ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Marshall

You can't get past that Marshal has won 30+ games 4 out of the last 5 years? The only year he didn't was 26 wins.

He's been to the NCAA 6 years in a row. Including a S16 and a F4. For a small school, that's great.

A few years a go, he went 35-1. 1 freaking loss, that one to National Champion Louisville in game that came down to the very end, and what I thought had several bad calls versus WSU.

The only times he has not been to the NCAA with WSU were the first 4 years, two of which he was building the program. The other two were 25 and 29 win seasons where he didn't get an at large due to P5 bias.

His team plays a tough-nose style of disciplined/defensive oriented basketball. Not a slowed down version, but with good fundamentals.

I like him as a coach a lot.
From an outsider, he would seem to be a good fit for what I see a lot of your poster's here say they want. Team basketball and wouldn't need OADs and could build his style around all the in state four year type talent.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Um, we hired Louisville's (one of the best baseball programs in the country) top assistant as our current HC. Why exactly is that a problem? The Big Ten is a midmajor baseball conference with weather issues. While I like the investments in facilities and the progress we've made, IU is not an attractive job in baseball. Seriously, the B1G is on par with MAC football, if that. We offered Tracy Smith a blank check to stay, but he said no, because ASU is such a better job. I believe he was making more money here than there. No clue what your issue is with Lemonis. That was a reasonable hire.

Who did you think would be clamoring to take the football job? We can't even get people to come to games? It's pretty much either coordinator or MAC HC. Wilson didn't have any HC experience either, other than HS. And it's really not unusual to hire assistants as HCs. I'm not sure if you just don't follow college football or what. Allen has turned around two different Power 5 defenses now, literally going from the 100s to the 40s-30s in one year. Acting like we just scooped him up out of Ben Davis is disingenuous.

This is why I cringe when people talk about other IU sports on this board. They seem completely befuddled as to why they don't attract every top coach in the nation. IU basketball does not equal baseball or football. They've got 100 years of losing and crappy conference prestige/weather to overcome.

Tracy Smith was making around 200K with bonus compensations that put he's 2014 salary around 380k. At ASU he's base salary is 375K with bonuses that push it much higher.

You can't get past that Marshal has won 30+ games 4 out of the last 5 years? The only year he didn't was 26 wins.

He's been to the NCAA 6 years in a row. Including a S16 and a F4. For a small school, that's great.

A few years a go, he went 35-1. 1 freaking loss, that one to National Champion Louisville in game that came down to the very end, and what I thought had several bad calls versus WSU.

The only times he has not been to the NCAA with WSU were the first 4 years, two of which he was building the program. The other two were 25 and 29 win seasons where he didn't get an at large due to P5 bias.

His team plays a tough-nose style of disciplined/defensive oriented basketball. Not a slowed down version, but with good fundamentals.

He is a good coach, and has been successful at every program. His success hasn't just been winning MVC titles, but has had NCAA tournament success. Hell, he beat IU! I would not be opposed to him. I just don't see him an more elite than a long list of possibilities. He could impress me by making a run with a new group of players and new leadership.

He is a good coach, and has been successful at every program. His success hasn't just been winning MVC titles, but has had NCAA tournament success. Hell, he beat IU! I would not be opposed to him. I just don't see him an more elite than a long list of possibilities. He could impress me by making a run with a new group of players and new leadership.

Besides Donovan, and obviously Stevens (who I personally don't think are interested)... who would you consider to be more elite of the possibilities?

Um, we hired Louisville's (one of the best baseball programs in the country) top assistant as our current HC. Why exactly is that a problem? The Big Ten is a midmajor baseball conference with weather issues. While I like the investments in facilities and the progress we've made, IU is not an attractive job in baseball. Seriously, the B1G is on par with MAC football, if that. We offered Tracy Smith a blank check to stay, but he said no, because ASU is such a better job. I believe he was making more money here than there. No clue what your issue is with Lemonis. That was a reasonable hire.

Who did you think would be clamoring to take the football job? We can't even get people to come to games? It's pretty much either coordinator or MAC HC. Wilson didn't have any HC experience either, other than HS. And it's really not unusual to hire assistants as HCs. I'm not sure if you just don't follow college football or what. Allen has turned around two different Power 5 defenses now, literally going from the 100s to the 40s-30s in one year. Acting like we just scooped him up out of Ben Davis is disingenuous.

This is why I cringe when people talk about other IU sports on this board. They seem completely befuddled as to why they don't attract every top coach in the nation. IU basketball does not equal baseball or football. They've got 100 years of losing and crappy conference prestige/weather to overcome.

Apparently you believe that you have some kind of monopoly on knowledge. Uh sport, I know where the baseball and football coaches were hired from. Your usual condescending attitude notwithstanding, IU Baseball and Football will never reach high levels until the administration manages them to reach greater success.

IU baseball had just built a brand new facility and reached the college world series under Smith. It was perfectly natural for Smith to take the ASU job -- it's one of the best college baseball jobs in the country. The question is, what happens to IU after he leaves. If the right hire is not made, all the momentum that had been generated by the program is lost. You seem to be willing to settle and assume that because it's Indiana baseball, their success was an aberration, they should just hire a "usual" candidate -- an assistant coach at another school. Yes, L'ville baseball is good. They've been ranked number 1 (actually, glass could learn from Jurich, but that's another discussion entirely). I would hope, though, that Indiana baseball could take the next step in the evolutionary process of success and attract a coach with head coaching experience. You listed the limitations of IU baseball (being in the BIG, geography (FYI -- only 75 miles away from L'ville), etc..). It's all about attitude. You seem to believe that IU needs to understand and accept its place in the NCAA baseball landscape. If that was the case, why did they build a new stadium? How did Tracy Smith have so much success?

Now let's look at football. Kevin Wilson had improved recruiting immeasurably at IU. They had gone to 2 bowl games in a row for the first time since 1990/91. You mentioned that Wilson didn't have any head coaching experience -- you're right. When he was hired, the program was mired in mediocrity (having gone through a 19-30 stretch). Just like tracy smith, he's improved the program. So when Wilson was fired, instead of "improving" the program, what did Glass do? He made a hire with no head coaching experience. I would argue that he was in a better position to get a more experience, higher profile coach this time around. If the improvement of the football program is going to continue, the standards are going to have to be raised, and that includes the hiring process.

I agree with you that the pedigree of the IU baseball and football programs do not match that of the basketball program. However, I don't believe that having higher expectations for both programs is misguided or ignorant (as seemed to be thesis of your post). I don't expect all of IU's sports programs to attract every top coach. However, I do expect the AD to attempt to continue to improve the sports programs -- especially those which are moving in a positive direction already.

I have no doubt From all the descriptions I have heard about Marshall, he would not be a good fit at IU. I don't believe he would embrace IU the way we need him too.

From my buddy in Wichita: Marshall would listen, but not good timing right now. Has a daughter who has 1 more year of high school and wants to finish where she is. Also would be more likely to leave for a Carolina or SEC team. Add in a good squad coming back next year at WSU and it means Marshall is probably unlikely to come to IU.

From my buddy in Wichita: Marshall would listen, but not good timing right now. Has a daughter who has 1 more year of high school and wants to finish where she is. Also would be more likely to leave for a Carolina or SEC team. Add in a good squad coming back next year at WSU and it means Marshall is probably unlikely to come to IU.

Well, he already turned down a gigantic offer from an SEC team (Bama). And I have a hard time imagining Duke or UNC offering him their jobs, whenever they become open.

What makes you think your friend knows anything about what Marshall is thinking? Because he's from Wichita?

Brad Stevens already said "I'm flattered at the interest, but I am not leaving the Boston Celtics" per the Dan Patrick show, in case you were hoping for a miracle.

Donovan, Miller, Miller, Marshall, Bennett, Drew, (big gap) then Alford is my list
I think he said he wasn't leaving Butler, right up to the point he got a great offer from the Celtics. You never know unless you ask, and if you don't ask, you don't get. I say, give him everything we can, and if he says no, then it's no and move on, but AT LEAST make a tremendous offer. If IU is in the final four every other year, maybe wins 2 or 3 NCs in 10 years, that money is no problem. And, if he says, "No," at least we tried.

Wichita State alum and fan here. Just came to see how much talk there was about Greg Marshall on here. Seems to be on a lot of peoples wish list. For the sake of us Shocker fans I hope he stays. I really think he is waiting for a shot at one of the really big jobs. IU is a definite step up but I think he wants more. I really expect he stays until Calipari leaves UK and thats when he leaves.

And I quoted this post because it is wrong on so many accounts. WSU lost in the FF to Louisville in 2013. The undefeated season was the next year. Lost in rd 2 to a UK team who was an 8 seed and should have been about a 4. And since the committe loved that so much they set it up again this year.

Reactions: Richard Cory

Can he recruit the state of Indiana?

Actually, it does. If it's a friend who works at the Indy Star sports dept, then it's worth mentioning. If however it's a friend who works at the China Star restaurant in Bloomington, well...
You've got that reversed when it comes to having any "inside info".

The Indy Star has become an extension of the Laffy C&J... They're a joke.

Wichita State alum and fan here. Just came to see how much talk there was about Greg Marshall on here. Seems to be on a lot of peoples wish list. For the sake of us Shocker fans I hope he stays. I really think he is waiting for a shot at one of the really big jobs. IU is a definite step up but I think he wants more. I really expect he stays until Calipari leaves UK and thats when he leaves.

And I quoted this post because it is wrong on so many accounts. WSU lost in the FF to Louisville in 2013. The undefeated season was the next year. Lost in rd 2 to a UK team who was an 8 seed and should have been about a 4. And since the committe loved that so much they set it up again this year.

I bet Calipari stays at Kaintuck for another decade.

Not at Kentucky for basketball or Alabama for football, want to run with the big dogs better bring your checkbook.

Your ignorance shows. Saban's around 6.9 per. Calipari is around 7 per. Jim Harbaugh makes like 5.8 per. Urban Meyer's at 6.5M. Coach K will makes just over 6M per. Rick Pitino is at 5M per. 8M per is unheard of, especially in basketball - unless it's Brad Stevens or Donovan that'd be the only chance you'd see a 8M per year contract, but that's still incredibly far fetched. You do what other programs do and give big bonuses. Rick Pitino has like a 4M retention bonus he receives every three years.

Coach Popovic makes 11M per and he's the best coach in the world. There is only three coaches in the NBA that make over 8M per... you have to understand how unrealistic that number is.

I was afraid of that. I had hoped his youngest had already left for college.

Give me Donovan or give me death!!

Donovan is a good coach, no doubt. But he is not a perfect match at Indiana. Sampson wasn't either and we knew Sampson could coach. But looking at the 2008 team, it was clear that there was a problem with the ethics and values of some of those guys, even before the cheating scandal.

If one looks closely at Donovan's recruits at UF, I'm not sure Indiana fans will be as thrilled as some may like to think.

But yes, Donovan coaches both offense and defense.

Reactions: .Gerdis

I agree...I think Marshall will be the next coach at UK but the question is will the Shockers be able to hold on to him until then? It now looks like Calipari will be at UK several more years and every year there are going to schools coming after Marshall. Marshall is one of the best coaches in the business and it is going to be interesting to see what he ends up doing. He's got a great job at WSU and is very well compensated so whoever has any hopes of hiring him away from the Shockers better really be ready to pay up.

I agree...I think Marshall will be the next coach at UK but the question is will the Shockers be able to hold on to him until then? It now looks like Calipari will be at UK several more years and every year there are going to schools coming after Marshall. Marshall is one of the best coaches in the business and it is going to be interesting to see what he ends up doing. He's got a great job at WSU and is very well compensated so whoever has any hopes of hiring him away from the Shockers better really be ready to pay up.
I on't see Marshall going to UK because of their boosters

Marshall is a no brainer until he has to interview. His reputation precedes him and he's known to not make a great impression. Sounds like Texas didn't even consider him a few years ago as a result.

Marshall and UK seems like a hilariously bad fit.

This is about all you need to know about Marshall... Shocker fans love him and do not want him to leave. Could that have been said about Sampson at the time? Crean? Would it be said about Alford? Sometimes you have to pay attention to the fans that are closest.

What? He's basically Crean with less personality and a worse recruiter.

Gregg Marshall has been the coach at Winthrop and Wichita State. Tell me, which of those two schools is he, or anyone, supposed to get top 50 players and McDonald's AAs? Tell me. I'm waiting.
Also, go and look at how Marshall dominates the conferences when he's there. I'll give you hint...there will be a lot of seasons with "1st" next to it.

Oh, and while you're at it, tell me how many McDonald's AAs Crean landed at Marquette. And tell me how Crean does in conference play. I'll give you hint...once in a while you'll see "1st" with a lot "5th", "6th", or "10th" in there. He sucked.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Gregg Marshall has been the coach at Winthrop and Wichita State. Tell me, which of those two schools is he, or anyone, supposed to get top 50 players and McDonald's AAs? Tell me. I'm waiting.
Also, go and look at how Marshall dominates the conferences when he's there. I'll give you hint...there will be a lot of seasons with "1st" next to it.

Oh, and while you're at it, tell me how many McDonald's AAs Crean landed at Marquette. And tell me how Crean does in conference play. I'll give you hint...once in a while you'll see "1st" with a lot "5th", "6th", or "10th" in there. He sucked.
At this point Indiana would be a lateral move for Marshall. Maybe he chases the money but he'd be better off waiting until a better school comes calling.

Per Rob Dauster of NBC Sports on XM this AM, Marshall has 2 dream jobs: UNC and IU.

How does he know? No idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT