ADVERTISEMENT

what has been your lowest point with IU basketball

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
I actually feel depressed tonight over the situation. end of Archie, Davis, and Crean were all bad, but you knew a change was going to made and that gave you hope. we could lose out ,and I think they will bring back Woodson. so where is the hope? Woodson seems to be an awesome person and great ambassador for IU, but he simply cannot compete at a top 3 or 4 level in the BIG , to me that's the baseline.

He is what 64 and it seems like he's an old 64, it's an age where some are still vibrant, but he seems to have very little energy. we never get any calls because he just sits there and takes it. as an example, the Johnson play he just turns his head and mumbles. I don't think it was intentional but can live with the call on X, but what kind of coach wouldn't standup for his player getting intentionally forearmed to the face with no call. If the Rutgers dude decided to punch X in the face would that have been ok . watch Pitinos team at St Johns and see how he coaches, that's an older coach who still has it.

None of us on here are getting any younger, this 3 , 4- or 5-year cycle of dumbass hires. has about ruined the program, IUNorth said he was just going to turn it off, I wish I could just find apathy that would be great. but for some reason this shit literally gets me down.

I actually feel depressed tonight over the situation. end of Archie, Davis, and Crean were all bad, but you knew a change was going to made and that gave you hope. we could lose out ,and I think they will bring back Woodson. so where is the hope? Woodson seems to be an awesome person and great ambassador for IU, but he simply cannot compete at a top 3 or 4 level in the BIG , to me that's the baseline.

He is what 64 and it seems like he's an old 64, it's an age where some are still vibrant, but he seems to have very little energy. we never get any calls because he just sits there and takes it. as an example, the Johnson play he just turns his head and mumbles. I don't think it was intentional but can live with the call on X, but what kind of coach wouldn't standup for his player getting intentionally forearmed to the face with no call. If the Rutgers dude decided to punch X in the face would that have been ok . watch Pitinos team at St Johns and see how he coaches, that's an older coach who still has it.

None of us on here are getting any younger, this 3 , 4- or 5-year cycle of dumbass hires. has about ruined the program, IUNorth said he was just going to turn it off, I wish I could just find apathy that would be great. but for some reason this shit literally gets me down.
The ogre was fired on September 20th, 2000. It has taken different people different amounts of time to realize there is nothing special in the water in Bloomington.

Commercialization of The Hall took place shortly after, recruiting kids that would have never been recruited prior to that date started a few years later. It was at that point that we quit being what we had been for a very long time.

Hiring Woodson was and will never be the problem. In fact, I think it was a good hire.

It takes a long time to shovel all the shit we’ve accumulated

Not a low point, but I remember losing to OSU (thinking it was triple OT, was it Jimmy Jackson , Cheaney , Bailey…..so many cobwebs), and man was I bummed. The KU tourney losses, the Duke loss.

And, now? I just shrug and go to bed. Win or loss.

I guess I just stopped caring as much. My expectations cratered.

The low point would be when that happened, the causes…and that would be a post in and of itself.

This was so predictable when the hire was made. Zero college experience, washed out of the NBA, and 60+ years old, but hey we got an IU guy.
The problem is that IU basketball has such a storied past that it’s difficult to not want to dwell in it.

I suggest a wax museum.

Seriously.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

He'll be 66 in 2 months. This is definitely one of the lowest points since the RMK firing. Only beacon of hope is Dusty May being out there and that's no guarantee.

Reactions: Tru2Irish

wgeb

None of us on here are getting any younger, this 3 , 4- or 5-year cycle of dumbass hires. has about ruined the program, IUNorth said he was just going to turn it off, I wish I could just find apathy that would be great. but for some reason this shit literally gets me dow
when we gutted our program on purpose and hired crean. But then we knew it would take time and it did longer than i expected. Pretty low again now though as we seem to be going the wrong direction once again, Both hires since crean seem to be the same and neither are good.

Not a low point, but I remember losing to OSU (thinking it was triple OT, was it Jimmy Jackson , Cheaney , Bailey…..so many cobwebs), and man was I bummed. The KU tourney losses, the Duke loss.

And, now? I just shrug and go to bed. Win or loss.

I guess I just stopped caring as much. My expectations cratered.

The low point would be when that happened, the causes…and that would be a post in and of itself.
Bingo. I havent cared much since Noah Vonleh year.

For me the absolute low point was the day they hired Sampson given the rumored Beilein interest. Indiana hiring a known cheater was tough. To be honest though, I would have no issue if they hired Sampson today given what college basketball has become. I probably had blinders on then.

The Knight firing was bad but it seemed inevitable at that point. Davis had a couple good years. Crean put together some good teams. Archie was a disaster but that hire had every indication it would be a good one, but that fell apart early losing to Ind state and PU fort wayne. It's interesting that Archie said looking back he would have focused more on recruiting shooters, and then you see how Woodson has missed on them too.

This year is starting to feel like the end of the Allen or Archie eras - I'm losing interest. I forgot they were even playing against Rutgers. Glad I missed it.

I agree with past lows there was future hope. I did not feel Woodson handled X’s speeding arrest sternly enough. I think there was great disagreement with that stance here. To date it seems he has also not dealt with the newest X issue. It is one thing to miss a shot or play poorly. Completely different to be a representative of IU and embarrass the university at a national level.

low point....going back many decades, but Landon's car crash is near top of my list.

RMK pulling the team off the floor vs USSR exhibition game. Previous game was 6 months before- Smart shot and championship.

Regional final loss to KU 1993...knowing Calbert and class would not ever hang a banner (and this began our slow fall from grace)

The entire 1984-85 season.

Crean's first 3 yrs. I rarely even watched.

'Cuse 2013 tourney game....40 minutes of WTF?

Last edited:
low point....going back many decades, but Landon's car crash it near top of my list.

RMK pulling the team off the floor vs USSR exhibition game. Previous game was 6 months before- Smart shot and championship.

Regional final loss to KU 1993...knowing Calbert and class would not ever hang a banner (and this began our slow fall from grace)

The entire 1984-85 season.

Crean's first 3 yrs. I rarely even watched.

'Cuse 2013 tourney game....40 minutes of WTF?
I’m not going back and watching that Syracuse game again but I seem to remember us missing a shitload of open shots. Crean never had a defense but he usually had an offense. Seems like Crean’s best defense was to out score you. We might give up 99, but if we score 100 it doesn’t matter.

I’m not going back and watching that Syracuse game again but I seem to remember us missing a shitload of open shots. Crean never had a defense but he usually had an offense. Seems like Crean’s best defense was to out score you. We might give up 99, but if we score 100 it doesn’t matter.
i know I've said it before, but in the Cuse game, you could tell within the first 2-3 minutes that we were already screwed.

the Johnson play he just turns his head and mumbles. I don't think it was intentional but can live with the call on X, but what kind of coach wouldn't standup for his player getting intentionally forearmed to the face with no call. If the Rutgers dude decided to punch X in the face would that have been ok . watch Pitinos team at St Johns and see how he coaches, that's an older coach who still has it.
The sad thing about the whole incident is, if the Rutgers player hadn't subsequently floored X with an elbow, I don't think the refs would have seen X's forearm up the groin. Even the Peacock announcers were expecting a possible fragrant foul on the Rutgers player's retaliation. The only way the refs noticed it was in slow motion monitor after the fact. Incredulously, the refs got so wrapped up in their pending Fragrant 1 or 2 decision, they totally bypassed the subsequent intentional foul on Rutgers which was just as egregious. They both should have been ejected, if anyone. I don't think the whistle was blown until after X was floored, but I don't know for sure. There was such a tangle of bodies it was difficult to determine what was what before the retaliation elbow to X's head. Those who hate X and/or IU are saying X grabbed his nuts, but if that were the case, the guy would have been bent over in pain, like only a blow to the nuts can do. The player in question didn't act like I do when my dangling testicles are spontaneously compressed.

My lowest point was when Kentucky beat IU in the Midwest Regional Final to advance to the Final Four in 1975. I was at that game in Dayton and it was a long ride home. Second lowest point was hearing the news of Landon Turner's career ending auto accident. Third lowest, getting beat my Maryland in the Finals after being tied with 7 min. left. I really, really wanted them to finish that one off with a national championship banner. I was down on Sanibel Island, FL at the time and it ruined our vacation not only for me, but for those who had to be around me.

My lowest point was when Kentucky beat IU in the Midwest Regional Final to advance to the Final Four in 1975. I was at that game in Dayton and it was a long ride home. Second lowest point was hearing the news of Landon Turner's career ending auto accident. Third lowest, getting beat my Maryland in the Finals after being tied with 7 min. left. I really, really wanted them to finish that one off with a national championship banner. I was down on Sanibel Island, FL at the time and it ruined our vacation not only for me, but for those who had to be around me.
abraxis,
that 75 regional was tuff. but at least one of the major polls ranked IU #1 after the tournament. which we further validated the next season.

Lowest point was Sept. 10, 2000 when Knight was fired.

Other low points:
During the 84-85 season ending the season with consecutive losses to MSU and UM. Indiana had a shot at staying 0.500 in conference and they blew it. Came down to a Gary Grant bucket if I remember.
)losses to Cleveland St.(86), Richmond(88), Colorado (97), and Pepperdine (00) in first round NCAA tourney games. All highly disappointing games. The 85 loss in the NIT final to UCLA was tough too because they finally had built something, then poof.

I would add that the 92 loss at Purdue and the 96 home loss to Purdue were both really disappointing as well, but unfortunately that was when high expectations were the norm.
)the Wilkerson headbutt incident. Inexcusable and certainly on purpose.
)the day we found out Recker had escaped in the night. That was a down day. Knight was under pressure about being too hard on kids, and it continued with Collier and Reed. He finally had that solved going into the 00-01 season, before poof!
)Loss to Vanderbilt in the NIT under Davis when Marshall Strickland was a senior and just stood there dribbling because he didn't know what to do on offense.
)Hiring Kelvin Sampson, and then finding out that the inevitable cheating had occurred.
)Loss to Lipscomb at home in Creans first year 08-09 because it came at home after a loss to Northeastern- which basically meant the brand new team IU had was terrible.

)The home loss to Michigan in Iggy Brazdekis' one year, because, if not for Al Durham finally hitting a few shots, I'm not sure IU was going to score in the first half.
)The home loss to Nebraska when Romeo and Race and all of them just gave up in 2019. It seemed like they might not win another game all year at that point.
)in the Woodson era, the most disappointing losses, in my opinion have been the trifecta of Iowa, NW, PSU last year, and then the Auburn game this year when they just didn't try. The Rutgers game is also very disappointing in that they needed to beat either Nebraska or Rutgers to have any shot this year, and now the whole season rests on the Minnesota game. They lose that one and it's over.

I forgot about that, but it was a bittersweet #1 at the time, offering little consolation.
No consolation whatsoever. I was a junior in hs and basically went into a bad mood for about a year until they got their ultimate revenge. Still pisses me off they didn’t go back to back undefeated. Maybe these idiot kids running around now would understand what we had.

Reactions: abraxis

1) Knight firing
2) Sampson hiring
3) Davis last three years
4) 2nd half of Miller’s 4th season
5) officiating in IU’s Final Four loss to Duke

wgeb

when we gutted our program on purpose and hired crean. But then we knew it would take time and it did longer than i expected. Pretty low again now though as we seem to be going the wrong direction once again, Both hires since crean seem to be the same and neither are good.
Why does this myth persist? Sampson ruined the program, and IU couldn’t have kept Sampson even if they wanted to.

Both of those should have been in my list too.

Don’t respond then dude. Good grief, glad you are happy with the program
I graduated from IU. I have high expectations for the team. I have some skin in the game so to speak. You just picked a winning basketball program to cheer for so the "we" thing is an irritant.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I graduated from IU. I have high expectations for the team. I have some skin in the game so to speak. You just picked a winning basketball program to cheer for so the "we" thing is an irritant.
Oh stop, congrats on you graduating from Iu. I am an Indiana resident who has been an Iu fan since I was 5. I have a bachelors from NKU and master from IWU. I couldn’t care less if you think I’m less than a fan than you because you graduated from there.

Oh stop, congrats on you graduating from Iu. I am an Indiana resident who has been an Iu fan since I was 5. I have a bachelors from NKU and master from IWU. I couldn’t care less if you think I’m less than a fan than you because you graduated from there.
I was guessing Northern Kentucky. Is IWU Indiana Wesleyan?

I’ve been a Cowboys fan since I was 7 or 8 because the first game I remember watching was the Cowboys while visiting family in Texas. Grew up in Cincinnati Reds country during the Big Red Machine era so I’ve been a Reds fan my entire life. Was an IU fan as a kid and really only wanted to attend IU. The only team I ever say “we” with is IU. Maybe it’s just a me thing. I don’t know, but it’s a thing that irks me a bit.

I was guessing Northern Kentucky. Is IWU Indiana Wesleyan?

I’ve been a Cowboys fan since I was 7 or 8 because the first game I remember watching was the Cowboys while visiting family in Texas. Grew up in Cincinnati Reds country during the Big Red Machine era so I’ve been a Reds fan my entire life. Was an IU fan as a kid and really only wanted to attend IU. The only team I ever say “we” with is IU. Maybe it’s just a me thing. I don’t know, but it’s a thing that irks me a bit.
Idk a fan is a fan. My son is he not allowed to be a fan? He is 10

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT