ADVERTISEMENT

Democracy in Peril

I don't know how to articulate it; nor do I know how to punish same, but if there is evidence of perpetuating untruths related to voter fraud, by way of text messages, whatever, there ought to be consequences for same. At no point do I think Jan 6 was a coup. I think it was a bunch of nutjobs who turned into a mob and fell victim to mob psychology and acted irresponsibly as they were caught in a moment. Perpetuating mass voter fraud without material evidence of same is far worse imo
The mob was bad, and they should all be prosecuted, but as I've already said, they were doomed to failure from the start. More worrisome to me is the fact that we had elected officials endorsing the idea that Pence should unilaterally reject electoral certificates in order to prevent Biden winning. Jim Jordan probably didn't break any laws when he sent that text, but the act of doing so was still a far greater threat to democracy than anything the mob did while they were storming the capitol.

Would you be willing to go after Trump for incitement?
I like what @bawlmer said re his status (paraphrasing). If he's a private citizen and out I think it's a waste of resources. If he demonstrates intent of holding public office again I think an investigation is justified and like all things turns on the evidence

Democrats tried to stop the 2004 certification because of Diebold voting machines.
I understand. I don't think this is an issue unique to the Pubs, but it should be dealt with where appropriate. As an aside I actually was flown down to Fort Lauderdale and offered a job with the firm who represented Bush in the 2000 hanging chads debacle. The main lawyer was/is an IU guy. He's still practicing down there.

I would support making it unlawful for a sitting or defeated President to make unsubstantiated allegations of voting fraud to cast doubt on an election outcome. Let the courts decide what is substantiated. Trump has established a truly perilous precedent.
No fricken way. Not ever. Such a law would finish us. We are strong enough to overcome that BS without making it illegal. You haven’t learned a damn thing from January 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
There is absolutely no way any mob could prevent the certification. To believe that was a threat is to not understand the strength of our system.

A while ago we had a thread about armed insurrection. I said that can’t happen. That was then this is now. Serious Democrats are proposing to drag out the 14th amendment insurrection disqualification to prevent some GOP members from running. If that happens, there will be guns and we are finished. The Democrats are going stark raving nuts.
My biggest fear a year ago was that someone was going to drive a truck loaded with weapons up to the Capitol. It could have happened easily, and suddenly we have an armed occupation. Our system, as you call it, wouldn't be worth much at that point. It then all comes down to whether we could rely on our military.

My only point is that prudence calls for a serious assessment of the causes of Jan 6 and actions/laws as necessary to prevent future such actions.

Last edited:
I would support making it unlawful for a sitting or defeated President to make unsubstantiated allegations of voting fraud to cast doubt on an election outcome. Let the courts decide what is substantiated. Trump has established a truly perilous precedent.
To hell with the 1st Amendment!

Reactions: Lucy01
It doesn't protect you from yelling fire in a crowded theater.
That old canard? Whatever speech you don't like, you would declare it to be dangerous.

Thankfully, sober people realize what a disaster that would be.

My biggest fear a year ago was that someone was going to drive a truck loaded with weapons up to the Capitol. It could have happened easily, and suddenly we have an armed occupation. Our system, as you call it, wouldn't be worth much at that point. It then all comes down to whether we could rely on our military.

My only point is that prudence calls for a serious assessment of the causes of Jan 6 and actions/laws as necessary to prevent future such actions. then
A total destruction of the Capitol can’t stop it. We’ve got all the systems and laws necessary. Those January 6 people who broke the law will be dealt with. The Pelosi committee is BS. Congress is not a criminal justice agency, but it thinks it is. Yet another blow to Democracy.

A total destruction of the Capitol can’t stop it. We’ve got all the systems and laws necessary. Those January 6 people who broke the law will be dealt with. The Pelosi committee is BS. Congress is not a criminal justice agency, but it thinks it is. Yet another blow to Democracy.

Does Congress not have investigatory power?

Elected officials actively sought ways to undermine the electoral process. That's right in Congress' purview, whether you like it or not. The committee is not a blow to democracy. The blow to democracy was dealt by the people who are trying to avoid the well-deserved scrutiny of the committee.

Reactions: UncleMark
You don't think our system is strong enough to resist Democrats?

No it's not. Referrals is the extent of their power. That's probably a good thing with how stupid so many of these people are - but it should have been something substantive with bipartisan representation.

I don't think Democrats honor our system any more than Republicans, and we've seen evidence of same repeatedly in Biden's first year in office. Their actions in undermining law enforcement, the judicial system, and the constitution are every bit as reprehensible.

We have really bad government leaders at this station in time

I don't think Democrats honor our system any more than Republicans, and we've seen evidence of same repeatedly in Biden's first year in office. Their actions in undermining law enforcement, the judicial system, and the constitution are ever bit as reprehensible
I just find it curious that CoH points to the strength of our system to resist violent attacks on Congress, but worries if our democracy can survive Joe Biden.

I don’t know. The 14th doesn’t say who gets to make the disqualification decision. SCOTUS has been highly deferential to Congress to determine who can be a member of Congress. Our system depends on the good faith of our officials. The Democrats have been exploiting their slim majorities against the will of the people in a number of ways. Given the level of hate the Democrats have, I think there is a good possibility they will invoke the insurrection disqualification clause.

I just find it curious that CoH points to the strength of our system to resist violent attacks on Congress, but worries if our democracy can survive Joe Biden.
Personally I don't see any difference between the two parties - only the manner of attack and the targets. I don't ever remember it so bad, but maybe I didn't pay as much attention. My job now is easier and allows more free time. And maybe more news access. I don't know

That’s right. Biden has a compliant press providing cover and a cabal of hate mongers in Congress propping him up. Biden is a much more insidious and deeper danger than Buffalo man sitting on Pelosi’s throne.

He doesn't even try to maintain any logical consistency anymore. Now it's all long winded Dems=bad Pubs=good amid some fancy verbiage.

Last edited:
This opinion piece is guaranteed to rile up the Trump cultists here who will, no doubt, respond with mocking criticism of one-term Jimmy (ignoring, of course, that their hero, a two-time popular vote loser, was also a one-term president). But I'd love to hear any of them explain where and how Carter is wrong in his assessment.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and jet812
This opinion piece is guaranteed to rile up the Trump cultists here who will, no doubt, respond with mocking criticism of one-term Jimmy (ignoring, of course, that their hero, a two-time popular vote loser, was also a one-term president). But I'd love to hear any of them explain where and how Carter is wrong in his assessment.

Weak.

"We have charlatans, like the former president, in my view, who don't care about democracy and only care about power." -US District Court Judge Walton, Apr 14, 2022.

And while virtually the entire world has condemned Putin, Trump still can't bring himself to do it.

Yet he remains the front-runner for the nomination in '24. Amazing.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01

What is it like going through life being an ignorant fool everyday?

Reactions: bailey777 and DANC
As long as garbage democrats are in office The country is in peril
Boy both Herschel and Trump far more popular than Kurt's dem buddies. I wonder how Kurt will spin all of this especially given his gal Harris will likely be who the dems run in 2024 as Biden is not running. I mean I guess Kurt can just come out name calling and call us cult lovers etc maybe even with a late night rant!

@Maximus_4EVR 🌵
FYI Election 2024 Update

Trump 43%
Biden 38%

Trump 44%
Harris 35%

Per Redfield and Wilton Strategies.

-Yet, another poll showing Trump defeating Biden or Harris by a lot.

-Note nearly every national poll for the 2024 popular vote, shows Biden and Harris stuck in the 30s. The RCP Avg is a Trump +4 victory.

-No POTUS has ever won reelection with 1) Approvals in the low-40s and 2) In head-to-head matches, polling in the 30s.

Reactions: dbmhoosier and DANC
As long as garbage democrats are in office The country is in peril
I'm not a Dem and never have been. I'm an ex-Republican who opposes Trump. I'm sure that makes me worse than a Dem in the eyes of some here.

It looks like you're averaging about a post per year. That's no doubt a good thing.

• Haha
I'm not a Dem and never have been. I'm an ex-Republican who opposes Trump. I'm sure that makes me worse than a Dem in the eyes of some here.

It looks like you're averaging about a post per year. That's no doubt a good thing.
LMAO! A Republican who hates Trump and supports Democrat policies.

Yeah, you sound like a real Republican.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT