ADVERTISEMENT

Butina, Torshin and the NRA/GOP

I'm confused. Surely you guys aren't trying to tell me that black guys aren't better endowed, are you? I mean c'mon, that's common knowledge. My grandpa and dad and uncle all said they were...
Nope, that’s not what we are saying. I think we ( or at least me) are saying that with guys, it’s most def NOT all the same. What a turn this thread has taken....

Disappointed. She is not unattractive but she's no James Bond femme fatale either.
She's all yours.
butina.jpg

Reactions: MrBing
The DOJ complaint against Maria Butina yesterday was overshadowed by the Treason Summit. But there are pics of both her and Torshin with numerous NRA officials and GOP politicos, that in light of the FBI investigation into more Russian meddling, are going to prove embarrassing.

"Monday’s bombshell Department of Justice complaint accusing Maria Butina, a Russian national, of secretly infiltrating the National Rifle Association (NRA) was full of remarkable detail, and even more remarkable implications.

All told, the DOJ complaint accused Butina and Russian official Alexander Torshin — himself previously accused by Spanish authorities of massive money laundering and mob ties — of building ties with the NRA to get close to to Republican leadership.

As one of the unnamed Americans listed in the complaint wrote in October, a month before the U.S. presidential election, Butina and Torshin had helped build a “VERY private line of communication between the Kremlin” and Republican party leaders, describing the NRA as a “conduit.”

The ties between Torshin, who was sanctioned by the U.S. in April, and the NRA have been scrutinized for the past few months — all the more as Torshin said he and Butina were the only two Russian nationals he knew of who were lifetime NRA members."

https://thinkprogress.org/here-are-...tive-activists-maria-butina-met-134988a75bbb/

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/12/13/politics/maria-butina-guilty-plea/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

Not to get all conspiracy theorist, but is this NRA tie possibly the reason Republicans in Congress have avoided addressing these issues? From McConnell refusing to publicize Russian interference with Obama before the 2016 election to the current Senate apathy to even consider these acts, one has to wonder what the hell is going on.

Not to get all conspiracy theorist, but is this NRA tie possibly the reason Republicans in Congress have avoided addressing these issues? From McConnell refusing to publicize Russian interference with Obama before the 2016 election to the current Senate apathy to even consider these acts, one has to wonder what the hell is going on.
Wouldn't it be fun to see the Butina/NRA thing roll up a bunch of congress men and women.

Russians were awfully confident they could infiltrate the pubs.

Long multi-tread answer.

You can’t make this chit up. Seriously.

Erickson better cooperate- or he could very likely be charged with treason. Don’t forget that the NRA contributed a butt load of money to Trump’s campaign- I wonder how much of that $$$ originated from Russia?

The Butina plea document is perhaps one of the most revealing things out in the public to this point. Among the many that have been released.

Folks, none of this is normal. And if you think that none of this stuff is a big deal, you’re loosening/ignoring safeguards that have been built into our constitution.

And, this might explain some of he fierce resistance to the Mueller probe. Folks don’t want this dirty laundry to air.

Just when I think the Mueller probe may be winding down a little, it continues on. Only, it’s not as if they’re furthering it just to find something. Under every rock they turn over, they find two more rocks to turn over. It’s insane how deep the Russians were able to penetrate the NRA, the GOP & the Trump campaign.

Again, thank god for the free press. They are on fire right now. I doubt we’ve ever had a stretch of reporting like this re: a president’s wrongdoing, outside of maybe watergate. But even watergate was mostly two journalists at one publication. This involves a LOT of different outlets, that are all working their collective tails off to inform us as citizens about what’s going on.

Also, and this just broke, apparently foreign governments (middle eastern) are under investigation for contributing to both Trump’s super pac & inauguration fund. Which is a blatant violation of US law. Yes, another blatant violation of US law involving the sitting US president.

This is exactly what scared me about the Trump candidacy, and what pissed me off about the false equivalencies equating Clinton to Trump. Trump’s world view was pay for play, and $$$ can buy literally anything. Including, it now seems, influence and policy directly from his administration. And I don’t want to hear any whatabouts concerning the Clinton foundation. It was a very highly rated charity- a YUGE difference from the crap Trump and his team was doing. They’re not even in the same universe.

This isn’t going to end well. I thought I’d be happy to learn about more of this stuff being exposed. Instead, it makes me very worried and concerned about the impending disaster. Yes, I’d rather suffer through two more years of Trump, than watch a large scale uncovering of massive corruotion play out at the highest levels of our government (not saying I’d like to ignore it, but I wish it had never happened).

There’s no way this won’t weaken our country. Even more than Trump already has done.

Is anyone else in the same place I am right now? More apprehension than satisfaction that everything is coming to light.

Erickson better cooperate- or he could very likely be charged with treason. Don’t forget that the NRA contributed a butt load of money to Trump’s campaign- I wonder how much of that $$$ originated from Russia?

The Butina plea document is perhaps one of the most revealing things out in the public to this point. Among the many that have been released.

Folks, none of this is normal. And if you think that none of this stuff is a big deal, you’re loosening/ignoring safeguards that have been built into our constitution.

And, this might explain some of he fierce resistance to the Mueller probe. Folks don’t want this dirty laundry to air.

Just when I think the Mueller probe may be winding down a little, it continues on. Only, it’s not as if they’re furthering it just to find something. Under every rock they turn over, they find two more rocks to turn over. It’s insane how deep the Russians were able to penetrate the NRA, the GOP & the Trump campaign.

Again, thank god for the free press. They are on fire right now. I doubt we’ve ever had a stretch of reporting like this re: a president’s wrongdoing, outside of maybe watergate. But even watergate was mostly two journalists at one publication. This involves a LOT of different outlets, that are all working their collective tails off to inform us as citizens about what’s going on.

Also, and this just broke, apparently foreign governments (middle eastern) are under investigation for contributing to both Trump’s super pac & inauguration fund. Which is a blatant violation of US law. Yes, another blatant violation of US law involving the sitting US president.

This is exactly what scared me about the Trump candidacy, and what pissed me off about the false equivalencies equating Clinton to Trump. Trump’s world view was pay for play, and $$$ can buy literally anything. Including, it now seems, influence and policy directly from his administration. And I don’t want to hear any whatabouts concerning the Clinton foundation. It was a very highly rated charity- a YUGE difference from the crap Trump and his team was doing. They’re not even in the same universe.

This isn’t going to end well. I thought I’d be happy to learn about more of this stuff being exposed. Instead, it makes me very worried and concerned about the impending disaster. Yes, I’d rather suffer through two more years of Trump, than watch a large scale uncovering of massive corruotion play out at the highest levels of our government (not saying I’d like to ignore it, but I wish it had never happened).

There’s no way this won’t weaken our country. Even more than Trump already has done.

Is anyone else in the same place I am right now? More apprehension than satisfaction that everything is coming to light.

I wonder where the WC Witch-hunt proponents are now?

I wonder where the WC Witch-hunt proponents are now?

A lot of this stuff has been hinted at in previous reporting. From legitimate, reporters actually get fired for screwing up- type news sources. You know, what all Americans used to trust until some @ssholes (mostly on the right) decided that creating an alternate world was profitable. And scaring people and demonizing “the other side” then took precedent over the truth.

I refuse to call them the MSM- I prefer to say that they’re the “real” media, that actually covers truth.

What’s sad is that many of the folks that will still scream “witch hunt”! will never learn of or believe any of this. They’re too far down the rabbit hole of “alternative facts”- narratives involving the BS they’ve been fed for years.

I’ve tried to engage those folks, but they just aren’t interested. It doesn’t mater what you show them in terms of sourcing, and actual facts. They’d rather just live in a state of ignorance. I get it- it’s painful to learn and admit that you’ve been duped, especially over a long period of time.

I’ve said it before, but I promise not to gloat when this is all said and done. I’ll be too damn depressed to do it anyway. I take no pleasure in this stuff- it’s frightening.

Reactions: sglowrider
A lot of this stuff has been hinted at in previous reporting. From legitimate, reporters actually get fired for screwing up- type news sources. You know, what all Americans used to trust until some @ssholes (mostly on the right) decided that creating an alternate world was profitable. And scaring people and demonizing “the other side” then took precedent over the truth.

I refuse to call them the MSM- I prefer to say that they’re the “real” media, that actually covers truth.

What’s sad is that many of the folks that will still scream “witch hunt”! will never learn of or believe any of this. They’re too far down the rabbit hole of “alternative facts”- narratives involving the BS they’ve been fed for years.

I’ve tried to engage those folks, but they just aren’t interested. It doesn’t mater what you show them in terms of sourcing, and actual facts. They’d rather just live in a state of ignorance. I get it- it’s painful to learn and admit that you’ve been duped, especially over a long period of time.

I’ve said it before, but I promise not to gloat when this is all said and done. I’ll be too damn depressed to do it anyway. I take no pleasure in this stuff- it’s frightening.

I had lunch with a cousin yesterday. Had a chuckle. He apparently has been blocked by his own brother in law who is a Texan (from Fort Worth/Dallas I think) evangelical Trump supporter.

My cousin who has a PhD in Psychology but could afford to retire early will happily watch CNN, MSNBC, BBC and Fox -- and drinks beers in the afternoons would troll his brother in law and engage him on Trump. Or used to! :rolleyes:

It was pointless with me since we belong to the same choir. He got bored and went back to watching Fox, smirking away!

I had lunch with a cousin yesterday. Had a chuckle. He apparently has been blocked by his own brother in law who is a Texan (from Fort Worth/Dallas I think) evangelical Trump supporter.

My cousin who has a PhD in Psychology but could afford to retire early will happily watch CNN, MSNBC, BBC and Fox -- and drinks beers in the afternoons would troll his brother in law and engage him on Trump. Or used to! :rolleyes:

It was pointless with me since we belong to the same choir. He got bored and went back to watching Fox, smirking away!

I literally don’t talk politics with my father anymore. He is sucked into the right wing media bubble. And has been for a LONG time. He was an early Rush Limbaugh supporter.

I got tired of hearing talking points- many of which weren’t grounded in facts. Lots of “well, this group does this”. Like any group of people is completely monolithic or something. This board is a pretty good example of that not being true.

The last time this came up, I asked him if we could approach our conversation in a way that was label free, and start where we agree on a topic. Go very broad, so we can agree on something. I told him that we will likely agree on most general principles. It’s probably just the details of how to get there where we will differ.

Hopefully it works.

I literally don’t talk politics with my father anymore. He is sucked into the right wing media bubble. And has been for a LONG time. He was an early Rush Limbaugh supporter.

I got tired of hearing talking points- many of which weren’t grounded in facts. Lots of “well, this group does this”. Like any group of people is completely monolithic or something. This board is a pretty good example of that not being true.

The last time this came up, I asked him if we could approach our conversation in a way that was label free, and start where we agree on a topic. Go very broad, so we can agree on something. I told him that we will likely agree on most general principles. It’s probably just the details of how to get there where we will differ.

Hopefully it works.

Good luck dude. I don't have that issue within my family in the States not folks over here. Only thing I used to do was explain how he got there and defend the system.
Problem is they see him as the representative of the Country. So in their view the US is now full of crap, a crude and hypocritical lying bunch of people now.

Problem is they see him as the representative of the Country. So in their view the US is now full of crap, a crude and hypocritical lying bunch of people now.
That's not an unreasonable position to take under the circumstances. Until we prove that not to be the case.

That's not an unreasonable position to take under the circumstances. Until we prove that not to be the case.

It’s going to take a massive outreach effort to regain trust and influence after this administration. There’s still several key diplomatic posts open- like the ambassador for South Korea.

If we had people in those positions, at least we could’ve maintained a relationship. This administration seems content to not worry about long term relationships- unless if helps Trump’s business. Then, it’ll allow any behavior by the country, even if it’s behavior is horrible. Hell, they’ll even offer advice on how to “weather the storm” (Kushner to MBS, let a few reports).

“Soft” power is critical to our national & security interests. And this administration appears to have no clue about it.

Reactions: sglowrider
It’s going to take a massive outreach effort to regain trust and influence after this administration. There’s still several key diplomatic posts open- like the ambassador for South Korea.

If we had people in those positions, at least we could’ve maintained a relationship. This administration seems content to not worry about long term relationships- unless if helps Trump’s business. Then, it’ll allow any behavior by the country, even if it’s behavior is horrible. Hell, they’ll even offer advice on how to “weather the storm” (Kushner to MBS, let a few reports).

“Soft” power is critical to our national & security interests. And this administration appears to have no clue about it.
We have an Ambassador to the ROK. It’s Ambassador Harry Harris, retired four star Admiral. Even before he was appointed and confirmed we were represented by the Chief of Mission. We always have representation. Coincidentally, I was corresponding with a Colonel in JUSMAG-Korea this week about some future training for ROK officers. Our relationship with the ROK is healthy.

I’m convinced of some criminal behavior, but where are you getting the treason possibility? I see the chances of anyone being charged with treading to be about zero. It’s an extremely high bar. Who you thinking of and why?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT