ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else tired of "the sky is falling" and "fire Woodson"

No more portal, it's mostly all damaged goods. The portal needs to be examined for the occasional role player that wants to be closer to home or for some reason like that. There are no stars in the portal and it shouldn't be viewed as just as good as recruiting. Plus, it's not like we own the portal, the few talented players that find themselves there for non-troubling reasons will still gravitate to good programs, which we are not at the moment. You can find gold in JC players, they are there because of grades, not problems
No portal..
Really. ?
If that's the case Indiana is in the basement next year..Or very close ..
Texas ..8 transfers...Solid seed in selection Sunday..

No portal..
Really. ?
Yeah I'm not buying the 'lack of talent' thing. I'm a broken record but I truly felt we needed to have an 'over achieving' season....we had the opposite.

I agree that the roster might not have been an exact, perfect match to what Woodson wants to do but...that's a unicorn statement. Most teams don't have an exact match...the best coaches work with what they got.

I don't know when we'll have another upperclassmen, pre season All American to anchor the team. Those are also unicorns.

Not sure when we'll have as many experienced older players as we did this season.

If everyone stays, we'll need some big breakouts to happen. Geronimo and Bates are going to need to be trusted scorers. I can see it happening (Geronimo has shown incredible flashes), but it hasn't yet.

Galloway will be a spark plug but...not sure how reliable he will be as a scorer.

Our post might be Durr and Duncome (who I really like as a prospect) but going to be a transformational downgrade. So transformational that we're going to completely change how our offense flows. I expect it will topsy turvy how our offense will run.

Our post offense and defense are most likely coming way down.

I expect the team will run through Bates, Geronimo, Galloway and Xavier.

Lots of wing focus.

I don't think the set up will be as complete as this year was, and since we underachieved and possibly killed momentum.... I'm officially really concerned now.

Reactions: SRIV94 and .Gerdis
I agree that the roster might not have been an exact, perfect match to what Woodson wants to do but...that's a unicorn statement. Most teams don't have an exact match...the best coaches work with what they got.
It's no where near. Perfect would be 3 ball handlers 1 thru 3 that are triple threat, a four that is a triple threat, and a post who is a rim protector and dunker. We check one spot the one most important to defense and least important to offense. If we had a perfect lineup a back to the basket post up would be option five.

We have a 1 that can't shoot 3's off the bounce when guarded. That's important. A 2 and 3 that can't drive, or create for themselves, or others. Nor can either shoot off the bounce (again important - look at Harper for an example how that can be used in close games) A four that can barely shoot, and is just recently converting to that position who plays much better in the paint, and a five that doesn't shoot past 15' .. that's a lot of ill fitting pieces.

Even Nebraska has players that can shoot off the bounce and create. We have Rob, who sometimes can, and most often can't. Tamar? The game is just too fast for him right now. Give him a year.. Trey can't shoot .. X, is open for a reason, at least he's burning them for doing it.

And seriously, yes, other teams have weaknesses, but start adding them up and see how they fit together.

Having a post go to guy, without perimeter balance almost always equals .. bad offense.

Last edited:
No portal..
Really. ?
Without the portal sadly we are botton feeders next year. We lose all our scoring basically. I dont like the portal either but we got nothing coming back per say if all the seniors leave.

It's no where near. Perfect would be 3 ball handlers 1 thru 3 that are triple threat, a four that is a triple threat, and a post who is a rim protector and dunker. We check one spot the one most important to defense and least important to offense. If we had a perfect lineup a back to the basket post up would be option five.

We have a 1 that can't shoot 3's off the bounce when guarded. That's important. A 2 and 3 that can't drive, or create for themselves, or others. Nor can either shoot off the bounce (again important - look at Harper for an example how that can be used in close games) A four that can barely shoot, and is just recently converting to that position who plays much better in the paint, and a five that doesn't shoot past 15' .. that's a lot of ill fitting pieces.

Even Nebraska has players that can shoot off the bounce and create. We have Rob, who sometimes can, and most often can't. Tamar? The game is just too fast for him right now. Give him a year.. Trey can't shoot .. X, is open for a reason, at least he's burning them for doing it.

And seriously, yes, other teams have weaknesses, but start adding them up and see how they fit together.

Having a post go to guy, without perimeter balance almost always equals .. bad offense.
I don't disagree but I'm not sure when we'll ever have that perfect set up.

I don't see it currently unless we get some tremendous growth or find some magic on the portal.

Other than the Rutgers game (where we did miss an exorbitant amount of wide open threes), our offense is what it is...a bottom of the conference offense.

I also don't think we had a challenging conference schedule (which is basically luck of the draw), so I can't point to that.

As much as we like to point to the close games that got away (and there are many), we tend to forget that we are an extremely tough three point shot by Rob from being no where near the bubble.

That stuff tends to even out.

I'm not calling for Woodson's head but I'd be lying if I wasn't disappointed with a 9th place finish, under 500 season with our roster (upperclassmen all American, three other Per 20 players, nearly the rest of the roster being five and four star recruits) especially compared to, what I believe is a substandard conference talent season (I'll be surprised if anyone other than Purdue makes it past the sweet sixteen).

I thought the tournament was the bottom level expectation so, I don't think it's butthurt, just really, really, really concerned now.

As you know I have a love/hate relationship with my coaches of my favorite team. Growing up in an era where we knew our coach was a tremendous advantage....I still believe a college coach can be a huge advantage. That's why I was big on Porter Mosier but Woodson came in and knocked everything out of the park, building some really good momentum.

Watching us underachieve, with an unknown college coach that's now in his 60's and then looking around at other NBA coaches that came to college (currently looking at Ewing at G-town) yeah.....my biggest fear is losing momentum.

This blows.

Appreciate the informative post as always!

I don't disagree but I'm not sure when we'll ever have that perfect set up.

I don't see it currently unless we get some tremendous growth or find some magic on the portal.

Other than the Rutgers game (where we did miss an exorbitant amount of wide open threes), our offense is what it is...a bottom of the conference offense.

I also don't think we had a challenging conference schedule (which is basically luck of the draw), so I can't point to that.

As much as we like to point to the close games that got away (and there are many), we tend to forget that we are an extremely tough three point shot by Rob from being no where near the bubble.

That stuff tends to even out.

I'm not calling for Woodson's head but I'd be lying if I wasn't disappointed with a 9th place finish, under 500 season with our roster (upperclassmen all American, three other Per 20 players, nearly the rest of the roster being five and four star recruits) especially compared to, what I believe is a substandard conference talent season (I'll be surprised if anyone other than Purdue makes it past the sweet sixteen).

I thought the tournament was the bottom level expectation so, I don't think it's butthurt, just really, really, really concerned now.

As you know I have a love/hate relationship with my coaches of my favorite team. Growing up in an era where we knew our coach was a tremendous advantage....I still believe a college coach can be a huge advantage. That's why I was big on Porter Mosier but Woodson came in and knocked everything out of the park, building some really good momentum.

Watching us underachieve, with an unknown college coach that's now in his 60's and then looking around at other NBA coaches that came to college (currently looking at Ewing at G-town) yeah.....my biggest fear is losing momentum.

This blows.

Appreciate the informative post as always!
Wow a real post with facts and honestly that will probably get trashed but 100% true. This team should have made the ncaa you are correct.

No portal..
Really. ?
I didn't say that we wouldn't be in the basement next year. In fact, I can almost guarantee we will be. Using the portal to cover up and at best we might replicate this year's results and tie up a bunch of open spots by trying to patch things again for the same results. If we have holes, which we will, look to JC first and get actual talent that we can commit to and build on. This roster needs a major purge and what we have coming needs to be thrown to the fire from day1, that's the only way we break this losing mentality. They need to get tired of being mediocre and get tired of losing

Yeah I'm not buying the 'lack of talent' thing. I'm a broken record but I truly felt we needed to have an 'over achieving' season....we had the opposite.

I don't know when we'll have another upperclassmen, pre season All American to anchor the team. Those are also unicorns.

Not sure when we'll have as many experienced older players as we did this season.

If everyone stays, we'll need some big breakouts to happen. Geronimo and Bates are going to need to be trusted scorers. I can see it happening (Geronimo has shown incredible flashes), but it hasn't yet.

Galloway will be a spark plug but...not sure how reliable he will be as a scorer.

Our post might be Durr and Duncome (who I really like as a prospect) but going to be a transformational downgrade. So transformational that we're going to completely change how our offense flows. I expect it will topsy turvy how our offense will run.

Our post offense and defense are most likely coming way down.

I expect the team will run through Bates, Geronimo, Galloway and Xavier.

Lots of wing focus.

I don't think the set up will be as complete as this year was, and since we underachieved and possibly killed momentum.... I'm officially really concerned now.
I was just listening to the indiana sports beat and they said what I think. We have this all star coaching staff but is woodson actually listening to matta or fife? Matta is a coaching genius and we arent seeing it even though the roster is flawed. If he leaves after the season it is very telling. Same with fife.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I'm not sure when we'll ever have that perfect set up.
Probably not, but closer than this. We need a playmaker.

Add that one guy that can dribble, create space, and make shots and it's a whole different team.

Like for example Wisconsin's flawed lineup, add that guy, it suddenly becomes conference champs. They had close games too. The difference. The player that could and did get his own, closing them. We don't even need a Davis, a Frazier would have been fine.

In modern basketball the post up has the least likely chance of succeeding, and in end game, in a close game, it doesn't work. Too many moving parts. then consider that TJD doesn't have that complex a skill package. Still hard to guard, for one person, but not a team. We have to hit perimeter shots to win.

Last edited:
Probably not, but closer than this. We need a playmaker.

Add that one guy that can dribble, create space, and make shots and it's a whole different team.

Like for example Wisconsin's flawed lineup, add that guy, it suddenly becomes conference champs. They had close games too. The difference. The player that could and did get his own, closing them. We don't even need a Davis, a Frazier would have been fine.

In modern basketball the post up has the least likely chance of succeeding, and in end game, in a close game, it doesn't work. Too many moving parts. then consider that TJD doesn't have that complex a skill package. Still hard to guard, for one person, but not a team. We have to hit perimeter shots to win.
Yeah, if you add Davis to our roster we add a playmaker and a closer. We’ve struggled to execute late and he would help cure that.

The more interesting scenario is what would be the result if we completely flipped rosters with them? Too many hypotheticals to consider, especially as I am only on my first cup of coffee. Players aren’t robots, and where they play, who they play for and life and playing circumstances mold them into who they are. Perhaps Davis would be a different player if he was on Michigan, perhaps Davidson is the model of sportsmanship at NU. In any event, UW seems to be getting a lot of their programs success from the culture that they have built,the player development that they have, the coaching and the way that they mold players into their system.

I think IU could do the same with our staff. But it’s going to take time.

If stew or anyone else could have hit a few early, he would have busted it and made them go back to man... but he didn't. The gamble paid off .. next time it might not.

What I'm more tired of is drunks sitting on a couch saying stupid shit in relation to the coach. Every time the ball bounces the wrong way some numb nut ignorant MF has to say something stupid blaming Woody.

It's one game, one season, but nope 20 years of constipated impacted butthurt has replaced all sensible reasoning..
Exactly right. Just a bunch of novelists practicing their craft.

I wish I could like this 100 times. Has there been a few shaky games where we ran some sets I wasn’t thrilled about? Sure. But overall this team gets more wide open looks than any team we play. Every single team we go up against, especially at home hits a ton of contested 3s and jumpshots on us. And yet we can’t seem to knock down anywhere close to 50% of our wide open looks (like no defender within 5 feet when you start your shot open).

imo Woodson has somehow gotten Stewart/Kopp/Race (brothers turtle), as well as X and Rob seemingly half their shots wide the F open. I don’t even know how you do that at the college level. I am excited to see what Woodson can do when he gets some talented offensive players in here.
BINGO!!!

Everyone seems to forget he was a late hire.
He was going to be stuck with Archie's roster (remember everyone whining about how awful Archie was) except nearly all were already in the transfer portal.
So his initial, and late, recruiting was just to get a core group back.
Only after that did he have the opportunity to go after talent in a depleted transfer pool.
And yes, he's was behind on all the 2022 recruits and is late to the game with the 2023 recruits.

As for "he's never coached in college", what a total crock of sh-t. Same game as the pros, 5 men on each team and only 1 basketball. And he has a bench with several "college" coaches so we all know that's a specious argument at best.

The real problem, he was stuck with a team that has no mid-range or outside shooters.

So rather than ad hominem attacks please try and keep the comments on topic (which I know is impossible for some).
I think he deserves a couple of years to turn the program around. What he did with the defense around was no small feat.
I'm tired of being a lousy program who can't qualify for a 68 team tournament. Don't need to fire Woodson now but he better produce next season. Players miss shots, commit turnovers whatever. Good coaches overcome adversity and find a way. So far Woodson has not. Next season is crucial to see significant improvement. And he better be able to recruit.

He was going to be stuck with Archie's roster (remember everyone whining about how awful Archie was) except nearly all were already in the transfer portal.
But that could be said for anyone Indiana hired.

I'm tired of being a lousy program who can't qualify for a 68 team tournament. Don't need to fire Woodson now but he better produce next season. Players miss shots, commit turnovers whatever. Good coaches overcome adversity and find a way. So far Woodson has not. Next season is crucial to see significant improvement. And he better be able to recruit.
Or what? Fire him in year 2 because he doesn’t do what? Win 22? 23? 25? Jesus our fans are so unrealistic. Should Izzo have been fired in year 1 with 16 wins? How about year 2 with 17? How about two years ago when he won 19? Or two years ago when he won 15? Give the man some time and see if you like the direction of the program. If IU fires Woodson after year one or two, good luck every convincing anyone worth a damn to come here to coach.

I remember when we were 16-5 the same people saying Woodson is handcuffed with a lousy roster were singing his praises and talking about what a great coach he was. It went from he is a great coach to none of this is his fault and this team was never expected to make the NCAA,etc. The narrative changed very quickly from praise to it is not his fault.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I remember when we were 16-5 the same people saying Woodson is handcuffed with a lousy roster were singing his praises and talking about what a great coach he was. It went from he is a great coach to none of this is his fault and this team was never expected to make the NCAA,etc. The narrative changed very quickly from praise to it is not his fault.
Jesus Christ. You keep saying the same nonsensical shit. Every one is disappointed that the NCAAT is likely out of reach at this point barring some serious soul-searching, but this was never an NCAAT or else year. We have some good individual pieces but overall an extremely flawed roster. As others have pointed out, I'm far less concerned because our guys simply aren't executing rather than our coach getting out-schemed. There's a difference.

If execution is still lacking in year 2 it will be bothersome and if it continues into year 3 it becomes troublesome. Give Woodson at least a full year to get guys that fit his scheme and let the rest play itself out. You don't watch the games anyway so you don't need to worry anymore this year.

Reactions: Beorik
Just because water found its level doesn't really change the narrative on how good of a coach Woodson is. The incident at NW, right at a crucial time in the season which led to a 5 game losing streak, might be an indication of just how bad things got with player morale.

This is correct ..

fwiw - we (and the horrible offense created by Woodson's NBA buddies), generated 18 open 3 pt shots for our three best shooters. If they hit close to their percentage then this conversation doesn't happen. Anyone complaining about the coach, whose offense got 18 open looks from 3, doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground..
I saw a graphic that said we are ranked 3rd on open looks.

Jesus Christ. You keep saying the same nonsensical shit. Every one is disappointed that the NCAAT is likely out of reach at this point barring some serious soul-searching, but this was never an NCAAT or else year. We have some good individual pieces but overall an extremely flawed roster. As others have pointed out, I'm far less concerned because our guys simply aren't executing rather than our coach getting out-schemed. There's a difference.

If execution is still lacking in year 2 it will be bothersome and if it continues into year 3 it becomes troublesome. Give Woodson at least a full year to get guys that fit his scheme and let the rest play itself out. You don't watch the games anyway so you don't need to worry anymore this year.
This was always an NCAA tournament or bust year. The roster was easily good enough especially with a down year from the B1G and a terrible year from the ACC.

Year 2 will be horrid. Not sure how you can look at what we are losing and think we will be better.

I appreciate what TJD and Race has done for us but I am ready to be away from the two undersized post players as our go to guys. If one comes back great but both, not unless they can suddenly shoot, dribble and pass on the perimeter.

Yes......by necessity, our offense looks so out-of-date with R and T as our two best players. I really like the way the Rutgers center was used.....had as many points as T with 0 focus on getting him shots. Similar to how Baylor's bigs played last year.

It was also very noticeable when we played Wisconsin. When both teams were in the bonus we had race and TJD shooting FTs, they had Davis and Davidson. We can't win the close games that way.

Remember how good the team defense is, which will only improve with better athletes.

IUs defensive stats are really amazing considering the minutes Stewart and Kopp get. Stewart is average at best and Kopp is just bad. Not an effort issue. Any B1G guard/wing has him on skates.

I don’t want to pile on these guys. The effort is there. Just is what it is.
TJD's departure will negatively impact the D more than the O.

TJD's departure will negatively impact the D more than the O.
What is this sure he can shoot the three but he sounds like a last minute crean recruit. We need help now not in four years.

https://indiana.rivals.com/sign_up?promo_code=IU60
Indiana hosted numerous visitors for its game against Rutgers on Wednesday and a newer name that has recently started receiving more interest from Indiana is 2022 Centerville (OH) wing Rich Rolf.
Rolf is teammates with current 2023 Indiana commit Gabe Cupps at Centerville and made the trip to Bloomington for an unofficial visit.
The 6-foot-7 wing has had a spectacular season season averaging 17.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. He also shoots 57.8 percent from the field and 49.5 percent from three (54-of-109). He recently become a 1,000-point scorer for his career and is the all-time leading rebounder for the Centerville Elks basketball program.
Rolf was originally committed to Drexel but re-opened his recruitment back in October.
"The re-opening of my recruitment was a family decision," Rolf told TheHoosier.com. "I committed after taking an unofficial visit. When I went on my official visit, it just did not feel the same. I wanted something similar to what I’ve experienced at centerville and I just did not think Drexel was the best fit for me. Thus deciding for me to decommit."

What is this sure he can shoot the three but he sounds like a last minute crean recruit. We need help now not in four years.

https://indiana.rivals.com/sign_up?promo_code=IU60
Indiana hosted numerous visitors for its game against Rutgers on Wednesday and a newer name that has recently started receiving more interest from Indiana is 2022 Centerville (OH) wing Rich Rolf.
Rolf is teammates with current 2023 Indiana commit Gabe Cupps at Centerville and made the trip to Bloomington for an unofficial visit.
The 6-foot-7 wing has had a spectacular season season averaging 17.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. He also shoots 57.8 percent from the field and 49.5 percent from three (54-of-109). He recently become a 1,000-point scorer for his career and is the all-time leading rebounder for the Centerville Elks basketball program.
Rolf was originally committed to Drexel but re-opened his recruitment back in October.
"The re-opening of my recruitment was a family decision," Rolf told TheHoosier.com. "I committed after taking an unofficial visit. When I went on my official visit, it just did not feel the same. I wanted something similar to what I’ve experienced at centerville and I just did not think Drexel was the best fit for me. Thus deciding for me to decommit."
Yeah recruiting this late always worries me as well. Hopefully we have done our due diligence and he can help sooner rather than later.

Or what? Fire him in year 2 because he doesn’t do what? Win 22? 23? 25? Jesus our fans are so unrealistic. Should Izzo have been fired in year 1 with 16 wins? How about year 2 with 17? How about two years ago when he won 19? Or two years ago when he won 15? Give the man some time and see if you like the direction of the program. If IU fires Woodson after year one or two, good luck every convincing anyone worth a damn to come here to coach.
Make the tournament. That is not too much to ask. If we see no improvement next season, miss the tourney then do you want him around in year 3? I guess if we can't get anyone else but c'mon the dude has to at least squeak in the tourney. He should have done it this year.

Reactions: Chris A.
Yeah recruiting this late always worries me as well. Hopefully we have done our due diligence and he can help sooner rather than later.
He is not even listed on any recruiting boards. Like I said seems like a crean recruit. I am sure they like he hits threes at a high level but Drexel is not exactly top tier so I am guessing this is not an immediate help guy.

Make the tournament. That is not too much to ask. If we see no improvement next season, miss the tourney then do you want him around in year 3? I guess if we can't get anyone else but c'mon the dude has to at least squeak in the tourney. He should have done it this year.
My guess is yes he would want him around for year three and probably even year four. Maybe Woodson would just leave after year two if it is a dumpster fire but I dout it ego is probably way too big.

So yes you would have fired Izzo after year two. Gotcha. And yes I personally would not fire any basketball coach prior to 4 years unless there was an utter collapse or off the court issues.

He is not even listed on any recruiting boards. Like I said seems like a crean recruit. I am sure they like he hits threes at a high level but Drexel is not exactly top tier so I am guessing this is not an immediate help guy.
That sounds sketchy for sure. Fingers crossed its a diamond in the rough.

It is crazy. Our fans say the dumbest stuff.

So his initial, and late, recruiting was just to get a core group back.
Only after that did he have the opportunity to go after talent in a depleted transfer pool.
And yes, he's was behind on all the 2022 recruits and is late to the game with the 2023 recruits.

As for "he's never coached in college", what a total crock of sh-t. Same game as the pros, 5 men on each team and only 1 basketball. And he has a bench with several "college" coaches so we all know that's a specious argument at best.

The real problem, he was stuck with a team that has no mid-range or outside shooters.

So rather than ad hominem attacks please try and keep the comments on topic (which I know is impossible for some).
I think he deserves a couple of years to turn the program around. What he did with the defense around was no small feat.
The sky wont be falling if we beat purdue tomorrow. But alot of us would have to pinch ourselves to make sure we were not dreaming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT