ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else impressed with Leal's post game interview?

When he sat on the set with LaPhonso Ellis and company...

I thought he was the most polished, best speaker on that entire set. Really impressed with Anthony in a lot of ways lately. Very glad he's coming back next year.
The kid definitely is thinking about life after basketball, so that part doesn't surprise me. But, he seemed to be searching for the right words and phrases in the post game press conference more than I would have expected and he does an ad on Assembly Call and he's definitely reading and could have put some more life into it. Be interesting to hear him re-record it now, as I bet he'd already sound more polished. Leal Estate and a BTN analyt doesn't sound like a bad gig for a 25 yo!

I thought he was the most polished, best speaker on that entire set. Really impressed with Anthony in a lot of ways lately. Very glad he's coming back next year.
I thought the same thing, mature beyond his years. At one point, he passed a question to Ware to give him an opportunity to speak which (in my view) tells me he is a great teammate/leader.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I thought the same thing, mature beyond his years. At one point, he passed a question to Ware to give him an opportunity to speak which (in my view) tells me he is a great teammate/leader.
You're talking about the postgame press conference, not the studio bit. And I may be wrong, but Leal didnt defer that question to Ware, the moderator did.

Reactions: Tony Warwick
You're talking about the postgame press conference, not the studio bit. And I may be wrong, but Leal didnt defer that question to Ware, the moderator did.
You are correct, the post game press conference, Leal, Ware and Woody up there taking questions. I was drinking a bourbon, but I thought Leal was taking questions and at one point, he smoothly passed it to Ware to answer one. Maybe I'm mistaken, but Leal still came off as very polished.

The kid definitely is thinking about life after basketball, so that part doesn't surprise me. But, he seemed to be searching for the right words and phrases in the post game press conference more than I would have expected and he does an ad on Assembly Call and he's definitely reading and could have put some more life into it. Be interesting to hear him re-record it now, as I bet he'd already sound more polished. Leal Estate and a BTN analyt doesn't sound like a bad gig for a 25 yo!
I’m sure you have more press conference and television experience than Anthony. At your age maybe more radio experience? You should consult him on how you think he could do better.
I’m impressed with the young man as a teammate, player, student and human being. People that know him say he is very respectful and polite to everyone.
Proud to have him as a Hoosier!

I personally could not sit there in studio listening to Brucy babble on and then Rapheal Davis with his monotone mumbling.

I'm more impressed that he was alert enough to follow the shot and put himself in position for the easy putback. Other players I shall not name would have still been standing by the three point line picking their jocks.

Reactions: 76-1 and Sassy61
I'm more impressed that he was alert enough to follow the shot and put himself in position for the easy putback. Other players I shall not name would have still been standing by the three point line picking their jocks.
and give Leal credit, as soon as he made the shot, he had the sense to go cover Baldwin and PSU could not inbound to him. Very heady play.

I’m sure you have more press conference and television experience than Anthony. At your age maybe more radio experience? You should consult him on how you think he could do better.
I’m impressed with the young man as a teammate, player, student and human being. People that know him say he is very respectful and polite to everyone.
Proud to have him as a Hoosier!
As am I. I was just surprised as I've heard him speak before, and he's always been well spoken. I think he was just still on a high coming off playing and making that shot. I didn't hear the segment others are referring to, just my reaction. I've felt he might have a future in the studio or on air ala Davis or Hummel. My bad, I thought this board was for discussion!

Ball watching and freezing is more common than not on those last second situations. Its why there are so many put back buzzer beaters. Leal even referred to that when talking about it after the game. And its why most coaches instruct to go with time left on the clock for the put back, in most tied or down a point or two situations.

As am I. I was just surprised as I've heard him speak before, and he's always been well spoken. I think he was just still on a high coming off playing and making that shot. I didn't hear the segment others are referring to, just my reaction. I've felt he might have a future in the studio or on air ala Davis or Hummel. My bad, I thought this board was for discussion!
I was referring to him sitting at the desk with the 3 guys a few minutes after the game. He was very good. Poised, answered the questions they asked, didn't use a lot of filler words like Umm, Uh, Like, etc...

His actual voice might not lend itself to color commentary, but he could be pretty good in studio, I would think.

And obviously, I'm sure these abilities are transferring over and helping him with his business as well.

Reactions: kkott
Ball watching and freezing is more common than not on those last second situations. Its why there are so many put back buzzer beaters. Leal even referred to that when talking about it after the game. And its why most coaches instruct to go with time left on the clock for the put back, in most tied or down a point or two situations.
Irony- the newly crowned Def B1G player of the year was the one guilty of ball watching. Instead of blocking out and getting the defensive rebound. That slip ended his season. He blocks out Leal, then that ball falls into his hands. All it takes is one brain fart.

Also surprised PSU didn't call an immediate time out. They still had 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Irony- the newly crowned B1G player of the year was the one guilty of ball watching. Instead of blocking out and getting the defensive rebound. That slip ended his season. He blocks out Leal, then that ball falls into his hands. All it takes is one brain fart.

Also surprised PSU didn't call an immediate time out. They still had 5 seconds.
DEFENSIVE player of the year.

And I'm not sure I like a timeout there...go fast in chaos rather than allowing the defense to get settled in.

DEFENSIVE player of the year.

And I'm not sure I like a timeout there...go fast in chaos rather than allowing the defense to get settled in.
yes Defensive...that was the point I was trying to make but forgot to add that rather important detail.

I tend to agree with the chaos idea, as they got an all-too-good look at a game winning 3. Just figured when Leal cut off the passing lane to Baldwin, they would have called a TO and set up a play to get him the ball and go fast.

Reactions: 76-1 and kkott

I have seen him before and yes he is a very intelligent polished kid for his age. I heard Dakich was ripping on him last week, did he do so again today?

I thought he was the most polished, best speaker on that entire set. Really impressed with Anthony in a lot of ways lately. Very glad he's coming back next ye
I didn't see it but I was impressed with the put back. Glad for the kid actually because he didn't get a lot of playing time over the years.

I thought he killed it in layup lines as well.

I believe he’s a very classy young man, with a great future ahead of him. I was also impressed with Jamison Battle of Ohio State during his post game interview.

I have seen him before and yes he is a very intelligent polished kid for his age. I heard Dakich was ripping on him last week, did he do so again today?
Dan was ripping him because of his comment for IU fans to chill. I didn't like that comment either. You thank the fans and don't preach to them. You leave the preaching to me.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT