ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Marshall

Brad Stevens already said "I'm flattered at the interest, but I am not leaving the Boston Celtics" per the Dan Patrick show, in case you were hoping for a miracle.

Donovan, Miller, Miller, Marshall, Bennett, Drew, (big gap) then Alford is my list

Reactions: RRgo
Marshall reminds me of Crean. Marshall might be a good coach, but I can't get passed that.

Go hard after Donovan while the NCAA is going on. Then start interviewing coaches as they are eliminated. Make the announcement the day of the championship game.

Oh good luck finding a elite coach who you can control. Amateur hour!

Exactly. No big name successful coach can be "controlled." A good AD successfully "manages" such a coach's actions. How easy do you think it is to be the AD for Urban Meyer or Nick Saban? Come on? If Fred Glass would make the ability to control the coach a selection criterion, then he'd be a fool.

Marshall would be an ideal choice.

Put me in the list of those on this board who are skeptical about Glass. I'll believe that he makes a "home run" hire when I see it. Look at the last coaches hired. In baseball and football. Hell, the football coach had last been a head coach at Ben Davis High School.

Let's hope that Glass realizes that he's not hiring someone who he needs to add to his weekly poker game. He needs to hire the best available coach for the program. If that means that he has to work a little harder to manage the basketball coach at IU than he did before, but will see better results, so be it. It's the AD's job after all.

Marshall reminds me of Crean. Marshall might be a good coach, but I can't get passed that.

Go hard after Donovan while the NCAA is going on. Then start interviewing coaches as they are eliminated. Make the announcement the day of the championship game.

I hope you just mean Marshall "looks" like Crean. That is as far as that comparison goes. IU fans can hate a coach for the craziest reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Readyforsix
Actually, it does. If it's a friend who works at the Indy Star sports dept, then it's worth mentioning. If however it's a friend who works at the China Star restaurant in Bloomington, well...
Ok...Well I will just leave it as is. My source was on the money with the Crean decision

I'd say it's worth putting feelers out to Donovan. But I'd be surprised if they came back positive.

Marshall would be a terrific hire. His teams are good mostly because they execute consistently...he's not riding in the back of the occasional big-time player.

And I really think we could get Marshall, too.
Marshall would be tough because he already is the 9th highest paid coach

I'd say it's worth putting feelers out to Donovan. But I'd be surprised if they came back positive.

Marshall would be a terrific hire. His teams are good mostly because they execute consistently...he's not riding in the back of the occasional big-time player.

And I really think we could get Marshall, too.
Maybe it isn't a big deal, but what kind of recruiter is he? He rules the MVC, but can he land those high 4 and 5 stars? Maybe he doesn't need them to be successful, but it would be nice to have to win at the highest level.

I think it would be worth oferring him the big salary floating around for months on the board. If the rumors of Donovan getting upwards of 8mil a year are even remotely a possibility, I wouldn't think giving Marshall a bump would be a concern. I don't know a damn thing about the situation though.

Yeah, but I think we ought to be able to offer him a raise -- even if it's relatively slight.

Moreover, while money is always an issue, I don't think Marshall is all that motivated by it. Keep in mind that he reportedly turned down an offer from Alabama that would've put him at or near the top of that list.

I think he wants to cut down some nets -- and Indiana gives him a better opportunity to use his skills to that end than he'd ever have in the MVC or at a program like Bama.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
I think it would be worth oferring him the big salary floating around for months on the board. If the rumors of Donovan getting upwards of 8mil a year are even remotely a possibility, I wouldn't think giving Marshall a bump would be a concern. I don't know a damn thing about the situation though.

I don't know a damn thing either. But I would be very skeptical of any notion that we're willing and able to more than double our basketball coach's salary.

I don't know a damn thing either. But I would be very skeptical of any notion that we're willing and able to more than double our basketball coach's salary.

I'm very skeptical, but offering Marshall (or another big time coach) a bump up to 4.5-5mil seems reasonable if the statement Fred Glass made is remotely true. The standards he demands for the job are not going to come cheep.

I'm very skeptical, but offering Marshall (or another big time coach) a bump up to 4.5-5mil seems reasonable if the statement Fred Glass made is remotely true. The standards he demands for the job are not going to come cheep.

I didn't say that ~$4.5 mm would be far-fetched. I said that ~$7-8 mm would...be it for Billy Donovan or anybody else.

Reactions: Krafty97grad
I didn't say that ~$4.5 mm would be far-fetched. I said that ~$7-8 mm would...be it for Billy Donovan or anybody else.

Yea I was vague, sorry about that. When I said the big salary I guess I was thinking upwards of 6m. The 8m was something I wasn't taking seriously.

Maybe it isn't a big deal, but what kind of recruiter is he? He rules the MVC, but can he land those high 4 and 5 stars? Maybe he doesn't need them to be successful, but it would be nice to have to win at the highest level.

If he's smart -- and he is -- he hires a kickass head recruiter on his staff.

Look, the success of a basketball program is kinda like the success of a car racing team. To win, you have to have a great car and a great driver. In this case, IU is the car and the coach is the driver.

As such, I'd suspect that virtually any coach would have more success recruiting to a program like ours than a program like WSU's. But most great leaders are also great delegators....and surround themselves with people who are good at whatever is being delegated to them.

I don't think Marshall is the only good candidate out there (assuming he's willing to leave WSU for the right opportunity). But I think he's the best one that strikes me as being within our reach.

Reactions: IUPaterade724

Look, the success of a basketball program is kinda like the success of a car racing team. To win, you have to have a great car and a great driver. In this case, IU is the car and the coach is the driver.

As such, I'd suspect that virtually any coach would have more success recruiting to a program like ours than a program like WSU's. But most great leaders are also great delegators....and surround themselves with people who are good at whatever is being delegated to them.

I don't think Marshall is the only good candidate out there (assuming he's willing to leave WSU for the right opportunity). But I think he's the best one that strikes me as being within our reach.

Well, your moniker explains it all.

I would add to that we really do not know what Gregg Marshall is capable of doing on the recruiting trail as he has not had the opportunity at a high major. We know he doesn't need the coveted player most big time colleges go for, but that's about all we know.

Put me in the list of those on this board who are skeptical about Glass. I'll believe that he makes a "home run" hire when I see it. Look at the last coaches hired. In baseball and football. Hell, the football coach had last been a head coach at Ben Davis High School.
Football and basketball at Indiana are polar opposites. IU has been historically the worst program in major college football. The basketball job is a cherry and all coaches out there know it.

8 Million a year is a laughable rumor. The best of the best in big boy college football make around 6 million per season and football generates FAR more revenue than basketball. 5 to 5.5M per year is probably the best you're going to see from IU and that's still top, top dollar.

8 Million a year is a laughable rumor. The best of the best in big boy college football make around 6 million per season and football generates FAR more revenue than basketball. 5 to 5.5M per year is probably the best you're going to see from IU and that's still top, top dollar.

I agree...

You don't want to hire him because he looks like Tom Crean? Good Lord...

Reactions: IUPaterade724

I'd be surprised if we end up going as high as $5M. Maybe in that vicinity. But don't forget that the HC's compensation is only one line item in the program's overall cost.

I agree.

Exactly. No big name successful coach can be "controlled." A good AD successfully "manages" such a coach's actions. How easy do you think it is to be the AD for Urban Meyer or Nick Saban? Come on? If Fred Glass would make the ability to control the coach a selection criterion, then he'd be a fool.

Marshall would be an ideal choice.

Let's hope that Glass realizes that he's not hiring someone who he needs to add to his weekly poker game. He needs to hire the best available coach for the program. If that means that he has to work a little harder to manage the basketball coach at IU than he did before, but will see better results, so be it. It's the AD's job after all.
Um, we hired Louisville's (one of the best baseball programs in the country) top assistant as our current HC. Why exactly is that a problem? The Big Ten is a midmajor baseball conference with weather issues. While I like the investments in facilities and the progress we've made, IU is not an attractive job in baseball. Seriously, the B1G is on par with MAC football, if that. We offered Tracy Smith a blank check to stay, but he said no, because ASU is such a better job. I believe he was making more money here than there. No clue what your issue is with Lemonis. That was a reasonable hire.

Who did you think would be clamoring to take the football job? We can't even get people to come to games? It's pretty much either coordinator or MAC HC. Wilson didn't have any HC experience either, other than HS. And it's really not unusual to hire assistants as HCs. I'm not sure if you just don't follow college football or what. Allen has turned around two different Power 5 defenses now, literally going from the 100s to the 40s-30s in one year. Acting like we just scooped him up out of Ben Davis is disingenuous.

This is why I cringe when people talk about other IU sports on this board. They seem completely befuddled as to why they don't attract every top coach in the nation. IU basketball does not equal baseball or football. They've got 100 years of losing and crappy conference prestige/weather to overcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: hometownfan

You can't get past that Marshal has won 30+ games 4 out of the last 5 years? The only year he didn't was 26 wins.

He's been to the NCAA 6 years in a row. Including a S16 and a F4. For a small school, that's great.

A few years a go, he went 35-1. 1 freaking loss, that one to National Champion Louisville in game that came down to the very end, and what I thought had several bad calls versus WSU.

The only times he has not been to the NCAA with WSU were the first 4 years, two of which he was building the program. The other two were 25 and 29 win seasons where he didn't get an at large due to P5 bias.

His team plays a tough-nose style of disciplined/defensive oriented basketball. Not a slowed down version, but with good fundamentals.

I like him as a coach a lot.

Not at Kentucky for basketball or Alabama for football, want to run with the big dogs better bring your checkbook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT