ADVERTISEMENT

Woody's Challenge

It is amazing how when you lose a few games the world is crashing down. I mean people are speculating stuff based on the seat Dane Fife sits in on the bench. Just crazy.
I would be surprised if there weren't some tension among the staff in the midst of a losing streak. They are passionate about winning, and bringing IU back. That's why they were hired. So sick of the incessant negative vibes.

Kopp, X, and Stewart were always possibly questionable in my mind, because they never won anything. But Bates was talked as being the next Ivey and a possible one and done. That was certainly unrealistic.
I get the impression some think Gunn and Banks are going to come in and contribute from day one. I think they really need to temper expectations both are very skinny and iut is a massive jump to college and the Bates situation should prove that.

It is amazing how when you lose a few games the world is crashing down. I mean people are speculating stuff based on the seat Dane Fife sits in on the bench. Just crazy.
That would be true if we have been making the NCAA and suddenly this year started losing. But we have quote been losing a few games for close to twenty years now. This year is just the current version of the losing a few games as you would say. You act like this is anomoly and we are suddelenly just now losing.

And its not just a few games it is five in a row . A few is two games.

That would be true if we have been making the NCAA and suddenly this year started losing. But we have quote been losing a few games for close to twenty years now. This year is just the current version of the losing a few games as you would say. You act like this is anomoly and we are suddelenly just now losing.

Actually I believe 2 would be a couple, and a few would be 3 if we really want to go down that road.
But yeah, it sucks and is beyond frustrating and I’m sure the coaching staff is frustrated too. But just because the program has been a dumpster fire the last 5 years doesn’t mean that the current staff is going to implode. Fife and Woody came to IU to turn it around. There are going to be growing pains. Will it happen? We’ll see. But the first true adversity they face as a staff doesn’t mean they’re going to run away all of a sudden.

Actually I believe 2 would be a couple, and a few would be 3 if we really want to go down that road.
But yeah, it sucks and is beyond frustrating and I’m sure the coaching staff is frustrated too. But just because the program has been a dumpster fire the last 5 years doesn’t mean that the current staff is going to implode. Fife and Woody came to IU to turn it around. There are going to be growing pains. Will it happen? We’ll see. But the first true adversity they face as a staff doesn’t mean they’re going to run away all of a sudden.
Nobody said they are running away. But if they do run away it is a red flag this early on. Doesnt every coach come to turn it around? Maybe not Archie but Crean came to turn it around. But you are correct we have no idea if it will happen or not. People like to pretend it for sure will and they do this with every coach IU hires. I remember hearing early on in Archies tenure oh he is so much better than Crean. Crean would of lost this game by twenty, etc. Archie has us going in the right direction. The fact is Woodson never coached college so we really have nothing to go off of in regards to him having success in college. Hopefully it works out but we likley will not know for several years.

Then a logical mind might conclude that the problem is the quality of the players as much as the quality of the coaching. Crean is an absolute moron in terms of understanding the game, but he won a couple of B1G titles and made it to the sweet sixteen twice due to having elite talent. Hell, he made a FF at Marquette with elite talent.

Firing Archie was completely justified because he could not (for whatever reason) land enough talent to be a contender. That may be true of Woodson as well, but that determination is a couple of years down the road. Laying this recent string of losses to superior teams at the feet of the current coaching staff is not only unfair, it's laughable.

Thinking that Mike Woodson should be able in one season to elevate a group of one-dimensional, limited-skill players into a B1G title contender and a legitimate NCAAT team reflects some serious basketball ignorance.

I would be surprised if there weren't some tension among the staff in the midst of a losing streak. They are passionate about winning, and bringing IU back. That's why they were hired. So sick of the incessant negative vibes.
You might worry if there weren’t disagreements along the way. You don’t get to that level as a player, and then a coach if you aren’t competitive as hell. It doesn’t have to mean they hate each other and Fife is leaving all of a sudden. They almost certainly don’t see eye to eye 100% of the time but they have the same long term vision and that is why they’re both here. You can’t tell me Fife and Izzo didn’t have disagreements over the years.

This thread contains some of the most hysterically dumb and negative speculation and opinions you’ll ever see. It comes from our notorious Negative Nancy Whine Club. They’re very “special.”

This thread contains some of the most hysterically dumb and negative speculation and opinions you’ll ever see. It comes from our notorious Negative Nancy Whine Club. They’re very “special.”
I believe the posters are reporting that this info is coming from another IU message board. That board is a whole lot more glass half full type posters than this one. There is a lot of smoke coming from normally positive places. It takes some people longer to realize things than others.

Then a logical mind might conclude that the problem is the quality of the players as much as the quality of the coaching. Crean is an absolute moron in terms of understanding the game, but he won a couple of B1G titles and made it to the sweet sixteen twice due to having elite talent. Hell, he made a FF at Marquette with elite talent.

Firing Archie was completely justified because he could not (for whatever reason) land enough talent to be a contender. That may be true of Woodson as well, but that determination is a couple of years down the road. Laying this recent string of losses to superior teams at the feet of the current coaching staff is not only unfair, it's laughable.

Thinking that Mike Woodson should be able in one season to elevate a group of one-dimensional, limited-skill players into a B1G title contender and a legitimate NCAAT team reflects some serious basketball ignorance.
Laughable? You almost seem shocked we have been able to even with 7 games with this group of misfits many of whom Woodson brought in. I guess I have yet to read anyone saying they expected this team to challenge for the big ten title. Please source somebody who said this. Sure many of us thought they would made the NCAA but if I understand you correctly that was a totally unrealistic goal and we are all very ignorant for even thinking that. What should the goal have been NIT or not even that was that aiming too high? Are we allowed to have any expectations or none until a coach is three years in?

I believe the posters are reporting that this info is coming from another IU message board. That board is a whole lot more glass half full type posters than this one. There is a lot of smoke coming from normally positive places. It takes some people longer to realize things than others.
The guy I quoted is often right or I would not have wasted my time posting it. There are tons of bs rumors by people but he has a pretty good track record. So people can call it bs or whatever that is fine but if it ends up being true do not act all shocked like it came out of nowhere.

When the actual name of an actual insider is attached to the rumor I will give it some consideration. Until then, it's convenient fodder for the hysterical, or those desperately seeking status as someone "in the know". Most of those types are happy to be rumormongers peddling their own biased opinions disguised as someone else's facts. Typical behavior for those whose first inclination after every loss is to fire the coach.

When the actual name of an actual insider is attached to the rumor I will give it some consideration. Until then, it's convenient fodder for the hysterical, or those desperately seeking status as someone "in the know". Most of those types are happy to be rumormongers peddling their own biased opinions disguised as someone else's facts. Typical behavior for those whose first inclination after every loss is to fire the coach.
That’s all you can do. If you believe everything on these message boards, then, well you are an idiot.

That’s all you can do. If you believe everything on these message boards, then, well you are an idiot.
Who would do that? No one is that dumb. Most intelligent people only believe what they want to believe on message boards.

And TJD looked like the best player in the country until teams realized you had time to run to the bench and get a sip of water as long as you got back to within 3' of the rim to guard him.
Yeah, TJD holds the ball in his extended hand so long trying to decide what move to make it gives time for defenders to recover from the water break refreshed.

Reactions: DANC

...2-3 is a couple of games...a few is 4 or more...but continue since you relish extremes...

What's the big rumor? Spill it!

remember those 2 jump shots he took in November from about the free throw line??
I think about those all the time. I really don’t get why he doesn’t take that shot often. It’s there multiple times a game and I bet he hits 50% of those or close to it. That alone will force teams to guard him to at or just outside the FT line.

I stopped at X close to a complete point guard....
I turned on the last game late, just as the announcer was saying it was X's 5th TO in the first five minutes of the game. I questioned myself if perhaps he was on drugs. It was his 10th TO in his last 45 min. of basketball. I thought he might be jacked up on something.

The guy I quoted is often right or I would not have wasted my time posting it. There are tons of bs rumors by people but he has a pretty good track record. So people can call it bs or whatever that is fine but if it ends up being true do not act all shocked like it came out of nowhere.
So what's the rumor?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

So profoundly and aptly put. Finally some sanity buttressed by BB IQ.

Duncomb? Seriously?
I only say it because he is a center. With Woodson wanting to make the transition to a 4 out, how many true centers is he going to keep on the roster? I personally believe no more than 2 with perhaps a tweener who can play 4 and 5 if called for. We currently have 4 players who would be considered centers in Woodson’s offense. So if Duncomb can’t play you are stuck with him or ask him to leave. You cannot just load up on centers to the detriment of the rest of the roster.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I only say it because he is a center. With Woodson wanting to make the transition to a 4 out, how many true centers is he going to keep on the roster? I personally believe no more than 2 with perhaps a tweener who can play 4 and 5 if called for. We currently have 4 players who would be considered centers in Woodson’s offense. So if Duncomb can’t play you are stuck with him or ask him to leave. You cannot just load up on centers to the detriment of the rest of the roster.
Yeah, but he's a non-factor. He's not a reason to keep someone good at his position from being recruited.

It seems every recruit we even sign is going to be the next great thing until they get on the court and we see them. Just in this post Banks and Gunn are really being talked up like day one ready to go guys even though both are incredibly skinny. People want I guess to think every recruit that IU signs is going to be some sort of savior. Remember the way Kopp, Steware, and X were talked up all summer long.
I agree and think they absolutely might need a year or two. However they are still addressing glaring needs imo. I would much rather build through high school recruits over transfers.

Most freshman are non-factors. Especially when TJD and Race take up 95% of the center minutes.
Seriously - if Duncomb was even competent, don't you think he would see the floor for at least a few minutes every game?

We play a lot of other freshman, if you haven't noticed.

Seriously - if Duncomb was even competent, don't you think he would see the floor for at least a few minutes every game?

Yes without a doubt. I cannot people keep talking about him being one of the main three guys up front next year. The guy cannot even get off the bench.

We only have 2 freshmen and 1 plays. That one plays because the star talent ahead of him are… wait for it… Kopp and Stewart. Duncomb has TJD and Race ahead of him with Durr who is physically able to handle Big Ten bigs. So no, unless he came in better than TJD or Race as a freshman I would not expect to see him much.

Reactions: ckfritz1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT