ADVERTISEMENT

Any way Newton can return to 80% his before injry athletism?

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
He could have been IU's best overrall athlete this year without the injuries. Woodson isnt going anywhere with this H/A administration so hopefully he can help with defense next year.

Ware is gone, Hopefully MM, And MR can return and McNeeley will be a Galloway with a jumpshot.

Our guard and coaching will still remain bottom in the B1G so most likely nothing will change.

I'd sure love a new coach with MR, Mgbako, McNeeley/ Galloway and god forbid a decent pg in the portal. Meanwhile, UM, UL and OSU will better their situations.

He could have been IU's best overrall athlete this year without the injuries. Woodson isnt going anywhere with this H/A administration so hopefully he can help with defense next year.

Ware is gone, Hopefully MM, And MR can return and McNeeley will be a Galloway with a jumpshot.

Our guard and coaching will still remain bottom in the B1G so most likely nothing will change.

I'd sure love a new coach with MR, Mgbako, McNeeley/ Galloway and god forbid a decent pg in the portal. Meanwhile, UM, UL and OSU will better their situations.
In the NFL, coaches that are on or near the hot seat often change assistant coaches. A ne OC or DC for example. I wonder if Woodson lets anyone go.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
It’s pointless to speculate, but I think a new coach could keep our existing players as well or better than Woody can.

The players want to win and a competent coach would be a relief.
"The players Want to Win"??????

If that's the case..... they would have won their last 4 for 4 games.... and not gone 1 for 4.

Those three losses to Northwestern, Nebraska and Penn State never should have happened.

Sure... coaching has some to do with it... but it takes the players on the floor to make the plays.
It just didn't happen on those three games.

I'm not sure that these players have the heart or attitude to win any of our three remaining games.

I guess you all can tell that I've given up on this year.... and pretty much given up on
College Basketball as a whole..... with all the stupid NIL, Portals, type of NBA play, officiating.

The days are long gone when the players used to come to play for the Schools Name on their uniform.
When they would play for four solid years and gain experience and gel as a TEAM!!!!!!!

Tammany Hall.... No disrespect to you and your post... I'm just ranting.

The days are long gone when the players used to come to play for the Schools Name on their uniform.
When they would play for four solid years and gain experience and gel as a TEAM!!!!!!!
Really? There is a team in West Lafayette that still largely operates this way. Do agree that it’s not the case currently in Bloomington.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
Really? There is a team in West Lafayette that still largely operates this way. Do agree that it’s not the case currently in Bloomington.
"There is a team in West Lafayette that still largely operates this way."

Yep.... only to get knocked off by a 16 seed. Let's see how they rebound from that, this year.

At least they will be in the Big Dance

"The players Want to Win"??????

If that's the case..... they would have won their last 4 for 4 games.... and not gone 1 for 4.

Those three losses to Northwestern, Nebraska and Penn State never should have happened.

Sure... coaching has some to do with it... but it takes the players on the floor to make the plays.
It just didn't happen on those three games.

I'm not sure that these players have the heart or attitude to win any of our three remaining games.

I guess you all can tell that I've given up on this year.... and pretty much given up on
College Basketball as a whole..... with all the stupid NIL, Portals, type of NBA play, officiating.

Tammany Hall.... No disrespect to you and your post... I'm just ranting.
Ha I get it. I’m very negative on the coach, not as much the players, though a few have issues I admit. I worry some players really want it but they get trapped in Woody’s bad system and there isn’t much they can do.

Don't they have to apply for Newton's redshirt? He doesn't get that automatically. Whats going on there?

Let’s hope Newton makes a 100% return. At this level 80% won’t cut it for anyone.

I think 80% = Bench

The only piece of news I've heard was in an interview Cupps said that Newton wanted to join him on a schedule to work in the gym on shooting. That would indicate he was well enough to work out on the court.

I'm curious if he could use a year as a red shirt and a year as a medical redshirt like Rice had to do. It would give him a year to get 100%. He would basically become a 2025 recruit with experience.

The only piece of news I've heard was in an interview Cupps said that Newton wanted to join him on a schedule to work in the gym on shooting. That would indicate he was well enough to work out on the court.

I'm curious if he could use a year as a red shirt and a year as a medical redshirt like Rice had to do. It would give him a year to get 100%. He would basically become a 2025 recruit with experience.
That’s a great idea. But it’s not 1985. I’m afraid kids won’t want to do any of those “for the good of the program” moves anymore. Play now or move on. Gotta get a bag.

That’s a great idea. But it’s not 1985. I’m afraid kids won’t want to do any of those “for the good of the program” moves anymore. Play now or move on. Gotta get a bag.
It would be the best for him if he isn't quite healthy or strong enough to play to his ability. I'm thinking of Mo Creek that needed another year to recover and get back closer to his freshman level of success. He struggled on his return and last year with us but looked better after transferring and putting his injuries behind him.

Maybe a year from now but I have a hard time seeing him sniff the floor this season. To many unknowns and a ton of guys he would have to beat out to see the floor.

Kinda a Creek, PGraham vibe...
I get that pessimistic vibe or feeling too...

But I'm not sure that's backed up with any actual reporting or facts?

My optimistic side says his an elite athlete, he had horrible care and advice pre IU, now he's at a place that has access to world class treatment and care...he was reportedly working out at some capacity with the team at the end of the season. Another 5-6 months and he should get himself back and ready to roll.

Maybe his specific injury still has low recovery rates, I haven't kept up on that to be honest. But it seems to me that pretty much ANY injury nowadays, elite level athletes like him with top notch care, they make full recoveries.

Aging well.

Maybe a year from now but I have a hard time seeing him sniff the floor this season. To many unknowns and a ton of guys he would have to beat out to see the floor.
But wouldn’t that be one helluva story? He knows he’s being recruited over and celebrated for every new guard/wing they bring in. I’d love to see him be the best player on the team next year.

Full disclosure: Maker’s Mark might’ve contributed to this optimism.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
But wouldn’t that be one helluva story? He knows he’s being recruited over and celebrated for every new guard/wing they bring in. I’d love to see him be the best player on the team next year.

Full disclosure: Maker’s Mark might’ve contributed to this optimism

How can you know what 80% is, if you have never seen 100%?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT