ADVERTISEMENT

Capitol in lockdown

The lack of preparation was astonishing.
Public safety officials must always be prepared for the possibility that instigators and political opportunists might coax a crowd to violence.
Preparation, preparation, preparation

Multiple reports that the leadership of the Capitol Police repeatedly called for assistance before and during the riot and were denied. That needs to be fully investigated.

Public safety officials must always be prepared for the possibility that instigators and political opportunists might coax a crowd to violence.

needs some fixing....

Public safety officials must always be prepared for the possibility that instigators and political opportunists can be a major part of the crowd of "protestors", that they have meticulously PLANNED to be violent, and have even announced those intentions in advance.

Multiple reports that the leadership of the Capitol Police repeatedly called for assistance before and during the riot and were denied. That needs to be fully investigated.
I agree.
It is important that the rioters be fully prosecuted for their crimes.
Michael Sherwin acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia: "We will bring maximum charges based on the conduct."

The lack of preparation was astonishing.

Trump initially resisted sending in national guard. That is the issue with him sending in the rioters and being in charge of defending against the rioters.

I agree.
It is important that the rioters be fully prosecuted for their crimes.
Michael Sherwin acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia: "We will bring maximum charges based on the conduct."

This should have been an alphabet soup of federal agencies on hand during this riot. The event was planned and advertised. Several federal agencies should have been present and prepared to offer aid. I don’t like to delve into conspiracies, but something just doesn’t sit right here. I hope there is a full and complete investigation because we all need to know how this happened.

Can you link? To whom did they request assistance and who denied?

Reactions: Spartans9312
Trump initially resisted sending in national guard. That is the issue with him sending in the rioters and being in charge of defending against the rioters.

Ok. But that still doesn't excuse the lack of preparation by the Capitol Police.

This should have been an alphabet soup of federal agencies on hand during this riot. The event was planned and advertised. Several federal agencies should have been present and prepared to offer aid. I don’t like to delve into conspiracies, but something just doesn’t sit right here. I hope there is a full and complete investigation because we all need to know how this happened.
Too many rioters had charges dropped by rogue prosecutors in 2020. This needs to change

Too many rioters had charges dropped by rogue prosecutors in 2020. This needs to change

Agree, any rioter caught dead to rights damaging property, trespassing (especially into a federal building) or harming/threatening others should be charged and brought to justice whether that be during last summer in BLM protests or last week in the march to the capitol building.

I was pretty careful to say "reports of" and "should be investigated", I think too much of what happened that day is still fuzzy and we need to take the time to sort out the failures that led to those officers being stranded with no support for hours faced by that mob. Here's one brief rundown that indicates it wasn't only Trump denying help from the Guard.

Reactions: larsIU
I was pretty careful to say "reports of" and "should be investigated", I think too much of what happened that day is still fuzzy and we need to take the time to sort out the failures that led to those officers being stranded with no support for hours faced by that mob. Here's one brief rundown that indicates it wasn't only Trump denying help from the Guard.

So if this is true, can we recant the whole “the cops respond and prep differently between BLM and Trumper protests” narrative given that bureaucracy and potentially politics played into this? I don’t think we need to alienate law enforcement any more.

Reactions: jet812
Agree, any rioter caught dead to rights damaging property, trespassing (especially into a federal building) or harming/threatening others should be charged and brought to justice whether that be during last summer in BLM protests or last week in the march to the capitol building.
Yep. Without consequences for violent attacks, the riots have continued.

Reactions: jet812
So if this is true, can we recant the whole “the cops respond and prep differently between BLM and Trumper protests” narrative given that bureaucracy and potentially politics played into this? I don’t think we need to alienate law enforcement any more.

Like I said, I'm waiting for clarity on the day's events to make my personal judgement on what happened but as I said before I think that there are a lot of contributing factors. I think the political sympathies of folks in law enforcement, sheer incompetence, and yes race played a part in how things played out compared to other protests and riots in the last year, the balance between those remains to be seen.

Sounds like some more resignations might be coming. Nobody wanted to take responsibility for making a decision it seems.

Like I said, I'm waiting for clarity on the day's events to make my personal judgement on what happened but as I said before I think that there are a lot of contributing factors. I think the political sympathies of folks in law enforcement, sheer incompetence, and yes race played a part in how things played out compared to other protests and riots in the last year, the balance between those remains to be seen.
All I’ve ever advocated from the beginning is to let the facts play out. Jumping to conclusions is immature, unhelpful, and divisive.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Excrement meet fan.

Two Capitol police suspended and more than a dozen others are under investigation for suspected involvement with or inappropriate support for the Wednesday demonstration that turned into a deadly riot at the Capitol.

I’m not leaving. Mostly because I have enough respect for Goat that, even though he’s dead wrong on this, my ass can handle it.

As long as everyone knows I’m well-intentioned I don’t mind stirring the proverbial pot. And I won’t miss the “other conservatives” if they are of the thought that the election was stolen or that the actions last week weren’t a big deal. That’s good riddance.
Somehow we got to a point where a large number of us are unbearably offended simply by being disagreed with. The mass exodus McMurtry is describing isn't about this place being unpleasant because it's filled with assholes (although, c'mon). It's about this place being unpleasant because it's not an echo chamber.

I don't understand why anyone would want an echo chamber. Even though you are clearly wrong on this one*, Ranger, there will be others where I am clearly wrong, and I might not find out about my wrongness without you here to point it out to me. I'm not sure there's anything to be valued more on a message board than smart people willing to disagree with you.

* ;)

Reactions: Circlejoe
Two moons meeting....

Despicable. She's 75 too. She should name and shame the Rs responsible... but you can imagine the usual suspects...Ghomert, MTG, and some other douchebags.

Here's the video:

Somehow we got to a point where a large number of us are unbearably offended simply by being disagreed with. The mass exodus McMurtry is describing isn't about this place being unpleasant because it's filled with assholes (although, c'mon). It's about this place being unpleasant because it's not an echo chamber.

I don't understand why anyone would want an echo chamber. Even though you are clearly wrong on this one*, Ranger, there will be others where I am clearly wrong, and I might not find out about my wrongness without you here to point it out to me. I'm not sure there's anything to be valued more on a message board than smart people willing to disagree with you.

* ;)
🤝

Interesting proposal:
Robert Reich

@RBReich

Trump could be barred from holding office again under Section 3 of 14th Amendment, which bars anyone from office who has been found to have “engaged in insurrection or rebellion against” the Constitution. That finding could be made by a simple majority vote of both houses. Done.

Reactions: brianiu
Each human being is basically good. In doing wrong (by his own determination), he will eventually judge himself and withdraw from doing more wrong. Trump is in the process of destroying himself.

And to be fair to Ranger, it’s clear he’s well intentioned. He says he just wants things to be better going forward. It’s also clear That being in the Military enabled him to experience environments that were fair racially and otherwise. That’s interesting. One would think that exposure would contrast drastically with everyday life, if he’s living in the vicinity of blacks and experiencing what they experience. In any case to make things better requires more sharing of experiences rather than less.
Gee Ranger....

The nice progressive is patting you on the head and scratching your ears...

Gud Boi.!!!

Guessing a belly rub is next!

Reactions: iuwclurker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT