ADVERTISEMENT

Woody's Challenge

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
I love the job Woody's doing and I love the effort this year's team is putting forth. They appear to be a hard-working group that cares about IU and winning. The challenge with this team, however, is that nearly every player has a major deficiency that's crucial to playing the game at their own particular position.

Xavier: Close to a complete PG. Not a pure shooter and is a little too hot-headed for a point guard, but is doing a great job
Race: Close to a complete four-man. An inconsistent shooter but a very consistent defender and rebounder

TJD: Poor shooter, no mid-range game, limited off-hand ability
Parker S: Limited defender, slow, can't create own shot
M Kopp: Limited defender, slow, can't create own shot
Phinisee: Poor shooter, injury prone
Galloway: Poor shooter
Geronimo: Can't create own shot, seems lost and confused on defense at times
Durr: Lacks quickness and elevation
Lander: Lacks size and strength, very loose handle, poor shooter
Bates: Poor shooter

I know every player on every team in every sport has strengths and weaknesses. It just seems weird that so many of our guys have MAJOR deficiencies in areas that are so important at their position. I think Woody's challenge is to recruit more complete players and do his best to mask the deficiencies of the roster he inherited.

I love the job Woody's doing and I love the effort this year's team is putting forth. They appear to be a hard-working group that cares about IU and winning. The challenge with this team, however, is that nearly every player has a major deficiency that's crucial to playing the game at their own particular position.

Xavier: Close to a complete PG. Not a pure shooter and is a little too hot-headed for a point guard, but is doing a great job
Race: Close to a complete four-man. An inconsistent shooter but a very consistent defender and rebounder

I know every player on every team in every sport has strengths and weaknesses. It just seems weird that so many of our guys have MAJOR deficiencies in areas that are so important at their position. I think Woody's challenge is to recruit more complete players and do his best to mask the deficiencies of the roster he inherited.
in other words, we need a magician

For a stretch he was playing like one of the best PG’s in the conference.
I think X is a kid that isn't a natural PG. But he's been put in that role in college because of his speed and skillset.

Usually when that happens you get what we're seeing from X...uneven performances.

And TJD looked like the best player in the country until teams realized you had time to run to the bench and get a sip of water as long as you got back to within 3' of the rim to guard him.
remember those 2 jump shots he took in November from about the free throw line??

What do you specifically love that Woody is doing? Only thing I see is that his team plays hard. Offensive scheme is terrible. Fundamentals are terrible. Passing, ft shooting, blocking out, etc..

What do you specifically love that Woody is doing? Only thing I see is that his team plays hard. Offensive scheme is terrible. Fundamentals are terrible. Passing, ft shooting, blocking out, etc..
He’s apparently only listening to NBA guys like Hill and Whitman. Not listening to Fife or Matta at all and it’s really showing. Fife might possibly leave if you listen to the rumors. Sounds like Woody’s ego is getting in the way.

He’s apparently only listening to NBA guys like Hill and Whitman. Not listening to Fife or Matta at all and it’s really showing. Fife might possibly leave if you listen to the rumors. Sounds like Woody’s ego is getting in the way.
I agree, his recruiting class next year doesn’t address needs. Elite of but still no shooting or front court help. Needs to hit a HR in the portal for a big guy

Reactions: dbmhoosier
I agree, his recruiting class next year doesn’t address needs. Elite of but still no shooting or front court help. Needs to hit a HR in the portal for a big guy
Have you looked at next years class at all? I am not saying they will impact in year one (we all know how tricky that can be), but no needs?
2 wings who can handle the ball and show some ability to score at all 3 levels. We don’t need that? We have one guy on our roster right now who looks like he might fit that role and it’s Bates. One of those guys may be a pg (or at least one who can fill that role some). We don’t need depth at the point? Banks is 6’8” and can shoot. We don’t need a stretch 4? We don’t currently have one of those on our roster unless you count Geronimo who is the size of a 3 with a 4’s game.

Every person in next years class addresses a glaring need. Unfortunately until the coaches get a clearer picture of who is coming back and who is not we are unsure if we can even sign more.

Have you looked at next years class at all? I am not saying they will impact in year one (we all know how tricky that can be), but no needs?
2 wings who can handle the ball and show some ability to score at all 3 levels. We don’t need that? We have one guy on our roster right now who looks like he might fit that role and it’s Bates. One of those guys may be a pg (or at least one who can fill that role some). We don’t need depth at the point? Banks is 6’8” and can shoot. We don’t need a stretch 4? We don’t currently have one of those on our roster unless you count Geronimo who is the size of a 3 with a 4’s game.

Every person in next years class addresses a glaring need. Unfortunately until the coaches get a clearer picture of who is coming back and who is not we are unsure if we can even sign more.
Elite pg coming in and two projects.

Reactions: birdforbogey
He should be looking to Matta and Fife to help dig his team out of a hole. He's not a basketball genius, that's obvious. He has solid college basketball minds at his disposal, if he doesn't use them, it's IU loss. NBA..... it looks the basketball I watched at Reservoir Park Park in Fort Wayne when I was kid. Just much better talent.

Last edited:
Well unfortunately as we have seen with Lander and Bates, even elite talent might be projects. We won’t know until they get here and see them against Big Ten talent. But needs are certainly being addressed.
Need a big man in this class badly that can play right away

Call me skeptical, but after the things I read before and after Archie was let go will forever have me doubting the validity if anyone who says they have inside information.
Archie seemed like he was on an island, alone, by himself.

I don’t get that impression with our current coach. Not saying that I would take internet inside sources seriously, but I think it’s fair to assume that Coach W has a wider circle of those he is communicating with (and many of those with IU ties)

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Need a big man in this class badly that can play right away
I just don’t know how you can say that right now. If TJD comes back with Durr and Duncomb do we need a 4th? Same if Race comes back? We essentially have 4 college centers on our roster right now. It’s actually one of our problems imo. I doubt we even look for a true 5 unless more than 2 of our 4 leave.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Archie seemed like he was on an island, alone, by himself.

I don’t get that impression with our current coach. Not saying that I would take internet inside sources seriously, but I think it’s fair to assume that Coach W has a wider circle of those he is communicating with (and many of those with IU ties)
That is probably true but anyone saying that Woody isn’t listening to his assistants is probably an idiot more than an insider.

Well unfortunately as we have seen with Lander and Bates, even elite talent might be projects. We won’t know until they get here and see them against Big Ten talent. But needs are certainly being addressed.
It seems every recruit we even sign is going to be the next great thing until they get on the court and we see them. Just in this post Banks and Gunn are really being talked up like day one ready to go guys even though both are incredibly skinny. People want I guess to think every recruit that IU signs is going to be some sort of savior. Remember the way Kopp, Steware, and X were talked up all summer long.

Reactions: DANC
I just don’t know how you can say that right now. If TJD comes back with Durr and Duncomb do we need a 4th? Same if Race comes back? We essentially have 4 college centers on our roster right now. It’s actually one of our problems imo. I doubt we even look for a true 5 unless more than 2 of our 4 leave.
If if if..we need a stretch 4 that can shoot. Also their is a risk TJD and race are not back

That is what it sounds like and if Fife or any of the assistants leave that is a massive massive red flag one year into this. And it shows Dolsons genius move of surronding him with this all state coaching staff is a big fat waste of time. It makes sense because I am not seeing very good coaching downth stretch and Matta is a very good coach so I would expect better.

Reactions: birdforbogey
yep go find some of the Brad Stevens threads from BTB mid March 2021. Got everyone spun up for 2 weeks and looking back now, was just one-sided speculation.
Maybe so on that one but he has been right more than he has been wrong. And as far as Stevens who knows if he was wrong it might of almost been a done deal and Stevens backed out. We will never know for sure.

He should be looking to Matta and Fife to help dig his team out of a hole. He's not a basketball genius, that obvious. He has solid college basketball minds at his disposal, if he doesn't use them, it's IU loss. NBA..... it looks the basketball I watched at Reservoir Park Park in Fort Wayne when I was kid. Just much better talent.
Well he is from the NBA and maybe does have a masive ego. That is why this whole thing was so risky to take an NBA who does not know college. On paper it looked good bringing in college guys to help him but if he does not want their help what is the point. Like I said if Matta or Fife leaves after this year it is a big red flag.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
That is what it sounds like and if Fife or any of the assistants leave that is a massive massive red flag one year into this. And it shows Dolsons genius move of surronding him with this all state coaching staff is a big fat waste of time. It makes sense because I am not seeing very good coaching downth stretch and Matta is a very good coach so I would expect better.

What?

Dolson didn't make Woody hire any of his assistants.

Get out of here with that mess.

It seems every recruit we even sign is going to be the next great thing until they get on the court and we see them. Just in this post Banks and Gunn are really being talked up like day one ready to go guys even though both are incredibly skinny. People want I guess to think every recruit that IU signs is going to be some sort of savior. Remember the way Kopp, Steware, and X were talked up all summer long.
Kopp, X, and Stewart were always possibly questionable in my mind, because they never won anything. But Bates was talked as being the next Ivey and a possible one and done. That was certainly unrealistic.

Reactions: ericrossiu
He should be looking to Matta and Fife to help dig his team out of a hole. He's not a basketball genius, that obvious. He has solid college basketball minds at his disposal, if he doesn't use them, it's IU loss. NBA..... it looks the basketball I watched at Reservoir Park Park in Fort Wayne when I was kid. Just much better talent.
I noticed against O$U, Fife was much more actively coaching - getting out on the floor and in guys' ears at Time Outs.

I hope that's a trend.

Duncomb? Seriously?

Reactions: bigmac76
I've heard Michigan may be looking for a new coach next year..... maybe Fife has his eye on that job. (j/k)

Woody might not be the long term solution, but the rumor doesn't hold up against his reputation. The AC guys have speculated, but that's all it is. Fanboy speculation.
It is amazing how when you lose a few games the world is crashing down. I mean people are speculating stuff based on the seat Dane Fife sits in on the bench. Just crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT