ADVERTISEMENT

Move on and burn the film, but also fire Walt Bell and burn his contract along with the film.

Hoosiers47614

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2019
JFC, that was hell. The only, ONLY redeeming thing about it is that we found a way to win in the end, unlike so many similar games.

This game reminds me in a lot of ways of the 2015 SIU game. Big favorite, some level of optimism around the team, and needing overtime to avoid an unbelievable disaster. The difference being that SIU was a shootout with no defense, in typical KW fashion, while this game was an offensive slog, in typical Allen fashion. That 2015 team found its way to a bowl game despite a terrible performance, and so can this one.

HOWEVER, Walt Bell should be given his belongings in a garbage bag and fired into the sun tonight. What the f*** was he doing??? He had two good calls in the entire game, the missed two-point where Tayven missed the most open receiver in the history of football, and the game-winning conversion. Other than that, all the meager production we had was in spite of him. Camper made three great plays on calls that appeared to be "just throw it up and pray" where the scheme did nothing to get him open, and the very few successful runs all felt essentially like flukes with no reason you could point to for why they worked.

And he is, possibly (probably) the worst, least creative short-yardage play-caller I've seen in my entire life. IU gets the pick in the red zone in the first half after our first touchdown, a situation where the goal is to establish control in the game over a lesser opponent so that we don't end up in the situation we did, and what does he do? Run up the middle, run up the middle, and then, here's a huge twist, two Wildcat runs up the middle. ****ing absurd. And then he did the same s*** on the goal line in the 4th quarter, which made Allen settle for the field goal because he, rightfully, had no confidence we could score from one yard out, and that kept the game in reach for Akron.

Oh, and don't forget the uncountable number of short-side option plays, of which, at most, two worked for any meaningful yardage. Or the time our defense forced a three-and-out early in the second half and he proceeded to go: short-side speed option for -7, Run up the middle for 7 (mostly fine), and then short-side speed option for 0 on 3rd and 10! WTF?!!! I hate him, I genuinely hate him. I have given him so much benefit of the doubt up to now: Maryland was a field hospital when he was there, Willie Taggart was a terrible coach at FSU, UMASS was a terrible program before and after him, etc. But no, he just ****ing sucks. How he ever managed 40+ at Arkansas State or his one decent season at Maryland completely boggles my mind. He is clueless. Debord, but worse.

No more flushing without consequences. Someone could write an organizational behavior book about how to mismanage the quarterback position on a college football team.

LEO!

Tom Allen pretends to have this complete bullshit competition for the backup and starting quarterback positions and then they stick Donovan McCulley in with the game on the line.

If I was Sorsby I would pack my bags right now. Walt Bell is clueless. Absolutely ****ing clueless. Not surprising that the Hoosiers elected the backup quarterback to be the team captain and then he transferred out! Actions have consequences!

Fire Bell now. What a nightmare!

Last edited:
JFC, that was hell. The only, ONLY redeeming thing about it is that we found a way to win in the end, unlike so many similar games.

This game reminds me in a lot of ways of the 2015 SIU game. Big favorite, some level of optimism around the team, and needing overtime to avoid an unbelievable disaster. The difference being that SIU was a shootout with no defense, in typical KW fashion, while this game was an offensive slog, in typical Allen fashion. That 2015 team found its way to a bowl game despite a terrible performance, and so can this one.

HOWEVER, Walt Bell should be given his belongings in a garbage bag and fired into the sun tonight. What the f*** was he doing??? He had two good calls in the entire game, the missed two-point where Tayven missed the most open receiver in the history of football, and the game-winning conversion. Other than that, all the meager production we had was in spite of him. Camper made three great plays on calls that appeared to be "just throw it up and pray" where the scheme did nothing to get him open, and the very few successful runs all felt essentially like flukes with no reason you could point to for why they worked.

And he is, possibly (probably) the worst, least creative short-yardage play-caller I've seen in my entire life. IU gets the pick in the red zone in the first half after our first touchdown, a situation where the goal is to establish control in the game over a lesser opponent so that we don't end up in the situation we did, and what does he do? Run up the middle, run up the middle, and then, here's a huge twist, two Wildcat runs up the middle. ****ing absurd. And then he did the same s*** on the goal line in the 4th quarter, which made Allen settle for the field goal because he, rightfully, had no confidence we could score from one yard out, and that kept the game in reach for Akron.

Oh, and don't forget the uncountable number of short-side option plays, of which, at most, two worked for any meaningful yardage. Or the time our defense forced a three-and-out early in the second half and he proceeded to go: short-side speed option for -7, Run up the middle for 7 (mostly fine), and then short-side speed option for 0 on 3rd and 10! WTF?!!! I hate him, I genuinely hate him. I have given him so much benefit of the doubt up to now: Maryland was a field hospital when he was there, Willie Taggart was a terrible coach at FSU, UMASS was a terrible program before and after him, etc. But no, he just ****ing sucks. How he ever managed 40+ at Arkansas State or his one decent season at Maryland completely boggles my mind. He is clueless. Debord, but worse.
My recollection is that SIU team featured Brandon Jacobs, future NY Giants Two Time Super Bowl winning RB, who was known for breaking tackles in the NFL. Crying over that loss, seems to ignore that fact.

I can’t argue that Walt’s offense has been inspiring, overall.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Golden boy Borstad,, who walks on water around here, cannot field an OL that can move a MAC line 1 yard.
And our DL is absolutely pathetic. No pass rush. Zero speed. Constantly get pushed around. Across the board, Carter included,
DTs,? Awful.all this hype and that is a result of having a head coach who is completely oblivious to what is needed to win at this level.

Over there in the huddle clapping his hands after his line parts like the Red Sea an allows a guy to run 71 yards for a TD through our Swiss Cheese DL.

Last edited:
No more flushing without consequences. Someone could write an organizational behavior book about how to mismanage the quarterback position on a college football team.

LEO!

Tom Allen pretends to have this complete bullshit competition for the backup and starting quarterback positions and then they stick Donovan McCulley in with the game on the line.

If I was Sorsby I would pack my bags right now. Walt Bell is clueless. Absolutely ****ing clueless. Not surprising that the Hoosiers elected the backup quarterback to be the team captain and then he transferred out! Actions have consequences!

Fire Bell now. What a nightmare!

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Golden boy Borstad,, who walks on water around here, cannot field an OL that can move a MAC line 1 yard.
And our DL is absolutely pathetic. No pass rush. Zero speed. Constantly get pushed around. Across the board, Carter included,
DTs,? Awful.all this hype and that is a result of having a head coach who is completely oblivious to what is needed to win at this level.

Over there in the huddle clapping his hands after his line parts like the Red Sea an allows a guy to run 71 yards for a TD through our Swiss Cheese DL.
Agree on OL concerns. Disagree somewhat on DL. They were getting pressure all night it seemed. They couldn’t get home on it though.

My recollection is that SIU team featured Brandon Jacobs, future NY Giants Two Time Super Bowl winning RB, who was known for breaking tackles in the NFL. Crying over that loss, seems to ignore that fact.

I can’t argue that Walt’s offense has been inspiring, overall.
Brandon Jacobs did play for SIU, but during the early 2000s, not in 2015.

He was even already gone before the 2006 game IU lost to SIU.

yeah. maybe it wasn't all Hiller.

Kind of reminded me of Clappy Crean, where did that get us? LEO

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Well screaming and berating … perhaps not … adult conversations and hard coaching certainly.
Last night was a regression from OSU, ISU, and UL.
Perhaps the only performances that were on par were Camper’s and Evans’
Yeah not the berating part. I've been in a film room with coaches losing their minds, it can get your attention 😂

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
To three sweet 16s and 2 conference championships in 5 years?
Sounds good, made the tournament 4 out 9 seasons (if you want to count the Shockers loss as an appearance) all in the middle of his ten-year with great talent like Watford, Hulls, Oladipo and Zeller. What could have been. Then went downhill quickly with back-to-back losing seasons. I did like that he reached out to Martha for help!

Well screaming and berating … perhaps not … adult conversations and hard coaching certainly.
Last night was a regression from OSU, ISU, and UL.
Perhaps the only performances that were on par were Camper’s and Evans’
IDK, Evans's last two games have been kind of rough.
Had several short punts against Louisville and a couple last night.

When the combined personal fouls occurred on an IU player and an Akron player last night, there was a tv shot of the Akron coach in the players face while on the other side we watched Allen clap his hands and a pat on the back. Taunting, late hits, running into the kicker on punt return player are no problem on this team and will result in no bench time, thus insuring they will continue to occur as they have year after year.

Last night was a disgraceful performance by a team that showed up unprepared or ready to play as has happened several times with Allen teams in Bloomington. This team is undisciplined like all of his teams. We can rant about the play calling and the OC but our defense had its moments too. A 99-yard certain TD was missed because the Akron receiver dropped the ball with the defender 5-6 yards behind him, missed tackles, approaching 500 yards total offense by a mid-major team that will have a losing season just as they did last year.

No one wanted Allen to succeed more than me and I understand he is a good person. All these negative comments are coming from a grad who has watched IU football since the 1950's and had season tickets for many years before age made attendance more difficult. Someone commented on another post that the AD needs to up the budget so Allen can hire better coaching staff but that is ignoring the competence of the head man. We have another bad team in our coach's seventh year, and it isn't going to get better. Dolson must find the donors again to pony up the money to end this ridiculous contract he made and start again.

I'd much prefer to be wrong.

You mean Akron found a way to lose. They missed a relatively short field goal in the middle of the field. But your take on the play-calling is accurate. I could never understand running option to the short side of the field, for no other reason that A) there is less room to maneuver, and B) the defense has less ground to cover. As for the runs up the middle, especially with Jaylin Lucas, they're incomprehensible. All summer long, CTA said they wanted to get Lucas "in space." Running into the middle of the line is not "in space." We have a back, Trent Howland, who for some reason never gets in the game, who is 6'3, 235. Every time he has had a rare carry, he's moved the pile. He should have gotten the call against Louisville. But back to the play-calling. Our QB has a strong arm, so we should be throwing two out of three downs, unless we gain at least 7 yards on a run on first down. We do not know our own personnel. Look how long it took for Dexter Williams to play last year. And when he did, we beat Michigan State on the road. We had a "quarterback competition" in the summer, but it seems kind of obvious that Tayven Jackson should have been named the starter for three reasons: strong arm, mobile, and 6'5".

You mean Akron found a way to lose. They missed a relatively short field goal in the middle of the field. But your take on the play-calling is accurate. I could never understand running option to the short side of the field, for no other reason that A) there is less room to maneuver, and B) the defense has less ground to cover. As for the runs up the middle, especially with Jaylin Lucas, they're incomprehensible. All summer long, CTA said they wanted to get Lucas "in space." Running into the middle of the line is not "in space." We have a back, Trent Howland, who for some reason never gets in the game, who is 6'3, 235. Every time he has had a rare carry, he's moved the pile. He should have gotten the call against Louisville. But back to the play-calling. Our QB has a strong arm, so we should be throwing two out of three downs, unless we gain at least 7 yards on a run on first down. We do not know our own personnel. Look how long it took for Dexter Williams to play last year. And when he did, we beat Michigan State on the road. We had a "quarterback competition" in the summer, but it seems kind of obvious that Tayven Jackson should have been named the starter for three reasons: strong arm, mobile, and 6'5".
Running it to the boundary side is done to take advantage of numbers that are in our favor. Won’t be surprised if go away from it as it’s pretty clear teams have scouted the formation and are blowing it up.

When the combined personal fouls occurred on an IU player and an Akron player last night, there was a tv shot of the Akron coach in the players face while on the other side we watched Allen clap his hands and a pat on the back. Taunting, late hits, running into the kicker on punt return player are no problem on this team and will result in no bench time, thus insuring they will continue to occur as they have year after year.

Last night was a disgraceful performance by a team that showed up unprepared or ready to play as has happened several times with Allen teams in Bloomington. This team is undisciplined like all of his teams. We can rant about the play calling and the OC but our defense had its moments too. A 99-yard certain TD was missed because the Akron receiver dropped the ball with the defender 5-6 yards behind him, missed tackles, approaching 500 yards total offense by a mid-major team that will have a losing season just as they did last year.

No one wanted Allen to succeed more than me and I understand he is a good person. All these negative comments are coming from a grad who has watched IU football since the 1950's and had season tickets for many years before age made attendance more difficult. Someone commented on another post that the AD needs to up the budget so Allen can hire better coaching staff but that is ignoring the competence of the head man. We have another bad team in our coach's seventh year, and it isn't going to get better. Dolson must find the donors again to pony up the money to end this ridiculous contract he made and start again.

I'd much prefer to be wrong.
He makes a ton of money. Everyone says we have to get serious about football. We are serious; we just are not making the right choices. You tell me there isn't an up-and-coming coach who wouldn't take the job for almost $5 million a year? I always liked him and how we have recruited, but that can only be sustained by success on the field. That said, I think our offensive play-calling would be better if we on this message board called the plays by committee, with a few votes from followers on X (formerly known as Twitter).

Your wish was granted … a week later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT