ADVERTISEMENT

I’m officially sick of this garbage

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
As everyone here knows, I am a very liberal person when it comes to social issues. But, last night I went to Whole Foods. The last time I was there, I was with a girl I was dating who has quite a temper and is only 98 lbs, so when she drinks, as she likes to do, she can get loud and has a short fuse (In my opinion). So, last night, I went to have a beer at the Whole Foods bar before I went grocery shopping. The bartender from the time I was there with my girlfriend came and bellied up to the bar and her friend came and sat right next to her. I said, I am so sorry for what happened when I was here last time. And I just touched her shoulder when I said sorry. It came natural to me. Well, she acted like I was about to sexually assault her. She pulled away so quickly. I have never in my life experienced something like that.I was really shocked.

So, I said “I am so sorry!” I didn’t mean anything untoward at all. Nothing. Anyway her friend chimed in and said “she’s acting like that because you have no business touching her without her permission.” I said I meant nothing by that at all. I have always been an advocate for their causes. So her friend goes on to lecture me about pronouns, interrupting people when they’re talking (she was throwing so much nonsense at me I felt like I had to say something to defend myself).

But the final straw was her telling me she identifies as “queer”; again, I have no problem with that. Then she said “my husband is picking me up”. I assumed she meant a woman (it’s getting confusing) but she’s married to a guy. I said I’m sorry I misunderstood. I thought you said you were queer. I got another dressing down for misunderstanding that. I should have known that she was bisexual…even though when I said “sorry, I wasn’t thinking about being bisexual.” She actually said “Don’t label me as bisexual!” Then she said “I’m done with this conversation.”

I was flabbergasted. I would usually come away from an encounter like this feeling bad and guilty, but I don’t. They were nuts.

How can you deal with someone like that? Am I missing something? These women (I don’t know if they would like me to say women) were essentially looking for a problem that didn’t exist. Just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing.

Sigh….. What the hell???

As everyone here knows, I am a very liberal person when it comes to social issues. But, last night I went to Whole Foods. The last time I was there, I was with a girl I was dating who has quite a temper and is only 98 lbs, so when she drinks, as she likes to do, she can get loud and has a short fuse (In my opinion). So, last night, I went to have a beer at the Whole Foods bar before I went grocery shopping. The bartender from the time I was there with my girlfriend came and bellied up to the bar and her friend came and sat right next to her. I said, I am so sorry for what happened when I was here last time. And I just touched her shoulder when I said sorry. It came natural to me. Well, she acted like I was about to sexually assault her. She pulled away so quickly. I have never in my life experienced something like that.I was really shocked.

So, I said “I am so sorry!” I didn’t mean anything untoward at all. Nothing. Anyway her friend chimed in and said “she’s acting like that because you have no business touching her without her permission.” I said I meant nothing by that at all. I have always been an advocate for their causes. So her friend goes on to lecture me about pronouns, interrupting people when they’re talking (she was throwing so much nonsense at me I felt like I had to say something to defend myself).

But the final straw was her telling me she identifies as “queer”; again, I have no problem with that. Then she said “my husband is picking me up”. I assumed she meant a woman (it’s getting confusing) but she’s married to a guy. I said I’m sorry I misunderstood. I thought you said you were queer. I got another dressing down for misunderstanding that. I should have known that she was bisexual…even though when I said “sorry, I wasn’t thinking about being bisexual.” She actually said “Don’t label me as bisexual!” Then she said “I’m done with this conversation.”

I was flabbergasted. I would usually come away from an encounter like this feeling bad and guilty, but I don’t. They were nuts.

How can you deal with someone like that? Am I missing something? These women (I don’t know if they would like me to say women) were essentially looking for a problem that didn’t exist. Just wanting to argue for the sake of arguing.

Sigh….. What the hell???
There's only one thing to do. Just tell 'em to **** off.

Sigh….. What the hell???
my take after reading this is who in the hell goes to whole foods to get drunk?

Sigh….. What the hell???
that scares the shit out of me about dating. having my stoker walk out is getting worse by the day

Sigh….. What the hell???
So I am actually going to maybe go the non-epic route at the moment and share a few thoughts (which could turn into epic, I don't know sometimes I know I am throwing a bomb into the room and sometimes I don't).

First thought, I am extremely cognizant of touch. It is just my nature in general but outside of a handshake or like fist bump, I don't touch strangers/acquaintances. I have heard that one of the signs a woman might be into you is that she is reaching out and making physical contact with you. Knowing that, I figure women could take something like you did (thinking it was innocuous) and interpret that differently. Don't touch.

Second thought, a bar at Whole Foods? You commie pinkos are a weird lot. Smart on Whole Foods part I suppose, who hasn't gotten home drunk and raided the fridge? Sneaky capitalists sticking it to you new wave hippies.

Finally, back to more seriousness, we have been telling you all that this pronoun stuff is whack. She's bi, who gives a flying f. When rainbow becomes your personality and the rules of what is acceptable from day to day are constantly changing, eventually they end up turning off the "normies" (there I probably threw the bomb). Like live and let live but at a certain point you are just acting like a psycho and I don't want any part of the whole hot mess you got going on.

Semi serious out of the way, I want to know what kind of craziness someone could get into at the Whole Foods bar. Was your lady friend trying to grab the wrong melons and eggplant or what?

Reactions: vesuvius13
So I am actually going to maybe go the non-epic route at the moment and share a few thoughts (which could turn into epic, I don't know sometimes I know I am throwing a bomb into the room and sometimes I don't).

First thought, I am extremely cognizant of touch. It is just my nature in general but outside of a handshake or like fist bump, I don't touch strangers/acquaintances. I have heard that one of the signs a woman might be into you is that she is reaching out and making physical contact with you. Knowing that, I figure women could take something like you did (thinking it was innocuous) and interpret that differently. Don't touch.

Second thought, a bar at Whole Foods? You commie pinkos are a weird lot. Smart on Whole Foods part I suppose, who hasn't gotten home drunk and raided the fridge? Sneaky capitalists sticking it to you new wave hippies.

Finally, back to more seriousness, we have been telling you all that this pronoun stuff is whack. She's bi, who gives a flying f. When rainbow becomes your personality and the rules of what is acceptable from day to day are constantly changing, eventually they end up turning off the "normies" (there I probably threw the bomb). Like live and let live but at a certain point you are just acting like a psycho and I don't want any part of the whole hot mess you got going on.
They have a bar at Jewel now! And it’s packed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Semi serious out of the way, I want to know what kind of craziness someone could get into at the Whole Foods bar. Was your lady friend trying to grab the wrong melons and eggplant or what?
My lady friend (not the CPD officer) has a temper. And we stopped in after dinner to pick some things up but headed to the bar first. She was upset about something…but it was exacerbated by drinks. She likes whiskey, but whiskey doesn’t like her.

Sigh….. What the hell???
Maybe say, "Who said I wanted to talk to you, wench?" :cool:

Sigh….. What the hell???
There are jerks in all walks of life.. they were probably jerks even before coming out of the closet

Sigh….. What the hell???
I would have never guessed in a million years that Whole Foods has a bar. Do they have complimentary samples? Did you see a guy wearing a straight bill hat? It was probably Brad. I miss him.

I don't but I would assume someone who drinks at whole foods does.
happy homer simpson GIF

Reactions: DrHoops
I would have never guessed in a million years that Whole Foods has a bar. Do they have complimentary samples? Did you see a guy wearing a straight bill hat? It was probably Brad. I miss him.
Yes, they’ll give you samples.

Reactions: snarlcakes
First you should find a better place to get a drink. Secondly, come up with a comeback you are comfortable with, for me **** off is good enough. Third turn it around on her and ask why she bumped into you, even if she didn't, and that you don't like inadvertent touching as you never know the sexual symbols she is sending you.

I'm thinking Costco needs to get in on this action. Considering the bulk packaging there, I'm thinking one whiskey at the Costco bar would nearly kill me!

I'm thinking Costco needs to get in on this action. Considering the bulk packaging there, I'm thinking one whiskey at the Costco bar would nearly kill me!
Just about every grocery store here has a bar now. Mariano's, Jewel, Whole Foods, maybe others. It all started with Whole Foods' Chicago flagship store on Weed St. After that, everyone wanted in on the action.

There are jerks in all walks of life.. they were probably jerks even before coming out of the closet
That’s right. It was just so frustrating because no matter what I said it was the wrong thing.

I am a strong advocate of gay (generalizing) rights. There are so many cool gay and lesbian people that I know, but like the last years of Happy Days, at some point it jumps the shark.

Our local Kroger has a bar and it's always packed at night, mostly the 60+ crowd and almost all drinking wine. They even have live music most of the time. It can be rather annoying as some of them will just start wandering around the food aisles, drink in hand.

Other local grocery store (Jungle Jim's) also has a bar and I hear that place is absolutely packed on Friday nights. That one is more of a beer crowd.

That’s right. It was just so frustrating because no matter what I said it was the wrong thing.

I am a strong advocate of gay (generalizing) rights. There are so many cool gay and lesbian people that I know, but like the last years of Happy Days, at some point it jumps the shark.
Maybe they identify as daisies or dandelions? So your simple act of touching her (/it) was, in fact, an unwanted, forced attempted pollination. This will teach you to keep your digit-shaped gametes to yourself!!!!

Sigh….. What the hell???
That sucks. I have no good answers for you. You should not feel bad or guilty.

Reactions: DrHoops
The Whole Foods bar in Cupertino was a popular place when I lived nearby. You could grab some food from one of the counters (pizza, thai, etc.) or some desert and have a drink on the patio. They had tasting nights as well. Good times.

To add, we also had a fancy Starbucks Reserve down the street that did coffee tastings. I'm scarred from that place because some douche told the barista she was "naughty" for forgetting his sample.

Maybe they identify as daisies or dandelions? So your simple act of touching her (/it) was, in fact, an unwanted, forced attempted pollination. This will teach you to keep your digit-shaped gametes to yourself!!!!
I am not a touchy feely person. I literally touched her arm as people do when you feel embarrassed. It was probably less than a second. As a counter example. I was heading out to San Fran and I opened the overhead bin and my Kindle fell on this guy's head. I felt so terrible, I couldn't concentrate on anything else for the rest of the flight. I remember touching his shoulder and sayin "Are you okay? I feel terrible. I have never done something like that before." After the flight I went up to him again. We shook hands and I put my hand on his crotch (Just kidding!!!). I put it on his shoulder and said I feel terrible about what happened. Is there anything I can do to make him (and me) feel better? A bottle of wine? A gift card? I have no idea. He smiled and said it's no problem. It hurt at first, but he was fine. I apologized again and we deplaned.

I will add to this that in the business that I was in (raising capital for hedge funds) there are many different cultural habits that are acceptable depending on where you are. In Brazil, as an example, they bro hug at the beginning of meetings. That's pretty standard all over LatAm. In Japan, that would be a HUGE no no. Europe, it's a mixed bag. So, I think I have developed a smorgasbord of business interactions. And although the Japanese would be VERY uncomfortable getting a hug before a meeting starts, they probably would go with the flow.

It was the reaction that startled me. It was too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT