4-17). Both teams have improved throughout the season. I suspect that whomever solves their 3-pt shooting woes more will be the victor.

I get that it's March, but they look impressive and they have beaten nearly half of the remaining tourney field. It just seems different...I think I just threw up a little.

Still missing key components like us. As soon as an opponent with athletic fast harassing guards face them they will struggle

Reactions: iubud
Still missing key components like us. As soon as an opponent with athletic fast harassing guards face them they will struggle
But who is that team if not one they’ve already beaten?? NC, Houston, UConn? They would play two of them at most. They’ve already played and beaten Marquette and Tenn, two teams that win by turning you over. Previous wins mean nothing in this tournament but the have shown they can win those matchups.

Gonzaga has 3 "bigs" at 6'9" - 6'10" and 230-240lbs. A lot of times they will play Ike and Gregg together and Gregg will step out to shoot threes.
Which team, other than Purdue, defeated the likes of Gonzaga, Tennessee and Marquette on three consecutive days in the last five months? Zags play 7 guys lots of minutes. Matt has Gillis, Heide, Furst, Morton and Colvin playing and giving quality minutes. There were many people who thought Utah State or TCU would beat Purdue. That was the biggest NCAAT winning margin this century!

I don't think you're going out on a limb here, I think this could be the one year where the bracket breaks to the top seeds. I'm here for it. If it works in Purdue's favor they would have eliminated another talking point ("got an easy path").

But so you're fully informed, Purdue has 6 opponents in the S16 and is a combined 7-0 against them.

2 wins over Illini
1 win over Gonzaga (N - Maui)
1 win over Tennesee (N - Maui
1 win over Marquette (N - Maui)
1 win over Alabama (N - Toronto)
1 win over Arizona (N - Indy Classic)

That guarantees nothing, but I can tell you no other team remaining has anywhere near that type of record against the field.
UCONN I think is 6-2 so not bad and they again seem to be rounding into form late, but I think PU and UCONN were the best looking teams I've seen so far.

Oh yeah, and here you guys are again. I know, not seeking validation, but just here to "talk hoops". Right...

UCONN I think is 6-2 so not bad and they again seem to be rounding into form late, but I think PU and UCONN were the best looking teams I've seen so far.

Oh yeah, and here you guys are again. I know, not seeking validation, but just here to "talk hoops". Right...

No, I come here because it and Peegs are the best forums to discuss basketball and especially Big Ten and Indiana high school basketball. I joined in 1999 when I retired and I have been a continuous member who gets banished on some mod’s whim because not because I have ever called names or been disrespectful, but just because I am me. I worked in the Big Ten and am the oldest living former Big Ten staff member. I had the good fortune to work for and with many of the legendary personalities who made this the greatest conference. Former athlete, coaches and administrators like Elroy Hirsch, Bump Elliott, Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight, Paul Giel, Bo Schembechler, Fred Taylor, Bill Orwig, Duffy Daugherty, Tippy Dye, Alex Agase, Fred Schaus, Bill Reed, Wayne Duke Tug Wilson and others. . Almost all of the AD’s , football and basketball coaches and faculty representatives I worked with are gone now. A few of the PR guys like Kit Klinglehoffer and Iowa’s Phil Haddy are still around. Few of the media personalities are still with us. Bob Hammel is a treasure. It will piss some of you off, but I’ll keep coming as long as my money holds out and my heart keeps beating.

UConn is solid, but I'm glad we wouldn't see them until we're playing for it all. But 7-0 still bests 6-2.

As for being here, honestly, I am here to talk hoops. I've run out of content to consume elsewhere.

I've been through the Purdue boards and all of the articles/content there (always my first stop). I watched the Sleepers recap and their pod/S16 breakdown, Field of 68, read Twitter threads, watched the Gary Parrish/CBS pod, and now I've been here.

I know it's been a while, but I'm sure many of you remember wanting to consume every piece of content out there when your team was good.

Furthermore, I just spent the weekend with six of my closest friends, five of whom are big Hoosier fans who were willing to stick it out with me in Indy. So, I actually do like to stay informed on what the IU faithful are saying as a whole, as it gives me more content to discuss with them as well.

I try not to get goated into back and forths and enjoy just talking ball. And, of course, it's more fun when Purdue is doing well, just as I'm sure it will be more fun for most of you if/when IU gets back on track.

Last edited:
Doesn't Tennessee have athletic, fast and harassing guards? I thought that they did. Purdue beat Tennessee in the same tournament where they beat Gonzaga. I believe the same can be said of Alabama and Purdue beat them as well. Each victory was on a neutral court.

Doesn't Tennessee have athletic, fast and harassing guards? I thought that they did. Purdue beat Tennessee in the same tournament where they beat Gonzaga. I believe the same can be said of Alabama and Purdue beat them as well. Each victory was on a neutral court.

You're thinking of Arizona. There is no way Purdue's guards can hang with them.

Smith can't hang with Kolek and Marquette, either.

We're always outclassed and have no shot against teams with elite guards—we only have Edey. When he (Biggie/Edwards/Ivey/Edey) is gone, we'll go back to the basement of the B1G, where we belong. Wait til next year, you'll see.

You're thinking of Arizona. There is no way Purdue's guards can hang with them.

Smith can't hang with Kolek and Marquette, either.

We're always outclassed and have no shot against teams with elite guards—we only have Edey. When he (Biggie/Edwards/Ivey/Edey) is gone, we'll go back to the basement of the B1G, where we belong. Wait til next year, you'll see.
You seem bitter

Which team, other than Purdue, defeated the likes of Gonzaga, Tennessee and Marquette on three consecutive days in the last five months? Zags play 7 guys lots of minutes. Matt has Gillis, Heide, Furst, Morton and Colvin playing and giving quality minutes. There were many people who thought Utah State or TCU would beat Purdue. That was the biggest NCAAT winning margin this century!
You won December again, for sure.

Poor game plan

who gets banished on some mod’s whim because not because I have ever called names or been disrespectful, but just because I am me.
Hahahahaha. You guys get far more rope here than any IU fan ever did on G&B. I posted there and was banned for what I don't even know, but it wasn't trolling, and after the 2nd time I never visited again. You know what they say about those who live in glass houses!

When I start seeing a predominance of posts about all that other crap and not defending PU or trolling IU, I'd say welcome. But after all your and your ilks bleating about "talking hoops" all it usually amounts to is propping up PU, which you should do... on your own board.

im-good-enough-im-smart-enough.png

You seem bitter

Bitter about what?

Yes, it's been a terrible stretch for me as a fan for the last ten years. Averaging over 25 wins a year is boring, especially with 35 straight non-con wins, 3 straight MTE titles, 4 B1G regular-season championships, 1 BTT championship, five S16, and 1 E8.

It's been a slog of bad basketball, and I'm not sure how I've made it through this long without apathy setting in.

Bitter about what?

Yes, it's been a terrible stretch for me as a fan for the last ten years. Averaging over 25 wins a year is boring, especially with 35 straight non-con wins, 3 straight MTE titles, 4 B1G regular-season championships, 1 BTT championship, five S16, and 1 E8.

It's been a slog of bad basketball, and I'm not sure how I've made it through this long without apathy setting in.
And yet here you and your not yet banned mates are trolling and sobbing for validation on the IU board even as your own team steamrolls

Bitter 101

But please… don’t ever change It defines you. Rent free Bubba

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Hahahahaha. You guys get far more rope here than any IU fan ever did on G&B. I posted there and was banned for what I don't even know, but it wasn't trolling, and after the 2nd time I never visited again. You know what they say about those who live in glass houses!

When I start seeing a predominance of posts about all that other crap and not defending PU or trolling IU, I'd say welcome. But after all your and your ilks bleating about "talking hoops" all it usually amounts to is propping up PU, which you should do... on your own board.

They can do it on their own board but what really matters to them is what we think.

I haven’t posted on a Purdue board for nine years. I finally went over there after their blowout win to lurk their take.

Amazing number of posts about IU still but the best entertainment, and I highly recommend it, is our old buddy Ordfan who was finally permabanned here is a stitch to watch melt down about us. Check out his current name there Kern County. Thank me later.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
They can do it on their own board but what really matters to them is what we think.

I haven’t posted on a Purdue board for nine years. I finally went over there after their blowout win to lurk their take.

Amazing number of posts about IU still but the best entertainment, and I highly recommend it, is our old buddy Ordfan who was finally permabanned here is a stitch to watch melt down about us. Check out his current name there Kern County. Thank me later.
Thanks, but no thanks.

I have no desire to visit the pu board.

The former admins on GBI banned people for all sorts of stupid reasons, including Purdue fans. I am on my third handle because of lifetime bans for pointing out deficiencies in former women's coaches. Never have gotten a ban from the IU site. One other thing about Des, while he is a Purdue fan, he is a DePauw grad and has an interesting take as an outsider looking in for the most part, especially with his career in sports administration.

Amazing number of posts about IU
I took a glance over there. I don't see any thread titles about IU on the front page.

I see at least 5 on this site about Purdue, pretty much all of them started by IU posters.

If you want to keep Purdue posters off this board, stop making threads about them.

Reactions: TheCainer
I took a glance over there. I don't see any thread titles about IU on the front page.

I see at least 5 on this site about Purdue, pretty much all of them started by IU posters.

If you want to keep Purdue posters off this board, stop making threads about them.
Or just do what they do...ban them the first time they show up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT