ADVERTISEMENT

CPI came in hot

“It is difficult to find an example of a great manufacturing economy that did not create much of its comparative advantage through state intervention.”

“Manufacturing drives 70 percent of American R&D investment; it employs as many scientists, engineers, and other so-called super-STEM workers as the much larger health-care industry and more than any other sector.”

That surprised me

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Do you know what’s up 40% in the past 3.5 months? Bitcoin. SMOKIN!
I am thinking about it. I have a little investment slush fund that I could take some from and move to bitcoin. I have avoided it so far. This was inherited money so I feel a little more inclined to take chances, since it's money I didn't expect to get.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I am thinking about it. I have a little investment slush fund that I could take some from and move to bitcoin. I have avoided it so far. This was inherited money so I feel a little more inclined to take chances, since it's money I didn't expect to get.
Good for you! Be careful, before you know it you’ll be a crazy Bitcoin loon like myself.

My Dad died in 2007 and left me:

1) a 10K certificate of deposit, and
2) a brokerage account with 10K value in stocks, in the health care sector.

I didn't touch either for the longest time. Dad wanted to buy it, for whatever reason, so I thought I'd just ride it out.

With super low interest rates 2007-2021, the CD puttered along and 15 years later the 10K had become 12K with dividend reinvestments and roll-overs. Whoop-de-doo. But the 10K in stocks had become over 100K. Finally I wised up and cashed out the CD and put it into a growth mutual fund, where the 12K is now ~16K after a year.

I'm still hanging onto his stock investments but wondering if I should take some of that unexpected windfall and dabble in sectors I have avoided, such as crypto. Not investing a ton, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT