ADVERTISEMENT

Your Age and when

did you become a Hoosier fan? This might have been already done in the past but I see so many of you posting about how great things were years ago and wondered where we all rank in terms of who to feel sorry for not being able to experience what IU basketball really was and should be now. As for me, 69, and became a fan because of my dad in 1970. Sure had some great times and really miss sitting and watching the game with dad.
I became an IU fan because Steve Bouchie was our Mr. Basketball in Washington IN. This would have been the 79-80 season.

March 8, 1986. IU at Michigan for the regular season title on CBS. We lived out of state, so unless you were early on cable, you'd only get the handful of nationally televised games to see IU every year.

Michigan destroyed IU that day, and got the #2 seed in the Midwest. IU got the #3 seed in the East vs. Cleveland State.
Michigan 80
Indiana 59

1969-70. Came to IU on pigskin scholar from another state, with Coach P, then stuck with Corso.
Played some hyper roundball against Downing and Mac, got my butt kicked.
Came back later for Phd, taught there, tutored roundball and pigskin.
Was there in NOLA for the (original) shot
Will always be impressed with Coach Knight, especially with compassionate understanding of undergrad athlete demands and care for his players.
I see some similar values in Coach Woodson, and they've been missing in the intermittent years.
I'm about winning, on the court/field/track ... but have little patience for denigrating players.

Not lived in IN for nearly 40 years, follow IU sports ... men/women ... oblong/round /volley/baseball/softball ... track and field. Proud alumni,

P.S. I got a great education at IU. I'm grateful. I taught for a number of years, and have benefitted greatly from IU. Proud Hoosier from afar. As such, sadly in this era, I have little patience for some arm chair fans who (imo) don't understand (or care) about anything other than their egos.

P.S.S. I'm looking for news, reporting, interview, in depth info on student athletes and athletic department vision. I tire (easily) of talk re wagering, hiring/firing, player criticism. Now, I don't mind a "what are you drinking tonight" with your prediction.\

P.S.S.S. You can take any "sunshine pumper comments" to where the sun doesn't shine ... because my guess is you don't know the difference anyway.

My first lucid memory of IU was the ‘87 championship celebration at my folks house. I was about 6 years old. That party made quite the impression. Later in ‘89 I recall watching Jay Edwards buzzer beater over Michigan on TV. Those were fun years up until about ‘96.

Reactions: bbafficionado
did you become a Hoosier fan? This might have been already done in the past but I see so many of you posting about how great things were years ago and wondered where we all rank in terms of who to feel sorry for not being able to experience what IU basketball really was and should be now. As for me, 69, and became a fan because of my dad in 1970. Sure had some great times and really miss sitting and watching the game with dad.
I was but a wee lad. My parents were season ticket holders...I got to go to at least one game in the Fieldhouse in 1970...I remember John Ritter...when the Hoosiers moved to Assembly Hall...my parents went from two tickets to four...

I went to all the home games thereafter...

I will never forget 1976...and the chants...that started well before the game..."We're number one!"....

My fandom started in 70/71...so I was three or four years old. So I was there for 76 and 81.

I earned a couple of degrees from IU...so I was in the fountain in 87.

It's been a great ride...from a fandom perspective...

Pushing 73. First memories of IU basketball was watch Walt Bellamy with my uncle on a tiny B&W tv that was more snow than picture. Also remember watching Jimmy Rayle. I became a die hard Hoosier fan when a relative played basketball for IU beginning in ‘62 & have been a fan ever since. I also had a cousin that was a starter on the IU football team that went to the Rose Bowl. I never went to college, family couldn’t afford it, but my daughter graduated from there in ‘95

73-74? Russians at IU. UHF tv just came out ch. 32 out of Chicago.
No commercials, cameras rolling during timeout. Knight walks over to the ref standing by the endline and says "you better do something about these f#####s before I do."
I almost spit my joint out. After that I was a fan for life.
Russians at IU, I remember the stunned look on the Russian
players face when the IU professor sang the Russian national
anthem in Russian before the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT