ADVERTISEMENT

Hummingbirds?

Same here. By now we usually have around 20 feeders out. We have six and I fix three quarts every two days. People keep asking how many we have and can’t believe how few are here. I think you hit it on the nailhead with all your possibilities. Including Biden, Trump and aliens in one group.
If I could, I'd vote for the alien.

Same here. By now we usually have around 20 feeders out. We have six and I fix three quarts every two days. People keep asking how many we have and can’t believe how few are here. I think you hit it on the nailhead with all your possibilities. Including Biden, Trump and aliens in one group.
Eh, I figured we men are always complaining about how scarce the hummers are!

I try and tell the ladies in the FB group: "Give a hummer, get a hummer!". So far it's not catching on.

Eh, I figured we men are always complaining about how scarce the hummers are!

I try and tell the ladies in the FB group: "Give a hummer, get a hummer!". So far it's not catching on.
Great one. My wife didn’t think that was a great idea either.

Really weird experience today. I had pulled about a dozen feeders out ready to go. At one time I had 10 up. I just cleaned four more today to put them away. I’m keeping five out. Seems like September. Maybe next year will be a good year.

• Sad
Reactions: kkott
Really weird experience today. I had pulled about a dozen feeders out ready to go. At one time I had 10 up. I just cleaned four more today to put them away. I’m keeping five out. Seems like September. Maybe next year will be a good year.
Yep, nature keeps you guessing. Such a good metaphor for life and sad to me how few kids, my own included, that get exposed to and experience nature like we used to.

NW IN hummers back now--pair in front and pair in back hitting the $1000 in flowers wife just got for the patios.

2 grosbekes and a Baltimore oriole.

Birds just got a late start north this year--except the grackles.
Our Maine Coon killed a Baltimore oriole chick earlier this spring & I was upset until my neighbor asked me to ID a nest & it was an active BO nest. First time I’ve seen them here in Far NW indy in yrs. Really glad about that.

Our Maine Coon killed a Baltimore oriole chick earlier this spring & I was upset until my neighbor asked me to ID a nest & it was an active BO nest. First time I’ve seen them here in Far NW indy in yrs. Really glad about that.
I was fishing with a buddy the weekend before last at a lake up in Fulton County. Saw Orioles everywhere alont the shore where it was wooded, often 3-5 together at a time. It's been forever since I've seen so many.

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson
I was fishing with a buddy the weekend before last at a lake up in Fulton County. Saw Orioles everywhere alont the shore where it was wooded, often 3-5 together at a time. It's been forever since I've seen so many.
We had two for a couple days a week or two ago but haven’t seen them since. Would have been nice to have them stick around for once.

I'm in a FB Hummer group and just about every other post is asking why that is and talking about how few hummers people are seeing. I think my activity is down about 75% but I guess I'm lucky. I still get a visit every 2-3 minutes between my 4 feeders. But by this time, usually there would be at least 1 feeding at all times.

Haven't seen anything that feels like "the explanation"... bird flu, migration interupted by storms, cicadas, Biden, Trump....aliens. Take your pick!
How do you sign up for a hummer group? I agree, there aren’t enough hummers anymore.

Reactions: kkott and bwcoach
How do you sign up for a hummer group? I agree, there aren’t enough hummers anymore.
You have to request to join, tell them why you want to join and be approved. I lied and said I liked birds.

I never thought of it, but I reckon a hummingbird would work much like a buzzbait.
Now that I think about it, they do sort of remind you of a Heddon Crazy Crawler.

c84290b58b.jpg

Why not both?
Hummingbirds weird me out. They are so maneuverable and have those sharp little beaks. If they wanted to be predators, there is basically no way to stop them. A flock of them would kill anything.

I've felt that way for awhile, and then there's an episode of the show Dark Matter where killer birds overrun an entire alternate universe earth in, days? Weeks? Not sure, but they kill EVERYTHING.

Hummingbirds weird me out. They are so maneuverable and have those sharp little beaks. If they wanted to be predators, there is basically no way to stop them. A flock of them would kill anything.

I've felt that way for awhile, and then there's an episode of the show Dark Matter where killer birds overrun an entire alternate universe earth in, days? Weeks? Not sure, but they kill EVERYTHING.
For me it's spiders. If they banded together, fuggedaboutit.

Hummingbirds?

Hummingbirds?
You gotta love the theory. Even if the beaks couldn’t puncture a balloon or a wet Kleenex. Soft and really flexible. But still the thought is interesting, and possibly a good movie. We hummer feeders would be saved since they like us. Go Hummers lookout all you haters and especially the spiders since they eat them.

Reactions: Mgdriver
By the way, has anyone else seen an uptick in activity? We’re putting out about a gallon or so every other day.
Not anything like that. Up to a pint a week now. Just really slow all spring and summer until about a week and a half ago.

I have seen an increase too. I think it's pretty much back to normal for me. I don't have anywhere near your activity level, but I'm getting pretty consistent activity and visits and would guess between my 4 feeders, I have a hummer visiting one almost constantly at this point, and they're sticking around and guarding feeders too, so they are almost always around. I can hear them chittering whenever I go out on my front porch because they perch in a couple of trees out front.

Someone posted a picture in the FB hummingbird group I'm in of an albino hummer. It was in Colorado, but perfectly white. Here's a similar one I found online:

images

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You gotta love the theory. Even if the beaks couldn’t puncture a balloon or a wet Kleenex. Soft and really flexible. But still the thought is interesting, and possibly a good movie. We hummer feeders would be saved since they like us. Go Hummers lookout all you haters and especially the spiders since they eat them.
Are h-bird beaks soft and flexible? I thought all beaks were rigid.

I suppose that would ease my mind, but we're still only one mutated gene away from having roving bands of murder clouds.

Are h-bird beaks soft and flexible? I thought all beaks were rigid.

I suppose that would ease my mind, but we're still only one mutated gene away from having roving bands of murder clouds.
We had a hummer fly into the window at the bar where I worked a few years back. It stunned it so badly that it couldn’t fly. I picked it up and held it and flipped its beak and it really surprised me how flexible it was. So yes it’s flexible and probably wouldn’t fit in tight areas.

I'm just going to act like I didn't see this thread on a sports site.

I think a little differently about some of you. Js

• Haha
Got a question for the non challenged IT guys. How come I get PhishPhan’s pic of the cup holder feeding the hummers on my emails but on this site no where to be found?

I'm just going to act like I didn't see this thread on a sports site.

I think a little differently about some of you. Js
And none of us give a shit. JS

Got a question for the non challenged IT guys. How come I get PhishPhan’s pic of the cup holder feeding the hummers on my emails but on this site no where to be found?
You may have that file type (.gif) blocked on your browser.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT