ADVERTISEMENT

Crossroads Classic Ends after this season

Haven't seen Bobinski make a statement about it. Can you provide a link? Purdue bball does just fine financially. Doesn't rely on iu.
Read his comments in the J&C. Didn't say they rely on IU, but they have been the beneficiciary of this IU event since day one. Time for IU to stop sharing equally in an event they drive 80% of the revenue for.

Read his comments in the J&C. Didn't say they rely on IU, but they have been the beneficiciary of this IU event since day one. Time for IU to stop sharing equally in an event they drive 80% of the revenue for.
Purdue doesn't rely on iu to fund their bball program. Nor does the athletic department. Football drives almost every athletic department in America. Which is why it gets the biggest investment typically. Purdue wanted to see the event continue because it's a fun event for instate teams.

Purdue doesn't rely on iu to fund their bball program. Nor does the athletic department. Football drives almost every athletic department in America. Which is why it gets the biggest investment typically. Purdue wanted to see the event continue because it's a fun event for instate teams.
That's not what he said. This event is essentially a home game for IU. I would imagine anywhere from 70-80% of the revenue generated at the gate comes from IU but IU only receives a quarter of it. IU would be better off playing a home game or playing a single game event against a bigger program.

Read my post and try again

Read my post and try again
Which part? The part where bobinski is sobbing because iu makes all the money at the event? Implying Bobinski is upset about losing a a miniscule amount of money. So little he probably doesn't have to adjust the books?

Which part? The part where bobinski is sobbing because iu makes all the money at the event? Implying Bobinski is upset about losing a a miniscule amount of money. So little he probably doesn't have to adjust the books?
WTF? No...post 41

You want me to engage with you, you need to be prepared and read up. Good God.

And it isn't "miniscule" or he wouldn't be making the bitter comments he is.

Reactions: 76-1 and indiana ed
And yet we still provided you, Notre Dame, and Butler more than their fair share. Considering you have one of the smallest athletic budgets in the Big Ten, your admins should be soaking up all the free money they can.

Reactions: 76-1
And yet we still provided you, Notre Dame, and Butler more than their fair share. Considering you have one of the smallest athletic budgets in the Big Ten, your admins should be soaking up all the free money they can.
not to mention the exposure that the event brought them. They can't do their own events in Indy so this was perfect.

WTF? No...post 41

You want me to engage with you, you need to be prepared and read up. Good God.

And it isn't "miniscule" or he wouldn't be making the bitter comments he is.
How much it worth vs an entire athletic department? Hint? Basketball doesn't come close to football.

not to mention the exposure that the event brought them. They can't do their own events in Indy so this was perfect.
How much more exposure does Purdue need? Honest question. Nothing changes for them with the loss of this event. But you keep acting like it changes everything. Recruiting? No. Budget? No. Quality of competition? Probs not.

How much it worth vs an entire athletic department? Hint? Basketball doesn't come close to football.
Are you high or just this dense?

IU's coat tails was a valuable ride. Exposure that PU cannot get on it's own. And they freaking got paid for the privledge. The only way I continue this event is to charge PU and ND a substantial entry fee and split the profits with Butler 75/25 It's over Dude.

Either way; you are done.

I think that was a UCLA thing at a neutral site in California.

ETA: Wooden Tradition was the name. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
It started in California but they moved it to Indy and always included PU. They had such lackluster attendance, they had to schedule teams like us and Louisville to sell tickets.

How much more exposure does Purdue need? Honest question. Nothing changes for them with the loss of this event. But you keep acting like it changes everything. Recruiting? No. Budget? No. Quality of competition? Probs not.
Holy smokes man. Obviously a decent amount of money Purdue will no longer be raking in. If it’s no big deal, why publicly talk about it.

Holy smokes man. Obviously a decent amount of money Purdue will no longer be raking in. If it’s no big deal, why publicly talk about it.
It's miniscule in the athletic budget though. How much did it make for each program? Since you act like it funds a major portion of the basketball program, how much it make per school? And again, exposure? Na. Purdue gets plenty each year. Purdue dominates instate recruiting. Cross roads is probably the 5th best non con game Purdue plays this year in exposure. Football drives the athletic program, hence the investment. But tell me where I'm being dense again?

Lastly, what's Bobinski supposed to say? Ya. We are glad it's over. We are head over heals better than ever other program there in my tenure and we can play much better opponents, probably at home, where we will sell out and collect more money.

At present, Purdue might have the better program, but IU still drives the machine.
Purdue has enjoyed being the better team for the past few years. IU is head and shoulders the bigger program with a national presence.

IU can drive a major event, PU has failed to have a successful event in Indy. IU gave PU the opportunity for exposure and a payday.

Time for IU to move on to bigger and better events. Good luck to the other three programs...and you are welcome.

It's miniscule in the athletic budget though. How much did it make for each program? Since you act like it funds a major portion of the basketball program, how much it make per school? And again, exposure? Na. Purdue gets plenty each year. Purdue dominates instate recruiting. Cross roads is probably the 5th best non con game Purdue plays this year in exposure. Football drives the athletic program, hence the investment. But tell me where I'm being dense again?

Lastly, what's Bobinski supposed to say? Ya. We are glad it's over. We are head over heals better than ever other program there in my tenure and we can play much better opponents, probably at home, where we will sell out and collect more money.
Purdue was absolutely terrible in the tournament and still raked in money because of IU.

And dominates in-state recruiting? What?

I still can’t believe our fan base fell for the “CALIPARI IS SCARED!” nonsense when Crean and Glass cancelled the series. Literally the year after Calipari and UK won a title. But they were…SCARED I tell you.

What a stain that was and is on our fan base and program.
Nah, it was a small minority. Cal does realize that most years he will bring a very young, very talented team into a VERY hostile and one of a kind atmosphere at SSAH. Cal feels that IU would win more often than not at SSAH, so why play there. I am all in on playing EVERY game at Lucas Oil. uk has moved on, but I still hope the IU/uk series will renew.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Hold up a sec lol. Purdue dominates instate recruiting? Are you high??? That’s not even close to accurate. Your 2021 class was the only time since like 2007 that you beat us in in state recruiting. And our 2021 class was still better than yours!!!!

Reactions: brianiu
My mistake. It was the Wooden Tradition that was played in Indy and featured Purdue. They played in it every year from 2000-2010 except for 2003, when we played Xavier.
No worries. It's hard to find much info on that one. Not even a wiki page for it that I could find.

Reactions: MIS01
Hold up a sec lol. Purdue dominates instate recruiting? Are you high??? That’s not even close to accurate. Your 2021 class was the only time since like 2007 that you beat us in in state recruiting. And our 2021 class was still better than yours!!!!
You can count the number of recruits in the last 40 years that chose PU over IU on one hand. Most of their success has centered around IU coaching changes as in this past cycle.

Last edited:
You can count the number of recruits in the last 40 years that chose PU over IU on one hand.
Kaufman, furst, Morton, Newman, not sure how hard they chased Swanigan. Like football, it's kind of amazing how little they push for the same recruits.

Kaufman, furst, Morton, Newman, not sure how hard they chased Swanigan. Like football, it's kind of amazing how little they push for the same recruits.
No it’s not. IU has a much larger footprint even after sucking for years. It’s still a superior brand. IU can pull high rated recruits from more areas. Why go after a 3* instate.

No it’s not. IU has a much larger footprint even after sucking for years. It’s still a superior brand. IU can pull high rated recruits from more areas. Why go after a 3* instate.
Purdue recruits a large footprint as well. You act like Purdue barely recruits beyond the state because they are some broke program that can't afford to recruit outside of a one state radius.

Stars also don't mean shit to me. I want guys that can play and play at a high level. If those guys are in indiana, great! If not, go get someone else.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Lol Newman doesn’t count. We stopped recruiting him when we landed Armaan (over Purdue).

You really going to try to backup that you land recruits over us? You really want to go down that rabbit hole?

Purdue recruits a large footprint as well. You act like Purdue barely recruits beyond the state because they are some broke program that can't afford to recruit outside of a one state radius.

Stars also don't mean shit to me. I want guys that can play and play at a high level. If those guys are in indiana, great! If not, go get someone else.
Your small footprint isn’t because of lack of money. Your brand just isn’t appealing to top recruits. Especially out of state top recruits.

You may not care about stars, but there is a reason your team hasn’t reached the final 4 in 41 years.

Your small footprint isn’t because of lack of money. Your brand just isn’t appealing to top recruits. Especially out of state top recruits.

You may not care about stars, but there is a reason your team hasn’t reached the final 4 in 41 years.
Purdue has landed plenty of solid out of state recruits recently. Personally, if iu is the alternative to Purdue, I'm taking Purdue. Purdue might not have done anything in a third of the populations lifetime, but neither has iu. One has been way more fun than the other.

But I'd argue the lack of investment in basketball was a big reason why Purdue struggled to make a final 4 for so many years. As soon as the investment came in, Purdue started recruiting at a higher level and becoming more of a threat. Coincidence? Not really.

Lol Newman doesn’t count. We stopped recruiting him when we landed Armaan (over Purdue).

You really going to try to backup that you land recruits over us? You really want to go down that rabbit hole?
And you landed armaan because Newman was going to Purdue and armaan wasn't going to play with Newman.

Purdue has landed plenty of solid out of state recruits recently. Personally, if iu is the alternative to Purdue, I'm taking Purdue. Purdue might not have done anything in a third of the populations lifetime, but neither has iu. One has been way more fun than the other.

But I'd argue the lack of investment in basketball was a big reason why Purdue struggled to make a final 4 for so many years. As soon as the investment came in, Purdue started recruiting at a higher level and becoming more of a threat. Coincidence? Not really.
Who are the solid recruits outside the Midwest? Carsen… and???

It really doesn’t matter what you would choose as you aren’t a top basketball prospect. Top basketball prospects choose IU over Purdue. Painter has landed 1 five star in his 16 years. Woodson landed his first five star a month after taking the job.

You aren’t recruiting at a higher level. The 2007 class remains Painter’s best class to date. The 2022 class is really poor. No top 100 players currently.

A threat to what? We screwed up with 3 coaches and still bring in recruits. Reverse that with Purdue and you become penn state and northwestern. This isn’t even a discussion. IU is easily the bigger brand.

Reactions: brianiu and 76-1
Who are the solid recruits outside the Midwest? Carsen… and???

It really doesn’t matter what you would choose as you aren’t a top basketball prospect. Top basketball prospects choose IU over Purdue. Painter has landed 1 five star in his 16 years. Woodson landed his first five star a month after taking the job.

You aren’t recruiting at a higher level. The 2007 class remains Painter’s best class to date. The 2022 class is really poor. No top 100 players currently.
Typical iu fan - focused more on recruiting rankings than W's. Hoosier fans beat their chest about how many stars a player has next to their name; how many Walmart fans they have; and whether a recruit is from outside Indiana/Midwest.
Meanwhile, Purdue focuses on getting guys who fit their culture; guys who want to win; and guys who want to attend a world class university.

Keep doing the rest of the B1G a favor and stay focused on everything but winning. You do you.

Reactions: LowCut
Typical iu fan - focused more on recruiting rankings than W's. Hoosier fans beat their chest about how many stars a player has next to their name; how many Walmart fans they have; and whether a recruit is from outside Indiana/Midwest.
Meanwhile, Purdue focuses on getting guys who fit their culture; guys who want to win; and guys who want to attend a world class university.

Keep doing the rest of the B1G a favor and stay focused on everything but winning. You do you.
Lol what exactly has Purdue won?

Since Painter got to Purdue the accomplishments have been pretty similar between IU and Purdue (even with 4 different coaches in that time.

Big Ten Championship:
Purdue: 3
IU: 2

BTT Championship:
Purdue: 1
IU: 0

Elite 8 Appearance:
Purdue: 1
IU: 0

Sweet 16 Appearance:
Purdue: 5
IU: 3

What exactly have you won of any importance?

Hey @BoilerN, still waiting on that proof that Purdue is out recruiting IU in H2H recruitments. Show us the H2H recruitments since Painter has been coach.

A threat to what? We screwed up with 3 coaches and still bring in recruits. Reverse that with Purdue and you become penn state and northwestern. This isn’t even a discussion. IU is easily the bigger brand.
I never said otherwise. No where have I said or argued otherwise actually.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT