ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical Question

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
Just to pass some offseason time, I'm curious on people's thoughts.

I know we all think next year's team offers more potential than this year's team. With that said, although Ballo is likely the best C in the B1G next year (IMO), I don't believe he's at the level of Ware. I mean Ware averaged more pts, and blocks while getting the same rebs...and that was while he had a PF named Reneau. Not to mention he could shoot 3's when left open. The real upgrade on the roster is our guard play, combined with Mbakgo having his sophomore leap.

So, do we think the guard play alone overcomes the idea that we will have 2 bigs down low fighting over paint space vs. both of our bigs being a threat to go out wide? Or maybe we plan to push Reneau out to shoot more often? Again, it's all nonsense talk for the sake of conversation on a boring spring Friday but was curious where the collective was at with this today?

Ahh, the off season…good question tho. Think (hope) our guard play opens up the interior more because they can create and hoping they are better 3 pt shooters (Mbako should be improved and will help) also guys we are bringing off the bench might be better 3 pt shooters than some of our starters last year. Think it was by design that Ware shot some 3 pointers to show he had range and he was left open. Some people are bashing on Tucker due to lack of 3 pt shooting but I like the mid range game because it is usually open, think JHS vs Purdue.
Lots of possibilities but we’ve been here before

Reactions: Tru2Irish and YOTHN

I know we all think next year's team offers more potential than this year's team. With that said, although Ballo is likely the best C in the B1G next year (IMO), I don't believe he's at the level of Ware. I mean Ware averaged more pts, and blocks while getting the same rebs...and that was while he had a PF named Reneau. Not to mention he could shoot 3's when left open. The real upgrade on the roster is our guard play, combined with Mbakgo having his sophomore leap.

So, do we think the guard play alone overcomes the idea that we will have 2 bigs down low fighting over paint space vs. both of our bigs being a threat to go out wide? Or maybe we plan to push Reneau out to shoot more often? Again, it's all nonsense talk for the sake of conversation on a boring spring Friday but was curious where the collective was at with this today?
Ballo averaged about 26 minutes a game. So I see us playing smaller lineups a lot of the game.
Key will be chemistry, shooting, FT shooting and team defense. On paper this looks good, but will they gel as a team?? TBD.

Reactions: YOTHN

My understanding is Ballo is more of a pick and roll, dive to the rim, offensive rebound...type big man, than anyone we're likely to post up on the low block. I think in many ways Ware also played this way, but he did have that added outside shooting ability. I think interior play will likely be par this year versus last year. Malik will improve, I'm sure. But overall, in his role at IU, playing alongside Malik, I'd say Ballo is overall a little bit of a downgrade versus what Ware gave us. Ware also played more minutes, on average, than we're likely to get out of Ballo. We had one of the better front courts in the conference last year though. And we will again this year.

The rest of the team will determine how much we improve, if we improve at all. On paper we're obviously better at every other position, and deeper. But we'll have to see how the games go, how they're all used, how they all play with each other. We have two major conference freshmen of the year winners, entering their 2nd full seasons. Rice isn't a traditional sophomore, but if both Rice and Mgbako make even moderate "sophomore jumps"...we should be a really good basketball team. That'll be 4 legit all conference level players.

After that...Carlyle is more than capable, and like Mgbako, it appeared he got stronger as the year wore on last year. Tucker is a highly rated frosh wing. Gallo is a proven solid player. Goode is a proven shooter, that has some size.

Cupps started most of last year, and when he was playing with the other starters, he led one of the more efficient teams in the country. Leal was the primary reason for our improved play late in the year last year, and basically any time he's gotten minutes at IU, he's shown himself to be solid and impactful. Newton no one knows what to expect. But the exciting thing about Newton is his size as a guard, and his versatility. If he's fully healthy, he's a guy that will be able to guard multiple perimeter positions, and won't get outphysicalled by anyone.

I've said this recently a fair bit...but the only hole we have remaining on our roster is depth in the post. We need a solid big man that will be able to defend and rebound against B10 level bigs, when either or both of Ballo and Reneau are out of the game.

Guards upgrade and MM (assuming healthy all season) busting loose is why we will be better. The question is to what extent. I think it's likely MM will be our leading scorer next season.

I think it's being underplayed how
much upside there would be to having an athletic, rim running, and elite wing defender, who in a pinch, is big enough to hold his own for a 4 min segment in the post, and who could close games where IU is up 8-12 points.

I mean, look around the BIG, what bigs scare you with their size and interior offensive game?

Reese, Crowl, Golden, TKR, any other newcomers I'm missing?

I have no idea about the West Coast schools so cannot comment on anything with them.

Reactions: aajohn2000
I think it's being underplayed how
much upside there would be to having an athletic, rim running, and elite wing defender, who in a pinch, is big enough to hold his own for a 4 min segment in the post, and who could close games where IU is up 8-12 points.

I mean, look around the BIG, what bigs scare you with their size and interior offensive game?

Reese, Crowl, Golden, TKR, any other newcomers I'm missing?

I have no idea about the West Coast schools so cannot comment on anything with them.
Ohio st got Stewart

The improved guard play will also make the other guys better. But I also imagine coach will continue to encourage MR to shoot more 3's, just as they did with Race.

Numbers alone don't tell the story imo, and are you looking at their game stats, where I believe they were similar, but I think Ballo probably played about 7-8 fewer minutes per game, or their per 40 stat's which I think would be more telling and give Ballo the rebounding edge. Plus, Ballo is just the type of physical presence that forces opponents to stay out of the paint, where I don't think Ware was that intimidating. Sort of like TJD's senior season where I think he and Edey probably had similar game stats, but one was NPOY for a 1 seed and conference champ and the other was a few spots down, for a 4 seed who finished 3 games back in the conference. Ballo will help tremendously in forcing other teams to stay out of the paint and take tougher shots, thus lowering their shooting % and giving us more possessions and also with his offensive rebounding. I'm hoping maybe we can get him in a little better shape and maybe milk a couple more minutes a game out of him too. It is close, but I think Ballo will be a better fit for this team and the roster overall is much better, imo.

Reactions: YOTHN

What does "overcomes the idea that we will have 2 bigs down low fighting over paint space" mean?

Since the beginning of time, teams have had a post, or center, and a big forward. What nee ds to be overcome? Reneau hit some 3s and indicated he would be working on his 3 point shot. Malik can play outside of the post.

Reactions: asindc
Ware was really talented but I don't think we will miss him with Ballo. We may miss Sparks being gone as someone who can play when Reneau fouls out, but Ballo won't need to average 15ppg for IU to be good.
Better defense, guard defense, post defense. Better guard ball movement and generation. More fast tempo play on the dribble. And more quality depth, particularly for finding guys who can hit a shot- these are things that may give this upcoming team a big edge.

I am soooo looking forward to seeing guards guard the perimeter and pressure the ball, and then get transition baskets when we get steals. That's 6 ppg difference right there.

Ballo just needs to stay healthy, be a defender and score bunnies all day.

Reactions: RRgo
imho, college bball fans everywhere put too much faith in the "freshman to sophmore leap". there is no guarantee that happens. sometimes players regress during their soph year for a variety of reasons and then put it together for their junior & senior years.
im with north that we need another post player, preferably that can shoot. could be very difficult to sell that spot at this point.
and then we need a coaching staff with a strategy to bring this all together.

I am hopeful that we see better speed and defense from Tucker than Mgbako.

Whoever can guard wings like Johnny Davis, Caleb Houston, Murray brothers....that is who will play the 3 for IU. Personally I think there's a chance Mgbako is 6th man, but we will see.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Ballo, Reneau and Mgbako on the floor at the same time is defensive suicide. I don't care if Lu Dort and Jrue Holliday are out there with them, we'll get lit up.

If it was anyone other than Woody, it would be obvious by the off-season moves that we're spreading the floor. I'm sure we'll dig up a body to fill scholarship 12 and they'll be 6'8 or taller,. Reneau is going to play more minutes at the 5 than he does the 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT