ADVERTISEMENT

Angel Reese, LSU basketball player

I was wrong about NIL. Caitlin makes more than 3 million and Angel 1.8 million. Both make more than any men basketball players. That’s interesting and surprising.

Reactions: UncleMark
IMO the men's game is trash, it is a bidding war with NIL and ease of transfer. The women's game is somewhat of a welcome relief to that, but probably more just knee jerk from traditionalist who long for the way it was in men's college basketball.

I enjoy athletic play, dunking is just one aspect of that. There is a reason the NBA has a dunk contest as it heightens the interest of the game.

IU women were good, and I'm glad the attendance was up it probably had something to do with how poor the men's team was and wanting to watch a win as opposed to a loss.
Men’s attendance was 4th in the country.

• Love
WHo we talking about here?
Reese. And she's, um, solid...to say the least. In other words:

images

IMO the men's game is trash, it is a bidding war with NIL and ease of transfer. The women's game is somewhat of a welcome relief to that, but probably more just knee jerk from traditionalist who long for the way it was in men's college basketball.

I enjoy athletic play, dunking is just one aspect of that. There is a reason the NBA has a dunk contest as it heightens the interest of the game.

IU women were good, and I'm glad the attendance was up it probably had something to do with how poor the men's team was and wanting to watch a win as opposed to a loss.

It is interesting how people like different parts of the whole. I am not a lover of the dunk, I fell in love with the game watching high school ball in the 60s, and the NCAA would then outlaw the dunk.

I wasn't a fan of the 3, but now I love it. It has that feel of a blast down the foul line, time for tension to build to see if it is fair or foul. In key situations, is that 3 going or not?

The part of the dunk I like is the play that got someone to the rim.

But dunks have been popular, or they would still be illegal.

It's out there.

Mulkey to IU?
Your comment on it being out there got me thinking. Did Reese take a lot of pictures where she was posed in a sexual manner? She said in her press conference that she was sexualized. Well, who was doing this to her and why? If she posed for pictures then somebody should have told her that people will be making comments if you do that. Now not all men or women will do this but some will.

The Iowa vs West Virginia game (2nd round) averaged 4.9 million viewers on ESPN

That 's about half the average viewership for men's games in the second round, but above SOME of the men's games, and some men's games were on CBS which 2x more people have access to.

The interesting aspect is the year-to-year trends. Men's game viewership is almost flat (up ~5%) this year over last, while women's game viewership has DOUBLED over last year.

This is based on the first two rounds. With all the Clark hype I expect rounds 3&4 ratings to be far better.

It's already blowing the doors off men's NIT games on the same network and similar time slots. Sure, nobody cares about the men's NIT. But you can no longer say that nobody cares about the top women's teams.

It's not must-viewing for me, but I've probably watched all 40 min of maybe 5 women's games this year, and parts of a dozen others (mostly IU). That's way, way, WAY up over past years.

• Angry
Reactions: Lucy01
Your comment on it being out there got me thinking. Did Reese take a lot of pictures where she was posed in a sexual manner? She said in her press conference that she was sexualized. Well, who was doing this to her and why? If she posed for pictures then somebody should have told her that people will be making comments if you do that. Now not all men or women will do this but some will.
There’s some stuff out there. She’s young though and, like most people, probably didn’t fully comprehend how some would use these posts/photos to throw stones.

Or she’s a whore. Either way I’m not sure why I’d care.

She said in her press conference that she was sexualized. Well, who was doing this to her and why?
Could be it was the LA Times reporter who apologized for writing racist and sexist things about the LSU players, or more likely fans of other teams on social media.

Why would they say racist or sexist things? Maybe they are racists and sexists!

Meanwhile Caitlin Clark is the female version of LeBron. Just complains non stop on the court.

They all suck. Not sure what the appeal is here.
Makes you appreciate the IU Women's team. They're all class and don't appear manly. They also don't whine on every call.

Did you even hear about the LA Times article on LSU women's basketball over the weekend that was so overtly racist and sexist that much of it was retracted within 24 hrs?

In the original version the LA Times writer referred to the players as "basketball villains" and “dirty debutantes.” He also called the Tigers divisive and America’s most polarizing team. He contrasted LSU and UCLA: “Do you prefer the team that wants to grow women’s basketball or the one seemingly hellbent on dividing it?” His message was clear: good vs. evil, UCLA vs. LSU. He reiterated longstanding racist tropes about Black people being thuggish, bullying, misbehaving; and somehow a threat to innocent, defenseless white women everywhere. He didn't quite call them "nappy-headed Hos" like Don Imus did years ago to the Rutgers team and got fired for it, but it wasn't a whole lot better. He is lucky to still have a job, and probably only does because he quickly apologized:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/o...haracterizing-lsu-players-as-dirty-debutantes

LMAO The LA Times is more liberal than the NY Times. Sounds like libs have a problem with strong black women.

I mentioned today at work that Clark had behaved herself pretty well last night and was told by a couple different people that her dad had told her to STFU with all the whining and bitching. Good for him (if true).
Yes, that happened a couple games ago.

I will be curious if the Olympic team adds her without her trying out, camp is this weekend. NBC surely wants it.

I mentioned today at work that Clark had behaved herself pretty well last night and was told by a couple different people that her dad had told her to STFU with all the whining and bitching. Good for him (if true).
Yes, he told her in the middle of a game . You could clearly see it on tv. Pretty funny.

Yes when you say she looks like a man. People rarely judge a men’s player on his looks, I can think of a few. People constantly judge women’s players on their looks. Why do you think Sydney has the most commercials for IU? Nothing wrong with it, but it’s just a fact that the better looking women will get the most deals, unless you are a superstar like Caitlin. I actually think I read Angel makes more than Caitlin though. And we CAN talk about how cute Trey is.
Gender is made up anyway, remember? Shouldn’t be an insult to claim someone looks like the other gender. Your take is bigoted & offensive.

Gender is made up anyway, remember? Shouldn’t be an insult to claim someone looks like the other gender. Your take is bigoted & offensive.
No one says gender is made up. You guys appear so silly when you try to do a gotcha like that, when actually all it does is point out your ignorance,

Almost 3 million Instagram followers, but no one knows who she is.
like I said Shes known because of what she did to Clark last year, made a big stir amongst racial lines and her a ton of money, was the whole point now she wants to bitch about how's she's treated.

Reactions: DANC
I figure as long as there are a few for you to look at you’re good. I hate jello, unless it’s Jell-O shots.
Ok that's 99% of it, but that last 1% drives the other 99!

OK, Jello shot wrestling... we have a starting point for this even now. Thanks for being a team player !!

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I find it hard to watch Women's basketball. There is a serious lack of athleticism and no defense. I'll stick to NCAA volleyball and Tennis as my women's sports to watch. Maybe Cameron Brink can change my mind.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
like I said Shes known because of what she did to Clark last year, made a big stir amongst racial lines and her a ton of money, was the whole point now she wants to bitch about how's she's treated.
Ok kurt. You don’t watch and don’t know much about it so I’ll leave you alone.. it’s ok to be racist and make death threats because they have a lot of money? Got it

I was wrong about NIL. Caitlin makes more than 3 million and Angel 1.8 million. Both make more than any men basketball players. That’s interesting and surprising.
Not really, girls drive trends and social media follows for the most part. As Bill Burr has joked, the only thing keeping women's sports from being popular and the athletes from making money, is women.

Teenage and twenty something girls/women are who most consumerism and fads are aimed at and driven by.

Not really, girls drive trends and social media follows for the most part. As Bill Burr has joked, the only thing keeping women's sports from being popular and the athletes from making money, is women.

Teenage and twenty something girls/women are who most consumerism and fads are aimed at and driven by.
True but I’d think girls would follow the boys more than the girls, but guess not.

True but I’d think girls would follow the boys more than the girls, but guess not.

I think it is kind of the women's magazine phenomenon. They sell pretty women to men because we like to look at pretty women. They sell pretty women to women because women strive to be the pretty women.

Attractive women "influencers" have the largest potential audience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT