ADVERTISEMENT

Fetterman đź‘Ź

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
Hope he gets the help he needs and helps more people to get help.

I watched my deceased brother fight anxiety, panic attacks and depression. He was straight A student and extremely intelligent. Unlike his brother, he was quiet and bashful. He was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance and treated.

I’ve made many people uncomfortable openly talking about the subject. A couple months before he died we played a two man golf tournament together and won. It was one of the few times we played golf together. His widow has told me many times since his death how happy he was after that tournament. I regret we didn’t play more often. My fault for always putting work first.

To this day we don’t know whether the head on semi crash was an accident or suicide. My dad drove up on the crash. He was meeting my brother that day to take him back to the doctor to get back on his medication.

I watched my deceased brother fight anxiety, panic attacks and depression. He was straight A student and extremely intelligent. Unlike his brother, he was quiet and bashful. He was diagnosed with a chemical imbalance and treated.

I’ve made many people uncomfortable openly talking about the subject. A couple months before he died we played a two man golf tournament together and won. It was one of the few times we played golf together. His widow has told me many times since his death how happy he was after that tournament. I regret we didn’t play more often. My fault for always putting work first.

To this day we don’t know whether the head on semi crash was an accident or suicide. My dad drove up on the crash. He was meeting my brother that day to take him back to the doctor to get back on his medication.

Really glad the guy will get the help he needs and wants.

To his colleagues that were aware of his issues yet used him as a pawn because they wanted the seat and are now “praising” him…****ing hypocrites

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, it had to be a hard thing to deal with. I've known a few people who've had strokes, heart attacks, bypass surgeries,...; my Father (multi bypass) among them. Almost all of them had some form of behavioral change after the episode. My Dad never hit what qualified as clinical depression but he was different for probably six months after the surgery. If someone flirts with depression I imagine the ramifications could be severe. I hope Fetterman gets what he needs.

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, it had to be a hard thing to deal with. I've known a few people who've had strokes, heart attacks, bypass surgeries,...; my Father (multi bypass) among them. Almost all of them had some form of behavioral change after the episode. My Dad never hit what qualified as clinical depression but he was different for probably six months after the surgery. If someone flirts with depression I imagine the ramifications could be severe. I hope Fetterman gets what he needs.
Glad dad recovered okay. You’re right about strokes and heart attacks.

My brother was in early 30s when his first hit. Spent a month in a facility that he signed himself in to until they got the correct meds. Much to his doctor’s surprise he went back to his old job and everything went great. He again surprised his doc when they decided he could get off his meds. The night before he died he called my father and asked him to pick him up the next day and take him back to his doc. He thought he needed to start meds again. My dad was on his way to pick him up when he drove up on the wreck.

It’s such taboo for people to talk about depression and other mental health issues. I tell people all the time my brother wasn’t some nut. He was very intelligent and great guy. Hiding and not talking about it is why people don’t go get help.

The thing that people don't mention is that he will now get his salary for life and we have to pay all of his medical bills for life as well. The people of PA and the rest of the country was really duped by his Drs. and media.

The thing that people don't mention is that he will now get his salary for life and we have to pay all of his medical bills for life as well. The people of PA and the rest of the country was really duped by his Drs. and media.
I don't think that's accurate, at least not his full salary. my understanding is that it vests after 5 years, which is bad enough. so he'll get some money for life but not his full salary. as to whether he serves his full term to vest who knows. he may end up on disability

It’s such taboo for people to talk about depression and other mental health issues. I tell people all the time my brother wasn’t some nut. He was very intelligent and great guy. Hiding and not talking about it is why people don’t go get help.

Thanks for sharing Randy. It's interesting to me how people's views of others can be influenced greatly when their challenges are something you're familiar with. We've already seen how some will take someones else's misfortune as another opportunity to take the low road.

Like this:

Thanks for sharing Randy. It's interesting to me how people's views of others can be influenced greatly when their challenges are something you're familiar with. We've already seen how some will take someones else's misfortune as another opportunity to take the low road.

Like this:
I think rediufan isn’t completely right on pensions but the Fetterman candidacy was at best disingenuous. There are consequences to it that impact us all and the public does have a right to know the health of its reps imo. He should have had to withdraw

I didn't know that his promoter (um i mean wife) was an illegal. She apparently got "Dreamer'd" in. This just gets better and better.

Reactions: DANC
I think rediufan isn’t completely right on pensions but the Fetterman candidacy was at best disingenuous. There are consequences to it that impact us all and the public does have a right to know the health of its reps imo. He should have had to withdraw
yes... as public servants they give up certain rights that the majority of us have.

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong on the facts, he's an asshole. The man has been hospitalized for acute depression and he's trying to make political hay out of it.

It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong on the facts, he's an asshole. The man has been hospitalized for acute depression and he's trying to make political hay out of it.
Fetterman's candidacy was a joke from the beginning... Kicking him when he's down doesn't help anything but in all honesty is anybody really surprised that this pawn has mental health issues??

yes... as public servants they give up certain rights that the majority of us have.
they don't though is the problem. no one saw his scans. you can hire a doctor to say anything. believe me. that debate should have marked the end of his candidacy. his issues were far greater than hearing

Reactions: DANC and dr.jb
lots of assholes involved, including those who continued to push someone mentally unfit to office
It's got nothing to do with the assholes around Fetterman. It's about the assholes here. Stoll tried to start a thread that avoided the mudslinging, to offer his thoughts about the commendable act of someone in the public eye choosing to deal with clinical depression head-on. We've already had enough threads where people talked about how unfit Fetterman was. We could have just had this one nice thread about this one good decision.

Thanks for sharing your brother's difficult story, stoll. My mother dealt with clinical depression for decades and it's a devastating thing. There's so much we don't understand about the way the brain works and, despite the progress we've made, we don't do a great job as a society in dealing with mental health.

Hoping that Fetterman is getting the help he needs and taking care of himself.

I don't think that's accurate, at least not his full salary. my understanding is that it vests after 5 years, which is bad enough. so he'll get some money for life but not his full salary. as to whether he serves his full term to vest who knows. he may end up on disability
Yes, I posted the info. To get 80 percent of their salary, the maximum, they have to serve 67 years. I don’t think Byrd even did that.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Thanks for sharing your brother's difficult story, stoll. My mother dealt with clinical depression for decades and it's a devastating thing. There's so much we don't understand about the way the brain works and, despite the progress we've made, we don't do a great job as a society in dealing with mental health.

Hoping that Fetterman is getting the help he needs and taking care of himself.
Sorry about your mother. It’s a helpless feeling trying to help sometimes.

And agree about society. I’ve made many people uncomfortable talking about it.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and hoosboot
Sorry about your mother. It’s a helpless feeling trying to help sometimes.

And agree about society. I’ve made many people uncomfortable talking about it.
Maybe society is changing, there are programs at colleges, and other locations, now to "kick the stigma" to try to end the stigma of mental health. The Colts owner Irsay has given several million.

Celebrities talk about their struggles, my guess is hearing a Selena Gomez discuss her issues helps bring it more open. Maybe now people will feel free to seek help.

Reactions: hoosboot
I am reminded of a song, Hickory and Clover over and over the two dumbest posters over and over..
Fetterman is a sad story without regard to politics. The moment he reached just where he wanted to be in life he had a stroke. I have little doubt the same will happen to me

Strongly disagree, murt.

Many stroke victims, particularly relatively younger ones, make remarkable strides even after a serious stroke like Fetterman's. Often the treating docs are unable to predict with any degree of accuracy how much progress the patient will make. That said, most stroke victims who experience aphasia see significant improvement within six months. For others, it's longer - - several more months or longer (see link below). In the first days, weeks and even months following Fetterman's stroke, It's highly unlikely that Fetterman or his doctors could predict with any degree of certainty how long his recovery would take and how much progress he would ultimately make, but it's likely they had reason for optimism.

I rarely resort to anecdotal evidence because it's usually of limited value, but I'll do it here. I have an aunt who had a serious stroke, with aphasia, when she was in her late 40s. She regained full speech within a year. Several years later, she had a second stroke and, sadly, her speech didn't return.

I don't think Fetterman had any duty, moral or otherwise, to withdraw after having a stroke four days before the primary. I'm sure he was cautiously optimistic about a good recovery, and I think it's likely that his doctors were providing encouragement.

Also, from a practical standpoint and with respect to the primary, he suffered his stroke just four days before the primary. Early voting was already well underway and, again, I think his team was probably unable to make any kind of call as to how well and how quickly he might recover. With respect to the general election, what provisions - - if any - - does Pennsylvania have for a replacement candidate if a nominee decides to step down or if he/she dies? Would Lamb, as the runner-up, have automatically become the nominee? I don't know. And, again, even months after a stroke, the ultimate outcome remains uncertain.

That said, if communication continues to be difficult and/or if his clinical depression cannot be effectively treated, stepping down would be the right thing to so. It's my understanding that, if that were to occur, Shapiro would appoint a replacement followed by a special election as soon as practicable.

Strongly disagree, murt.

Many stroke victims, particularly relatively younger ones, make remarkable strides even after a serious stroke like Fetterman's. Often the treating docs are unable to predict with any degree of accuracy how much progress the patient will make. That said, most stroke victims who experience aphasia see significant improvement within six months. For others, it's longer - - several more months or longer (see link below). In the first days, weeks and even months following Fetterman's stroke, It's highly unlikely that Fetterman or his doctors could predict with any degree of certainty how long his recovery would take and how much progress he would ultimately make, but it's likely they had reason for optimism.

I rarely resort to anecdotal evidence because it's usually of limited value, but I'll do it here. I have an aunt who had a serious stroke, with aphasia, when she was in her late 40s. She regained full speech within a year. Several years later, she had a second stroke and, sadly, her speech didn't return.

I don't think Fetterman had any duty, moral or otherwise, to withdraw after having a stroke four days before the primary. I'm sure he was cautiously optimistic about a good recovery, and I think it's likely that his doctors were providing encouragement.

Also, from a practical standpoint and with respect to the primary, he suffered his stroke just four days before the primary. Early voting was already well underway and, again, I think his team was probably unable to make any kind of call as to how well and how quickly he might recover. With respect to the general election, what provisions - - if any - - does Pennsylvania have for a replacement candidate if a nominee decides to step down or if he/she dies? Would Lamb, as the runner-up, have automatically become the nominee? I don't know. And, again, even months after a stroke, the ultimate outcome remains uncertain.

That said, if communication continues to be difficult and/or if his clinical depression cannot be effectively treated, stepping down would be the right thing to so. It's my understanding that, if that were to occur, Shapiro would appoint a replacement followed by a special election as soon as practicable.

For sure. I think that given the temporal proximity to the election, debates, and such a short period to convalesce I think a lot of people didn’t have his best interests at heart. He was remarkably impaired at his debate and I stand by that he should have dropped around that time. His family and staff knew what condition he was in. My guess, truly a guess, is that his lack of recup time contributed to or exacerbated his present depressive state

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets the care he clearly needed

For sure. I think that given the temporal proximity to the election, debates, and such a short period to convalesce I think a lot of people didn’t have his best interests at heart. He was remarkably impaired at his debate and I stand by that he should have dropped around that time. His family and staff knew what condition he was in. My guess, truly a guess, is that his lack of recup time contributed to or exacerbated his present depressive state

Hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets the care he clearly needed

I don't know that his staff could have dropped him out without his consent.

I'm still not convinced his aphasia impacted his intellectual ability. That said, it most definitely effected his ability to perform his duties. The only question I have is how long that may last.
Yeah he might have had everything right in his head and couldn’t get it out.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Yeah he might have had everything right in his head and couldn’t get it out.
Spot on.

Much has been made (including by some of the idiots here) about his "Good night, everybody!" opening at the debate. It's likely "evening" came out as "night." Very similiar words, but entirely different context. Obviously, "good evening, everybody," would have been perfectly appropriate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT