ADVERTISEMENT

More Woodson Quotes

PanDatrick

Benchwarmer
Jan 2, 2015
Not sure when these remarks took place, but Inside the Hall posted it on their X account. Just a hot pile of garbage from a leader.

On the injuries and Xavier Johnson missing time: "It's a big part of it.
People don't want to hear it. The media probably don't want to hear it. But it is what it is, man. I don't think any team in college basketball come in with their starting point guard not playing and expecting that. But it happens. Injuries happen and you gotta overcome it. And as a coach it's my job to help overcome it even though I don't play. I don't shoot free throws and I don't shoot 3s, | gotta get them comfortable where they're doing that." #iubb

• Wow
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Not sure when these remarks took place, but Inside the Hall posted it on their X account. Just a hot pile of garbage from a leader.

People don't want to hear it. The media probably don't want to hear it. But it is what it is, man. I don't think any team in college basketball come in with their starting point guard not playing and expecting that. But it happens. Injuries happen and you gotta overcome it. And as a coach it's my job to help overcome it even though I don't play. I don't shoot free throws and I don't shoot 3s, | gotta get them comfortable where they're doing that." #iubb
Unreal. Northwestern has injuries and still beat Woodson. The only coaches who deflect usually don't succeed.

He is right where having injuries hurt, but JFC take some accountability. What a load of shit. You're becoming someone who is losing a shit ton of resepect from people. That ego...

X has played in about 10% of the games the past 2 years: he is as unreliable as they come. You have to have a Plan B, C, D, and E, and Woodson has clearly proven he doesn't do backup plans and he doesn't adjust.

Woody went all in on Xavier Johnson and it's going to cost him and us.

I know you don’t want to hear this from me but X was not supposed to come back. this is a player who learned he would get a sixth year in late april, and there was a very real possibility he would have been denied. Indiana was fortunate to have him on their roster and it is despicable woody deflects blame on the situation.

Woody decision making on X was awful. Not only did you bring him back after injury and character issues but you make him a captain this year. No wonder this team has zero leadership. I mean good lord Woody, what did you expect.

The problem with the continual excuse making is that this is where his head is. I don’t think the injuries this year have been exceptional. X has always been a wild card. It would be refreshing to hear him allude to offensive and defensive adjustments or how to set up practice to address deficiencies. His general attitude seems to be that “i’m putting the players in position to succeed. They are getting open shots and free throws. They need to make them”.
I can understand a certain level of frustration from that. But nobody wants to hear the continued woe is me act from the coach.

The problem with the continual excuse making is that this is where his head is. I don’t think the injuries this year have been exceptional. X has always been a wild card. It would be refreshing to hear him allude to offensive and defensive adjustments or how to set up practice to address deficiencies. His general attitude seems to be that “i’m putting the players in position to succeed. They are getting open shots and free throws. They need to make them”.
I can understand a certain level of frustration from that. But nobody wants to hear the continued woe is me act from the coach.
Winning coaches don't make excuses. Northwestern has injuries and still beat us at our place. Woodson is just a joke.

I’m also tired of hearing of injuries. Some teams get lucky but the vast majority of CBB teams have injuries. It’s part of it and never should be used as an excuse
I just don't see this as reasonable. Of course if you have players injured, particularly starters, it affects your ability to win games. It's fine to say it's not an excuse, and yes all teams have to deal with injuries, should have bench depth to compensate as much as possible, etc. But let's say Edey were injured and Purdue started losing games. Would nobody cite that as a contributing (if not the major) reason? Every team has a few key players and if they go down it has an impact.

IDK that missing XJ and Newton are making that much of a difference for us, certainly X is inconsistent at best and Newton is an unknown. But at times we've also had Ware and Reneau injured, can't tell me that doesn't make a difference.

I just don't see this as reasonable. Of course if you have players injured, particularly starters, it affects your ability to win games. It's fine to say it's not an excuse, and yes all teams have to deal with injuries, should have bench depth to compensate as much as possible, etc. But let's say Edey were injured and Purdue started losing games. Would nobody cite that as a contributing (if not the major) reason? Every team has a few key players and if they go down it has an impact.

IDK that missing XJ and Newton are making that much of a difference for us, certainly X is inconsistent at best and Newton is an unknown. But at times we've also had Ware and Reneau injured, can't tell me that doesn't make a difference.
of course it makes a difference, but our injuries haven't been particularly bad or overwhelming. X is not Edey and was coming off an injury, so that should have been a red flag to the staff that we need backup options, besides Cupps. Never count on a freshman. An experienced PG or combo guard was a pretty pressing need, ideally one who was at least a decent shooter. Also can't believe anyone is talking about Newton as any form of excuse. Another freshman, and a healthy body would help, especially one who's a willing defender, but he wasn't going to make much of a difference likely with Galloway and MM playing the 2/3. We needed an experienced ball handler in the backcourt and one that can shoot. Big miss.

I don’t have much of a problem with these Woodson comments, because hes simply framing the discussion. Those here that are “tired of hearing excuses” are denying the obvious, that injuries make a huge difference to the success or failure of a season. Margins are thin to begin with, and one player out makes a massive difference, particularly a point guard who’s also a senior leader. The bench is so thin now that we have a guy who’s been at the very end of the bench now playing tons of minutes

Now, this thin bench is the result of poor roster management by Woodson. The backcourt is as bad as the front court is good. In my opinion, he shouldve filled the last scholarship with a guard. He also shouldve bailed on Gunn, who is so bad, even now in desperate need of guards, he sits. Gunn was already marginalized to the end of the bench last season, and it was a stretch that he was going to have a huge jump in quality. Letting go of Bates was a mistake. I guess its perhaps also fair that he could’ve predicted the injuries to both X and Newton, based on their previous seasons? Additionally, the rumors were that good transfers like Knecht etc all passed on coming to IU because they felt that X and Galloway were going to get most of the minutes. Is this something that Woodson miscommunicated to them? We’ll never know. All this to say, roster management plays a huge role to this season’s result. Injuries have been a huge reason this season has gone tits up, and denying that fact is dumb.

I don’t have much of a problem with these Woodson comments, because hes simply framing the discussion. Those here that are “tired of hearing excuses” are denying the obvious, that injuries make a huge difference to the success or failure of a season. Margins are thin to begin with, and one player out makes a massive difference, particularly a point guard who’s also a senior leader. The bench is so thin now that we have a guy who’s been at the very end of the bench now playing tons of minutes

Now, this thin bench is the result of poor roster management by Woodson. The backcourt is as bad as the front court is good. In my opinion, he shouldve filled the last scholarship with a guard. He also shouldve bailed on Gunn, who is so bad, even now in desperate need of guards, he sits. Gunn was already marginalized to the end of the bench last season, and it was a stretch that he was going to have a huge jump in quality. Letting go of Bates was a mistake. I guess its perhaps also fair that he could’ve predicted the injuries to both X and Newton, based on their previous seasons? Additionally, the rumors were that good transfers like Knecht etc all passed on coming to IU because they felt that X and Galloway were going to get most of the minutes. Is this something that Woodson miscommunicated to them? We’ll never know. All this to say, roster management plays a huge role to this season’s result. Injuries have been a huge reason this season has gone tits up, and denying that fact is dumb.
You lost me at senior pg who is a leader.

Lost to NW at home with both Ware and Reneau...

He is right where having injuries hurt, but JFC take some accountability. What a load of shit. You're becoming someone who is losing a shit ton of resepect from people. That ego...
Xavier Johnson had more flagrant fouls than field goals the three games prior to his injury. It didn't hurt near as bad as he's letting on, he doesn’t have a roster that can win in 2024.

That is on him.

Continues to put the team down. But you are supposed to teach them better fundamentals if they lack in areas. Go back to NBA please!

Ware missed one game and Reneau missed 1 or 2.

They were both healthy against Northwestern when IU was beaten on their home court without Northwestern's second best player.

Penn State destroyed IU at home without their leading scorer. Illinois is ranked 12th despite their best player being suspended for however many games.

Bottom line is that losing teams make excuses and winning teams don't. Woodson's excuses are getting old fast.

How many losses do you truly think we have due to injuries? And before you bring up X, let’s discuss he much he was bringing to the table between injuries
I don't know if we would have won one more game. The only point I'm making is that injuries have an impact, and teams have their best chance to win when everyone is healthy.

I don't know if we would have won one more game. The only point I'm making is that injuries have an impact, and teams have their best chance to win when everyone is healthy.
How many teams make it through the yeqr
Without injuries? Other than X, whose impact has been dubious at best, the other injuries have caused minimal missed time. This is a piss poor excuse and nothing else. Just stop

and you thought that point needed to be made?
Yes, because we haven't been healthy, and people here are talking like that hasn't contributed to our problems.

It's not an excuse for any of the other (non-injury) issues this team has, which are many.

Please, for the love of all things holy in the IU universe, don’t ever compare Edey with X again. One has been a PIA on and off the court. The other is a 2 time NPOY. 🙄

Reactions: CriticArisen
I like CMW. He's a Hoosier legend. That's why it could be difficult to fire him. But that's the ADs job and they have to make those decisions. Unfortunately for IU they are going through basketball and football coaches at a steady rate and eventually those big pocket donors are going to say no, we're not going to keep bailing you out for making poor choices.

CMW could help himself out with some good moves. He could bring in an assistant that can teach and/or recruit. They can include overseas recruiting and bring in some grown men who are ready to play right now. He could stop with the mass rotations. He can stop the guards leaving shooters. He could coach to the talent of his players and switch things up. Meaning, if you get torched in man to man try something else. He could drop the, "well, you know, I have to help them get over the hump" routine. It's his version of the aw shucks. It's not helping his cause.

Losing is never good but losing with no improvement over an entire season is not acceptable.

"I don't shoot free throws and I don't shoot 3s"

This makes my blood boil. Guess what, every other coach in the league doesn't either.

I have to think that improving free throws has to be one of the easier things to fix in all of basketball. As for shooting 3's - I'm not convinced our offense creates enough opportunities to shoot them cleanly--whether that's execution or design. Guess what Woody, you took the job and you own it.

My affinity for CMW as a player or coach drops daily with these comments. It would be so much easier if he'd just go away and be happy.

Yes, because we haven't been healthy, and people here are talking like that hasn't contributed to our problems.

It's not an excuse for any of the other (non-injury) issues this team has, which are many.
I think that the point that you missed was that other teams have experienced injuries that were much more significant than IU's, and they haven't had a horrible season due to them. And were IU's injury issues really that bad?

After all, X was playing horribly before he went down. Statistically that isn't a huge loss, and if Woody was counting on a full season out of X after his injury issues, then that's on Coach. Plus, how could you assume that X was going to be any kind of consistent player? He's never shown that at all while at IU.

Newton isn't an issue. He was hurt in HS and was barely ranked in the top 100 of HS recruits as well. If Woody was counting on anything from Newton this season, then he truly is problematic in his decision-making.

Reneau and Ware have barely missed any games. Leal "missed" some games when he wasn't even getting off the bench. Am I missing anyone else?

Illinois lost their best player for a few games. NW lost their starting guard. Nebraska had their best player miss some time. I'm sure I'm missing others as well.

Woody using injuries as an excuse just proves how little self-awareness he has, and perhaps indicates a bigger problem with his coaching and attitude as well...

Obviously not, but MR really didn't look like he wanted to be there on Sunday. He was having a great season, but recently, I think the frustration is getting to him. I don't see how we recover from a scenario where we lose MM, Ware and MR this spring. Hopefully that does not happen.
I will say this, I would be shocked if we even kept two of them.

If Woodson comes back Liam McNeeley replaces maybe one of them and we have a season replicating 4th year Archie.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
CMW could help himself out with some good moves. He could bring in an assistant that can teach and/or recruit. They can include overseas recruiting and bring in some grown men who are ready to play right now. He could stop with the mass rotations. He can stop the guards leaving shooters. He could coach to the talent of his players and switch things up. Meaning, if you get torched in man to man try something else. He could drop the, "well, you know, I have to help them get over the hump" routine. It's his version of the aw shucks. It's not helping his cause.

Losing is never good but losing with no improvement over an entire season is not acceptable.

Even if Woodson brought someone in to be the real coach, its temporary. Plus, if our head coach needs to bring someone ELSE in just to teach the fundamentals or recruit, then what on earth are we doing having this guy as the HC? IU has top 15 NIL money, top fanbase, home court advantage, tradition, facilities...etc. With the transfer portal, if CMW was good, he could mold his team almost however he would like, each year. There are 0 excuses he can utilize for his team to EVER be this bad even in the old era let alone this one where he was able to completely reload. Yet some within this fanbase want to say, give him another year.

Ok, so let's say he goes out, finds a way to field a semi-competitive roster and they get into the tourney as a 9 seed next season. Mind you, that would apparently require five 5-star recruits to accomplish, btw...but I digress. IU loses in the first round, and we have a couple guys go pro therefore IU is back reloading again. Are we going to be ok with continuing to put CMW as the leader of this team knowing THAT is what we have to look forward to each year? We could have a team like this year or a team like whatever he is about to slop together next year.

The guy needs to be let go at seasons end. If not, this is going to be a BRUTAL 12 months.

I will say this, I would be shocked if we even kept two of them.

If Woodson comes back Liam McNeeley replaces maybe one of them and we have a season replicating 4th year Archie.
Liam McNeeley is not walking through that door.

I was asked what I would do. My claim is what he should do but not what he will do. He should resign but agree small chance either because he is not self honest or not driven by principle and just out to make another buck to the detriment of the IU basketball program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT