ADVERTISEMENT

According to a well connected fan on another site…

Since 2000
PU- 2 elite 8’s, 7 sweet 16’s
16 NCAA tournament appearance
4 BIG championship
2 BIG tournament champs
* not counting this year

IU since 2000
1 final 4
1 elite 8
4 sweet 16
13 NCAA appearances
3 Big championships
0 BIG tournament champs

24 wins for Pu vs iu since 2000
20 wins for Iu vs Pu since 2000
Closer than most would think. You need to add runer-up in 2002. Worst 2 decades and it’s still that close.

Since 2000
4 BIG championship
2 BIG tournament champs
* not counting this year

IU since 2000
1 final 4
1 elite 8
4 sweet 16
13 NCAA appearances
3 Big championships
0 BIG tournament champs

That's nice. You said twenty five years, another poster said ten. Ten, I'll give you. From the time Crean's recruiting fell off the cliff, which was around 2014, Purdue has been the better program. Until that time both programs were on pretty equal footing.

I don’t care to get into this debate, but have to say, for as bad as the last 25 years have been, we aren’t that far off Purdue.

If we can dodge the Edey era bullet and get our program fixed, that would be great.

I don't know who this "well connected" fan is,and what site. I do know that with regards to Sisley a poster on a certain Premium site is a long time friend of the family. His longtime info has been that it's basically between IU and MSU and that it's close. But the one point he has stressed all along was that it would not be Purdue, that they had been eliminated early on and that the continued inclusion of Purdue in the process was a courtesy...
He’s on BTB. I can‘t vouch for him personally, but he’s been pretty spot on in the past. Based on what Sisley himself said he was looking for in a program….it sure didn’t seem to describe the current situation at IU.

Reactions: kkott
I don’t care to get into this debate, but have to say, for as bad as the last 25 years have been, we aren’t that far off Purdue.

If we can dodge the Edey era bullet and get our program fixed, that would be great.
Purdue will just reload and make another run the next few years. Easily top 25 next year, but with super athletic guards and forwards coming.

He’s on BTB. I can‘t vouch for him personally, but he’s been pretty spot on in the past. Based on what Sisley himself said he was looking for in a program….it sure didn’t seem to describe the current situation at IU.
Seems like "wins a lot" is the thing missing right now. IU would absolutely be the better college experience in nearly every other way.

Reactions: Vern Pain

Unfortunately they will return a ton and have a great recruiting class coming in.

Since 2000
4 BIG championship
2 BIG tournament champs
* not counting this year

IU since 2000
1 final 4
1 elite 8
4 sweet 16
13 NCAA appearances
3 Big championships
0 BIG tournament champs

so in what has been a pretty miserable 25 year stretch for IU, we've been barely worse than PU and accomplished 2 things (title game appearance, in addition to a F4) they haven't in 40+ years?

so in what has been a pretty miserable 25 year stretch for IU, we've been barely worse than PU and accomplished 2 things (title game appearance, in addition to a F4) they haven't in 40+ years?
Which direction is each program headed?

The moving screen complaint is as lame as the 3 seconds one. I swear every big on every team in America sets a moving screen to kick off each possession. 75% of screens are "illegal." You want the refs to treat him more harshly than everyone else. Heck, you want them to call over the back on him even, which is a not a call that even exists in basketball lol
if you've read any of my posts, I've actually complimented Edey on focusing on getting out of the lane on 3 second calls and been critical of those who complain about it, and also that I think he does a good job of not fouling when defending and blocking shots. "Over the back" is a foul, they just don't use that specific term, even though it's jargon that specifies the exact violation I'm referencing, and is known to everyone, vs "impeding an opponents movement" or "displacing a primary rebounder". I see illegal/moving screens called multiple times each game, just rarely on the biggest guy I see doing it most often. They don't have to call it anymore frequently on him, just call it at the same rate.

Edey can’t shoot? Interesting. Prove it. He didn’t go pro because he got paid a ton in NIL to come back and get better. He did. He will continue to get better.

You are correct, Edey probably gets away with a couple fouls a game, but opposing teams get away with fouling him a couple times a game. Evens out. Foul disparity is crap. A foul is a foul. Purdue doesn’t foul as much as some teams.
His stock was literally as high as it can get last year, and he didn't go pro. This is because his game does not translate to the NBA. Edey is way closer to Tacko Fall and Isaac Haas than it is Kevin Durant or any other player in the league that can exist more than 5 feet away from the basket.

There is a clear foul disparity. There are way too many games where Zach Edey only has like 1 foul: that is absolute BS.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedinGold
They have called Edey the same all year. Big ten, non big ten. So it would be really poor officiating to suddenly change how he’s called after 30 games.

The free throw advantage Purdue carry’s is usually because they draw more fouls due to style of play. You mentioned Bama, so let’s role with it. Bama shot 46 threes and 18 twos. They called 15 fouls on Purdue. That’s not a game script you call fouls on.

Now let’s look at northwestern. They are one of the highest fouling teams in the country. Purdue one of the lowest. Their coach literally said we have 15 fouls to use on Edey and we plan to use them.

There is no rule that says fouls have to be close. If you foul me 5 times and I foul you once. Did you get screwed?
and yet you still don't see the irony that the biggest, strongest most physical guy on the floor gets called for some of the fewest fouls? MN's frontcourt was called for 16 fouls and Purdues 7 (I'm being lenient and calling Gillis a frontcourt player, because he does defend some... only 4 if you take away his 3 fouls). You guys complained for years/decades about the "Hall of Calls" when RMK's stated goal was to make more FTs than the opponent took. You guys are nearly doubling up many of your opponents, or worse (NW: 46-8??? C'mon Man!)... all with the biggest most physical guy (who's still kind of awkward and gangly) who barely gets called. I bet Matt blew a gasket last night when they called him for 4!

His stock was literally as high as it can get last year, and he didn't go pro. This is because his game does not translate to the NBA. Edey is way closer to Tacko Fall and Isaac Haas than it is Kevin Durant or any other player in the league that can exist more than 5 feet away from the basket.

There is a clear foul disparity. There are way too many games where Zach Edey only has like 1 foul: that is absolute BS.
The mock drafts from both years disagree with your first statement…

and yet you still don't see the irony that the biggest, strongest most physical guy on the floor gets called for some of the fewest fouls? MN's frontcourt was called for 16 fouls and Purdues 7 (I'm being lenient and calling Gillis a frontcourt player, because he does defend some... only 4 if you take away his 3 fouls). You guys complained for years/decades about the "Hall of Calls" when RMK's stated goal was to make more FTs than the opponent took. You guys are nearly doubling up many of your opponents, or worse (NW: 46-8??? C'mon Man!)... all with the biggest most physical guy (who's still kind of awkward and gangly) who barely gets called. I bet Matt blew a gasket last night when they called him for 4!
Edey fouled way more last night than most games. You’d have to get nit picky to find 5 fouls a game on Zach.

• Haha
No doubt Edey stock has risen. How much? Who knows until draft day. In his case staying was a no brainer and with the draft class being weaker will help much like zeller back in ‘13. He is better that I must admit.

Reactions: BoilerN
Wake me up when he actually does something in the NBA. A junior "national player of the year" doesn't stay in the minors unless he can't hack it in the majors.

Wake me up when he actually does something in the NBA. A junior "national player of the year" doesn't stay in the minors unless he can't hack it in the majors.
I mean, he hasn’t had a chance to do anything yet, so… You have no idea how he will fare in the NBA.

Hilarious. Dominant teams don't lose to FDU...and/or get swept by IU...

The FDU game is used as a punch line...but its a very real example of why they're going to struggle to win 4 games in a row and get to a FF...let alone 6 games in a row.

Basically ALL of their perceived national "dominance" has been based on a handful of neutral site games, on or around Thanksgiving in both seasons PreConference schedule. These early season tournaments lack the intensity, feel, atmosphere...really everything of importance, that games in March in the NCAAs have.

Look at their true road games this year...

7 of them so far
5-2 record
1-2 against teams that have a prayer at NCAA...with their two losses against teams that would likely be 2nd round caliber teams.
1 other close one at Rutgers

In order to make a FF, they might have to beat 3 teams better than ANY of the teams they've played on the road thus far. In order to win a Natty, make that number 5.

True road games are essentially the most similar games teams can play to simulate NCAA tournament conditions. Purdue has been barely above average in those games the last couple years, this year included.
You are gonna hurt his feelings. Now do ND.

He'll hang around on rosters for a while. He'll never be a star, and probably never a regular starter. However, having a 7'4" backup center can dictate the opposing coach's substitution pattern, and a savvy head coach will figure out how to incorporate 2-3 good minutes a quarter.

You don’t know that as you haven’t seen him in the NBA or participate in a draft. Which is your metric.
I know what his skill set is, what skills are required in the NBA, and that Edey removed himself from the draft. Edey can't even exist more than 5 feet from the bucket in college. There was a really good possibility he wouldn't have been drafted last year.

Basically. Big bro has had two broken legs, a broken arm and multiple heart procedures…and lil bro was only barely better, while still not sniffing a FF.

Basically. Big bro has had two broken legs, a broken arm and multiple heart procedures…and lil bro was only barely better, while still not sniffing a FF.
in fairness, they sniffed a F4 in 2019, barely losing to eventual champion UVA to go to the F4. I don't remember the details well, but didn't they miss a sealing FT late or something? Maybe an OT game?

I know what his skill set is, what skills are required in the NBA, and that Edey removed himself from the draft. Edey can't even exist more than 5 feet from the bucket in college. There was a really good possibility he wouldn't have been drafted last year.
Hard to say until the NBA shows what they think. Per you. But you are wrong on existing outside of 5 feet. He will probably show off more range shooting wise in the NBA. He just doesn’t need to at Purdue. But, like you’ve said, we just don’t know until we see what the NBA says.

in fairness, they sniffed a F4 in 2019, barely losing to eventual champion UVA to go to the F4. I don't remember the details well, but didn't they miss a sealing FT late or something? Maybe an OT game?
They missed a free throw, cline I think, then fouled Virginia with 5ish seconds left. Virginia hit the first, missed the second, then haarms tipped the ball across half court, the Virginia freshman guard made a great pass to diakite who made a one handed hook shot. Luckiest sequence I’ve seen to end a game tbh. Bad luck for Purdue. Replay that exact situation 100 times, Purdue wins 96 times.

Well, more like Big Bro on his own choices, broke his legs, broke his own arm, stabbed himself in the heart, surviving, but family is seriously worried about his mental competence.

And lil bro was only barely better. But at least won't be committed.

They missed a free throw, cline I think, then fouled Virginia with 5ish seconds left. Virginia hit the first, missed the second, then haarms tipped the ball across half court, the Virginia freshman guard made a great pass to diakite who made a one handed hook shot. Luckiest sequence I’ve seen to end a game tbh. Bad luck for Purdue. Replay that exact situation 100 times, Purdue wins 96 times.
Yeah, I know.... I just wanted to make one of you Boilers recount it!

Heeheeheee... the levels we have to resort to in a crappy season!

• Haha
Reactions: BleedinGold

If Edey was wearing an IU uniform....would this be posted?

That was a strong team at the end. The barrage of 3's in the Kent State game was thrilling. It wasn't a fluke, but one wonders what might have been had they played USC or Pitt or one of those teams had the bracket played out normally.

Actually, it would be interesting to see an alternative history had IU lost in round 2. Mike Davis doesn't survive nearly as long at IU, and every subsequent coaching change is altered.
You might as well blame IU’s misfortune on a sexually frustrated butterfly sneeze somewhere on the slopes of Sumatra. If only Brad Stevens hadn’t jilted us at the alter…the “ifs” and “buts” of Christmas, eaten as candied nuts before a crackling fire. If we could realize alternative histories, none of us would be where we are today.

Mike Davis, et al, are the product of a deeply-seeded problem within the IU administration for which we have yet to identify in hope of recovery. Until we flush the culprit out, we’ll remain mired in this muck of mediocrity.

Reactions: Indymoon
Slow big men that can't dribble, shoot, or guard anybody don't stick in the NBA. Edey would have gone pro last year if he could play in the NBA. Edey can hang out around the bucket in college, not in the NBA.

The biggest part of Painter's strategy is convincing refs Edey doesn't foul, which is nonsense. Take away the foul disparity, and PU loses a big part of their game.

As a freshman Edey played in 28 games averaged 5.1 minutes per game, committed 64 fouls averaging 2.3 fouls per game
Yes, I'm saying I believe non-B10 refs will call games differently, and I believe Edey will get called for more fouls if he keeps playing as he does now. I'm not talking about Edey on defense, or the fouls he draws on offense. He gets hammered and does and should get fouls called against his defenders. I'm talking about the fouls they don't call on Edey for moving screens, over the back and his fouling defenders while gaining position.

You'd love a "cleaner" game? Doubt it. Last night PU doubled up MN on FTs: 32-16, and fouled out 2 of their starters. And, we already know about the debacle in fouls and FTs vs NW in that second game. I'd guess what you really mean, is you want even fewer fouls called on PU. I wonder how many more L's PU would have if they called a "cleaner game"? NW for sure would be a loss. Things would be very tight vs MN even. Bama? Zona? Marquette? Do you realize how many games PU has a large advantage in fouls and FTs?

Purdue free throws vs opponent‘s last four years:

2021-22 - 506 - 476
2021-22 - 800 - 480
2022-23 - 720 - 389
2023-24 - 642 - 358

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT