ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Marshall

I'm worried he will bring in someone that wont go hard after OAD..Fred talked about academics and graduating ..Need OAD to compete with the big boys

What? He's basically Crean with less personality and a worse recruiter.
Crean sure kicked Calipari's ass last year: what was the excuse, I can't remember it.

If Marshall can put forth a team as good as Calipari's at UK (see the tourney from a couple of years ago), it would be extremely interesting to see what Marshall could do at a place like IU.

1st choice is Alford..He would lock up the state in recruiting and that will get you a top 20 team alone or better..2nd choice is Marshall..He might be the better coach, but Alford is tops imo

Marshall could win as much at IU as he could at KY. IU offers all the resources he needs. He could walk in here and create a legacy. I'm sure he knows this is as cherry of an opportunity as there is, really. Question is, does he view it as a good cultural fit for him, is the timing right, and conversely, does IU view him as a good fit culturally.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Gregg Marshall has been the coach at Winthrop and Wichita State. Tell me, which of those two schools is he, or anyone, supposed to get top 50 players and McDonald's AAs? Tell me. I'm waiting.
Also, go and look at how Marshall dominates the conferences when he's there. I'll give you hint...there will be a lot of seasons with "1st" next to it.

Oh, and while you're at it, tell me how many McDonald's AAs Crean landed at Marquette. And tell me how Crean does in conference play. I'll give you hint...once in a while you'll see "1st" with a lot "5th", "6th", or "10th" in there. He sucked.
Greg Marshall is called first after Billy Donovan says no.....and then the full court press is applied....he's that good....and players and particularly recruits and their high school coaches know it.

Greg Marshall is called first after Billy Donovan says no.....and then the full court press is applied....he's that good....and players and particularly recruits and their high school coaches know it.
marshall's better. jmo

Mike Davis got three McDonald's AAs to commit to IU. Josh Smith didn't show up, but he still got three to commit. No prior head coaching experience.

Kelvin Sampson immediately landed Eric Gordon who had already committed to Illinois and then the following year got a LOI from Devin Ebanks. Now, while Ebanks was something like 10th or 11th overall in his class he was reportedly left out of the McDonald's game because he had been in high school five years or something like that.

Anyways...ANY FRIGGIN COACH WHO IS STANDING UPRIGHT AND BREATHING CAN GET TOP PLAYERS AT INDIANA.

I'm not yelling at you, Harpo. I'm yelling at the idiots who think Marshall or anyone else couldn't recruit here. It's ridiculous. History proves them wrong.

Last edited:
What? He's basically Crean with less personality and a worse recruiter.

I'm not sure that's fair. In his career (to date), Crean won 60 percent of his games while Marshall has won nearly 75 percent of his games. Crean won three conference championships in 18 seasons while Marshall has won 13 conference championships in 19 seasons. They both have one Final Four appearance and neither has made it to the championship game.

Mike Davis got three McDonald's AAs to commit to IU. Josh Smith didn't show up, but he still got three to commit. No prior head coaching experience.

Kelvin Sampson immediately landed Eric Gordon who had already committed to Illinois and then the following year got a LOI from Devin Ebanks. Now, while Ebanks was something like 10th or 11th overall in his class he was reportedly left out of the McDonald's game because he had been in high school five years or something like that.

Anyways...ANY FRIGGIN COACH WHO IS STANDING UPRIGHT AND BREATHING CAN GET TOP PLAYERS AT INDIANA.

I'm yelling at you, Harpo. I'm yelling at the idiots who think Marshall or anyone else couldn't recruit here. It's ridiculous. History proves them wrong.
while thats true......Crean recruited pretty well right out of the gate too.....until reality set in....We can't afford a guy coming in like gangbusters....only to get Creaned...because he alienated the recruiting network at IU...any more than currently exists.

I would really like to know...as Glass mentioned...what is the pulse of the high school coaches...and the recruiting network in Indiana and the midwest....really? They know.

At this point Indiana would be a lateral move for Marshall. Maybe he chases the money but he'd be better off waiting until a better school comes calling.

I know you're just here trying to annoy. Money and talent wise right now, it's a lateral move. Watch his rant to Jerry Palm a week ago. Palm believed their league was a 1 bid league and if the shockers didn't win the conference tournament, they would not get a bid. Now I don't believe that, they have a good team again this year but that had to be in the back of Marshall's mind. Wouldn't it be nice to know you can lose in your tournament and still get a 1 seed (north Carolina, Kansas)?

Reactions: csrupp
Crean sure kicked Calipari's ass last year: what was the excuse, I can't remember it.

If Marshall can put forth a team as good as Calipari's at UK (see the tourney from a couple of years ago), it would be extremely interesting to see what Marshall could do at a place like IU.
Not sure what Calipari has to do with it. You seem a little obsessed with UK. You may want to get that check out.

I'm not sure that's fair. In his career (to date), Crean won 60 percent of his games while Marshall has won nearly 75 percent of his games. Crean won three conference championships in 18 seasons while Marshall has won 13 conference championships in 19 seasons. They both have one Final Four appearance and neither has made it to the championship game.
Those are fair points but if you adjust for strength of conference it basically the same.

Alford would be the worst fate imaginable for this program. He'd make the tournament almost every year. Win the B1G once every 3 or 4 years. And probably take us to a few elite 8's, maybe even sneak in a final four run at some point.

But he'd never win a championship.

The guy is a loser, and if you support him as our coach you are an ignorant loser, which is worse.....

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Alford would be the worst fate imaginable for this program. He'd make the tournament almost every year. Win the B1G once every 3 or 4 years. And probably take us to a few elite 8's, maybe even sneak in a final four run at some point.

But he'd never win a championship.

The guy is a loser, and if you support him as our coach you are an ignorant loser, which is worse.....
If the likes of Vallvano, and Ollie can win a title SA is certainly capable....but I realize that at IU we must disrespect our former players

Reactions: .Gerdis
If the likes of Vallvano, and Ollie can win a title SA is certainly capable....but I realize that at IU we must disrespect our former players

Oh good. So we should hire Alford on the off-chance he wins a fluke championship like Ollie or Valvano.

Seems like a good blue print for the future.

Oh good. So we should hire Alford on the off-chance he wins a fluke championship like Ollie or Valvano.

Seems like a good blue print for the future.
And where exactly did I say we should hire SA? You posted an opinion as if it was a fact...I simply pointed out your error.

But since you asked so politely

SA isn't my top choice but I would choose home over any of the up and comer choices like Archie, Holtman or Mack...but not before Brad, Billy, Marshall or Bennett

Reactions: Paterfamilias
I know you're just here trying to annoy. Money and talent wise right now, it's a lateral move. Watch his rant to Jerry Palm a week ago. Palm believed their league was a 1 bid league and if the shockers didn't win the conference tournament, they would not get a bid. Now I don't believe that, they have a good team again this year but that had to be in the back of Marshall's mind. Wouldn't it be nice to know you can lose in your tournament and still get a 1 seed (north Carolina, Kansas)?
I watched the Jerry Palm video, too. And if that's a bad Marshall rant, we've got nothing to worry about from his temper! Was Marshall perturbed? Clearly. Does Marshall respect Palm? Clearly not. But, I thought Marshall stayed under control and tried to apply reasoning to his arguments. I never heard him raise his voice or curse.
I spent 20 years in the newspaper biz and if a reader came after me like that, I'd sit back in my chair, sarcastically say, "Well, good for him," and then get back to work.
Maybe we watched different "rants?"

while thats true......Crean recruited pretty well right out of the gate too.....until reality set in....We can't afford a guy coming in like gangbusters....only to get Creaned...because he alienated the recruiting network at IU...any more than currently exists.

I would really like to know...as Glass mentioned...what is the pulse of the high school coaches...and the recruiting network in Indiana and the midwest....really? They know.

I had to edit that post. I meant to say I was not yelling at you.

If we get Marshall, he needs different glasses/haircut so he looks less like Crean

Wichita State alum and fan here. Just came to see how much talk there was about Greg Marshall on here. Seems to be on a lot of peoples wish list. For the sake of us Shocker fans I hope he stays. I really think he is waiting for a shot at one of the really big jobs. IU is a definite step up but I think he wants more. I really expect he stays until Calipari leaves UK and thats when he leaves.

And I quoted this post because it is wrong on so many accounts. WSU lost in the FF to Louisville in 2013. The undefeated season was the next year. Lost in rd 2 to a UK team who was an 8 seed and should have been about a 4. And since the committe loved that so much they set it up again this year.

Yeah, because IU is not a "really big job"... Lol.

Yeah, because IU is not a "really big job"... Lol.

What do you consider a really big job? I would say IU is not one. I said it would be a step up, but to think IU belongs in the group of elite jobs is living in the past. In my view the title of elite jobs is reserved for places like Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK. I would then say there is a 2nd tier of teams like Arizona, Villanova, Louisville, Syracuse. Then IU would fall into the 3rd tier. A top 20 job probably but not top 10.

What do you consider a really big job? I would say IU is not one. I said it would be a step up, but to think IU belongs in the group of elite jobs is living in the past. In my view the title of elite jobs is reserved for places like Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK. I would then say there is a 2nd tier of teams like Arizona, Villanova, Louisville, Syracuse. Then IU would fall into the 3rd tier. A top 20 job probably but not top 10.

OK. LOL.

Thanks for stopping by.....

Pull up Shockerboi.

IU is tied in National Championships with Duke and UNC and has two more than Kansas and Louisville. The only schools that have more are UCLA and UK. IU has the last undefeated season, and Indiana is the school in the state known for basketball.

IU is tied in National Championships with Duke and UNC and has two more than Kansas and Louisville. The only schools that have more are UCLA and UK. IU has the last undefeated season, and Indiana is the school in the state known for basketball.
the right coach is the only missing piece at IU....and the rest of the basketball world that matters knows it.

You seriously think IU is a better job than Kansas? That's funny stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT