ADVERTISEMENT

According to a well connected fan on another site…

Guys that didn't suck--Zach Randolph,Jared Jeffries,Ivey,and tons of others. Lately, the talent has been hype but not near as good. I think the style of play has changed kid's fundamentals--kids stepping back or falling away shooting instead of great form, lack of foul shooting skills, less defensive footwork,etc. But Indiana still produces shooters--Woodson for whatever reason wants bigs but not great shooting guards.
Yogi, Zeller, Hulls, Booker, Trey Lyles, Desmond Bane, Hayward, plus a bunch more really good college guys and role players.

Reactions: z_one
I would not be surprised if Woodson decided to retire. I wouldn't go so far as to say I expect it, but could certainly see it happening. It's a way out that Davis, Crean, and Miller didn't have.

Baring that I think he gets one more year at least, and at this point one year give or take in the grand scheme of things isn't really worth getting upset about. To me it's much more important that the next coaching hire be a good one than whether it happens this year or next or next. At Woodson's age, it will happen sooner rather than later no matter what.
I don't think there's anyway he's retiring from a job paying him 4m per year! But, I do think it could give everyone an out. If Dolson feels for certain that Woodson is not up to the task, AND that he has a candidate he truly believes is "the Guy", and he can line up the donors... I think he could sit down with Woodson and tell him, he doesn't believe in him or the direction of the program, but he wants to be fair and not embarass him since he's an IU guy. Work out a buyout, and a deal for the new guy and Woodson steps down saying at his age he wants to focus on family while he has his health and step aside. Lots of "ifs" there, but I do think it's possible.

Yogi, Zeller, Hulls, Booker, Trey Lyles, Desmond Bane, Hayward, plus a bunch more really good college guys and role players.
Matt Painter at Purdue has been able to put together a pretty decent program that flirts with excellent some years by trying to follow that path as much as he can.

Get a sample of the best guys you can from Indiana (like look at the Top 5 kids every year and shoot to get 1-3 of them) and then fill out your roster by shooting for 1 or 2 other Top 50 type of guys every year. Run the correct system for the players you are targeting and you will be successful. You can build a championship team that way and it helps to smooth out the peaks and valleys we have seen by trying to chase Top 50 guys almost exclusively, that reside outside our natural footprint.

The most important thing is having a system that works and someone who knows how to recruit to that system though. It also requires a functional culture that at least values team excellence as equally as personal accolades as well. I don't feel we have always had that since Knight was fired.

2 players ejected for unsportsmanlike penalties, blowout losses, assistants to radio show. I guess everyone has their own definition of bad.
Blowout losses happen, and so do assistants on radio shows. Hell Auburn beat a ranked SC team by 40 last night!

Not making the tourney, horrid roster construction, and underachieving is why this season is shit.

Reactions: stollcpa
Matt Painter at Purdue has been able to put together a pretty decent program that flirts with excellent some years by trying to follow that path as much as he can.

Get a sample of the best guys you can from Indiana (like look at the Top 5 kids every year and shoot to get 1-3 of them) and then fill out your roster by shooting for 1 or 2 other Top 50 type of guys every year. Run the correct system for the players you are targeting and you will be successful. You can build a championship team that way and it helps to smooth out the peaks and valleys we have seen by trying to chase Top 50 guys almost exclusively, that reside outside our natural footprint.

The most important thing is having a system that works and someone who knows how to recruit to that system though. It also requires a functional culture that at least values team excellence as equally as personal accolades as well. I don't feel we have always had that since Knight was fired.
Painter recruits a team not individuals. Woody is just grabbing high rated guys and trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Last edited:
1 of the 3. It’s not Beard or Oats.
I'm a pass on Beard. He's probably a better coach than I'm giving him credit for, but 2 good years at Tech, the rest middling, 1 middling year at Texas, then through 8 games the next year had them ranked in top 5 before he was canned. Bite marks on fiancee's arms and legs does not sound like self defense and seeing him during the UK game his pickled skin and puffy face looks like he's 1 bottle away from rehab. I know coaching isn't a beauty contest but he looks terribly unhealthy.

I'm a pass on Beard. He's probably a better coach than I'm giving him credit for, but 2 good years at Tech, the rest middling, 1 middling year at Texas, then through 8 games the next year had them ranked in top 5 before he was canned. Bite marks on fiancee's arms and legs does not sound like self defense and seeing him during the UK game his pickled skin and puffy face looks like he's 1 bottle away from rehab. I know coaching isn't a beauty contest but he looks terribly unhealthy.
Oats had a pretty nasty scandal himself and didn’t handle it well either.

The stuff with his fiance is concerning, and any school, including IU should do a full background investigation on him, and also inquire about drinking/alcohol consumption assuming that played a role. I didn't watch the game you referenced, but here's a link to the post game. Looks fine and sounds lucid and intelligent to me. He'd be on my list of possible candidates to look at.

The stuff with his fiance is concerning, and any school, including IU should do a full background investigation on him, and also inquire about drinking/alcohol consumption assuming that played a role. I didn't watch the game you referenced, but here's a link to the post game. Looks fine and sounds lucid and intelligent to me. He'd be on my list of possible candidates to look at.

He would be my number 1 candidate

He would be my number 1 candidate
If I'm in Dolson's seat and determine I don't believe Woodson is the guy, I'm doing a full and complete search and try as hard as I can not to have preferences or pre-conceived notions. I'd have interest in Beard, Musselman, Pearl, May, Donovan, Matta, Wright, the SC coach and the guy at IN St for sure, as well as the IA St coach. Do a thorough search, and ask each guy questions about your specific concerns with them and their experience and background. I think it's the best way to come up with "the Guy" and I don't really feel like it's been done with any of the hires since RMK.

Last edited:

Yeah he looks much better there, the on court interview with the camera in his face ugh, but I guess we all can't be pretty like Ali.

Reactions: kkott
If I'm in Dolson's seat and determine I don't believe Woodson is the guy, I'm doing a full and complete search and try as hard as I can not to have preferences or pre-conceived notions. I'd have interest in Beard, Musselman, Pearl, May, Donovan, Matta, Wright, the SC coach and the guy at ISU for sure, as well as the Ia St coach. Do a thorough search, and ask each guy questions about your specific concerns with them and their experience and background. I think it's the best way to come up with "the Guy" and I don't really feel like it's been done with any of the hires since RMK.
3 of those guys I’m guessing will be the pick at OSU, Michigan and Louisville by year end

Yeah he looks much better there, the on court interview with the camera in his face ugh, but I guess we all can't be pretty like Ali.
well, he's light skinned too and sometimes people like that have their skin get really flushed and splotchy when they're exerting themselves. I just figured the post game of the same game would be a good check. I'd also expect if alcohol was involved in the domestic thing that he'd be swearing it off or working very hard to control and limit it. I'd have concerns with everyone on the list and ask them all honestly about them and then sit and listen.

I don't think there's anyway he's retiring from a job paying him 4m per year! But, I do think it could give everyone an out. If Dolson feels for certain that Woodson is not up to the task, AND that he has a candidate he truly believes is "the Guy", and he can line up the donors... I think he could sit down with Woodson and tell him, he doesn't believe in him or the direction of the program, but he wants to be fair and not embarass him since he's an IU guy. Work out a buyout, and a deal for the new guy and Woodson steps down saying at his age he wants to focus on family while he has his health and step aside. Lots of "ifs" there, but I do think it's possible.
I don't see any way he leaves unless we wash out the rest of the way, and I just can't get myself to root for that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some housekeeping on the assistant coach front. Someone has to fall on a sword. The 49ers just fired their DC......someone has to wear the blame as they walk out the door.

If we're status quote next Sept, without any more signings, lose Ware and /or MM, and don't hit home runs in the portal....next year with be an ugly season and this board will be an absolute shitfest.

Reactions: kkott
Wins would fix it all.

With enough wins, fans would like the coach. Players would be happy and work hard because they are winning. "Culture" falls out of that naturally (Purdue has good culture because they are winning). Instead of complaints about the coach's raise we would be defending it. High school players and transfers would be lining up to play here. Instead of complaints about the roster we would be praising it. Instead of hoping will get into a tournament (any tournament) we'd be talking about how deep a run we will make. We wouldn't have so many flagrant fouls because half of those were committed out of frustration. Even the off-court stuff would be downplayed, at least up to a point. Look at what was tolerated from RMK, when he was winning.

Winning fixes everything.
I think you have the culture issue backwards. Culture begets success. Not the other way around. You don’t win and have success by accident.

What Painter has done is outlast Beilein, Matta, Ryan, and Izzo (better coaches) and reaped the benefits of IU's coaching hire failures. If Matt was going to do something on the national stage, he would have done it 15 years ago. If it walks like Gene, talks like Gene, looks like Gene, etc.
I bet people said the same thing about Scott Drew until he made the final 4 in his 19th year. It took Jay Wright 15 years to make a final 4, 8 at Villanova. It took Tony Bennet 13 years and he hasn’t done crap since.

Reactions: BleedinGold
I bet people said the same thing about Scott Drew until he made the final 4 in his 19th year. It took Jay Wright 15 years to make a final 4, 8 at Villanova. It took Tony Bennet 13 years and he hasn’t done crap since.
lol. Bennett has 2 conference championships since (and was second)he won it all. According to you that means your own coach hasn’t done crap.

lol. Bennett has 2 conference championships since (and was second)he won it all. According to you that means your own coach hasn’t done crap.
He lost in the first round both of those years as well. I was just talking about the “national stage” whatever that means. I figured you meant the tournament only.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Overall body of work brother. The last 25-30 years PU been a much better program than Iu.
Given IU made the 2002 championship game , rarified air Purdue hasn’t breathed under either Painter or Keady, I’d not say 25-30 years. If you said since 2010 I agree

Reactions: Vern Pain
This will be the 7th of the last 9 season where painter will win over 26 games. We can all rip in them for not going far in the tourney but that is pretty darn good. He is 80-16 so far the last three seasons. My guess is he will eventually make a final four. I mean we have only made one final four in 30 years so we really go nothing to brag about.
I'll be thankful if all they make is a Final Four. PU seems a team of destiny this season...hand-picked former player/assistant coach finally wins one for the aging Gene Keady. The last time I saw him on camera he looked like he was already three feet under and half way there. Purdue is motivated by their laughable 17th seed loss last tournament. They feature the soon to be 2X national player of the year, a Canadian of Chinese decent. The liberal media will jump on his story, including his brainy mother who made good of herself despite their many struggles in a white man's world. Having not sniffed a FF since 1980, Purdue will be the media's darlings going forward. It's PU's tournament to lose. I don't think they will this time. If they win it all, It will shut us up until we win one again, marking us as "little brother" until we do. Think about it and let me know if it makes you wanna PUke like it does me.

I'll be thankful if all they make is a Final Four. PU seems a team of destiny this season...hand-picked former player/assistant coach finally wins one for the aging Gene Keady. The last time I saw him on camera he looked like he was already three feet under and half way there. Purdue is motivated by their laughable 17th seed loss last tournament. They feature the soon to be 2X national player of the year, a Canadian of Chinese decent. The liberal media will jump on his story, including his brainy mother who made good of herself despite their many struggles in a white man's world. Having not sniffed a FF since 1980, Purdue will be the media's darlings going forward. It's PU's tournament to lose. I don't think they will this time. If they win it all, It will shut us up until we win one again, marking us as "little brother" until we do. Think about it and let me know if it makes you wanna PUke like it does me.
If we can just dodge one more bullet we should be in the clear for a little bit. I'm nervous -- as you said it a classic story shaping up if they did it. Gah!!!

Too mean

Given IU made the 2002 championship game , rarified air Purdue hasn’t breathed under either Painter or Keady, I’d not say 25-30 years. If you said since 2010 I agree
I don’t put a 5 seed getting to final game meaning that much over a 30 year period. Is George Mason a better program than PU or IU the last 20 years?

Until they don’t.
Any reason to think that’s changing? Coming in they have a top 40 athletic wing, a top 80 guard, two top 100 centers, including one being a stretch big that reclassified. A high IQ, physical lights out shooter. And a guy in Cox I think is underrated.

Purdue is going to be way more athletic next year as well.

😍

The Trilly Donovan guy is saying IU has put out feelers to some coaches and agents.
Don’t get to excited. Those could mean for assistant coaches and Trilly has walked back a bit. Rabby and him agree that woody probably gets next year barring a complete collapse. It’s on his “pay” discord site. Nothing was said about who either.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Purdue has as good of a chance to make it to the FF as anyone else. They are the best team in the B1G, which may not be saying alot. But.....How many times has IU even been to the NCAA tournament in the past 20 years? 4 or 5? It can't be much more than that. I am an IU fan....but my daughter went to Purdue. I'll be rooting for them...as they are in the tournament and will be a high seed. IU remains irrelevant in college basketball. If you want to criticize poor track records...that one is ripe for the picking.
9x

I've heard that is is going to be PU's year my entire life, and they always fail hard when it matters. Last year was literally the biggest fail in NCAA history. Once again, PU doesn't have any NBA players on its roster or elite guards: that means they are ripe to lose, like always. Death, taxes, and PU failing in March are the constants in life. How many times do you have to see it?

I've heard that is is going to be PU's year my entire life, and they always fail hard when it matters. Last year was literally the biggest fail in NCAA history. Once again, PU doesn't have any NBA players on its roster or elite guards: that means they are ripe to lose, like always. Death, taxes, and PU failing in March are the constants in life. How many times do you have to see it?
Getting beat pretty good right now. Ouch 18 point swing. Up 11 now down by 8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT