ADVERTISEMENT

Your Age and when

Did not know we were the same age. Did you go to IU?
A couple years older but similar time frames at IU. Loved when some of the guys would play at the HPER especially how athletic Tolbert was. Were friends with Glen Grunwald who was so unfortunate to blow out both knees prior to his freshman season. He never had the chance to fulfill his basketball talent coming out of high school the number two player in the United States behind Bill Cartwright. We were watching from Boisen 4 when we beat PU in the NIT some were shooting bottle rockets out the window towards the courtyard and even at people. We were crazy stupid college students.

Without looking, four of IU's starters fouled out and I'm pretty sure not one of them fouled out the entire season before that. It was the most ridiculous officiating I've ever seen. I think it should have been investigated for criminal connections.
Absolutely. My blood pressure is rising right now. I can see it like it was yesterday. I think Valentine is finally done reffing. At least I have not seen him. I think I would punch him if I ever ran into him.

A couple years older but similar time frames at IU. Loved when some of the guys would play at the HPER especially how athletic Tolbert was. Were friends with Glen Grunwald who was so unfortunate to blow out both knees prior to his freshman season. He never had the chance to fulfill his basketball talent coming out of high school the number two player in the United States behind Bill Cartwright. We were watching from Boisen 4 when we beat PU in the NIT some were shooting bottle rockets out the window towards the courtyard and even at people. We were crazy stupid college students.
Absolutely. Grunwald was super highly touted and his knee injuries ruined that. However, he contributed and did very well after his playing career.

Absolutely. My blood pressure is rising right now. I can see it like it was yesterday. I think Valentine is finally done reffing. At least I have not seen him. I think I would punch him if I ever ran into him.
He was just doing a UNC game I was watching like 2 weeks ago. As soon as I saw the ref gesturing like mad, I was like "Damn, no way!"

62, but a young 62! ;) I was sort of paying attention to IU before 74-75 but became a diehard IU fan during that season. When IU lost to UK in the Final Four, I became a diehard UK hater as well. ;) I went to IU mostly because I was an IU fan. I was accepted to Notre Dame (just wanted to see if I could be) and every university I applied to, but I knew I was going to IU. I attended to IU from '79 to '83. Isiah Thomas was in my class, and we attended a large Freshman class together. He even knew me since he asked me how I was doing, by name, after we ran into each other my junior year (he did get his degree from IU for those that aren't aware). Woodson was my favorite player as a Freshman (his Senior year). 1981 Championship was a blast.
Iu didn’t lose to uk in the final 4

were they big saggy titties? don't give up on them you have some perkies in your future
Coeds kurt. They don't make em saggy! The dads with the old school cam corders can attest. I remember laughing my ass off at that!! Ahh the days before the iPhone.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
Oh Ive been screwed. But even If I started really watching as a kid, I just miss the 90's. Which was a few good teams, but I was 2 when we won our last title. Have at least good memories of our last final 4! Something I still have on PU fans lol.
The early 90’’s teams we so fun to watch. Alan Henderson’s knee injury proved devastating to the ‘93 teams chances at a National Championship, but the memories those guys provided were second to none. Not only were they all good players, they were all the type you liked rooting for. I remember how heartbroken I felt after we lost to Kansas 83-77 in St Louis, knowing you wouldn’t see that group ever play together again. The younger IU fans of today have no idea how much fun it is when Indiana basketball is rolling. It’s also why us older fans as more desperate than ever to get back to it.

IU northwest (Gary) Da Region. Dad would not pay to send me south but paid for this. Went to work for him after this which is what he really wanted and it worked out great for both of us.
Thanks for sharing. Being from South Bend I knew and played against many from the region. My favorite three high school teams.

Milan lost to South Bend Central at State - "Hoosiers" Marvin Wood who was real coach ended up coaching at Mishawaka high school.

Indianapolis Washington - McGinnis and Downing

- !971 East Chicago Washington = Junior Bridgeman. Pete Trgovich and Tim Stoddard. Two great college players and played in the NBA and a MLB pitcher. Not bad for one high school team.

IU northwest (Gary) Da Region. Dad would not pay to send me south but paid for this. Went to work for him after this which is what he really wanted and it worked out great for both of us.
Thanks for sharing. Being from South Bend I knew and played against many from the region. My favorite three high school teams.

Milan lost to South Bend Central at State in 1953. Beat Muncie Central to win the state in 1954 - "Hoosiers" Marvin Wood who was real coach ended up coaching at Mishawaka high school.

Indianapolis Washington - McGinnis and Downing

- !971 East Chicago Washington = Junior Bridgeman. Pete Trgovich and Tim Stoddard. Two great college players and played in the NBA and a MLB pitcher. Not bad for one high school team.

Iu didn’t lose to uk in the final 4
Correct-- I guess we're all so old our memories are getting a little foggy haha.
It was a regional played at Rupp. I remember watching the game and thinking the fix was in.
And I always thought I was right because they changed the rule the following year that you could not have a regional on your home court.
Hhhmm...

Correct-- I guess we're all so old our memories are getting a little foggy haha.
It was a regional played at Rupp. I remember watching the game and thinking the fix was in.
And I always thought I was right because they changed the rule the following year that you could not have a regional on your home court.
Hhhmm...
I always said if I ever ran into Bob Guyette (sp) I would hit him like he did on Scott Mays soft cast that he tried to play with if my memory serves me right. LOL

did you become a Hoosier fan? This might have been already done in the past but I see so many of you posting about how great things were years ago and wondered where we all rank in terms of who to feel sorry for not being able to experience what IU basketball really was and should be now. As for me, 69, and became a fan because of my dad in 1970. Sure had some great times and really miss sitting and watching the game with dad.
47 years old and right around 1983. Primarily because I remember watching Uwe Blab. Not that he was my favorite player but his name was so unusual, it just stood out.

Last edited:
I always said if I ever ran into Bob Guyette (sp) I would hit him like he did on Scott Mays soft cast that he tried to play with if my memory serves me right. LOL
I fact checked myself and May only played 7 minutes in our 92-90. Kent Benson 33 points and Steve Green 17. Mike Flynn 22 points, Kevin Grevey and Jimmy Dan Conner 17 each for Kentucky. May and Guyette both had two points and Guyette had four fouls.

I've turned 39 so many times I can't remember the exact count. But it is approaching 39 too.
But I can remember listening to IU on the radio and Don Schlundt lighting it up.
Next up was Archie Dees for the Hoosiers (on TV ?, maybe).
Jimmy Rayl and Walt Bellamy were were fun to watch during the 1st IU games I viewed on TV. Just a side note on Bellamy, he was the most devastating rebounder in my memory which includes Wilt, Russell, Unseld and Alcindor.
All time favorite IUBB players Bellamy, Bobbie Wilkerson, Woodson and of course Cal. If I rated them 1 thru 4 I'd hate to live on the difference that would separate them. But those NC teams of Knight's + the early 90's teams were sweet as pure honey running the motion offense.
HAIL IU.

did you become a Hoosier fan? This might have been already done in the past but I see so many of you posting about how great things were years ago and wondered where we all rank in terms of who to feel sorry for not being able to experience what IU basketball really was and should be now. As for me, 69, and became a fan because of my dad in 1970. Sure had some great times and really miss sitting and watching the game with dad.
Looks like I'm the oldest one to respond--85--and I'm a female. My first memory of IU basketball was listening to the second national championship game on the radio. Then, I attended IU 1956-60, and I am still a diehard fan, win or lose!

It was at the age of 11 when I first watched Jimmy Rahl chuck 'em from the cheap seats and Walt Bellamy dominate the boards. It was then when I became sold on IU! Hell yes, I'm a fossil! Those games were watched on a black and white set with the signal coming through a rusty antenna. "Chesty" was the "go to" chip! And the only "peacock" I knew of was a bird in a zoo🤣 I remember when a friend who was attending Army spoke with me on the phone and mentioned that they were losing their basketball coach, Bob Knight, to Indiana. He went on to say that IU was getting a strict no-nonsense brilliant strategic coach who really knows his "x's and o's." And a few years later, I was fortunate to witness one of the best college teams ever and the last one to finish a perfect season. Two more NCAA Championship banners followed. Cherished memories! We enjoyed some many good seasons and some under achieving ones, as well, but now, well, at age 74, sadly, I highly doubt that I will witness banner #6😥 I truly hope I'm wrong.

Just seeing that guy out there really irritates me. I don’t believe he’s allowed to do Big 10 games and I think the ACC also banned him. He may be done.
I wish the rumor of him and some lady of the night would pop back up here. She said Ted was talking about being taken cared of for taking Knight out. But then again, she coulda been a crackhead lol. Something to do with the week earlier bullwhip ordeal with Calbert Cheaney.

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT