ADVERTISEMENT

From the “You can’t make this up file”

Sep 30, 2023

“There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas”
- Mayorkas

I haven’t done the NYT crossword in a while so forgive me, but does anyone know another word for a physical barrier meant to keep people out?

“There is presently an acute and immediate need to construct physical barriers and roads in the vicinity of the border of the United States in order to prevent unlawful entries into the United States in the project areas”
- Mayorkas

I haven’t done the NYT crossword in a while so forgive me, but does anyone know another word for a physical barrier meant to keep people out?
Racist?

- Mayorkas

Fart?

- Mayorkas

'Acute and immediate need'.
The hypocrisy is neverending.

A link from the wayback machine...

Not one more foot...
th_coffee.gif

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
Well just plugging the holes in the existing wall makes it easier to plan CBP deployments.

It possibly also foregoes need for HR 2 … which may have additional undesirable content.

What made it bigoted was the insinuation these people are criminals, while overlooking more drugs flow into the US via ports than over the border.

Of course, Mexico was a little offended Trump used them for political points as if they were going to pay for it all.

'Acute and immediate need'.
The hypocrisy is neverending.
Words you are not used to, you are right. Everyone can drive out and look at the Rockies. People went over/around/through in wagons with kids risking wild animals and Native tribes. Why would anyone think 20 miles of some foot wide wall would stop anyone today?

Words you are not used to, you are right. Everyone can drive out and look at the Rockies. People went over/around/through in wagons with kids risking wild animals and Native tribes. Why would anyone think 20 miles of some foot wide wall would stop anyone today?
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills, when I watch leftists incessantly make this point you are making.

A physical barrier is preferable to no physical barrier. Can we not all just agree on that? Or are Democrats really that hopelessly partisan?

No it’s not the complete solution. But it’s important.

So Mayorkas is disingenuous and 'knows better' than to ever build the 'physical barriers''...?

Reactions: DANC
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills, when I watch leftists incessantly make this point you are making.

A physical barrier is preferable to no physical barrier. Can we not all just agree on that? Or are Democrats really that hopelessly partisan?

Kind of like gun control laws.

Reactions: Bill4411
What made it bigoted was the insinuation these people are criminals, while overlooking more drugs flow into the US via ports than over the border.

Of course, Mexico was a little offended Trump used them for political points as if they were going to pay for it all.
Hey....look over there...!!
Pitiful.....

And the one before him and the one before him. They all do it.

A lot like that. We need to enforce current laws regarding both guns and immigration.
Everyone who owns an AR15 is a murderer. If we're going prejudice people, why stop at the brown people crossing the border.

What percentage of crosses do you think are stopped by a 20 mile wall? 1%, 10, 50? It seems to me to be very low.

There are 2 ways to greatly reduce it, used in conjunction. 1) tremendous pressure on those countries to be liveable. Of course Venezuela is a problem and won't change since their reason for existing is to be our opposite.

We need more drones, more people. Flood the area with thermal imaging drones and patrols with dogs.

We need to pressure Mexico to arrest the people running the business of moving people to the US.

If I thought a wall worked, I would have no problem. The only reason the Berlin Wall worked was the machine guns present. An unmanned wall wouldn't have done much. Boots on the ground win wars.

Maybe a wall all the way across would work, maybe. But it is very costly, Mexico won't pay for it. And if we built it, cartels would set to work blowing up sections.

Reactions: larsIU
It was kind of a joke but I apparently pushed a button.
In fairness, someone was going to bring it up at some point. The distinction still applies.

There are those who think unfettered immigration is bad for this country. We don't need to prejudice those who come across in ways meant to strike fear into the minds of gullible idiots. Trump courted the bigoted and the stupid, and they responded.

What percentage of crosses do you think are stopped by a 20 mile wall? 1%, 10, 50? It seems to me to be very low.
That question misses the point. It’s part of a larger security strategy that encompasses the stuff you mention as well as smart policy like remain in Mexico.

The cost is negligible. We’ve spent five walls worth of money trying to defend Ukraine’s borders. Compared to what usually gets funded and wasted in the omnibus shit shows that come out of Washington, a wall is extremely practical.

There are 2 ways to greatly reduce it, used in conjunction. 1) tremendous pressure on those countries to be liveable. Of course Venezuela is a problem and won't change since their reason for existing is to be our opposite.

We need more drones, more people. Flood the area with thermal imaging drones and patrols with dogs.

We need to pressure Mexico to arrest the people running the business of moving people to the US.

If I thought a wall worked, I would have no problem. The only reason the Berlin Wall worked was the machine guns present. An unmanned wall wouldn't have done much. Boots on the ground win wars.
It wouldn't have to be unmanned, but a wall would be preventative. With today's construction, surveillance and sensor technology, today's wall would be tougher to breach than yesterday's wall.

Maybe a wall all the way across would work, maybe. But it is very costly, Mexico won't pay for it. And if we built it, cartels would set to work blowing up sections.
There would be ways to react quickly, if not sniff it out before such an explosive was activated. Something like that would certainly draw attention. I'd say at that point, Mexico would take an active interest over fear of it being an attack.

Everyone who owns an AR15 is a murderer. If we're going prejudice people, why stop at the brown people crossing the border.
You keep on keeping on, Sparky.

The point was obviously lost on you. Politicians make announcements that will help their re-election then never execute on the subject of the announcement. This "construction of a physical barrier", aka a wall, is just another example.

Smear someone else as a bigot who dislikes brown people. I said nothing of the sort.

Yup and I don't really think an unmanned wall all the way across would solve much given the possibility of tunneling, climbing and boats.

Then there are migrating animals that would be effected (probably already effected).

That question misses the point. It’s part of a larger security strategy that encompasses the stuff you mention as well as smart policy like remain in Mexico.

The cost is negligible. We’ve spent five walls worth of money trying to defend Ukraine’s borders. Compared to what usually gets funded and wasted in the omnibus shit shows that come out of Washington, a wall is extremely practical.
Suppose I had a system that could keep 1 in a hundred kids who drop out of school in school, would you vote for $900,000,000 for it? Would you if it stopped all dropouts? Success rate matters.

I might be wrong, maybe 20 miles will slam the door shut. I just don't see it and haven't seen advocates suggest it.

It wouldn't have to be unmanned, but a wall would be preventative. With today's construction, surveillance and sensor technology, today's wall would be tougher to breach than yesterday's wall.

There would be ways to react quickly, if not sniff it out before such an explosive was activated. Something like that would certainly draw attention. I'd say at that point, Mexico would take an active interest over fear of it being an attack.

This seems like a serious 180 in liberal stance.

Reactions: ulrey
This seems like a serious 180 in liberal stance.

Marvin's stance wasn't any different than the average liberal stance

And Bloom's stance doesn't necessary mean it is now the liberal stance as a whole. I would still bet most liberals don't see walls as an effective (or even cost effective) solution

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and stollcpa
You keep on keeping on, Sparky.

The point was obviously lost on you. Politicians make announcements that will help their re-election then never execute on the subject of the announcement. This "construction of a physical barrier", aka a wall, is just another example.

Smear someone else as a bigot who dislikes brown people. I said nothing of the sort.
I didn't say you did. Just drawing parallels to prejudicial arguments made by Trump.

No point was lost on me, especially when the wall was promised 8 years ago.

Suppose I had a system that could keep 1 in a hundred kids who drop out of school in school, would you vote for $900,000,000 for it? Would you if it stopped all dropouts? Success rate matters.

I might be wrong, maybe 20 miles will slam the door shut. I just don't see it and haven't seen advocates suggest it.
The effectiveness is most likely incalculable. But we know as a matter of common sense and history that walls are effective. I’ve spoken a lot about deterrence on this board recently, but most of a walls value is as part of the larger security posture that would-be migrants recognize and make alternative decisions because of.

When you have a deliberately weak security posture (like this administration) the results are predictable.

How many people would walk across your lawn if you didn’t have a fence (if you have one)? Who knows. Why do people even have fences around their houses? The average human could scale or bypass them easily.

But it’s a recognition that this is property/ land on which you are not welcome. The effect that message has on border crossings is incalculable, but it isn’t nothing as evidenced by the difference between the Trump and Biden administrations.

Reactions: DANC
Marvin's stance wasn't any different than the average liberal stance

And Bloom's stance doesn't necessary mean it is now the liberal stance as a whole. I would still bet most liberals don't see walls as an effective (or even cost effective) solution
It probably does to people who need labels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT