ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on new basketball shoes...

IUclover

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2015
One of my New Year's resolutions is to start playing in our weekly staff/faculty basketball game on campus (not IU). I used to play in the IU staff/faculty game while working at IU many moons ago but I essentially retired after attempting a steal and breaking my finger that led to another surgery. Broken bones and injuries lead to less time on the golf course so I gave it up. Outside of just shooting around, I think the last time I played in a game was 8-9 years ago.

So now I'm in need of a decent pair of bball shoes and I haven't been following what's good or what players/teams even wear. I think the last pairs I wore were re-releases of the Jordan 14, CB34, and Air Penny 1.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for Nike or Jordan shoes under $120, preferably mids and not lows but I'm open to whatever. From browsing last night, these are a few options I'm considering...

LeBron NXXT Gen
LeBron Witness 7
Jordan Jumpman Pro

One of my New Year's resolutions is to start playing in our weekly staff/faculty basketball game on campus (not IU). I used to play in the IU staff/faculty game while working at IU many moons ago but I essentially retired after attempting a steal and breaking my finger that led to another surgery. Broken bones and injuries lead to less time on the golf course so I gave it up. Outside of just shooting around, I think the last time I played in a game was 8-9 years ago.

So now I'm in need of a decent pair of bball shoes and I haven't been following what's good or what players/teams even wear. I think the last pairs I wore were re-releases of the Jordan 14, CB34, and Air Penny 1.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for Nike or Jordan shoes under $120, preferably mids and not lows but I'm open to whatever. From browsing last night, these are a few options I'm considering...

LeBron NXXT Gen
LeBron Witness 7
Jordan Jumpman Pro
Give in and accelerate the inevitable injuries and show those young punks how we did things back in the day: Chuck Taylor All Stars.

Give in and accelerate the inevitable injuries and show those young punks how we did things back in the day: Chuck Taylor All Stars.
I had some Jordan 4s back in my college days that felt like Chucks but I don't think I can do that again after the blisters. But you're right, I'm fully expecting another injury no matter what shoes I wear. The goal is to transition my game to old-man ball where I don't jump and nothing more than a jog up the court.

I had some Jordan 4s back in my college days that felt like Chucks but I don't think I can do that again after the blisters. But you're right, I'm fully expecting another injury no matter what shoes I wear. The goal is to transition my game to old-man ball where I don't jump and nothing more than a jog up the court.
I wish I could still play, but sadly those days are done. I still like to get out and shoot, but I've got a really f'd up ankle and knee, so no more games, other than HORSE or free throw golf.

Reactions: IUclover and T.M.P.
I can’t help with current shoes but can hopefully offer a visual chuckle. When I was at IU (72-76) I got very cheap converse high tops through the school. They sucked — thin soles & little arch support— but they met my top criteria = almost free.
I wore out my right shoe before my left & usually had two different colors at once like one green & one orange. People thought we were making a fashion statement but it was only a financial statement.
I was well prepared as my high school used black high top Frankenstein converses.

LeBron NXXT Gen
LeBron Witness 7
Jordan Jumpman Pro
Bro, you need to fetch some Travis Scott Cactus Jacks. Be chilly on the court. My 12-year-old says stuff like that and I have to watch sneaker videos all the time.

Bro, you need to fetch some Travis Scott Cactus Jacks. Be chilly on the court. My 12-year-old says stuff like that and I have to watch sneaker videos all the time.
i'll ask my wife if she's good with me taking out a home equity loan so i can buy $15k+ cactus jacks and also with the benefit of bein chilly (i have no idea what that means).

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Last pair I bought was Jordan 6 white/blue. Pretty decent but I imagine the new stuff blows those away. Bad knees and out of shape.
I think I had some wanna-be Jordan 6s from Wal-Mart when I was a kid. They may have been the Karl Malone LA Gear shoes or maybe spaldings. But that's what I'm thinking.. shoes should be better now so thought i'd try something newer.

If you haven't played in 8-9 years will the shoes really matter? You'l want good ankle support, that's about it.

If you haven't played in 8-9 years will the shoes really matter? You'l want good ankle support, that's about it.
That's pretty much why I'm asking. I just want something that's comfortable and with good support.. nothing flashy.

That's pretty much why I'm asking. I just want something that's comfortable and with good support.. nothing flashy.
Don’t ever skimp on shoes…for any reason. Don’t listen to cheapskates. Also..high tops actually give zero support or help in ankle protection.

Reactions: Pryght
Go cheap. They won't expect anything. Maybe you'll surprise them. But at least you won't feel like you didn't live up to the shoes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT