ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical

Mar 10, 2024
MR, Ware, MM all return. We add a point guard and a shooter from the portal. That’s actually a pretty darn good team. And will Newton play next year?

MR, Ware, MM all return. We add a point guard and a shooter from the portal. That’s actually a pretty darn good team. And will Newton play next year?

Wasn't Newton in uniform today?
In previous games he had a jersey on but today it looked like a full uniform.

Ware goes pro. Reneau either transfers along with MM or they go G League. No front court, an up and down player in Galloway. A decent bench guy in Leal. Yeah, I'm not paying to see this train wreck.

Reactions: OrlandoHoosier
Can't imagine Ware returning. That said, I think Woodson can make a.pretttgood case to any big who enters the portal that he can get him to the league.
I can see Ware returning for several reasons. First He thrives in this system and his role won't diminish. Second, as long as He is, it wouldn't hurt Him to put on 10 pounds of pure muscle to better withstand the bigger bodies in the NBA. Last, He may want to take a look at TJD. Stayed the extra year and is getting consistent playing time and contributing for the Warriors in his rookie year as a 2nd round draft pick.

The NBA drafts and pays on potential, so if the Money is big enough and is the big concern, you go while the opportunity is there.

I can see Ware returning for several reasons. First He thrives in this system and his role won't diminish. Second, as long as He is, it wouldn't hurt Him to put on 10 pounds of pure muscle to better withstand the bigger bodies in the NBA. Last, He may want to take a look at TJD. Stayed the extra year and is getting consistent playing time and contributing for the Warriors in his rookie year as a 2nd round draft pick.

The NBA drafts and pays on potential, so if the Money is big enough and is the big concern, you go while the opportunity is there.
TJD was never close to being a projected borderline lottery pick. Ware has now put himself there. He can develop further in the NBA while getting a nice 4 year contract that is a much better financial proposition than 1 year of NIL. And without the risk of getting injured before cashing in. I would imagine that even Woodson will advise him to go. He gone.

TJD was never close to being a projected borderline lottery pick. Ware has now put himself there. He can develop further in the NBA while getting a nice 4 year contract that is a much better financial proposition than 1 year of NIL. And without the risk of getting injured before cashing in. I would imagine that even Woodson will advise him to go. He gone.
That is Woodson’s job. Get them to the league. Nothing less, nothing more.

Ware can put on muscle with NBA strength trainers, and he'll be able to work on his game and his conditioning full time without having to also be a student (to whatever degree these kids are anymore -- I assume they at least have to be present in a classroom a few times a week).

Reactions: kkott
MR is only one I could see back.
Portal will be a huuuge need for adding talent. Although short term.
Need a foundation to the program to build from. I hate to say it but look at PU.
Will lose Edey, Gillis, Jones and return a huge core in Smith, Loyer, TKR, Furst, Colvin, Heide.
Then add a 6 man top 10 recruiting class

MR is only one I could see back.
Portal will be a huuuge need for adding talent. Although short term.
Need a foundation to the program to build from. I hate to say it but look at PU.
Will lose Edey, Gillis, Jones and return a huge core in Smith, Loyer, TKR, Furst, Colvin, Heide.
Then add a 6 man top 10 recruiting class
I hate to say it but PU is doing it right. It used to be the way IU was run. Get a lot of four yr kids and develop them.

Newton is going to play next year. Question will be at what level, but I think he will get to full speed quickly.

Ware is gone. MM and MR will be back, they have a good thing going to get to the next level.

If Cupps stays, then they will sign at most 1 guard. I'm sure Leal and Galloway and Cupps (if he stays) are assured of lots of playing time. Factor in Newton and Woodson may feel like he is set at guard.

• Haha
If Cupps stays, then they will sign at most 1 guard. I'm sure Leal and Galloway and Cupps (if he stays) are assured of lots of playing time. Factor in Newton and Woodson may feel like he is set at guard.
You best not be counting on any of those guys to be your starting pg. Need to go find a really good one. And we need shooting. Guard play was the primary weakness this year.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. But if those 4 guys = our guard core next year than we are in real trouble.
We need a new offense and 3-4 shooters on the floor.

That is Woodson’s job. Get them to the league. Nothing less, nothing more.
It’s not the job of a head college coach to get a kid to the league. It’s to win. Matt Painter wouldn’t have a job if it was, because Purdue is one of the winningest programs over the last few years and they’ve had one kid go to the league.

Reactions: .Gerdis
d8f2413f-f74b-4c7d-800d-a9ff919f91e8_text.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT