ADVERTISEMENT

Say what you want about X

If true, we are living amongst idiots. X makes a serious difference in the whole personality of this team. He a Gallo are actually a pretty formidable backcourt after all.
It's true. Lots of X hate in the premie game thread, at least early in the game. 😂

Now they're bemoaning the win because it helps Woodson's excuses. It wasn't wrong to rely on X, but gotta have backups. No excuse for that.

You are wrong if you think he doesn't change this team. Not an excuse for how bad we have been, but Id bet we are dancing with X healthy all year. Run the table fellas.
I think one of the big criticisms with Woodson was how he bet everything on having a healthy X. He should’ve approached the portal last summer with finding a good and experienced plan B. Instead, he leaves an open scholarship and his judgment was poor.

The final portion of the game had Gallo handling the ball with X playing off ball. Very effective. I was mostly listening and not watching while the 2nd half comeback was happening. Was IU’s offense generally starting with Gallo holding the ball and creating with X off the ball? If so, thats a nice successful adjustment.

You are wrong if you think he doesn't change this team. Not an excuse for how bad we have been, but Id bet we are dancing with X healthy all year. Run the table fellas.
X was not playing all that well before he got injured the first time.

He had a good game today, but he hasn't been consistent during his time at IU.

Let's also not forget that IU beat a bad Maryland team. A win is good, but again, it was Maryland. They're generally a horrible perimeter shooting team. With IU's poor 3pt defense, this is the ideal type of team for IU to play.

You love the guy and I get it. He does make a difference but I think the play of MM was huge today.
Most important was those clowns getting their heads out of their a$$es and protecting the ball the 2nd half.
When their heads are in the game, they're a decent team; but they've been sloppy and lacked a sense of urgency all season.

You may be right. As you point out, still can make the tourney by going on a run. Let's do something we have never done and win the BTT. Defense is suspect and hot damn our turnovers kill us.

The final portion of the game had Gallo handling the ball with X playing off ball. Very effective. I was mostly listening and not watching while the 2nd half comeback was happening. Was IU’s offense generally starting with Gallo holding the ball and creating with X off the ball? If so, thats a nice successful adjustment.
Yes. He was the 3 with Leal at the 2 on some sets. It was interesting to see.

Even X admitted in his after-game interview that he makes head-shaking decisions with the ball. That being said, today was a good day with him on the court, and we won because he helped speed up the game. I saw flashes of GC being a good court general today, so I think he'll be okay once he gets more experience and muscle.

Ran a couple of sequential screens for Gallo that were works of art. The PnRs were stellar with he and ware.
Cupps is a very good defender for his size and experience but he got smoked in the lane a couple of times by young and he had to sit.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Ran a couple of sequential screens for Gallo that were works of art. The PnRs were stellar with he and ware.
Cupps is a very good defender for his size and experience but he got smoked in the lane a couple of times by young and he had to sit.
That’s zoom. Those lob/floaters are open almost 100% of the time. They also screen the outlet shooter on the weak side or screen for mm off of it too. Lots of options if it’s run correctly. It also depends on how it’s defended.

Even X admitted in his after-game interview that he makes head-shaking decisions with the ball. That being said, today was a good day with him on the court, and we won because he helped speed up the game. I saw flashes of GC being a good court general today, so I think he'll be okay once he gets more experience and muscle.
Gabe is going to be very good.

That’s zoom. Those lob/floaters are open almost 100% of the time. They also screen the outlet shooter on the weak side or screen for mm off of it too. Lots of options if it’s run correctly. It also depends on how it’s defended.
MM is not interested or prepared to get to the rim so getting him looks on the perimeter is key for the balance of the season IMO

He's better than Cupps.
But how good is Maryland really ?
He's not as good as that Smith kid in W.L..
I'll stand by that.
I thought we just went threw this..
Two game winning streak late in the season. ..
And now everyone gets giddy.
Win the BTT and go dancing..I'd probably buy in..

Would we better yes how much better with Xavier I say marginal. With Xavier IU is 10-6 this season. If he is healthy all the way I think it's fair to say we're maybe 2-3 wins better 19-13 20-12 right now.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I think one of the big criticisms with Woodson was how he bet everything on having a healthy X. He should’ve approached the portal last summer with finding a good and experienced plan B. Instead, he leaves an open scholarship and his judgment was poor.
"Should have" versus tried and couldn't get the guy(s) are two different things. IMO negative fanbase is always a negative. And NIL $ can't overcome it when "all other things are equal."

Reactions: asindc
He's better than Cupps.
But how good is Maryland really ?
He's not as good as that Smith kid in W.L..
I'll stand by that.
I thought we just went threw this..
Two game winning streak late in the season. ..
And now everyone gets giddy.
Win the BTT and go dancing..I'd probably buy in..
Agree, but a "player of the year x 2) to play with changes that role. Just saying

Reactions: Hatchets7times
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT