ADVERTISEMENT

Daily Show on Critical Race Theory

Why would it matter? Why would you be more likely to buy Air Jordan's from a Black hand than you would iPods?
You are suggesting consumers are white. I don’t think in those terms. We aren’t going to see ethnic hair care products advertised by white people. I don’t think that’s because of racism.

Reactions: stollcpa
A different point of view if curious.

My take, it's not about making white people feel like racists, it's attempting to understand how racism has impacted our history.

Similar to how Germany discusses the rise of Nazis. They don't whitewash it or glorify it, they simply try to inform how and why things came to be so we can learn.

Enjoy.

History taught by a talk show host.

Maybe a perfect metaphor for this failed generation. Nay, for the modern left.

Let’s cut to the chase and save a decade:

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Republican Party?

Ranger, you are letting your emotions control you on this topic. The study Marvin mentioned does strongly suggest latent racial bias. You should do better than simply angrily reject it.

There are a lot of studies that show latent bias. Even Blacks are likely to view light skin better than dark skin, one such study is below. For this sort of racism there is a pretty natural explanation. A part of the brain that controls fight or flight, the amygdala, is one of the oldest parts of the human brain. It carries out a pretty simple mission, determine if something potentially dangerous. Obviously it doesn't have complex algorithms, we don't want to have the bear kill us while we wait to determine if it is dangerous. So it falls back into some pretty simple patterns and one is "how much is this thing I am seeing like me".

Now we have higher level functions that can override the amygdala. And if given time most people do. Some choose not to and those people present a problem that we all agree on. it is this second issue that is far trickier in that I suspect almost every single human is subject to it. It may not matter in a McDonalds tv commercial, there isn't a competing commercial on. But in a Craig's list or an Ebay the visual cue of a White arm right next to another ad with a Black arm may well be significant in where someone clicks without them even knowing it. I don't have a great answer for this sort of racism except that I think our brains will get better trained as time goes by.

Oh, and conservatives tend to have larger amygdalas. https://www.scientificamerican.com/...eral-brains-might-have-some-real-differences/

Reactions: hatchetdad
Ranger, you are letting your emotions control you on this topic. The study Marvin mentioned does strongly suggest latent racial bias. You should do better than simply angrily reject it.
Perhaps. But color me not surprised at the results when they state things that are obvious like:

“The disparity was most pronounced when the ads were posted in locales with high crime rates or where blacks and whites were geographically isolated from each other.”

Boy that’s shocking that people don’t trust ads from crimey areas. Or it also means that those shoppers are also living in high crime areas and can’t pay as much. Have you considered that?

Where is the data? How do they know the buyers’ races?

the article stinks.

Of course the fact I think he’s garbage is tied to political affiliation.🙄. You are completely void of original thought & a simpleton. Quit being such a bigot.
Just because you're an idiot and a bigot doesn't make it so for others. You might want to look up what the word means ;)

Just because you're an idiot and a bigot doesn't make it so for others. You might want to look up what the word means ;)

a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Yep, you are the exact personification of this. Looks like one of us knows what it means😉😉😉

A different point of view if curious.

My take, it's not about making white people feel like racists, it's attempting to understand how racism has impacted our history.

Similar to how Germany discusses the rise of Nazis. They don't whitewash it or glorify it, they simply try to inform how and why things came to be so we can learn.

Enjoy.

Thanks for posting. I agree that we should teach kids about the history of slavery and racism in the United States. I grew up in rural Indiana in the 70s and 80s and learned about this at a poorer school. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone who attended a public school that did not have that in their curriculum, and I spent 6 years living in Texas. I seem to remember watching debates and discussions about civil rights for black people for as long as I've been alive--from Firing Line on PBS to Nightline on ABC. For schools that don't teach this, they should.

FWIW, regarding your and Noah's reference to the Germans, a bit of hearsay and anecdotal rebuttal: my best friend (also an IU) grad lived in Germany and Austria for 5 years during the 2010s. He had several discussions with people (who were in their 30s and 40s) about the shame and guilt that were directly or indirectly taught to them about WW 2 and the Holocaust. It sounded like it wasn't just "informing" and "learning."

Indeed, Noah says at the end of his piece that the purpose of teaching history is to enable people to change things "in a better direction." I think he's setting up a false dichotomy about why history is taught, though, and a straw man about the "other" choice (making people feel good about their country that has no problems, I believe was his description) that he sets in opposition to his view.

Does anyone else think it highly unlikely that only 8% of high school seniors understand that the Civil War was fought over slavery? That stat is from a "survey" run by the Southern Povery Law Center, hardly an unbiased organization. It strikes me as facially absurd. I just asked my 11 and 13 year olds separately "what do you know about the Civil War?" Both immediately said it was the war fought over slavery. But I'll admit I am continually amazed at people's ignorance and actions, so my skepticism could be misplaced.

a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Yep, you are the exact personification of this. Looks like one of us knows what it means😉😉😉

Yes, because I think your views are idiotic that makes me a bigot.

Ok, well since you don't like my views, based on your logic, that makes you a bigot. ;) You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Racism is part of every culture. Why do you think the Chinese can't stand the Japanese? Why do you think different tribes in Africa hate each other so much? It's part of the human condition and was invented by western culture and certainly not by America alone. When we look at the different African tribes and the Chinese and Japanese we can't necessarily see the differences. It's a cultural thing. But those groups see the differences between each other and it is racism.

I agree with this and I'm looking forward to when we can be honest about it.

I think Marv posted that in the UK they are much more open about it.

To me when you get to that level it's easier to not only discuss but to recognize when it is adversely effecting your judgement.

For example I have not seen this talked about at all....did you feel the sigh of relief when the news broke that we hired Matta after Woodson was announced?

I was personally uncomfortable that that was my initial reaction (being honest).

Of course I told myself that I was uncomfortable with Woodson's lack of college experience but I'd be lying to myself if other common stereotypes didn't get into my head....players coach means not a cerebral coach, low energy, etc but when Matta was announced I immediately felt better because he was going to help aid our new coach.

I took a step back and thought....woah, that was kinda racist of my ass.

I've seen that thought repeated a ton of times on our boards (many saying they felt better that we hired Matta) and the only talking head I heard point out the kindof racy part of that thought was Dakich, who was angry that Matta was getting any pub.

Woodson is part of the family and that's the pov Dakich is coming from.

My point is, if we fail to be able to identify racism, I don't believe it's because it simply doesn't exist anymore.

I believe it just makes us ignorant of it.

Reactions: UncleMark
Thats not what I said and I implied the exact opposite.

I’m very big on the marketplace of ideas. i have no problem with a better understanding of history. Ideas and history embedd in the 1619 project (which many historians dispute; but that is for another post) need to be taught for what they are—history. The point is that the 1619 project does not address fixing the problem of Black underachievement today and IMO impedes it.

I agree with this point. The problem is that this is not how educrats and corporate wonks apply CRT. It’s applied in a highly divisive way.

So what? While we’d all like to have a better understanding of all history, the civil war isn’t vital to fixing why Blacks don’t get good jobs or why so many black males shoot each other every week. And the civil war being just about slavery is a gross oversimplification. The war produced the 14th Amendment which changed our system of government more than the 13th. Look again at the Gettysburg Address and what Lincoln said about why we had a war.
Even more instructive is what Lincoln said in his "house divided" speech in 1858, (one year after the Dred Scott decision; two years before Ft. Sumter) identifying national tensions which seemed to make a war inevitable:

"A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved—I do not expect the house to fall—but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward till it shall become alike lawful in all the States, old as well as new, North as well as South.

Last edited:
Continuing to blame everything (which is what CRT does) on Racism! is a guarantee the country will not be better next year or the year after. Racists should be spotlighted and dealt with. But not CRT’s or BLM’s definition of racists - as that’s anybody who doesn’t eschew their communist doctrine.

This rhetoric is dangerous and is directly linked with billions of dollars of damage and lives ruined - both physically and financially - from rioting over instances that the usual suspects blame on Racism!

I don't think CRT blames everything on racism, I believe it discusses how racism impacted our history.

The age old question is about the POV. As Obi Wan said, everything can be framed from a certain POV.

I've heard really compelling cases as the jedi were the villian of the Star Wars story. I also heard a great case that the Joker in TDK was the actual hero of the story (he exposed the corruption in the police and politics while singlehandedly destroyed the mob).

Anyway each point of view enlightens me a little more.

Recently Mayor now SEC Pete said that racism helped shape the interstate highway system and he got lit up. Then he got redeemed when people were enlightened that yeah, governments of the fifties purposely by imminent domain took and tore down primarily lower income and minority properties to build the highway, many times creating a barrier between black and white neighborhoods that exist today.

I did not know that and it gives me a pov I didn't have before.

When I was wrapping up at Kelley in my last semester and already placed I took some 'casual' classes to wrap up. One was 'American History from a Business Perspective' and Ho Lee Shit....it was AMAZING.

It explained pretty much everything. Why we were an industrial nation and not an agricultural like Jefferson wanted, which made the north much more prosperous than the south who also depended on slave labor for their prosperity that the didn't need so they were like hey, you need to stop doing that. The south was f you that will kill us economically.

It explained manifest destiny, why we basically eliminated the Native Americans, why we were in such a rush to build the nation so we needed immigrant labor vs waiting on natural population by the colonists which is why we are so diverse etc.

It was an amazing class that most importantly to my dumb ass explained how things came to be from a business pov.

I was a much better informed person from that class.

I believe CRT is in the same vein.

I've also seen how powerful a pov is from the daughters of the confederacy.

The target with this is not tomorrow, it really is for the generation being born right now.

What POV will they grow up with?

My voting history was....(born in 1970).

Bush, Perot, Perot, Gore, didn't vote out of not liking either, Obama, Obama, Clinton, Biden.

As I made more money and started paying attention to the market I voted republican legislation and democratic president.

After Trump and what the republican party has evolved into I'll probably never pull that lever again until Trumpism is eradicated.

I don't think CRT blames everything on racism, I believe it discusses how racism impacted our history.

The age old question is about the POV. As Obi Wan said, everything can be framed from a certain POV.

I've heard really compelling cases as the jedi were the villian of the Star Wars story. I also heard a great case that the Joker in TDK was the actual hero of the story (he exposed the corruption in the police and politics while singlehandedly destroyed the mob).

Recently Mayor now SEC Pete said that racism helped shape the interstate highway system and he got lit up. Then he got redeemed when people were enlightened that yeah, governments of the fifties purposely by imminent domain took and tore down primarily lower income and minority properties to build the highway, many times creating a barrier between black and white neighborhoods that exist today.

When I was wrapping up at Kelley in my last semester and already placed I took some 'casual' classes to wrap up. One was 'American History from a Business Perspective' and Ho Lee Shit....it was AMAZING.

It explained pretty much everything. Why we were an industrial nation and not an agricultural like Jefferson wanted, which made the north much more prosperous than the south who also depended on slave labor for their prosperity that the didn't need so they were like hey, you need to stop doing that. The south was f you that will kill us economically.

It explained manifest destiny, why we basically eliminated the Native Americans, why we were in such a rush to build the nation so we needed immigrant labor vs waiting on natural population by the colonists which is why we are so diverse etc.

It was an amazing class that most importantly to my dumb ass explained how things came to be from a business pov.

The target with this is not tomorrow, it really is for the generation being born right now.

Ranger has kind of gone round the bend on this topic, but if he were to take a breath and drink a cup of tea, and calmly flesh his concerns out, I think there is at least one really important one in there. If conservatives can be so easily convinced that CRT is something other than it is, if commentators like Joy Reid can so easily misinterpret it, then what's to stop some civics teacher from presenting it incorrectly?

You are right about what CRT actually is and is not. Conservatives are attacking a bogeyman. But is the bogeyman truly nonexistent? If we look at people who actually study CRT professionally, yes, of course. But if we look at people who might misapply CRT in other settings, especially primary education, perhaps there is some worry there.

I don't like it when Ranger or CO.H claims that CRT accuses all white people of being racist. But that worries me far less than the well-intentioned high school history teacher making the same mistake.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I saw a good article on that topic about I 70 and I 65 being built through Indy.

Reactions: TommyCracker

If the "Republican Party" continues to force "Republicans" like Cheney out of the "Party" merely for failing to obey Trump while she supports all the "Republican" principles, that will become a fair question to ask. The apparent Republican trend is to have no more independent thinkers like the Boehners, Flakes, Kasiches or William F. Buckleys.

Republicans might not even know anymore what a principle is, as signalled by the Mooresville Town Council this week, when it approved a resolution condemning "cancel culture".

The resolution's sponsor said he didn't want to see people punished for "political speech."

Do you think he would apply this to the "political speech" of Liz Cheney?

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Ranger has kind of gone round the bend on this topic, but if he were to take a breath and drink a cup of tea, and calmly flesh his concerns out, I think there is at least one really important one in there. If conservatives can be so easily convinced that CRT is something other than it is, if commentators like Joy Reid can so easily misinterpret it, then what's to stop some civics teacher from presenting it incorrectly?

You are right about what CRT actually is and is not. Conservatives are attacking a bogeyman. But is the bogeyman truly nonexistent? If we look at people who actually study CRT professionally, yes, of course. But if we look at people who might misapply CRT in other settings, especially primary education, perhaps there is some worry there.

I don't like it when Ranger or CO.H claims that CRT accuses all white people of being racist. But that worries me far less than the well-intentioned high school history teacher making the same mistake.

Agree that this is definitely not grade school stuff as it's way too heavy of a topic.

But I do think it's a topic that needs to be discussed because I believe it has had a much bigger influence that many want to admit and a better understanding of it will bind us stronger as a society as we hopefully become a more understanding and empathetic society.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

Again as I’ve told goat. Whatever CRT is supposed to be is not how it plays out. It’s being taught by imbeciles and won’t help.

Again as I’ve told goat. Whatever CRT is supposed to be is not how it plays out. It’s being taught by imbeciles and won’t help.

Curious on how you know that?

I ask because this is around the third school curriculum topic that you've been more confident in discussing than normal....are you in the system.

I'm not so I have no idea what or how something is being taught.

Curious on how you know that?

I ask because this is around the third school curriculum topic that you've been more confident in discussing than normal....are you in the system.

I'm not so I have no idea what or how something is being taught.
I closely monitor what our school district is teaching our kids - I talk about their days in school constantly. CRT won’t happen in my district - it’s too conservative even though it’s a liberal metro county.

There is a wealth of information and leaked memos all over Twitter showing school plans and their ideas behind CRT. Much of it is about acknowledging whiteness and the implications of such. Much of it is the usual woke bullshit about race essentialism. It typically hasn’t spread to the burbs but it’s all over the urban schools. It will lead to tribalism and more bigotry and do nothing of value.

Ugh, you've been reading propaganda.

You need to stop. That stuff will rot your brain.
How so buddy? The endgame of CRT and BLM is equality of outcome and a collective. That’s quite Marxist wouldn’t you say?

Also, I’ve got Colors as the song of the year - what do you have?

I closely monitor what our school district is teaching our kids - I talk about their days in school constantly. CRT won’t happen in my district - it’s too conservative even though it’s a liberal metro county.

There is a wealth of information and leaked memos all over Twitter showing school plans and their ideas behind CRT. Much of it is about acknowledging whiteness and the implications of such. Much of it is the usual woke bullshit about race essentialism. It typically hasn’t spread to the burbs but it’s all over the urban schools. It will lead to tribalism and more bigotry and do nothing of value.
I don't see how CRT would influence the use of race essentialism. Aspects of whiteness, perhaps, peripherally.

How so buddy? The endgame of CRT and BLM is equality of outcome and a collective. That’s quite Marxist wouldn’t you say?

Also, I’ve got Colors as the song of the year - what do you have?
By repeating the same thing that Russian, pro whack job right and pro-nationalistic bots, trolls, and intelligence officers repeat. I know it sucks but that's the game being played and you're helping them. There's no strict BLM guideline of political affiliation. There may even be Republicans among them.

So, stop.

You can say the same thing you just said without referring to BLM as communists. They're not. Just as the GOP is in a majority not Nazis, though a small loud minority are. Or mentioning "woke" or a myriad of other vague talking points, slogans and dog whistles used by propagandists, that are basically weaponized misinformation meant to divide and cause more chaos.

Things were bad then. Things are not that bad now. Stop acting like we are still in the 1950's.
Thank god we’ve learned something. But the point of this whole thing is that we need to recognize that there is still work to do. It’s not over, so stop sweeping it under the rug and acting like America is hunky dory.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
By repeating the same thing that Russian, pro whack job right and pro-nationalistic bots, trolls, and intelligence officers repeat. I know it sucks but that's the game being played and you're helping them. There's no strict BLM guideline of political affiliation. There may even be Republicans among them.

So, stop.

You can say the same thing you just said without referring to BLM as communists. They're not. Just as the GOP is in a majority not Nazis, though a small loud minority are. Or mentioning "woke" or a myriad of other vague talking points, slogans and dog whistles used by propagandists, that are basically weaponized misinformation meant to divide and cause more chaos.
Christ on a rocket, TMP.

THE FOUNDERS OF BLM ARE ADMITTED MARXISTS. READ
THE MISSION STATEMENT - IT REEKS OF MARXIST TONES.

the rest of your post is excellent grammar above complete nonsense. Woke is your word that’s been turned against you because those that used “woke” are idiot lunatics hellbent on nihilistic attempts to destroy the greatest country that ever existed.

So, stop.

Wow...if this isn't the biggest collection of political buzzwords in two paragraphs....

Pure drivel.

Teaching that all white people are racist, whether in public school or in anti-racism training for public or private employers is not a “mistake”. It’s deliberate. It might not meet your definition of CRT, but if that is what CRT has come to mean in common usage, that’s what it means.

The mistake of course lies in the notion that race determines destiny and race is predictive of behavior. That is nonsense.

Teaching that all white people are racist, whether in public school or in anti-racism training for public or private employers is not a “mistake”. It’s deliberate. It might not meet your definition of CRT, but if that is what CRT has come to mean in common usage, that’s what it means.

The mistake of course lies in the notion that race determines destiny and race is predictive of behavior. That is nonsense.
The mistake lies in imagining you have anything useful to add. Go away.

Reactions: cosmickid
ADVERTISEMENT