ADVERTISEMENT

Can somebody please explain the "Religious Freedom Bill" that Pence

Neves

All-Big Ten
Apr 11, 2003
either has or is about to sign? I am trying to actually understand what it means but the left just says it is the worst thing ever and the right says it is the best thing ever. I would ask the Water Cooler but I don't want a huge long winded response.

Sure...

Businesses can discriminate and exhibit bigoted behavior as long as they claim it is within thier religious beliefs. Simple enough, the beat goes on.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 3/24 2:47 PM by hozo4ultimate

Has nothing to do with private buisness

Media is going nuts with it.....
Right now you or I could walk into a business and they could say no to us...this bill doesn't make it a law.

The bill protects people's religious right from the government. For example- Muslim asked to remove beard in jail/hospital, Jehovah witness blood transfusions etc...

Now some idiot will think they have the "law" and try to discriminate but they can/should be fired or the business boycotted and closed like the bakery in Indy a few months back....

You know those really cool events and conventions that Indy gets?

those will stop coming because our Legislature condones bigotry.

DING DING DING we have a winner....

I don't understand why people get bent out of shape on it.

The freaking housing authority called me for a survey on something. One of the questions was..

"If a lender, real estate agent, or other party discriminated against you because of your race, religion, etc. who would you call?"

My answer was pretty simple.. Another Realtor, lender, or find a new house to buy. If someone doesn't want my money I sure as hell am not going to give it to them.

The lady on the phone was confused by my answer... so you wouldn't call the housing authority.. No I just wouldn't give the idiot my money. Pretty self explanatory.

If you chose to discriminate that is fine, you will just have to deal with the consequences of your actions, which usually means less customers and less money.

Same reason why I do not agree with the smoking ban. It is crap and I don't even smoke hell I have never tried a cigarette but i think the smoking ban is bull crap.

It has everything to do with private business.

The key part of the law is that people can use the defense even in cases where the state or local government is not a party. In other words, if Bloomington wants to pass a non-discrimination ordinance, businesses can ignore it, and if a private citizen sues the business, the business can claim this as a defense and then ask for attorney's fees.

Obviously, the law has to give way to federal discrimination law, so it really applies only to discrimination against those groups not protected on a federal level.

Supporters of the law have pretty much been upfront with the fact that this is about protecting businesses' right to discriminate against gays and same-sex couples. It's not the left or the media making it up. The people pushing the law have admitted as much.

goat

yes, it means no more Superbowls,no more final fours in Indiana

and black and white signs in store windows saying who is not allowed to enter just like in the 1930's Ah, oh, way to go, Indiana.

That's probably the worst part about the law.

It likely won't be applied except in very specific circumstances. Most businesses will not want to claim the protection, to avoid bad media and alienating customers. And even in those cases where a business does assert the right, prospective customers will likely have other options available. The real problem is that the state continues to paint itself as a place where some Americans are simply not welcome, and that turns away commercial investment.

goat

when your time is money

you have to weigh the amount of money you stand to lose versus the amount of time you spend trying desperately to make up that loss.

That smoking ban is wonderful. Secondhand smoke indoors is nasty as fuk

you think businesses would survive in 2015

with a sign on their door that said "No blacks" or "No gays" or "No marijuana enthusiasts"? If you discriminate at that level, you will lose due to the free market speaking

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it was a complete

waste of time to discuss and pass this legislation. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since we are talking about the government here.

Housing discrimination is different.

It's rarely a case of a landlord or homeowner choosing between moving in a black family or leaving a home empty. It's usually about waiting for the proper white family to come along. That's a whole different bag of potato chips unrelated to what's going on here.

Don't agree with you on the smoking ban. That crap is gross

Glad I can walk into a bar or restaraunt and not have to walk through a wall of smoke.

Those very specific circumstances are what will make news....

decision makes will see that crap and look elsewhere.

Isn't it though?

At this point if I smell cigarette smoke, it surprises me.

I just don't see it or smell it often anymore.

Short quick and correct answer......

If a business is so caught up in their personal/religious beliefs that they would rather basically stop operating than make money then they will use this as a safety net. However this is Indiana and not Kentucky or Alabama so there will be little to no impact unless some national left leaning organization makes a fuss......which they will..because that's what they do. All in all, political points and no harm done.

Really doubt that happens. The NFL isn't holding another SB here anyways

That was a quid pro quo for the stadium. NCAA isn't going anywhere. NFL draft isn't going to Vermont because they adopted gay marriage first.

A large multinational corp looking to put factories in smaller towns like Cummins might have a more legit concern. Not a great law, imo, but I doubt it really affects much of anything.

My point is I know which bars in my town were smoke free...

and which ones were not. I avoided the smoking bars. I went to the non-smoking bars and gave them my money. We had 2 bars that allowed smoking turn smoke free before the ban. They saw in uptick in their customers because of it. It was a business decision that benefited them. Now pretty much all of them are smoke free besides the must be 21 to enter establishments.

Some of you really need to look at the big picture.

The problem with Indiana's focus on things like RFRA and defending the marriage ban isn't the little diner run by a couple of hilljacks in Martinsville who kick the gay couple out for creeping out their other customers. The real problem is the large national corporation thinking of relocating to Indianapolis, but changes their mind because they are afraid they won't be able to attract the best and brightest young adults to work for them there. These laws damage Indiana's economic future simply because they are on the books, regardless of how often or rarely they are ever put into use.

Until Jews/Muslims refuse to serve Christians...

then the uproar will begin. Holy wars right here in Indiana. Crusades!!!

Nothing in the language of the bill does it

talk about private business.....only thing it says is protects a private employer from an employee..

As a lawyer, go back and read the language to the bill and also the case law on this topic.

This is the federal law put in place by Clinton in the 90's. 30 states have similar language law. I believe it started being watered down and turning in favor of the government in the case of when the Native Americans in New Mexico ate Peyote (a religious right) and were drug tested and fired from their jobs. The judge ruled in favor of the employer.

This law protects people from being able to eat peyote!

It is so Cap can't sue whatever florists/photographers/caterers...

that are so incredibly stupid and homophobic that they decline to provide their private business's services to the floodgate of now gay legal wedding ceremonies.

Instead, he will have to get even by taking his business elsewhere, along with all the other gays and a bunch of the straights, and watch as intolerance gets squeezed out by the free market.

This post was edited on 3/24 3:12 PM by HA2740

Federal RFRA doesn't apply to the states.

The Court ruled it unconstitutional.

Again, the key language is that someone can assert the defense even in cases in which the state is not a party. That is how it applies to private businesses.

And again, this has never been a secret. The proponents of the law have been very clear what this is about.

If I am Muslim, can I turn away women not wearing a burqua or hijab?

Does it stop at a right to not provide service? Can I make my female staff wear floor length dresses or be fired? Can I fire an atheist for being an apostate? Can I make sure any gay staff know they are an abomination and will be fired if they don't go to gay reparitive therapy. Can I start beating my wife for being unruly?

Earth is a haven for galactic retards

We make laws based on belief of a myth created when ass wiping was innovative and new. Aliens laugh at us.

The one thing I'll never understand about this is

If I caught the ghey and wanted to marry a guy went into a bakery to order a cake...the owner said it's against our views to make that cake, I'd find another place because I'm guessing you're not getting the best cakes.

Why is it ok not nobody cares about the "for women only" workout places that's discrimination in the name of the business.

The NFL and NCAA are too dumb and arrogant to respond until Indy...

has at least 2 more Super Bowls and 6 FFs. Perhaps after that and public shaming crusade, they will take the time "to examine the issue." Of course, this is all speculation because most of us will be dead by then.

If you own an eating place can I make you make me bacon?

Or some nice bbq pork?

Honestly that's a scary thought, but....

Look, I am one of those hilljacks from So. Indiana so I get what you're saying. I farm and run a greenhouse business with quite a bit of retail traffic. I'm certain I have customers whose views are different than mine, and I could care less. If a silly law that's never used and is intended to make a segment of the state happy keeps businesses from relocating to Indiana then they probably don't have strong management and wouldn't make it anyway IMO. There are crazy archaic laws in every state, it gives our reps. something to do. Laws are passed daily on the local/state and national levels that are simply there to appease a voting bloc. Our current president is notorious for it as are several republican governors. Businesses see through the red tape and tax breaks and incentives makes shareholders forget all about silly politics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT