ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else tired of "the sky is falling" and "fire Woodson"

Bippy

Junior
Jan 20, 2002
Everyone seems to forget he was a late hire.
He was going to be stuck with Archie's roster (remember everyone whining about how awful Archie was) except nearly all were already in the transfer portal.
So his initial, and late, recruiting was just to get a core group back.
Only after that did he have the opportunity to go after talent in a depleted transfer pool.
And yes, he's was behind on all the 2022 recruits and is late to the game with the 2023 recruits.

As for "he's never coached in college", what a total crock of sh-t. Same game as the pros, 5 men on each team and only 1 basketball. And he has a bench with several "college" coaches so we all know that's a specious argument at best.

The real problem, he was stuck with a team that has no mid-range or outside shooters.

So rather than ad hominem attacks please try and keep the comments on topic (which I know is impossible for some).
I think he deserves a couple of years to turn the program around. What he did with the defense around was no small feat.

Fire Woodson is dumb. The coaching staff hasn’t been perfect. He played the seniors on senior night and they stunk up the gym. The coaching staff deserves credit for getting them A LOT of wide open looks and they couldn’t hit.

You can’t really coach around that. Bates is kind of a mess on the court, so he’s not the answer yet. You already know my feelings on Leal sitting all year.

I’m not going to be upset if most of the older guys move on. The book is already out on them.

If any of our perimeter players could actually reliably hit a wide open 3 pointer, we wouldn’t be here.
This is correct ..

fwiw - we (and the horrible offense created by Woodson's NBA buddies), generated 18 open 3 pt shots for our three best shooters. If they hit close to their percentage then this conversation doesn't happen. Anyone complaining about the coach, whose offense got 18 open looks from 3, doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground..

This is correct ..

fwiw - we (and the horrible offense created by Woodson's NBA buddie), generated 18 3 pt shots for our three best shooters. If they hit close to their percentage then this conversation doesn't happen. Anyone complaining about the coach, whose offense got 18 open looks from 3, doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground..
We are a team that doesn’t shoot well from the perimeter. So, to have the audacity to be surprised we didn’t hit a very large percentage of 3’s is interesting.

We are a team that doesn’t shoot well from the perimeter. So, to have the audacity to be surprised we didn’t hit a very large percentage of 3’s is interesting.
Are you just making stupid shit up? Who the f*ck is "surprised"?

You made the post, so it apparently was a reason in your mind we lost. Drawing up plays for open 3’s with this group hasn’t shown to be effective all season. Last night wasn’t going to be any different.
Parker was shooting 42%. Kopp 36%, Johnson 39%.

So basically you're not making shit up, you're just stupid.

Noted.

fwiw - stupid is better than dishonest, so you have that going for you.

You made the post, so it apparently was a reason in your mind we lost. Drawing up plays for open 3’s with this group hasn’t shown to be effective all season. Last night wasn’t going to be any different.
They pressed into zone the second half, and IU HAS to hit open looks. Otherwise the entire D is collapsing on a predictable post player forcing every action to his right shoulder. Can’t blame the post guys for that.

He was going to be stuck with Archie's roster (remember everyone whining about how awful Archie was) except nearly all were already in the transfer portal.
Only after that did he have the opportunity to go after talent in a depleted transfer pool.
And yes, he's was behind on all the 2022 recruits and is late to the game with the 2023 recruits.

As for "he's never coached in college", what a total crock of sh-t. Same game as the pros, 5 men on each team and only 1 basketball. And he has a bench with several "college" coaches so we all know that's a specious argument at best.

The real problem, he was stuck with a team that has no mid-range or outside shooters.

So rather than ad hominem attacks please try and keep the comments on topic (which I know is impossible for some).
I think he deserves a couple of years to turn the program around. What he did with the defense around was no small feat.
This team should be in the NCAA and they are not. You can use every excuse in the book you want but this team has not lived up to its potential period. And he brought in four of these guys so the he cannot win the Crean players old excuse is nonsense. This season was a major disappointment.

They pressed into zone the second half, and IU HAS to hit open looks. Otherwise the entire D is collapsing on a predictable post player forcing every action to his right shoulder. Can’t blame the post guys for that.
Plus TJD's skill set in a zone, basically gelds him and his only use is in the short corner.

It was a good gamble by Pikell that paid off...

This is correct ..

fwiw - we (and the horrible offense created by Woodson's NBA buddies), generated 18 open 3 pt shots for our three best shooters. If they hit close to their percentage then this conversation doesn't happen. Anyone complaining about the coach, whose offense got 18 open looks from 3, doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground..
Woodson should’ve ran action according to his personnel vs forcing NBA screen and role sets relying on point and wing guys to make plays off the dribble. Just not going to work with Stewart and Kopp. They need action similar to what Purdue does for Sasha, etc.

With that said, they had wide open threes all night, so…

This team should be in the NCAA and they are not. You can use every excuse in the book you want but this team has not lived up to its potential period. And he brought in four of these guys so the he cannot win the Crean players old excuse is nonsense. This season was a major disappointment.
Trace 😐

Parker was shooting 42%. Kopp 36%, Johnson 39%.

So basically you're not making shit up, you're just stupid.

Noted.

fwiw - stupid is better than dishonest, so you have that going for you.
Johnson is the only player of those 3 who have performed in big moments. Neither Kopp or Stewart are closers.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
With that said, they had wide open threes all night, so…

If stew or anyone else could have hit a few early, he would have busted it and made them go back to man... but he didn't. The gamble paid off .. next time it might not.

What I'm more tired of is drunks sitting on a couch saying stupid shit in relation to the coach. Every time the ball bounces the wrong way some numb nut ignorant MF has to say something stupid blaming Woody.

It's one game, one season, but nope 20 years of constipated impacted butthurt has replaced all sensible reasoning..

If stew or anyone else could have hit a few early, he would have busted it and made them go back to man... but he didn't. The gamble paid off .. next time it might not.

What I'm more tired of is drunks sitting on a couch saying stupid shit in relation to the coach. Every time the ball bounces the wrong way some numb nut ignorant MF has to say something stupid blaming Woody.

It's one game, one season, but nope 20 years of constipated impacted butthurt has replaced all reasoning..
Why so sensitive about Woodson? He’s making $3 million a year. No real development from Trayce, continually losing games the same way down the stretch over and over, often looking lost offensively at crunch time. I’ve got nothing against the guy and I’m not giving up on him, but there are definite areas of concern.

Don't forget the troubles with free throws.

It's one game, one season, but nope 20 years of constipated impacted butthurt has replaced all sensible reasoning..
I wish I could like this 100 times. Has there been a few shaky games where we ran some sets I wasn’t thrilled about? Sure. But overall this team gets more wide open looks than any team we play. Every single team we go up against, especially at home hits a ton of contested 3s and jumpshots on us. And yet we can’t seem to knock down anywhere close to 50% of our wide open looks (like no defender within 5 feet when you start your shot open).

imo Woodson has somehow gotten Stewart/Kopp/Race (brothers turtle), as well as X and Rob seemingly half their shots wide the F open. I don’t even know how you do that at the college level. I am excited to see what Woodson can do when he gets some talented offensive players in here.

I wish I could like this 100 times. Has there been a few shaky games where we ran some sets I wasn’t thrilled about? Sure. But overall this team gets more wide open looks than any team we play. Every single team we go up against, especially at home hits a ton of contested 3s and jumpshots on us. And yet we can’t seem to knock down anywhere close to 50% of our wide open looks (like no defender within 5 feet when you start your shot open).

imo Woodson has somehow gotten Stewart/Kopp/Race (brothers turtle), as well as X and Rob seemingly half their shots wide the F open. I don’t even know how you do that at the college level. I am excited to see what Woodson can do when he gets some talented offensive players in here.
I agree, it's a total talent problem outside of Lander and Bates, and those are based on potential and nothing solid we've seen consistently, there is not a single starting big 10 caliber player on the team. I hope Trayce and Race, aka Jess Settles move on. I think we'd be better off without them next year. They stay and next year will be a repeat of this. It needs to start somewhere, and it's time to blow it up and build immediately on what we have coming, be it a 4 guard thing or whatever, what we are doing and who's doing it is not working

It's baffling, but Parker and Kopp haven't combined to hit more than 4 treys in a game since back before x-mas. They combined to hit 3 last night, which is par for the course. They've combined to hit 4 on only 4 or 5 occasions dating back to the Notre Dame game, and I think we might have lost all of them other than beating the Irish. IU depending on Stewart and Kopp shooting it to victory or even giving a helpful boost hasn't proven to be fruitful.

It's just aggravating to see them on the floor together so often, but maybe that's just the best we can do with the current roster.

The same Ole "coach whiners" with no knowledge of a basketball program lifecycle... can't comprehend the reality of the situation or have realistic expectations. The engine is being built...it is sputtering a bit as it is being developed. A work in progress to be revealed in the coming year or so! They will continue their rants no matter what...some of their motives are suspect.

I agree, it's a total talent problem outside of Lander and Bates, and those are based on potential and nothing solid we've seen consistently, there is not a single starting big 10 caliber player on the team. I hope Trayce and Race, aka Jess Settles move on. I think we'd be better off without them next year. They stay and next year will be a repeat of this. It needs to start somewhere, and it's time to blow it up and build immediately on what we have coming, be it a 4 guard thing or whatever, what we are doing and who's doing it is not working
I appreciate what TJD and Race has done for us but I am ready to be away from the two undersized post players as our go to guys. If one comes back great but both, not unless they can suddenly shoot, dribble and pass on the perimeter.

Don't forget the troubles with free throws.
Remember how good the team defense is, which will only improve with better athletes.

IUs defensive stats are really amazing considering the minutes Stewart and Kopp get. Stewart is average at best and Kopp is just bad. Not an effort issue. Any B1G guard/wing has him on skates.

I don’t want to pile on these guys. The effort is there. Just is what it is.

Fire him..Well that isn't going to happen.
And he shouldn't be..
But I'd be real fired up if it takes two more .
This Indiana University. ..Not Liberty
He's going to be 64 ..You think he's coaching here at 70 ?
He need's to get busy...And get real player's in the portal..And develope the one's he has to run his offense..Whatever that is..
So far ..I'm unimpressed..
But willing to see what he brings in year two..

It's baffling, but Parker and Kopp haven't combined to hit more than 4 treys in a game since back before x-mas. They combined to hit 3 last night, which is par for the course. They've combined to hit 4 on only 4 or 5 occasions dating back to the Notre Dame game, and I think we might have lost all of them other than beating the Irish. IU depending on Stewart and Kopp shooting it to victory or even giving a helpful boost hasn't proven to be fruitful.

It's just aggravating to see them on the floor together so often, but maybe that's just the best we can do with the current roster.
Relying on those 2 to shoot Rutgers out of a zone was more of a wish than a strategy. Should have stayed with Geronimo (instead of Race) and given Durr some PT in the 2nd half. Guys who can loosen up the defense with short jumpers.

Relying on those 2 to shoot Rutgers out of a zone was more of a wish than a strategy. Should have stayed with Geronimo (instead of Race) and given Durr some PT in the 2nd half. Guys who can loosen up the defense with short jumpers.
Have to admit Geronimo looked comfortable with that jumper in the lane...
And that was there a bunch ..

This isn’t all on Woody. The program has stunk for decades (plural) and is perennially a middle to bottom-of-the-pack school. Fans pine for yesteryear but at least 6 schools in the conference passed IU years ago. Our fans are simply still stuck in Phase 1 of the grief process: Denial.

It’s down the list of attractive schools to play for in the conference. When the athletics department is run like a clown car segment at the circus, it’s simply not appealing to kids. IU doesn’t win in basketball. There is very little to offer a player in pointing to consistent success.

Fire him..Well that isn't going to happen.
And he shouldn't be..
But I'd be real fired up if it takes two more .
This Indiana University. ..Not Liberty
He's going to be 64 ..You think he's coaching here at 70 ?
He need's to get busy...And get real player's in the portal..And develope the one's he has to run his offense..Whatever that is..
So far ..I'm unimpressed..
But willing to see what he brings in year two..
No more portal, it's mostly all damaged goods. The portal needs to be examined for the occasional role player that wants to be closer to home or for some reason like that. There are no stars in the portal and it shouldn't be viewed as just as good as recruiting. Plus, it's not like we own the portal, the few talented players that find themselves there for non-troubling reasons will still gravitate to good programs, which we are not at the moment. You can find gold in JC players, they are there because of grades, not problems

They're both catch and shoots without much else to their game. Neither have or had an issue with percentage, the major issue has been getting them more shots. Which we are poor at. X plays with horse blinders on, Race rarely gives the ball up. Neither can shoot off the bounce and neither can create ..

As far as being on the floor, Galloway is injured, Phin is banged up, Bates hasn't adapted to the speed of the game and is out of position as much as Jordan is. Leal is the other option, but he's as slow as Kopp and shooting at less of a percentage .. and before Galloway was injured Stew was sitting ..

There's no easy fix like some of the drunks believe and bleat all over the board. this team has a bunch of ill fitting parts needing someone to tie it together .. we don't have that someone.

Well said. Our only strength was the inside game and without decent, dependable outside shooting, other teams could double team/pack the middle. That made our "offensive flow" so many on here complain about, look bad. Can't flow very well when so much emphasis is on throw it in to a guy with his back to the basket and hope he can bump and spin enough to get a dunk.

Last night Geronimo was playing well he should of had more time. Also the coaching was bad again the second half everybody standing around no play design no cutting action.

Reactions: birdforbogey

Yes, but not as tired as I am of watching dents getting put into the rims and trying to figure who to cheer for come tourney time.

I don't have a problem with what I saw from Woodson this year. It was the same team as last year except with a the Pitt cast-off, a mid-major player and a Northwestern player. This team had more needs than that. He deserves a few years, but that staff better get after it asap. I want to see at least mid-70s FT shooting. I want to see some damn tough players who hate losing more than they like winning. I want to see a go-to-guy. I want to see that "it" factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT