ADVERTISEMENT

Do you want X dismissed from the team?

Google help from The NY Times.

My memory isn’t a sharp as it used to be, but I was pretty confident Roberson, Baker, and Cox got the boot. Several others indefinitely suspended, including our current leader of men.

The article says Trent Smock got booted at some other time. I’m sure I’d forgotten that one.
Trent was a starting WR for Corso … and could be seen playing basketball from time to time … in Wrubel

IMHO, the "C" should have been ripped off of him last night, starts the next game on the bench, and has zero tolerance from this point on. And since I'm being totally honest, if this team had a legitimate replacement for him now, I would have made him fly back home commercial and his locker would have been emptied out.
I was thinking that he should not be a captain. A captain doesn't put himself in a situation that will harm the team. If they do something like X did, they don't deserve to be a captain. It points to a lack of credible leadership on this team.

Malik didn't pull any punches when asked about X being ejected. I would expect some on the team would expect some consequences from this. This should serve as an opportunity for someone to step up and take more leadership. I get the feeling from Woody's comments that Leal could be the person.

Dude I hate to break this to you, but however many wins we get in the conference ain't gonna be enough to get us into the Big Dance.

Just ain't happening this year and if getting boat raced by Nebraska and Rutgers didn't show you this, with X on the floor while we were getting our asses kicked (and Johnson was AWFUL for 95% of yesterday's game while he was on the floor) then I'm not sure what to tell you.

This team isn't good and our guards suck. With X or without X, our guards suck.
I don’t disagree. I guess ultimately I just want Indiana basketball to win. I don’t really care that much about the “squeaky clean image” stuff that it seems some people on this board care so much about. Some people on here want X gone because of how it affects our “image”

I got news for that crowd. “Squeaky clean” and winning don’t go together. Bill Self, John Calipari, Jim Harbaugh, Bill Belicheck are the guys that win.

Indiana won’t hire guys like Bruce Pearl or Chris Beard and it’s a big part of the reason that we can’t produce a consistent winner.

Not dismissed, but at a minimum he shouldn't start next game. Aside from being a dirty play that he got busted for, it probably cost us the game because it looked like he was going to play within himself the second half.
Reasonable.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
That has to be the dumbest and weirdest play I've ever seen in basketball.

I still can't understand WTF he was thinking.

WTH would you cup someone's sack? It doesn't look accidental... it looked like he squeezed them a little lmao..

Why?

No he shouldn't be kicked off, he should have to face the clowning he's going to endure for the rest of the season.

Dude I hate to break this to you, but however many wins we get in the conference ain't gonna be enough to get us into the Big Dance.

Just ain't happening this year and if getting boat raced by Nebraska and Rutgers didn't show you this, with X on the floor while we were getting our asses kicked (and Johnson was AWFUL for 95% of yesterday's game while he was on the floor) then I'm not sure what to tell you.

This team isn't good and our guards suck. With X or without X, our guards suck.
I must have gone to the can during the 5% of the game where he wasn't awful.

Reactions: eyeuguy
A one game suspension is warranted or don’t start him in next game, at minimum.

Players need to be held accountable. I was very disappointed that MM received no on court punishment for his actions at Taco Bell before the season.
I am OK with no on-court punishment for MM. It was a first offense, the criminal justice system was going through its process, the charges did not involve violence and it was a example of very poor judgement.

Additionally, although suspending players for offenses may be appropriate in some situations, on-court suspensions also "punishes" the entire team by making the team less effective. So, on-court suspensions should be reserved for other situations that are more serious or for repeat offenders.

No, not dismissed for this. Remove the "C", start Leal with Galloway, with Gunn as first guard off the bench. Sub in X as needed for whomever makes the next mistake (defensive lapse, takes bad shot (I'm looking at you Gunn)).

Reactions: Willdog7
Malik didn't pull any punches when asked about X being ejected.
What did he say? I saw one interview where he just said basically it was a shock and it happening right as they're trying to mount a comeback threw them off their game for a while. I didn't hear any direct condemnation of what X did.

Nope. But it’s similar to the “this team is better without X” crowd. X might not be a great player or leader, but to say this team is better without him is complete nonsense. Did you see what we looked like last night after he was ejected?

Let’s also not act like X is the first player in college basketball to cheap shot someone below the belt. Grayson Allen made a career out of doing shit like this on a basketball court.
What I said was tongue-in-cheek. I don’t think it matters how good the player is. If they are a 6th year “leader” and they’re grabbing opponents by their nuts, yes, they should be suspended at a minimum.
Yeah, I saw how we looked with him out of the game. I also saw how we looked with him in the game. I’m not arguing whether or not we’re better with or without X. I will say this, with X it seems like we go from bad to less-bad. Technically, yes, that’s “better”, but that’s a damn low bar.

if you get ejected from a game you sit the next one as well. That's the minimum that should happen.
and take away his captaincy. Can't have a senior captain getting kicked out of a game like that, again with the backstory he has.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
We are good when X is good. We are terrible when X is bad. We are stinking Gawd awful when he doesnt play. I think we all see the hand writing on the wall on this season regardless. BUT before the UW game last year all was lost also. So who knows? He may start and get booed but if he puts up 20 against Minny with a 4-1 A/T ratio he’ll be a hero again like he was after OSU. Let’s just admit we’re all fickle

We are good when X is good. We are terrible when X is bad. We are stinking Gawd awful when he doesnt play. I think we all see the hand writing on the wall on this season regardless. BUT before the UW game last year all was lost also. So who knows? He may start and get booed but if he puts up 20 against Minny with a 4-1 A/T ratio he’ll be a hero again like he was after OSU. Let’s just admit we’re all fickle
Nice SN

I guarantee you that Woodson knows how things were handled by RMK and we have opinion but the internal workings of the program are speculated about but don''t always get openly communicated although in this day of social media there are a lot of so called experts about what goes on behind closed doors.

Old timers know the real story about Woodson, Tommy Baker and Roberson. Two of the three were kicked off the team after the Alaska trip. RMK gave them all chances.
Add Cox to that group.

Remember where Woody spent his coaching years before IU. The pro players are coddled, passified and catered to. Their accountability is to their endorsement companies. Woody is not geared for the college aged and level of player in terms of correction, guidance and development. None of that really applied at the pro level. He should have stayed there.

Remember where Woody spent his coaching years before IU. The pro players are coddled, passified and catered to. Their accountability is to their endorsement companies. Woody is not geared for the college aged and level of player in terms of correction, guidance and development. None of that really applied at the pro level. He should have stayed there.
I see x has still not suspended for even one game. Woodson is the furthest thing from knight i have ever seen.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
He has still not been suspended. They know under woodson they can get away with anything.

He has still not been suspended. They know under woodson they can get away with anything.
Woody might be coaching for his job. We don't know.

As ass as X played against Nebraska and Rutgers, he was great against OSU.

Do I wish we had better players so X could sit for a few games? Absolutely, but we don't.

That's the reality. Woody probably realizes IU isn't going to be dancing this year, but his only hope is going to be IF the X from the B1G tourney 2 years ago shows up. Sure, it's unlikely but that is IU's only shot is going to be a deep run in the B1G tourney, if not winning it.

Do I wish we had better players so X could sit for a few games? Absolutely, but we don't.

That's the reality. Woody probably realizes IU isn't going to be dancing this year, but his only hope is going to be IF the X from the B1G tourney 2 years ago shows up. Sure, it's unlikely but that is IU's only shot is going to be a deep run in the B1G tourney, if not winning it.

Where are Quinn and Scott May the we need to hire a tough nosed IU guy ? I guess they are ok with X not getting suspended by their buddy . You would never ever guess that Woodson played for Knight at all. Woodson is letting the inmates run things imo.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Where are Quinn and Scott May the we need to hire a tough nosed IU guy ? I guess they are ok with X not getting suspended by their buddy . You would never ever guess that Woodson played for Knight at all. Woodson is letting the inmates run things imo.
I'm not absolving Woody of anything. It's his fault we didn't land a difference making guard after JHS left for the NBA. Woody tried hard, but couldn't land one.

Sadly, X is the best guard we have, even though he isn't playing like it regularly. Woody has to try and win out, or very close to it (I know, not gonna happen) to have a chance at the NCAA tourney.

Whatever we think of X, we aren't winning big games or making a deep run in the B1G tourney without big performances from Xavier Johnson. Maybe Woodson thinks that the amount of time Johnson has already missed counts as time served towards a suspension.

Woody is not suspending our best guard, even if he sucks.

There is accountability in the NBA. I watch every Pacer game. And a few others as well. Most coaches don’t put up with nonsense. Yes, the elite few players are handled differently. But for the large majority - if you don’t play hard and you don’t play for your team - you sit. And you get traded. Coaches jobs are always on the line and they don’t take BS. I don’t think that the NBA player coach dynamic is Woodson’s problem. I think his problems are lack of offensive creativity, failure to adjust to games, poor substitution patterns, poor assistant staffing, poor recruiting, and general stubborness. IMO there are plenty of NBA coaches who would not have all of those problems as a college coach.

I think I'm already on record as YES, boot him, but let's add, this is not just about the singular act, although it was bad enough IMO, it's also about the furture of the program. IMO, that message would be XJ;s biggest contribution of his entire tenure.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Woodson allowing him to even sniff playing for Hoosiers again.
Show'd he was desperate..
Done with X. Done with Woodson !!!
We are holier than though and will not hire Beard or Pearl. But we will not suspend players and that is totally ok. LOL unreal.

I do not even want to hear Woodson talk about knight anymore they could not be two more different people.

Reactions: kmathum
Quinn was deeply involved with this hire and Scott May has nothing to do with the situation. Quinn may or may not have an opinion on the X situation.

I'm not absolving Woody of anything. It's his fault we didn't land a difference making guard after JHS left for the NBA. Woody tried hard, but couldn't land one.

Sadly, X is the best guard we have, even though he isn't playing like it regularly. Woody has to try and win out, or very close to it (I know, not gonna happen) to have a chance at the NCAA tourney.

Whatever we think of X, we aren't winning big games or making a deep run in the B1G tourney without big performances from Xavier Johnson. Maybe Woodson thinks that the amount of time Johnson has already missed counts as time served towards a suspension.

Woody is not suspending our best guard, even if he sucks.
You've been very clear that you think we missed the tourney after Neb.

So X can pound sand.

X is a terrific leader and coach Woodson believes him, so please show some grace. Everything he’s done is typical adolescent behavior. Curfew violation, reckless driving, and whacking players in the nuts. Hopefully this staff can land guys like this for years to come. You have love the culture coach Woodson has created in just 2.5 years. The future of IU basketball!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT